What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Literary Challenge #44 Discussion Thread

Comments

• Options
    marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Bryan tends to be a little stubborn when he wants something done (hence why Admiral Yanishev called him a loose cannon :rolleyes: ). And, from the sounds of it, Ibalei and Admiral Tobin are going to be great friends :D [/sarcasm]
    I think that can be a good thing when the situation calls for it, but it would be interesting to see that tendency used against Bryan somehow in a future LC, not necessarily getting hauled in for a dressing down, as I'm sure he'd talk his way clear, but maybe being manipulated somehow :) I think she would respect Zizania's accomplishments, but has never liked the idea of joining :D
  • Options
    gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    @cosmonaut12345: I don't know if you ever listen to Star Trek: Outpost, but now that I realize Rose is from Sigma Iotia, I find myself thinking that she'd get along great with Lieutenant Exler from that series. :) Anyway...you did do a great job of showing the PTSD effects of her assimilation, to the point of even mentally demeaning a fellow victim. It was written in a compelling way, so a job well done.

@gorvar1: A most memorable line: "Tell them the people of Virinat are coming for 'em." And looking forward to see if we learn anything more about Doutra's species...

@patrickngo: While I admit I generally have little to no interest in KDF-related stories, this look at Ferasan culture was very interesting, both for the insight it offered into K'tirr, and into the Ferasans themselves. It somehow makes sense that it would be Kahless himself who would get another warrior race to submit willingly and consider an alien Dominant One--given how little most modern Klingons seem to truly have any honor, it makes me think that had anyone else been there, they would not have given the original K'tirr the dignity of being named undefeated by the one who slew him. Kahless showed a type of respect I don't tend to see in modern Klingons.

@shevet: I know we'd seen a hint of Tylha's prejudice before, but seeing it turn into full-blown racism...thank goodness we find out the reason for what's going on. I suspect that having experienced something like that--which she seemed suitably ashamed about afterwards--will really make her think and re-evaluate a lot of things. And since her introspection saved her in this case, I suspect she would indeed take that to heart. Plot-wise, a really well-done story! Were you influenced at all by Diane Duane's Intellivore? I wonder if this thing could be related...

@jonsills, Man, something tells me Grunt won't ever leave a skeleton crew again... ;) That crew has such bad luck...I like them, though--it seems like the crises have made a very cohesive unit out of them. Something tells me a disruption to the staff would be a lot more trouble than an external crisis...

@marcusdkane and ironphoenix113: I suspect it would surprise Tobin to find out how Zizania handled the unwanted joining. I wonder if she has ever heard of a symbiont showing such respect and actually staying separate enough for there to still be some distinction between the two beings?

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    gulberat wrote: »
    @marcusdkane and ironphoenix113: I suspect it would surprise Tobin to find out how Zizania handled the unwanted joining. I wonder if she has ever heard of a symbiont showing such respect and actually staying separate enough for there to still be some distinction between the two beings?

As a native of Trill, she grew up seeing all manner of joinings, both mild and severe, but sees the entire process as a kind of bondage/enslavement, and that even a host with more control than others, still has compromised liberty, which is why she never considered entering the symbiosis commission. As a child, she was kidnapped, which may be why she values her personal freedom so greatly...
  • Options
    cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    First, let me say I am enjoying every entry so far! Such an interesting topic :)

@patrickngo - I really loved the cultural aspect of this piece, from the perceptions of Scout Captain to the interactions of the crew to each other. Very well done and makes me want to play a Ferasan (or Caitian for that matter).

@shevet - Another thought-provoking piece! Their predicament with the illness had me glued to the pages. I was overdue on my lunch break thanks to you :P

@flamesight - Dylan is a winning character! You really made her to be an ultimate "villain" (from a non Tal Shiar perspective) and the interactions between the crew gave each of them a personality, including the foolish Helmsman. Please come back to the next LC!

@jonsills - YAY Grunt! Such an unlucky Ferengi, but lucky to have the crew he's got. So, is the TRIBBLE ... destroyed?

I've got a few more to read. I feel humble to be sharing fiction with this group :)
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    patrickngo wrote: »
    It's digging into things like this that always drags me back into writing Klingon/KDF centered stories-with Starfleet stories it's so easy to relax and let the technobabble do the problem solving and character development.

Depends on how you approach it. ;) If you take it the goody-two-shoes TNG way, then yeah. If you take a more cynical approach, the Feds leave you a lot more room for writing. One thing I've been particularly interested in is the increased militarization of Starfleet. That's actually one reason why, even with its flaws, I've stuck with STO. I've felt like this is the direction Starfleet ultimately needed to go. That it needed to quit being ashamed of being a military and start treating its ship crews and its troops accordingly. Especially on the ground, where until STO they never received proper armaments, defenses, or training. All because the Feddies wanted to pretend their enemies could be mollified by soft words and by rolling over and showing the Federation's soft, fuzzy belly.

The thing is, IMHO you have to be willing to allow conflict to happen on the Fed side, be it an external conflict with real consequences, an internal conflict in the crew, or a conflict between the Federation's stated values and actual needs or actual practice. Roddenberry's frequent unwillingness to allow this is why TNG became stale. And when VOY tried to copy TNG's formula...well...disaster ensued.
    I'd agree with you on Kahless-but that's why he's a legend. An American president once quipped that "Any man can endure hardship, the truest test of a man's character is Power." Anyhow, thanks for reading my scribblings. :)

Very true. I tend to feel that Kahless, Worf, and perhaps the monks of Boreth are among the only ones who still comprehend honor. My opinion of the Klingons is about on par with Ezri's. ;)

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    @ironphoenix113 - Bryan is the leader of the 1st? Isn't the fleet your actual in-game fleet? Anyway, I'm impressed by your fleet combat writing: its a change from what is expected and I appreciate that.

As I read these LCs I'm getting to know your Captains and crew. Keeping up with the differences is challenging but I am really enjoying seeing them progress. Everyone is doing a great job keeping Star Trek alive and well :D
  • Options
    danquellerdanqueller Member Posts: 503 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    As I read these LCs I'm getting to know your Captains and crew. Keeping up with the differences is challenging but I am really enjoying seeing them progress. Everyone is doing a great job keeping Star Trek alive and well :D

Hehe...indeed true! And we get to see so many different ships and crews than what you would typically see on-screen :)

I admit, though, that I have a bit of a conflict in that the crew I have written about in the last three LCs (the crew of the Romulan Republic warbird R'uhuv) are challenging to write about as they take their first missions in service to the Republic, but I also have the urge to write about my in-game ship characters (the crew of the Terran ship Conquest and later of the Federation ship Dawnstar) as others have done with their own in-game crews. I've thought about keeping the Romulan crew as my LC entries, and try to do an independent fiction entry for the Terran/Federation crew, but I have to admit I am not certain I am a good enough writer to do justice to the story I've been putting together for the later for over a decade now.

So don't worry cmdrscarlet...plenty of us feel humbled to write here, and wonder if we're up to the challenge writing poses us. :)
  • Options
    ironphoenix113ironphoenix113 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013

You bring up an interesting point here. Of course, it's also possible that it might sway her the other way and make her even more prejudiced because of the fact that Zizania couldn't have survived were it not for the fact that Bryan has a number of Trill in his crew.
    @ironphoenix113 - Bryan is the leader of the 1st? Isn't the fleet your actual in-game fleet? Anyway, I'm impressed by your fleet combat writing: its a change from what is expected and I appreciate that.

As I read these LCs I'm getting to know your Captains and crew. Keeping up with the differences is challenging but I am really enjoying seeing them progress. Everyone is doing a great job keeping Star Trek alive and well

Yep. How he got there in-game is a rather long story. I'm technically one of three people in the top spot, but one person is rarely on for unknown reasons, and the other has been busy studying to be a teacher, so I was promoted to the top spot as well. Anyway, thanks :D Glad to know that you appreciate my writing style. :D
    Vice Admiral Bryan Mitchel Valot
    Commanding officer: Odyssey class U.S.S. Athena
    Admiral of the 1st Assault Fleet
  • Options
    aten66aten66 Member Posts: 654 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Anyone know how much time we have left?
  • Options
    sander233sander233 Member Posts: 3,992 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    aten66 wrote: »
    Anyone know how much time we have left?

Until Tuesday, around noon PDT unless Bran decides to extend it.

[shameless plug]BTW for those interested, Part V of The Road to Ruin is up. (finally.) If you're new to the story you'll want to start at the beginning, which is actually one of patrickngo's stories (links provided.)[/shameless plug]
    16d89073-5444-45ad-9053-45434ac9498f.png~original

...Oh, baby, you know, I've really got to leave you / Oh, I can hear it callin 'me / I said don't you hear it callin' me the way it used to do?...
    - Anne Bredon
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Voyager had a multitude of problems that we could sit and list all day and into the night, by the time it turned up Gene was long gone.

Unfortunately I think they copied the worst of TNG. :-/
    I have a suspicion that you may be somewhat right about the dichotomy between the ideal, and the actual-both for Starfleet AND the KDF.

Totally agreed on that. I mean, in my own works we find out that species discrimination is still alive and well in the ranks of Starfleet. Granted, some of that is due to the fact that Alyosha not only comes from a predator species, but also has the ability to move unseen and wield a powerful telekinetic punch.

But we know there are carnivorous species in Starfleet. And others that could easily kill members of a weaker species. Even the Vulcans qualify in that regard (ability to kill a weaker species). If a Caitian can be civil, and Orions and Deltans make themselves trustworthy among species without their pheromones and abilities, then on principle Alyosha should be treated the same way, but he is not. He must keep his nature classified to a small circle who can be trusted and that is able to see who he is and trust him.

The irony is, though, that his species also means his superiors do not discriminate against him in another way that I suspect the Federation would do to humans and the human-raised. But that is a matter not permitted for open discussion on the forums.

• Options
    edited June 2013
    You bring up an interesting point here. Of course, it's also possible that it might sway her the other way and make her even more prejudiced because of the fact that Zizania couldn't have survived were it not for the fact that Bryan has a number of Trill in his crew.

It would... It would serve to reinforce her opinion that the lives and knowledge of the symbionts is valued above the freedom and potential lives of the Trill hosts, as happened to Ezri Tigan :(
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Here's another interesting question, though. I can't remember...did Zizania have a chance to give consent to the actual operation before it happened, or did the crew just go off of what they thought to be the best solution? Did Zizania choose this solution or have the decision to implant it in an unwilling host made without its consent? I wonder if that would play into Tobin's opinion at all if the result is now a symbionts with actual cognizance of the issue. Someone who might well lobby for measures to require explicit consent on both sides before a joining. Or make the Trill legally unable to override a "do not join" note on someone's medical record (just as you would obey a DNR order, or not harvest organs on death where no consent is given).

• Options
    edited June 2013
    Here's another interesting question, though. I can't remember...did Zizania have a chance to give consent to the actual operation before it happened, or did the crew just go off of what they thought to be the best solution? Did Zizania choose this solution or have the decision to implant it in an unwilling host made without its consent? I wonder if that would play into Tobin's opinion at all if the result is now a symbionts with actual cognizance of the issue. Someone who might well lobby for measures to require explicit consent on both sides before a joining. Or make the Trill legally unable to override a "do not join" note on someone's medical record (just as you would obey a DNR order, or not harvest organs on death where no consent is given).

I'll have to leave that part to ironphoenix to answer, but I recall that in Ezri's instance, it was a case of Starfleet feeling that the Dax symbiont (who was in medical stasis, following Jadzia's death) had information too vital to lose if it died. Ezri was on board, so Dax got 'installed', but I'm not sure how much choice she had, or if she was pressured into it with that old schtick about 'duty'... :-\
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Right, I don't think Ezri had any choice. But I wonder what Dax's opinion of it was? I wonder if some of the confusion we saw in Ezri Dax wasn't just Ezri's, but Dax also being less than comfortable with what had happened. Maybe even seeing it as an ethical problem...or even feeling guilty.

It would be interesting to see what ironphoenix says about Ibalei and Zizania.

• Options
    edited June 2013
    In this case, it was similar to Ezri and Dax, except that it was pressure from the Symbiosis commission that convinced her to join with Zizania.

As for how Zizania feels, I may delve a little deeper into that in a future entry, but for now I'll just say that he feels a little more comfortable with Ibalei, given that he expressed a desire to be joined with her when she came of age, but she never entered the program, instead heading straight for Starfleet Academy. As a result of Ibalei's choice there is some element of awkwardness, however they were a little more comfortable with each other than if they had been total strangers.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Right, I don't think Ezri had any choice. But I wonder what Dax's opinion of it was? I wonder if some of the confusion we saw in Ezri Dax wasn't just Ezri's, but Dax also being less than comfortable with what had happened. Maybe even seeing it as an ethical problem...or even feeling guilty.
    I think the change of host was much needed, and something they should've done in Season 4, as that was when I felt Jadzia started to get tedious, but I think the way it was handled was wrong. I don't think Dax would have felt guilty, but probably felt regret that Starfleet felt its knowledge was worth inflicting on Ezri...
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    And now that I think about it, multiple incarnations of Dax (before Ezri) were quite selfish. Jadzia, Curzon, and Joran were all IMO selfish. So I start wondering if Dax would care at all about what it put Ezri through.

• Options
    edited June 2013
    Well, as I said previously, Zizania was probably more comfortable with Ibalei than with another host due to the fact that he had expressed a desire to be joined with her. Also, Zizania is probably a lot less selfish than Dax was, given that the previous hosts were in law enforcement, engineering, and, for the last host before Ibalei, diplomatic corps, all occupations that tend to lend themselves to selflessness, so that could also help explain the Symbiont's more "background" attitude to how he interacts with Ibalei.
  • Options
    aten66aten66 Member Posts: 654 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Update

Here is my completed story. Read and review.

Point out errors, I don't bite!
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    And now that I think about it, multiple incarnations of Dax (before Ezri) were quite selfish. Jadzia, Curzon, and Joran were all IMO selfish. So I start wondering if Dax would care at all about what it put Ezri through.

I think Dax would have felt regret, especially as the blending to Ezri was so discordant, but I doubt it felt any kind of personal responsibility or guilt, as the decision was made by Starfleet, not at Dax's request. Equally, I think Odan showed the kind of blending Jedda would have feared the most: Three observed hosts, with no variation in personality, so all under complete control of the symbiont :-\
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    aten66 wrote: »
    Update

Here is my completed story. Read and review.

Point out errors, I don't bite!

An interesting conclusion in Underland :cool:
  • Options
    ambassadormolariambassadormolari Member Posts: 709 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Right, I've just added the first half of my own entry. Hopefully I'll be able to post the rest of it before the deadline.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Right, I've just added the first half of my own entry. Hopefully I'll be able to post the rest of it before the deadline.

That was in-tense! :eek: Can't wait to read the conclusion :cool:
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    @ ambassadormolari - Please let us know if you added anything to what you already posted. You have a lot up already and if a line was added for the sake of new material ... well ... I'd like some warning :)

@ aten66 - Very interesting idea! if I had a suggestion it would be to explain Gregs' motivation to allow a crewed shuttle to go into the wormhole. At first he said it was too risky, then in one sentence he allowed the shuttle visit without justification other than taking "Z's request into consideration. Z's reasoning seems unwarranted related to the risk. I dunno, Gregs' sudden reversal really caught me by surprise so maybe I'm seeing things differently. Other than that I think your idea was very "trekkie" :D
  • Options
    sander233sander233 Member Posts: 3,992 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    @aeten66 - fantastic! I'm sure Lewis Carroll would be proud.

@ambassadormoari -
    I like this so far. Very tense...More...want more....

What he said, x10. I'm loving the tie-in to patrickngo's and my work.
    16d89073-5444-45ad-9053-45434ac9498f.png~original

...Oh, baby, you know, I've really got to leave you / Oh, I can hear it callin 'me / I said don't you hear it callin' me the way it used to do?...
    - Anne Bredon