What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Into Darkness named WORST ST film EVER

Comments

• Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Out of the TNG-era movies I found Nemesis to be the best. I felt that Picard was out of character and the ending made no sense but the movie had a good theme to it and a nice overall flow. Unfortunately it made the least amount of money of all the Trek films.

As is usually stated about the TOS-era films, the even-numbered films are the best: 2, 4, 6. #1 was way too slow, #3 was the best of the odd-numbered but still erratic, and #5 was, IMHO, the worst Trek film ever made. Ever!

I have no major issues with the JJ-Trek films - just as I had no major issues with Enterprise, Voyager, or DS9 when they began. I'm not a Trek purist, I'm just a Trek fan.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 4,051 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    shevet wrote: »
    I went to see "Into Darkness", and even put together a sort of review of it. I doubt it'll change the mind of anyone who's seen the film... and I doubt even more that it will change the mind of anyone who hasn't. But here's what I thought.

What did I think? Well, a TOS purist like me ("I spit on your Voyager! I call down a thousand curses on your Enterprise!") shouldn't like it much, right? But, in fact, I did. For that matter, I more or less liked the first Abrams reboot film, too. OK, it's not classic Trek, but it's kind of fun, it's an inventive approach to the re-imagining of the series - whether or not it needs re-imagining is another question. But, both films entertained me, and that's enough to win my approval... up to a point, at least.

There's no question that "Into Darkness" looks good, for a start. In some ways, it's an improvement on the first JJ-Trek; it's not plagued with nearly as much flagrant scientific illiteracy, it doesn't show J.J. Abrams' weird obsession with destructive red globes (was he frightened by a snooker match as an infant?) and for most of the film, the characters' faces aren't obscured by lens flare. So, a step up from JJ-Trek 1. The production values are consistently high, there's a solid look about it, the future world it's portraying feels realistic and credible. There are good touches, like some of the 23rd-century London settings being easily recognizable.

The basic outlines of the plot: Jim Kirk runs himself into trouble on a primitive planet, violates the Prime Directive and winds up busted down to First Officer on the Enterprise, under the long-suffering Captain Pike. (I didn't even recognize Bruce Greenwood; my, he has aged.) However, a sinister figure called "John Harrison" (Benedict Cumberbatch, playing the superior being with eerie conviction) is setting up terrorist attacks on Starfleet, and before long Captain Pike's sufferings have come to a bullet-riddled end, and Kirk is off on a semi-official mission of retribution, pursuing "Harrison" to the Klingon homeworld, with the plausibly deniable blessing of Admiral Marcus (Peter Weller) and the even less official companionship of the Admiral's daughter Carol (Alice Eve). Catching up with "Harrison", they discover his real identity, and also that Admiral Marcus has set them up to provoke open war with the Klingons. When Marcus comes after them in the Starfleet dreadnought, the USS Vengeance, Kirk and his crew have to team up with "Harrison" to defeat the rogue Admiral, then cope with the fallout of "Harrison"'s inevitable double-cross....

And it's all got plenty of action - possibly too much action; the lengthy final act of the movie involves a battle in space, Kirk and "Harrison" being fired across space to board the enemy ship, Kirk and Scotty scrambling through the bowels of the Enterprise as the ship tumbles out of control and the artificial gravity goes all wonky, the enemy ship crashing into San Francisco, and then Spock chasing "Harrison" down and having an interminable fist-fight with him on the back of a speeding vehicle. It all gets rather frenetic... which is a good thing, from the point of view of keeping things moving, and also distracting me from considering the plot holes until after the final credits have rolled. Because plot holes there are, and they are there in abundance.

For a start, the two primary antagonists - "Harrison" and Marcus - have, not so much a plan, or even a plan each, but several bits of plans that don't actually fit together. That Marcus, attempting to start a war with the Klinks, could draw on "Harrison"'s expertise in warfare, I can stomach; that "Harrison" would respond by going rogue, I could also believe. But, from then on, neither man seems to have a clear idea what he wants. "Harrison" is attempting to retrieve his fellow spoilers from Marcus's clutches, but his attack on Starfleet would have stood an excellent chance of killing Marcus - would have succeeded in that, were it not for Kirk - and, at this stage, Marcus (alive) is the only man who can give him what he wants. And Marcus then does give him what he wants, sending the spoilers off with an oblivious Kirk, for no reason at all that I can think of. (Going through with his official plan, to blow up "Harrison" on Kronos, would get him his war with the Klingons. For that matter, Kirk's own antics on the planet's surface would have much the same effect. Either way, there is no reason for Marcus to put the spoilers in jeopardy.) "Harrison"'s tactics thereafter - surrendering to Kirk and giving him the information he needs to unravel Marcus's plot - rather depend on a) Kirk not agreeing with Marcus (which is by no means a given), b) Marcus responding in exactly the way he does, and c) a certain faux-Scottish comic relief and deus ex machina having snuck aboard Marcus's ship to sabotage it before it can kill Kirk, "Harrison" and the spoilers all at once. OK, so everything does work out the way "Harrison" expects... but, with luck like that, he should be playing the tables in Vegas.

Talking of the faux-Scottish deus ex machina, his own purpose-built plot hole from the first movie shows up... "Harrison" uses his transwarp-transporter dodge to get from Earth to Kronos, rather forcibly reminding us that, in this universe, starships are actually completely obsolete. To further sabotage any future films in the setting, Doctor McCoy manages to use "Harrison"'s magic blood to devise a reliable and repeatable cure for, well, just about anything up to and including death. Expect that one to be glossed over in the next film, too. (Incidentally, McCoy's insistence that they take "Harrison" alive, for his magic blood, is a bit silly given that McCoy has full access to 72 spoilers, all of whom have the same magic blood. But I digress.)

In short: an awful lot of things in this movie happen Just Because. It's In The Script. This is, to be brutally frank, a flaw. And, I'm afraid, one of the things that happens Just Because... is central to the whole concept. And that's a problem.

See... the re-creation of the original series roles works fairly well in most cases. Karl Urban makes a convincing grouchy-but-loveable McCoy; Simon Pegg is more than decent as Scott, even if he is treated by the script as a mixture of comic relief and get-out-of-plot-hole-free card. Anton Yelchin's Chekhov is even more excitable and hapless than the original (and Walter Koenig's Chekhov was never over-endowed with hap in the first place). John Cho's Sulu is just sort of.... there, though, and Zoe Saldana's Uhura is just another generic omni-competent action girl. Zachary Quinto plays Spock pretty well, though with little of the original version's charm. But Chris Pine as Kirk, well -

- well, the characterization makes all kinds of sense. The idea is that when the time-lines diverged, in the first reboot, Jim Kirk's father was killed, and young Kirk grew up with no paternal authority figure, and consequently ran all kinds of wild. And this fits, and Pine plays it well, with twice Shatner's cockiness and a very small fraction of Shatner's assurance and moral authority. It makes sense.

What doesn't make sense, though, is why anyone should trust this young-hotshot version of Kirk with command of a starship. Or why Spock would like him. Or, for that matter, why he would like Spock. The two characters just don't gell.

But... it's Star Trek! And Captain Kirk has to be Captain of the Enterprise, and Spock has to be his first officer and his best friend! It's In The Script!

And so it is. And the script makes occasional efforts to justify it, but they just make the problem more obvious. Captain Pike says he "saw greatness" in Kirk, and all I think is, he'd have done better to see an optician. Kirk and Spock assure each other that they're friends (and Spock gets all jealous when Carol Marcus joins the team, especially when she gets on the shuttle and sits down between him and Kirk, oo I saw what you did there Abrams, very subtle.) But the idea that the two are best buds forever, when everything you actually see shows that they can't stand the sight of each other... it just doesn't work.

Still.... it's not, actually, a bad film. It's spectacular; Cumberbatch and Weller both make good villains (I can't shake the feeling that Cumberbatch, when he's playing a genetically augmented superior being, isn't actually acting). Several of the cast are clearly enjoying themselves, which is always good. There are shout-outs to the great originals; Spock gets to do his "needs of the many" speech and scream "John Harrison's real naaaaaaaaaaaaame!!!!", McCoy gets to insist on his profession, Scotty gets to drink and talk in a phony accent, and so on. It's all well-done stuff, it passed a couple of hours very pleasantly for me, it will likely do the same for anyone else.

But, it has all those plot holes. And it has that central problem with the characters. At the end of the day... it's not really Star Trek. Dammit.

PHEW!! Reading all that i need to have a lie down now LOL. Great response though :):)
  • Options
    goku5030goku5030 Member Posts: 229 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    The fact that Galaxy Quest is in the list shows how stupid the list is.

Yes the newest movie had its problems but I still would have less difficulty watching it then Star Trek The Motion Picture. Star Trek The Motion Picture is the most boring of them all.

You do know that's how it started right O_o... so yeah it went on to Tng then deep space nine then other shows then after that it stoped... So its not boring I respect the old films because its the beginning .. I seen all the frek movies and I was born in the 80s to now.. so I still watch them sometimes because that's the beginning of the star trek movies... Then they replace the old characters with new cast but I still like kirk and spock :P...
  • Options
    bridportbridport Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I thought this was a good film. IMO Insurrection was the worst.
    In Game Characters,
    Dagoth Commanding Officer of the R.S.S Sabre, Scimitar Class Dreadnought.
    Nelson, Commanding Officer of the Victory - E, Armitage Class Carrier.
    Jones, Commanding Officer of the Sovereign, Sovereign Class Battleship.
    Fleet Admiral of Approaching Storm, the Servers fastest growing Fleet.
  • Options
    nakedcrooknakedcrook Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    How is Generations NOT at the top of the list? That movie was total garbage.

Rick Berman decided to shoehorn KIRK into a TNG movie? Pfft. Still...Into Darkness was also pretty lame. I remember when Spoooooook yelled "Khan". I literally laughed out loud. It was embarrassing for everyone.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

If you oppose the Reputation nerf, feel free to use my signature
  • Options
    ussprometheus79ussprometheus79 Member Posts: 727 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I puked after watching Into Darkness, it was so bad. Like eating a 20yr old hot dog.... :eek:

It just wasn't right....it had no soul. :(
    If you've come to the forums to complain about the AFK system, it's known to be bugged at the moment.
  • Options
    drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited August 2013
    This thread is evidence enough that this poll should not be taken as a fact in any way, shape or form. There's no group of people this large that thinks one way about anything. It certainly doesn't reflect my attitude towards the films and I'm a life-long Trek fan.

Let's put this one to bed, shall we?
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • Options
    kimmymkimmym Member Posts: 1,317 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I enjoyed Into Darkness. I liked it far better then The Motion Picture, and found it better over all then The Final Frontier. I also did not enjoy The Voyage Home.

I didn't mind Nemesis, yeah I'm weird, but I wasn't a fan of Insurrection. Thats 4 Trek movies I'd watch Into Darkness over.

Again, I'm weird. J.J. is certainly not my favorite Trek experience, but I do not have quite the malice others do for it. I accept it for what it is.
    I once again match my character. Behold the power of PINK!
    kimmym_5664.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Space Orphidian Possiblities Wizard
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,115 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    1) Considering it was stated he only asked 100 attendees, I'd say the sample is a bit too small.

2) For the 'worst Star Trek film ever' - interesting that (even adjusting for inflation); it's the most financially successful Star Trek film to date. (Hell, remember that 'Nemesis' - which was rated higher' was #2 after the Jenifer Lopez 'Maid in Manhattan' on its opening weekend.)
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    chris919ukchris919uk Member Posts: 189 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I still haven't seen "Into Darkness" yet. At present I still consider Star Trek V to be the worst movie.

Star Trek III is also borderline poor as well as Nemesis, Generations and Insurrection. I don't think that Star Trek: The Motion picture is that bad, sure its slow in places but it was the first movie so I can forgive a lot.

Star Trek II, IV and VI are my favourites as well as First Contact.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "You have not experienced Shakespeare until you have read him in the original Klingon, taH pagh, taH be"
  • Options
    mandoknight89mandoknight89 Member Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    goku5030 wrote: »
    You do know that's how it started right O_o... so yeah it went on to Tng then deep space nine then other shows then after that it stoped... So its not boring I respect the old films because its the beginning ..
    TMP is by no means the beginning (which would be TOS).

At any rate, being the first or the beginning doesn't excuse something from its faults.
  • Options
    kazisakikazisaki Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    personally i think the honor of worst trek film should go to Star Trek V. the story was just dreadful.

planet of galactic peace, taken over by rogue cultists "oh snap thats ma bruddah"- spock "blah blah blah heaven blah blah sha ka re"- sybok. cue uhura fan dance, captain chekov... break in to the enterprise. "sup god"-kirk "sup guys fly me off this rock"- G.O.D. "what does god need with a starship"-kirk "rawrrrr youuuuu" G.O.D. klingons save everyone thanks to spock.

my apologies for the error loaded summary.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    chris919uk wrote: »
    . I don't think that Star Trek: The Motion picture is that bad, sure its slow in places but it was the first movie so I can forgive a lot.

Slow in places?????
    Where was it fast. TMP is like watching dull grey paint dry.

STID isnt the worst Star Trek film by a longshot. Final Frontier takes that cake...Search for Spock comes close (hey lets throw out everything good about WOK....Spock sacrifice, Kirk having a son)
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • Options
    chris919ukchris919uk Member Posts: 189 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    khan5000 wrote: »
    Slow in places?????

Er. When you fast forward it? ;)
    STID isnt the worst Star Trek film by a longshot. Final Frontier takes that cake...Search for Spock comes close (hey lets throw out everything good about WOK....Spock sacrifice, Kirk having a son)

Final Frontier is the best reason for not letting William Shatner direct anything.:) As Sybok would say in regard to Trek V, "I feel your pain".
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "You have not experienced Shakespeare until you have read him in the original Klingon, taH pagh, taH be"
  • Options
    scruffyvulcanscruffyvulcan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Slow in places?????

While I thought it was okay, I gotta' admit, the pacing was just painful.

I mean, I like beauty shots as much as anybody, but Kirk's shuttle ride to the Enterprise made me want to scream, "JUST GET THERE ALREADY!"
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,115 Arc User
    edited August 2013

I mean, I like beauty shots as much as anybody, but Kirk's shuttle ride to the Enterprise made me want to scream, "JUST GET THERE ALREADY!"

Then there's the whole 'travelling into the cloud' sequence (which is MUCH shorter in the Director's Cut DVD version along with other small (but good) changes and edits):eek::D;)
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    thegalaxy31thegalaxy31 Member Posts: 1,211 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Or Insurrection? Or Final Frontier?

I agree with you on Insurrection... Star Trek Generations was a LOLFAIL.
    I would love to visit this star in-game...or maybe this one!
    Won't SOMEONE please think of the CHILDREN?!
  • Options
    jam3s1701jam3s1701 Member Posts: 1,825 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Thats because Jar Jar Trek isnt Trek

Trek died with Nemesis
    JtaDmwW.png
  • Options
    crappyturbocrappyturbo Member Posts: 201 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Why is it some people claim that if it is not in the TOS or MIRROR time line it is not trek?

Was there not an episode of TNG where we find out that there is 200,000+ different time lines? JJ trek is another timeline.

Personally I enjoyed both of JJ's movies and would like to see what the Federation is like in Picard's time.
  • Options
    misterde3misterde3 Member Posts: 4,195 Arc User
    edited August 2013

There were several reasons for that movie's shortcomings.
    They wanted to show how much better everything looked compared to the grainy shots of a 1960's TV show. You could also call that pride.;)
    The movie was actually not complete (!) when it was put in theatres yet the 133 minute runtime had been set. For example the Director's Edition has dozens of sound effects added here and there missing from the theatrical cut due to time constraints. The annoying "Emergecy Alter" blaring sound was also replace by a decent altert sound without the voice. There were also several missing scenes. To to get to the proper running time they added special effects for padding.:rolleyes:
  • Options
    jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    Die hard Trek fans hating new Trek dear god...wait that's not new diehard TOS, and diehard TNG fans have been fighting each other since the 80's.

Nemesis better HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Riiight Nemesis threw everything Picard was out the window in one shot.

how is it that Picard has no problem killing his alternate reality future self like a boss, but his clone Ohhh nooooooo I must cry here till Data shows up and beams me our.

Actually that didnt surprise me one bit picard going all goo in a crucial momment he was always the diplomat not the fighter heck riker did almost all the fighting for him.

Had riker not been busy i bet he wouldve been the one fighting shinzon while picard stayed on the enterprise sipping earl grey tea thinking of big worded speeches to say to Q. :D
  • Options
    skhcskhc Member Posts: 355 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    The Final Frontier was definitely worse than Into Darkness. For whatever reason, FF is one of the worst Star Trek productions ever. There are a handful of Star Trek episodes ("Threshold", "A Night in Sickbay", "These Are the Voyages..." etc.) that are worse than it, but not many. The plot's stupid, Starfleet are stupid, the crew are stupid, the Klingons are stupid and the ship is broken.

Insurrection? No. That's not worse than Into Darkness. Insurrection would've been an okay movie if about 6 lines of Data's dialogue and the British Tar singalong were deleted or replaced with something written by a functioning adult. Into Darkness' plot is far more full of holes and the cast is far less likable. Also, Insurrection didn't need to insult its audience by going from making allusions to a previous film that were already maybe just a little too obvious to: "LOL LOOK EVERYONE IT'S THE WRATH OF KHAN! LOOK! SPOCK IS SAYING 'KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!!!' Please accept me :("

Nemesis? Possibly. It centered around Picard vs. Picard, except Shinzon wasn't really Picard, he was just a bitter, whinging, S&M model who needed his completely improbable ubership and shallow barking about Reman superiority to compensate for not really being Picard. So the movie's entire premise failed. Also why didn't Picard send:
    1) His Klingon warrior
    2) His killer android with the strength of 10 men
    3) Any one of dozens or potentially 100s of trained, young, fit security officers under his command
    Instead of himself to stop the Thaloron weapon?
    Does that make it more obnoxious than Into Darkness? Possibly. Possibly not. I'm really not sure.
  • Options
    skhcskhc Member Posts: 355 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Why is it some people claim that if it is not in the TOS or MIRROR time line it is not trek?

Was there not an episode of TNG where we find out that there is 200,000+ different time lines? JJ trek is another timeline.

Personally I enjoyed both of JJ's movies and would like to see what the Federation is like in Picard's time.

Star Trek is not known for showing time travel consistently, but one of the few consistent things is when there's a temporal incursion that changes the timeline, the pre-incursion timeline is gone, and the Series' crew have to restore it. Examples can be seen in "City on the Edge of Forever", "First Contact" and "Past Tense". At no point does anyone say "Oh well, our timeline still exists in an alternate reality, this timeline has as much right to exist as ours. C'est la vie."
    I think there's one case where pre- and post- incursion timelines co-exist and that's with Captain Braxton in Voyager, where we see versions of him who did and didn't experience the events of Future's End, existing subsequent to those events taking place.

"Parallels", the TNG ep you're referring to doesn't access those alternate realities via timetravel.

As far as I'm concerned, if Abramsverse is the new canon, then the original timeline post 2233 no longer exists. As a "for instance" case of the effect of this - Tuvok, due to be born in the 2260s, will most likely not be born because his parents have a greater than 99% probability of being killed in the destruction of Vulcan.

Now that wouldn't bother me, if there weren't a lot of other little things wrong with the film, most of them relating to the stupid git that's in the Command chair. But because those things are there, it kind of pisses me off that Prime Spock doesn't make some sort of attempt to restore the pre-Nero timeline. And don't tell me he couldn't, because with access to ship with warp drive and transporter, he has the expertise to go any where in any time period.
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited August 2013
    skhc wrote: »
    As far as I'm concerned, if Abramsverse is the new canon, then the original timeline post 2233 no longer exists.

What, your DVDs suddenly melted :D? Alternate universe old Trek still exists on another curve of the probability arc.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    shevetshevet Member Posts: 1,667 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Well, I mentioned not seeing the plot holes in "Into Darkness" until after I'd left the cinema and had time to mull them over....

With "Nemesis", though, my willing suspension of disbelief failed me at the moment when Tal'aura walked out of the senate chamber, leaving a large, suspiciously ticking parcel behind her... and a roomful of supposedly astute Romulan politicians (and if those guys don't develop finely honed survival instincts, then who does?) sat around and watched while it exploded.

It was at that moment that I thought to myself: yep, this is going to be a dumb movie. And it was.
    8b6YIel.png?1
  • Options
    jam3s1701jam3s1701 Member Posts: 1,825 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    What makes me laugh is Nero spent 25 odd years waiting to kill thingy when he should have warned his people
    JtaDmwW.png
  • Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    jam3s1701 wrote: »
    What makes me laugh is Nero spent 25 odd years waiting to kill thingy when he should have warned his people
    Actually, IIRC, that was covered in the prequel comic.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    skhc wrote: »
    The Final Frontier was definitely worse than Into Darkness. For whatever reason, FF is one of the worst Star Trek productions ever. There are a handful of Star Trek episodes ("Threshold", "A Night in Sickbay", "These Are the Voyages..." etc.) that are worse than it, but not many. The plot's stupid, Starfleet are stupid, the crew are stupid, the Klingons are stupid and the ship is broken.

Insurrection? No. That's not worse than Into Darkness. Insurrection would've been an okay movie if about 6 lines of Data's dialogue and the British Tar singalong were deleted or replaced with something written by a functioning adult. Into Darkness' plot is far more full of holes and the cast is far less likable. Also, Insurrection didn't need to insult its audience by going from making allusions to a previous film that were already maybe just a little too obvious to: "LOL LOOK EVERYONE IT'S THE WRATH OF KHAN! LOOK! SPOCK IS SAYING 'KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!!!' Please accept me :("

Nemesis? Possibly. It centered around Picard vs. Picard, except Shinzon wasn't really Picard, he was just a bitter, whinging, S&M model who needed his completely improbable ubership and shallow barking about Reman superiority to compensate for not really being Picard. So the movie's entire premise failed. Also why didn't Picard send:
    1) His Klingon warrior
    2) His killer android with the strength of 10 men
    3) Any one of dozens or potentially 100s of trained, young, fit security officers under his command
    Instead of himself to stop the Thaloron weapon?
    Does that make it more obnoxious than Into Darkness? Possibly. Possibly not. I'm really not sure.
    His Brow should furl, and his lip should curl,
    ...something....
    And his fist be ever ready for a knock down blow!

I liked it, I imagine Klingons sing similar things... Which is appropriate since it was Worf and Picard.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg