What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Tour the Universe cooldown change -- 4 hour cooldown added *now in patch notes*

Comments

• Options
    xtern1tyxtern1ty Member Posts: 796 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I stand together with fellow players on this one. Whatever differences we have we need to put it aside, for this is no ordinary TRIBBLE-up.

The Tour of Galaxy is the only reliable simple method, besides foundry, to gain ec in game. And it rewards much higher than foundry. Though faulty at times, hundreds of players, myself included, depend on it to earn ec to pay for extra-high items essential to gameplay from the exchange, from samples to ships. Without the reliable source of income, many players who do not have extraordinary means will be pushed to the side, essentially putting an end to F2P.

This needs to be resolved and I urge Cryptic, whether or not a deliberate change, to please return the Tour as it was before patch. I am a longterm player and won't quit regardless, but it will definitely reduce STO's player base if this isn't resolved expediently.

Your kind attention is greatly appreciated.

Regards,
    Xean
  • Options
    sneyepersneyeper Member Posts: 217 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Just finished running the Klingon Tour the Universe as well. Ran the complete thing for the trait - got a 4 hour cooldown at the end. This affects both Fed and Kling.
  • Options
    khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter
    edited July 2013
    Other than this what are the other two sources?

Before the Nukara event changed about with the addition of the rep system, the elite boxes sold on the exchange daily at 250K, now they sell at 20K. So that's several hundred thousand EC a day gone from that too, which was annoying because they added the Nukara Rep system which needed several hundred thousand EC to get through.

I can't even remember off the top of my head what the other one was, but I know I was annoyed about another EC nerf earlier in the month so once I remember what it was, I'll tell you haha.
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
  • Options
    kalex71kalex71 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    You can add my husband and I to that list of people not happy about this change. :mad: It was not discussed in a Dev Diary. It was not listed in the patch notes. For those of us in small fleets, this was one of the reliable way we could earn EC to get stuff to build our starbases. You nerf the best sources of fleet marks, you nerfed the best sources of dilithium and now you have nerfed the best source of EC. Remind me again, Why am I playing?
  • Options
    freedumb4evafreedumb4eva Member Posts: 269
    edited July 2013
    I think that putting a cooldown on the tour is a wise move because it should never be that easy to earn EC.

Next, nerf farm maps on the foundry. It's not much EC with the loot cap but... it's too easy.
  • Options
    azniadeetazniadeet Member Posts: 1,871 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    This is a good thing. EC inflation is a real problem.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    kalex71 wrote: »
    You can add my husband and I to that list of people not happy about this change. :mad: It was not discussed in a Dev Diary. It was not listed in the patch notes. For those of us in small fleets, this was one of the reliable way we could earn EC to get stuff to build our starbases. You nerf the best sources of fleet marks, you nerfed the best sources of dilithium and now you have nerfed the best source of EC. Remind me again, Why am I playing?

IMO the best source of fleet marks is still around... Defera [Hard] dailies.
  • Options
    tonyalmeida2tonyalmeida2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    kalex71 wrote: »

To feed the beast. We are sheep.
    pvp = small package
  • Options
    chainfallchainfall Member Posts: 243 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I'm glad it was a stealth fix to the STO Federal Reserve Bank and its ridiculous money printing. Maybe now the economy can be fixed.
    STO would have been better as a Stargate MMO than it is as Star Trek. Go figure.

~Karona@Sobekeus
    Jem'Hadar Dreadnought Carrier Exterminatus
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    azniadeet wrote: »

Amen to that...

People with 5 toons or more could make over 16 mil in 5 hours... totally imbalanced and it punishes players who DON'T do it by flooding EC in to the economy.
  • Options
    xtern1tyxtern1ty Member Posts: 796 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Like you rich punks care less anyway. You already squeeze ordinary players with your market manipulation and you advocate squeezing them even more. I hope you go broke irl and have no more money to pay for STO, then see how you'll feel.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    azniadeet wrote: »

The damage to the economy is already done, removing sources of EC now isn't going to make it better, it's going to make it a lot worse. Do you know anything about economics?
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
  • Options
    maltinpolarmaltinpolar Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    xtern1ty wrote: »
    Without the reliable source of income, many players who do not have extraordinary means will be pushed to the side, essentially putting an end to F2P.

This, pretty much.
    This needs to be resolved and I urge Cryptic, whether or not a deliberate change, to please return the Tour as it was before patch. I am a longterm player and won't quit regardless, but it will definitely reduce STO's player base if this isn't resolved expediently.

I will quit if this isn't reversed.

That is all.
  • Options
    tonyalmeida2tonyalmeida2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    While I don't think that this nerf was needed, there are still many reliable ways to make large amounts of money.
    pvp = small package
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    The damage to the economy is already done, removing sources of EC now isn't going to make it better, it's going to make it a lot worse. Do you know anything about economics?

If you knew anything about economics, you would know that it will fix itself. The only permanent damage was from not fixing the EC fountain sooner.
    STO would have been better as a Stargate MMO than it is as Star Trek. Go figure.

~Karona@Sobekeus
  • Options
    entnx01entnx01 Member Posts: 545 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    There's an exploit to get more ECs running shorter routes, dropping the mission, getting the mission, and repeating it.

Perhaps Cryptic finally got around to closing the exploit by putting a once-per-event cd on it.
  • Options
    mrmaxburkemrmaxburke Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Agreed this either needs to be reversed or something else has to change, for example the childrens toys / fabricate prototype console needs to have a higher rate of giving players what they need.

If it's not addressed I'll be putting my money in the 'Playstation 4' Fund and not the C Store lol.

Max
  • Options
    saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,401 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    If you're not gonna change the cooldown, Cryptic, at least, keep going with your "economy fix run" by adding a fee for posting an item to the exchange, that scales with the price of the item, like in Champions Online.

And make it retroactive for more sadistic fun, too. :D
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    This, pretty much.

I will quit if this isn't reversed.

That is all.

That's pretty dumb to say imo. I have never run the tour and I've been playing since beta so you are obviously incorrect. Oh, and I'm f2p.
  • Options
    titus1608titus1608 Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    To be honest I never saw the appeal in Tour the Universe to make EC, especially not for new players which are stuck with a slow ship more so since theres no easy way to get the borg or the maco warpdrive.

If you do a space foundry mission you mostly get more EC if you sell the drops your showered with especially if its stuff like space shields, deflectors, engines or warpcores which drop alot at the moment in space foundry missions.

Even if it isn't foundry hour you usally get more EC from selling foundrymission drops than from TtU.
    Yes, you have to kill stuff but it isn't as boring as just flying around.
  • Options
    pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited July 2013
    Hi Captains,

An update -- the change was unfortunately missing from Tribble and Holodeck patch notes. I've added it to yesterday's Holodeck patch notes now. We apologize that it was missing.

Please keep feedback constructive in this thread so that I may pass it along for consideration.

EDIT: It was changed to close an exploit, but we will still consider your constructive feedback.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    entnx01 wrote: »
    There's an exploit to get more ECs running shorter routes, dropping the mission, getting the mission, and repeating it.

Perhaps Cryptic finally got around to closing the exploit by putting a once-per-event cd on it.

I keep on being more satisfied by this nerf.
  • Options
    elessymelessym Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    entnx01 wrote: »

Why do people always go for the 'E' word?

It wasn't an exploit - just a piece of poor design.

That said, the name of the event is "Tour the Galaxy", not "Tour the Same Four Sectors Repeatedly." Clearly, people were doing things in a way contrary to design and Cryptic decided to change it.
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
  • Options
    smokeybacon90smokeybacon90 Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Hi Captains,

An update -- the change was unfortunately missing from Tribble and Holodeck patch notes. I've added it to yesterday's Holodeck patch notes now. We apologize that it was missing.

Please keep feedback constructive in this thread so that I may pass it along for consideration.

EDIT: It was changed to close an exploit, but we will still consider your constructive feedback.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Well Rest in Piece one of the better events in this game.

You know there are far better EC exploits in this game, so why this one?

And why not just fix the mission to only allow full tours to give rewards?
    EnYn9p9.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    It was changed to close an exploit
    elessym wrote: »
    Why do people always go for the 'E' word?

Perhaps because it applies?

~Karona@Sobekeus
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    :P
    Well Rest in Piece one of the better events in this game.

You know there are far better EC exploits in this game, so why this one?

And why not just fix the mission to only allow full tours to give rewards?

Better events? What makes this event so, "Oooh and Ahhh," worthy? Flying around in sector space... you can still do that but you don't get a ridiculous amount of EC for doing it.
  • Options
    blockbustersblockbusters Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    You're looking about this the wrong way.

At the moment, there are only two ways to generate respectable amount Energy Credits from the system, to put into the in-game economy.

1) Loot Drops being sold to NPC Vendors
    2) Tour The Universe.

Other sources are not at all efficient, or depend on the exchange.

Now that this Nerf has happened, there is going to be less Energy Credits in the in-game economy. Thus causing the exchange prices fall, and effectively crashing the player market.

Welcome to Black Thursday Peeps...
    I'm the guy that uses unconventional builds, and don't fall to the normal. I also don't believe in "No-BS" TRIBBLE, it's in the game, it's ready to be used. Think Clint Eastwood in Heartbreak Ridge.
  • Options
    slipstreamriderslipstreamrider Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I would be ok with the change if I didn't spend actual money on ships to maximize my Tour performance. What about the "Exploit" of me, because now I have useless ships in my inventory. Oh well, I guess I'll just spend more money to get more ships that will be useless without notice.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Hi Captains,

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Why not add a 15 minute cool down, instead of a 4 hour one? I mean there were legitimate ways to do four runs in an hour, using Borg engines and QSD running the full route you could do it four times... I don't see the need for this 4 hour cool down, it's just going to p*ss off a lot of players.

15 minutes would stop the people who were doing one or two blocks then dropping it, but still allow the people who were not cheating to do it more than once. I enjoyed my little hour long tour through sector space, listening to music, setting up DOFF missions.

Though to be fair, the people who were cheating through it probably also have a lot of alts, so this isn't even going to affect them. It's only really going to hurt the people who were doing it legitimately.
  • Options
    devian666devian666 Member Posts: 473
    edited July 2013
    The 4 hour cooldown doesn't make sense, just make it a 1 hour cooldown then you can say it's working as intended. Then players can tour the universe.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.