catstarstocatstarsto Member Posts: 2,149 Arc User
    edited May 2013

What was the question?

No, What was the 2nd baseman. :P
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The egg.

Because - if you accept evolution - there had to be a point where an animal that was almost a chicken but not quite a chicken laid an egg that hatched a chicken.

So the egg had to have come first.

Wait.

What was the question?

Either God created the chicken to lay the egg or evolution over millions of years created a bird that laid a chicken egg. So obviously a chicken or a chicken-like animal was first. The chicken-like animal is close enough to a chicken that we might as well call it a chicken.
  • Options
    scruffyvulcanscruffyvulcan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    starkaos wrote: »
    The chicken-like animal is close enough to a chicken that we might as well call it a chicken.

We can call it a chicken if we want, but that doesn't make it a chicken. At some point, something that wasn't a chicken had to have laid an egg that hatched a chicken.

To the OP: Sorry for the derail. I was just trying to be funny, but I'm not very good at being funny. :)
  • Options
    mrspam404mrspam404 Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    We can call it a chicken if we want, but that doesn't make it a chicken. At some point, something that wasn't a chicken had to have laid an egg that hatched a chicken.

To the OP: Sorry for the derail. I was just trying to be funny, but I'm not very good at being funny. :)

Yeah cause i go around pooping out chicken eggs all the time.... :eek:

My answer is neither of them came first. The reason being because you said both answers given so far were wrong, so I'm giving the only one left. I'll let ya know where you can send my key in game, thanks.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    mrspam404 wrote: »
    Yeah cause i go around pooping out chicken eggs all the time.... :eek:

My answer is neither of them came first. The reason being because you said both answers given so far were wrong, so I'm giving the only one left. I'll let ya know where you can send my key in game, thanks.

Its not just if you choose the answer or the question, its why, that makes it right or wrong. This has been a fun phylisophical debate.
  • Options
    wazzybutterballswazzybutterballs Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Seems the thread is dead. I would just like to thank catstarsto for the key :)
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Yes, but it was fun to see peoples minds at work. But my hat off to you wazzy, through all the phylosophy and high level thinking, you realised, sometimes the the answer can be the simplest thing, and thats why some answers are so often overlooked. Thanks for playing.

Answer: The Question

Why: It was written first on the initial post.
  • Options
    gfreeman98gfreeman98 Member Posts: 1,200 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Very good, the correct response is The Question, regardless of what game you intended. Thank you for playing. ;)
    screenshot_2015-03-01-resize4.png
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Depends on what question is being answered. "What came first, the question or the answer?" or "What came first, the answer or the question?" So both answers are acceptable in your situation. Although it is far more fun to go philosophical than asking a simple question.
  • Options
    linyivelinyive Member Posts: 1,086 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    catstarsto wrote: »
    I have browsed many threads and something irrelevant came to mind... "What came first, the question, or the answer?"
    If an all knowing entity exists (God, Buddha, Zeus, Kahless, or Q), the question and answer exists at the same time.

If you are approaching the question on a linear perspective (human terms), the question existed before someone came up with a solution. You have to establish a hypothesis first, so you know what type of tests to carry out. Results from the tests will present a possible solution. Since human beings came into existence approximately six million years ago, we can assume that the question and answer had already been explored and solved. Even though a question and answer may have come up now, at this point in human history, they had already been explored by other species.

Linear perspective (one species/one moment in time) = Question existed first.

Non-linear perspective (multiple species/multiple points in time) = Question came into existence first, and it was solved a trillion times over.

Non-linear perspective (all knowing entity) = Question and answer existed at the same time.

---- Now to throw the curve ball. ---

Within certain circumstances, the answer existed before the question. Issac Newton observed something unusual in the environment. Whenever he tossed something into the air, some invisible force had brought it to the ground. Other words, human observation triggered off the search for the question, so that the answer could be put into context.
  • Options
    wazzybutterballswazzybutterballs Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    catstarsto wrote: »
    Yes, but it was fun to see peoples minds at work. But my hat off to you wazzy, through all the phylosophy and high level thinking, you realised, sometimes the the answer can be the simplest thing, and thats why some answers are so often overlooked. Thanks for playing.

Answer: The Question

Why: It was written first on the initial post.

True made an interesting read. If it wasn't for your second post on the thread I might of not got it and I may of gone all chicken and egg with the rest of them.

But anywho I used the key and got bugger all anyway lol.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    starkaos wrote: »
    Depends on what question is being answered. "What came first, the question or the answer?" or "What came first, the answer or the question?" So both answers are acceptable in your situation. Although it is far more fun to go philosophical than asking a simple question.

Actually I was hoping for that very debate, and didnt know if everyone would pick up on my little riddle to fast, losing the charm of this debate.

Listening to everyones theorys has been a lot of fun, these kinds of discussions can be debated forever. I think though, that it is possible that they can, at the height of ones consiousness, both the question and answer coexcist as being one who has been opened up to opnipotence has acheved all answers to all thier questions, but would at that state be outside the confines of time and space, therefore all thoughts would in the end as well as the beginning be apart of a sigular consiousness, and time/space is merely our own fabrication of our thoughts, which is also our questions and answers. But if it is possible to have the answers at the same time as the questions, it does also conclude that we will end where we started, and the time we spent between true consiousness was only a blink of an eye, to ponder and rediscover what we already knew.