Install Arc
Options

Official Romulan Ship and Singularity Mechanic Feedback Thread

Comments

• Options
    naeviusnaevius Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    dilbart wrote: »
    There's nothing to resist a starship in the vacuum of space, once you adopt that philosophy, you can rebuild the paradigm on starship maneuvers.

There is still inertia; it is harder to rotate a massive object.

FYI, in water large ships are actually FASTER if all else is equal (i.e. if the power to weight ratio is the same.) This is because larger ships have proportionally less surface area to cause drag.

In space there is no drag, so ships with the same power/mass ratio should be equally maneuverable.
    when people say they want to play the romulan faction, what they mean is they want to use the d'deridex.

Actually, I want the T'varo Retrofit. But yeah...big ponderous ships aren't fun, partly because beam arrays NEED TO BE BUFFED!
    Joined October 2009. READ BEFORE POSTING
  • Options
    yaru80yaru80 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    What concerns me after some testing on tribble is that the singularity core's only give 40 power to each subsys even worse its only possible to do power settings to a max of 90.

The fed/kling Warpcores have a more constant power bonus of 5+ the system to system bonus of 7,5% so a total bonus of 12,5 % and a higher base power of 50/100.

I really can't see how a Romulan ship can match any task effective when it's impossible to bring a system to 125, while the feds can run 3 systems at 125 with ease.
    More than this the three other systems suffer from a insane powerloss due to the lower power cap and base power of singularity cores, without maxed out skills some system are below 25 power.

I understand that the Warbirds needs to be balanced in some way to cover the advantages from the cloak and the cannons but with this power setting they are crippled.
  • Options
    qjuniorqjunior Member Posts: 2,023 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    My "dream" D'deridex would look like that, Boff layout wise:

Commander Eng

Lt. Com. Universal

Lt. Sci

Lt. Tac

Ensign Eng or Universal

That would make it possible to take the big D into any direction you want without making it OP. And it's turn rate would still suck....

:)
  • Options
    momawmomaw Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    The Singularity powers are along the lines of having additional consoles.

Don't tell anybody, but the reason I don't like the majority of special universal consoles is that they have long cooldowns. There is no conceivable universe in which a "trick" every 3 or 4 minutes is as good as 10% damage reduction, 15% stronger shields, or +30% base damage. The only universal consoles I care about and use either provide permanent improvements (assimilated, plasmonic leech), or they have cooldowns short enough that I can actually use them as part of my battle strategy (aceton assimilator). Odyssey's work bees are another example of a perfectly fine "ability in a console".

Also consider that by having -10 power to all systems, you're basically starting at "negative 8" consoles because that's how many it would take to make up that difference. Add in your singularity ability consoles and at max level you're at negative 3 console slots.
  • Options
    naeviusnaevius Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Perhaps using a singularity power should knock your power levels down for 60 seconds, but if you never fire one you would have no debuff.
    Joined October 2009. READ BEFORE POSTING
  • Options
    assimilatedktarassimilatedktar Member Posts: 1,708 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Okay, just got my T5 T'varo and took it out for a few test runs. More feedback later, but:

1) Please move the dual beam bank/heavy cannon hardpoints to the edges of the main hull. It's not a Klingon bird of prey, those are nacelles not guns.

2) I FREAKIN' LOVE THAT SHIP!

3) I was afraid that the console wouldn't work right because if you use it with the enhanced battle cloak the enmies will target the torpedo. Boy was I wrong, that thing survived the fire of three enemy T'varos. A word of warning: do not stick around cloaked when it explodes. If you have to be near you want your shields up.:D

Edit: Is it intentional that the Destabilized Plasma Torpedo isn't boosted by any effects that boost plasma torpedo damage? (Not that it isn't already powerful enough.)
    FKA K-Tar, grumpy Klingon/El-Aurian hybrid. Now assimilated by PWE.
    Sometimes, if you want to bury the hatchet with a Klingon, it has to be in his skull. - Captain K'Tar of the USS Danu about J'mpok.
  • Options
    sparhawksparhawk Member Posts: 796 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    momaw wrote: »
    Don't tell anybody, but the reason I don't like the majority of special universal consoles is that they have long cooldowns. There is no conceivable universe in which a "trick" every 3 or 4 minutes is as good as 10% damage reduction, 15% stronger shields, or +30% base damage. The only universal consoles I care about and use either provide permanent improvements (assimilated, plasmonic leech), or they have cooldowns short enough that I can actually use them as part of my battle strategy (aceton assimilator). Odyssey's work bees are another example of a perfectly fine "ability in a console".

Also consider that by having -10 power to all systems, you're basically starting at "negative 8" consoles because that's how many it would take to make up that difference. Add in your singularity ability consoles and at max level you're at negative 3 console slots.

Very much this. As a tangent those special power gimmick consoles should get their own slots on ships/and or be converted to devices.
  • Options
    ufpterrellufpterrell Member Posts: 736 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Does the t5 tvaro had an option for the tliss skin and is that torp red like from balance of terror. That would be sweeeeeeeet!
    Terrell.png

Looking for a dedicated Star Trek community? Visit www.ufplanets.com for details.
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    sparhawk wrote: »
    Very much this. As a tangent those special power gimmick consoles should get their own slots on ships/and or be converted to devices.

They provide an opportunity cost that an individual must make. If they were simply something else that people could just keep adding and adding... there's already too much munchkin gaming going on without adding more.

Situational consoles are just that - they're not the best in all cases. In some cases, they actually are better than a standard console. They require a player think more about what they're doing instead of just slapping in regular consoles and mashing their spacebar while waiting for the enemy to die.

Some folks can't handle that - it's obvious by the number of complaints.
  • Options
    spartan314159spartan314159 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    The promotion to sub commander mission will not finish and go away, is there a reason for this?
  • Options
    kalvorax#3775 kalvorax Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    The promotion to sub commander mission will not finish and go away, is there a reason for this?

devs have it uncompleted for now so we can focus on the first 3 arcs and ships...and they are still working on the rest of the stories
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I find this line of replies sadly hilarious. We put a lot of work into the massive list of fixes/changes above, and ya'll are hung up on the ability to skip our content. =p
  • Options
    archoncrypticarchoncryptic Member, Cryptic Developers Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    We are going to be testing a change to the power levels for Warbirds soon.

Rather than having a 40 base to all power levels, we are going to be testing how they perform with 45 to all power levels.

Please keep in mind that this is a test and that we may end up changing it back to 40 base or making other changes to compensate for the presence of Romulan Battle Cloaking and the Singularity mechanic on Romulan ships. For example, there is a possibility we may end up removing console slots or BOFF seats instead of or in addition to the power level differences.

We are still evaluating making changes to the Singularity mechanics and Romulan Battle Cloak as well.

Thank you for your continued testing and feedback.
  • Options
    neok182neok182 Member Posts: 551 Arc User
    edited April 2013

Rather than having a 40 base to all power levels, we are going to be testing how they perform with 45 to all power levels.

Please keep in mind that this is a test and that we may end up changing it back to 40 base or making other changes to compensate for the presence of Romulan Battle Cloaking and the Singularity mechanic on Romulan ships. For example, there is a possibility we may end up removing console slots or BOFF seats instead of or in addition to the power level differences.

We are still evaluating making changes to the Singularity mechanics and Romulan Battle Cloak as well.

Please for the love of god DO NOT remove console slots. Between all the sets your adding T5 ships NEED all 10 of those slots. Even more so for romulans since the romulan cstore consoles get a set bonus.

Boffs i would probably be alright with, but honestly, i think i rather have the lower power levels than losing boffs or consoles
    ACCESS DENIED
  • Options
    robdmcrobdmc Member Posts: 1,619 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Photonic Pulsewave is getting boosted by [Console - Tactical - Directed Energy Distribution Manifold Mk II]

http://i.imgur.com/VeNzT7c.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/UNv9uL5.jpg
  • Options
    johrmantieganjohrmantiegan Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    neok182 wrote: »
    ... i think i rather have the lower power levels than losing boffs or consoles

Very much this!
  • Options
    edited April 2013

Heh, that's how a parent does it. :)

Give something the kid doesn't want. When they complain, offer them something worse. They'll take the original. /cough

Will be interesting to see how the -5 instead of -10 works out...it might be too little. It's one of those quirky things that will depend on the ship a person is flying, their build, etc, etc, etc. It's not going to be the same for every toon - folks need to understand that.
  • Options
    dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    sounds good, -10 adds up. all other ships come with 200 energy, the rom ships only 160, that is a huge amount less. always having 180 base power, and every once and a wile having console like abilities in return sounds fair.
  • Options
    edited April 2013

Everybody is still messing around with levels 1 to 20. I don't think we're going to get a really solid read on how these systems and ships stack up to existing alternatives until we can see them at level 50 in end-game scenarios. That's where most of us are the most experienced and also where the singularity cores offer the most features to offset their costs... They feel underpowered in the early levels and I'm not a fan, but things could change down the road.
  • Options
    ladymyajhaladymyajha Member Posts: 1,427 Arc User
    edited April 2013

For the love of all the Elements, are you serious? I've defended the Singularity mechanics, but you're treatening us by saying that balance is achieved by taking away scalable, skillable, customization in the form on console slots and BOff slots, for a few powers that are on such a long recharge and don't do nearly the amount of usefullness of BOffs and consoles, as well as -5 power to all, just in order to give us this?

I've tried to keep an open mind with Cryptic, I've fought and defended quite a few of your changes in the past, but this statement boggles the mind.

How in the world can anyone who knows anything about the game think that this "possible idea" is a good idea?
  • Options
    gardatgardat Member Posts: 280 Arc User
    edited April 2013

I have a suggestion: remove the singularity mechanic completely, give all the romulan ships warp cores like everyone else and restore their power levels to normal.

The fact is the singularity powers are basically junk compared to what you lose in comparison to a normal ship. I'd far rather have 50 power to all subsystems, full console slots and a full BoFF layout.

I really appreciate the direction you are trying to take with the singularity mechanic but even with base power levels increased to 45 I'd still rather fly a normal ship. The simple fact is that subsystem power levels have very far reaching implications for all space abilities and having them permanently reduced for an occasionally available power of questionable use is just terrible.
    486 DX2/66Mhz, 4MB SD-RAM, 16KB L-1 cache, 120MB HDD, 3.5" FDD, 2x CD-ROM, 8-Bit Soundblaster Pro, IBM Model M PS/2 keyboard, Microsoft trackball mouse, 256KB S3 graphics chip, 14" VGA CRT monitor, MS-DOS 6.22
  • Options
    commanderkassycommanderkassy Member Posts: 1,005 Arc User
    edited April 2013

The singularity core powers are too situational and gimmicky to penalize anything on the rest of the ship.
    ♪ I'm going around not in circles but in spirographs.
    It's pretty much this hard to keep just one timeline intact. ♪
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    The singularity core powers are too situational and gimmicky to penalize anything on the rest of the ship.

Well, in a moment of madness I'm going to defend Cryptic here a little bit. The Romulan ships as a whole have something very special already built in, which is the battle cloak. It works. It has great availability.. It offers a lot of tactical potential. The only other ships to date that have had battle cloaks are the Klingon BOPs, which sacrifice both a bridge seat and significant basic durability compared to ships of their level.

So... it's not only the singularity abilities that we're "buying" here, it's the battle cloak, which is a completely unique feature on ships that aren't suffering from Brittle BOP Disease.

Just saying. Don't "overbalance". Halving the core penalty would go a loooong way toward justifying the singularity opportunity cost.
  • Options
    ussdanubeussdanube Member Posts: 105 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    T'Liss bird of prey seemed slightly slugguish for a small starter ship. I don't know if it's me but in combat felt more sluggish than the Mogai.

Finally, I would recommend making the D'Deridex warbird battlecruiser Retrofit Ensign Science slot an Ensign universal Slot to mitigate the loss of BOFF configurations. For example Star Cruiser BOFF, Assault Cruiser BOFF, Exploration Cruiser Retrofit BOFF (minus Saucer sep), Negh'Var Battle Cruiser BOFF, Vor'Cha Battle Cruiser Retrofit BOFF and the Mirror Vor'Cha Battlecruiser Retrofit BOFF would be availble with the simple change of making the Ensign Science slot on the D'Deridex Universal. Especially now considering you WON'T be able to use the tier 5 ships of you're ally. now they can just purchase the d'deridex retrofit.
  • Options
    hyoukihyouki Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Archon, can I please get a clarification on one of the Singularity Core blue quallity modifiers?

According to the tooltip, Singularity Cores marked [Res] give the following ability:
    "Your Singularity Shielding also provides you with 20 resistance to all damage."

There is no ability called Singularity Shielding. I checked if it was meaning Quantum Absorbtion (since this was on a Mk IV core), but when I hit that, I did not see any change to my resistance ratings. Nor did it appear to be a boost to resistances in general, whether the core was charged or not. Can you please clarify just what the heck this ability is allegedly doing for me? ^^;;; Also, 20 what? 20% 20 megatons? $20?

(My best guess at this point is that Quantum Absorption used to be named Singularity Shielding, and the boost broke with the rename.)
  • Options
    commanderkorcommanderkor Member Posts: 147 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    momaw wrote: »
    So... it's not only the singularity abilities that we're "buying" here, it's the battle cloak, which is a completely unique feature on ships that aren't suffering from Brittle BOP Disease.

This ^^^ battle cloak probably makes up the majority of what we are "paying for" with the penalties.
  • Options
    tsurutafan01tsurutafan01 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Battle cloak is a useless gimmick at least 80% of the time unless you enjoy being hit by torpedos without shields a lot.

"We are smart." - Grebnedlog

Member of Alliance Central Command/boq botlhra'ghom
  • Options
    seekerkorhilseekerkorhil Member Posts: 472
    edited April 2013

Well we can't get something for nothing. That is not how balance works. (unless you are the F-HEC which gets a hanger for nothing)

So here is a breakdown. If i've missed anything let me know.

Compared to a ship with identical hull and shields a warbird gets:

-5 all subsystems power levels
    -0-7.5 in 1 other subsystem (m/am core transfer compared to sc increase based on core level)
    -5 max to 1 subsystem (not a big deal)
    -1 turn rate

+ battle cloak
    + 1 singularity core power on at least a 90 second cooldown (closer to 105 seconds and it is only 1 because they all share this cooldown. As such you cant count it as 4 abilities)

This seems a lot fairer but still a bit harsh. -5 to all subsystems is a bit much but -0 would be too good. Maybe -5 to engines and -5 to aux would be fair. Just because it makes the most sense for those 2 subsystems to be lower.

Alternatively, put the lockout timer on the singularity core down to 30 seconds and make it take 30 seconds to charge up to full for a total cooldown of 1 minute. Then I think the -5 to all systems would be justified.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Battle cloak is a useless gimmick at least 80% of the time unless you enjoy being hit by torpedos without shields a lot.

Um...um...um...um...
  • Options
    ladymyajhaladymyajha Member Posts: 1,427 Arc User
    edited April 2013

Um... what? Seriously?
  • Options
    tsurutafan01tsurutafan01 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I have never once flown around in my Odyssey thinking "what I want is a ship that has lower power levels and a worse turn rate, where I can turn off my shields and stop shooting my weapons, it would make this battle so much more fun".

Call me crazy. This isn't really anything a D'Deridex is going to be able to use. And if that's the only tier 5 free ship, then yes. Seriously. Since nothing before Tier V really matters, at the end of the day. This game starts at level 50. A ton of content unlocks and the game opens up. Everything before that is a warm up round.

I have no idea how anyone can have any other conclusion based on what we have at the moment. Battle cloak sort of works on a BOP because it can move fast enough to make use of it. Even then BOP isn't a particularly good ship. Battle cloak may be fine on some of the C-Store ships that have a layout which suits it. On the only free ship available? No, it's not going to be particularly useful.

The real issue is how will singularity powers work at level 50. That's what we really need to see next, and will soon enough.

"We are smart." - Grebnedlog

Member of Alliance Central Command/boq botlhra'ghom