Free Items Week Speculation Thread

Comments

• thestargazethestargaze Member Posts: 1,020 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Hm...
    I'm thinking...

Monday: Academy Uniforms
    Tuesday: Fighters (Peregrin/KDF fighter)
    Wednesday: T2 ship
    Thursday: T3 ship
    Friday: T4 ship

Bundles would be nice, but wouldn't make sense as most of them don't have a KDF equivelant. Only ones that do would be the Ody/Bortas packs. A species unlock might be plausible. Also... with the cut off at T4 ships, even Romulan players have access to them, as they have access to allied T1-4 ship tech.

Well, if they are throwing in Romulan rewards I can forget about that. I deleted my 50 ROM since I wasnt happy with her. Started on a new .. still level 3.

Anyways.. looking forward to the week.
  • thestargazethestargaze Member Posts: 1,020 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Let's see...

Bridge Packs (400+400=800)

Costumes (550+550=1100) = Academy Uniforms

Shuttles (500+500=1000) = Peregrine & To'duj

Playable Race (600) = Joined Trill

Ships (2000+2000=4000) = D'kyr & Varanus

800+1100+1000+600+4000=7500

Something like this actually makes sense with respect to the Zen values... But i can't believe they would give away so much?
  • decroniadecronia Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Something like this actually makes sense with respect to the Zen values... But i can't believe they would give away so much?

Why?

If the things being given away are things that do not really sell, then they lose nothing by giving them away.
  • oldravenman3025oldravenman3025 Member Posts: 1,892 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    While I applaud this move on the part of TPTB, I dread the queues and lag that may just come starting tomorrow.
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited August 2013

Bran's said there's over 7500 Zen worth of stuff being given away. There are 8 items. Mon-Wed are near in value, with Wed being slightly less. Mon is a Fed Costume. Tue would thus likely be a KDF Costume. Each 550 Zen...

Wed, he gave a hint - would be Fed/KDF Smallcraft. 500 Zen each (slightly lesser value than the 550 Zen for the Costumes).

Then that's where it gets tricky, cause it looks like a T2 (750 Zen)/T5 (2000 Zen) ship for Fed/KDF on Thu/Fri...but that would mean giving away the new KDF ship that came out with LoR - which is along the lines of why they said they wouldn't be giving any Rom stuff out...too new. So yeah, Thu/Fri get tricky...
  • fraghul2000fraghul2000 Member Posts: 1,590 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    considering on what we know* already, my guess would be:

Monday: Fed costume (my guess: academy)
    Tuesday: Klingon costume (my guess: academy)
    Wednesday: Small Craft (my guess: Tojdu/Peregrine)
    Thursday: T3 Ship (my guess: Thunderchild/Vandal)
    Friday: T5 Ship (my guess: Nebula/Varanus)

mon: 550, tue: 550, wed: 500 x2, thur: 1.000 x2, fri: 2x 2000

as far as the choice of ships go, I'm guessing they're going to be giving away older ships that don't sell well (e.g. no MVAE, Defiants, Galaxys etc...) and that could make some of the universal consoles more widely availabe to their original faction.

*8 Items in total, 3 ships (wed, thur, fri) per faction, a total of more than 5; mon, tue, wed about the same value with wed being a little lower; costume on monday (fed only), rising value on thur and fri; no new stuff; T3 ship mentioned as an example,
  • sfc#5932 sfc Member Posts: 992 Bug Hunter
    edited August 2013
    Moved to main event thread
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    My guesses are
    1. things I've already bought
    2. things no one is buying anymore
    3. one Master Key (to get people addicted)
    4. a new special tribble
    5. nothing useful
    Sometimes I think I play STO just to have something to complain about on the forums.
  • sunseahlsunseahl Member Posts: 827 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    he gave a hint - would be Fed/KDF Smallcraft. 500 Zen each (slightly lesser value than the 550 Zen for the Costumes).

You're Forgetting the Olberth class Sci vessel(500 Zen) which can be countered with the B'Rotlh BoP(500).....
    Member of the "Disenchanted"
    We don't want what the Feds have. We want the equivalent. We want fairer treatment. Concern, desire, greed to some extent, and passionate belief that the enough people would buy KDF items to make it worth Cryptic's while.
  • jetwtfjetwtf Member Posts: 1,207
    edited August 2013
    sunseahl wrote: »
    You're Forgetting the Olberth class Sci vessel(500 Zen) which can be countered with the B'Rotlh BoP(500).....

Those are not considered small craft.
    "I'm drunk, whats your excuse for being an idiot?" - Unknown drunk man. :eek:
  • fallenhawkfallenhawk Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Want bet whatever items they giving away for free well be taking off the Store forever .

:eek::P
    [SIGPIC]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y136/Badbones/Mysig.png[/SIGPIC]
    I can still move.
    I can still fight.
    I will never give up!
  • amalefactoramalefactor Member Posts: 511 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    fallenhawk wrote: »
    Want bet whatever items they giving away for free well be taking off the Store forever .

:eek::P

1. They won't. When they first gave out the KDF ship that had the bioneural warhead, it was free, and now (so I'm told) it's now a C-store ship. If that started free for a limited time and is now a pay-for ship, the precedent is leaning toward "why remove it? Someone might buy it later after the promotion and we already coded it"

2. The " :eek: " emote has lost all meaning and is used roughly as much as hipsters use the word "ironic".
  • nexurulernexuruler Member Posts: 98 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I hope there is a free Scimitar Bundle in there some where :rolleyes:
    Been a user of Perfect World Entertainment since 2009.
  • eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 4,173 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    No point in speculating anything at all. Is it going to be this is it going to be that. I hope it's this or I hope it's that. Only one thing is certain, and that on Friday, and Friday only there will be one ship, and one ship only.

Anything else during the week will be costumes etc.

Instead of speculating PWE / Cryptic should be applauded for this, and we the players should be thanking them. I personally feel that too many people give Brandon and the Dev's (and everyone else associated with STO) too much flack for the most pathetic things at times, and it gets me angry at times that so many players do this too often.

So Brandon and everyone else at PWE Thank you for the give aways. If they are things I already have or not. If they are things I want or not. Again Thank you.
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,462 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    nexuruler wrote: »
    I hope there is a free Scimitar Bundle in there some where :rolleyes:

Are you rooting for traffic jams in space? Those things are too bulky.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,336 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    questerius wrote: »
    Are you rooting for traffic jams in space? Those things are too bulky.

Not to mention Brandon specifically said there would not be any Romulan stuff due to how new they are, which means no Scimitar bundles. Besides, that alone is 5000 zen and the give away is supposed to be a total of 7500 zen. Look at it to be stuff that has been in the market for a long time.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • misterde3misterde3 Member Posts: 4,195 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    My guess are free character slots (might motivate people to buy new stuff for new characters) and the faction-specific space suits...simply because you see so few of them in actual use it indicates the 700 per-character price backfired horribly.
  • artfulmerkageartfulmerkage Member Posts: 294 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Nothing to see here.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Valdus | Charn | Costello | Typhus | Thyran
  • displayname707displayname707 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    My guesses are
    1. things I've already bought
    2. things no one is buying anymore
    3. one Master Key (to get people addicted)
    4. a new special tribble
    5. nothing useful

Yeah...

My prediction:
    1. NX Ship Registry - 100 Zen
    2. Master Key - 125 Zen
    3. XP Boost (1000) - 200 Zen
    4. Duty Officer Roster Slots25 - 225 Zen
    5. "A new and special tribble" - 300 Zen
  • chainfallchainfall Member Posts: 252 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Master Keys, Boosts, and DOFF Slots are not account unlocks. I seriously doubt they will be recoding anything to make this giveaway work, so whatever we do get will already be an account unlock.
    ~Megamind@Sobekeus
  • displayname707displayname707 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    chainfall wrote: »
    Master Keys, Boosts, and DOFF Slots are not account unlocks. I seriously doubt they will be recoding anything to make this giveaway work, so whatever we do get will already be an account unlock.

"we?ll list the eligibility requirements for each item in the individual news posts"

That doesnt sound like accountwide unlocks...
  • lucianazetalucianazeta Member Posts: 740 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    "we?ll list the eligibility requirements for each item in the individual news posts"

For god sake, this will be like the 20th time this is made clear..

Homework: http://sto.perfectworld.com/news/?p=955821 <-- Read this a hundred times.
    STO%20Sig.png~original
    edited August 2013

Eligibility requirements are faction and level.
    ~Megamind@Sobekeus
  • dontirridontirri Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    You know, I am surprised Cryptic hasn't just gone "You know, eff this" and canceled the giveaway because there has been almost nothing but complaining or "sarcastic" remarks.

Are you people really so jaded and bitter that the fact that you're given FREE STUFF... you STILL feel the need to whine about something?

Pathetic.
    edited August 2013
    dontirri wrote: »
    You know, I am surprised Cryptic hasn't just gone "You know, eff this" and canceled the giveaway because there has been almost nothing but complaining or "sarcastic" remarks.

Are you people really so jaded and bitter that the fact that you're given FREE STUFF... you STILL feel the need to whine about something?

Pathetic.

It seems to me that most people are positive about it.
    ~Megamind@Sobekeus
  • eldarion79eldarion79 Member Posts: 1,679 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I, for one, don't care what is given, but rather that the fact, it was given.

I know at least one thing, I have already owned, but who cares. I know one thing I probably won't use, but who cares.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    reyan01 wrote: »
    (...) Granted, it MIGHT transpire that their intentions are more toward keeping the newer players interested, but honestly - who can blame them? (...)

Woah, wait a minute - did you just hint that a company might not have altruistic motivations for giving away promotional material? :eek:

Seriously, I'm not complaining about freebies and I'd actually be happy if the friday gift will actually be one of the old store ships that I'd bought (via in-game grind) otherwise, but please, people, stop being so naive as to believe that they give away free stuff because they all love you so much ;) There were people even WORRIED that these freebies would hurt the game and the companies income. This is a business, stop pretending that we're all best buddies with the team ;)
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • blagormblagorm Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Not to be "Annoying" But SINCE the Academy Outfit has been out there SO LONG... Being the Only ZEN KDF Costume.... Dont Yah Think Almost EVERYONE has it by now?
    R'tolves Will Spread Thier Peace and Will Prevail Over the Hostiles Who Dare Hurt Such A Isolationist Consitutional Monarchy!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • lucianazetalucianazeta Member Posts: 740 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    reyan01 wrote: »
    I, for one, couldn't agree more.

I mean, however you view this -this is a friendly gesture of goodwill from the people who created and maintain this game that we all play. The digusting, greedly element of the playerbase can make all the cynical comments they please; I will continue to view Cryptic's generosity as it is - a goodwill gesture. Granted, it MIGHT transpire that their intentions are more toward keeping the newer players interested, but honestly - who can blame them?

But no, we have the Great Entitled (who are, thankfully, in the minority) crying because there is a chance that the FREE items are something they already have or might not want, with absolutely NO regard being given to the fact that said items could, and in many cases WILL, be extremely useful to someone else.

Some players really need to get some perspective.

I couldn't agree more, how low must you fall if you whine about something like this, free stuff that all together could normally easily cost you 60/70 Euros/Dollars?

I will be the first to admit that obviously I see the ulterior motives they have for it, as you said, keeping new players interested, but also the possibility that people may buy costume and ship slots to accommodate the free stuff they get this week.

After all, as Angrytarg said, they are still a business, while the dev team itself means this as a genuine thank you for our support, I have no doubt there, the guys above them see the money making opportunities of it. (otherwise this wouldn't be done)

I also think the ships will be ships that already don't sell well, like the D'Kyr, they lose nothing by giving it out and gain ship slot purchases.
    STO%20Sig.png~original
  • twamtwam Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    blagorm wrote: »
    Not to be "Annoying" But SINCE the Academy Outfit has been out there SO LONG... Being the Only ZEN KDF Costume.... Dont Yah Think Almost EVERYONE has it by now?

o/

I don't!

Never really did get around to it.