Install Arc
Options

Worst Community Ever

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Popkornn wrote:
    Where you at? I am currently invading providence with allied forces...

We had a 1,200 man fight the other night to secure sovereignty of a section of providence... good times!

Iam currently at work.:(

In Eve though I range all over the game. I went free lance arms dealer and just set up pacts with some of the big corps to be able to enter thier space and sell stuff out of different bases throught the game. I get my isk from quantity sold over quality sold, everybody needs bullets.:)
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    The WoW forums are still terrible. And personally I think all of the "random dungeon queue" nonsense has really done a lot of damage to their community.
    There's no need to worry about making friends, building a reputation, or even working within a guild. Just click random and go.

I will agree that Wow forums are still terrible. It's comforting to know someone else sees it the same way
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Hagon wrote: »
    Out of respect for my buddies in our guild that are still playing EvE after the disappointment that STO is, I'll just not comment further about the game.

You won't offend me, good sir. Your opinions are welcome!

I was merely pointing out that EVE is reliant on a community (nice or mean people, it matters not) for it's survival. If it's community fails, EVE fails.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Soulface wrote:
    Okay, so that title is mostly in jest - however I have never seen such a negative community. Yes there are bugs, yes there are things that need fixing, no it is not an exact perfect replica of what you think Star Trek should be, but it is in fact all in all a great MMO. The best part is the DEVs come here and listen to you wine and actually do something about it. I have never seen any game where somebody can go to a forum and go "Cryptic you suck because in TNG episode 4 that Klingon didn't do that man" and they CHANGE it. This game is being shaped before your very eyes - why not try being positive? I am not a fan boy by any means of Cryptic, Atari or whoever. I did however want to point out that when a new player comes to the forums and sees all this negativity and flaming - why would they check out this game.? The same flamers are complaining that the community is dwindling - LOL!

STO > it's community

Have a good day, and remember it is just a game :)

Soul

Judging from your join date, I would venture to say that you are not in a position to make judgements regarding this community. I would also contend, that you do not know it well enough personally, nor its history to come to such conclusions.

On the contrary, this community USED to be one of the most positive, fabulous communities in the MMO industry bar none. We even got complimented and showered with rewards prior to the game's launch because of our support, and outpouring of good ideas for the game.

The reason why things are the way they are, well... its a history lesson in itself. But suffice to say, Cryptic has done a few things to justify the current community's sentiment:
    • Extremely poor business tactics (beta key fiasco, file planet debacle, vibora bay, list goes on)
    • Extremely disjointed/misleading marketing (their marketing did not keep in step with the development cycle. we were therefore promised many things that were never delivered)
    • The game is BAD - Sure this is a matter of subjective opinion, but consider that this game went from over 1 million accounts, to about 100k subscriptions (probably much less at the time of this writing)... to the nearly universal disappointment in the professional gaming community (check IGN, Gamespy, Gamespot, Eurogamer, etc), I would venture to say, that this assesment is well justified.
    • Cryptic has a history for releasing rushed, unpolished content - See Champions Online and this latest patch release.

Again, the list goes on. You have missed quite a lot since I joined at the end of 2008. As a nooB, it is not your right to judge whether this community is good or bad, you do not have a proper understanding of its development. And saying you were lurking doesn't lend credence, as lurkers tend to miss the most important things that pop up every once in awhile.

This community has every right to feel disenchanted, and angered by Cryptic's shoddy handling of such a beloved IP. Not to mention their terrible treatment of dissatisfied lifetime subscribers. Last time I checked, good companies would give refunds to customers who were unhappy with their service and no longer use the service and/or product. Cryptic/Atari... is not a good company.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    • Extremely poor business tactics (beta key fiasco, file planet debacle, vibora bay, list goes on)
    • Extremely disjointed/misleading marketing (their marketing did not keep in step with the development cycle. we were therefore promised many things that were never delivered)
    • The game is BAD - Sure this is a matter of subjective opinion, but consider that this game went from over 1 million accounts, to about 100k subscriptions (probably much less at the time of this writing)... to the nearly universal disappointment in the professional gaming community (check IGN, Gamespy, Gamespot, Eurogamer, etc), I would venture to say, that this assesment is well justified.
    • Cryptic has a history for releasing rushed, unpolished content - See Champions Online and this latest patch release.

Good post Jacob,

+1 from me!
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Popkornn wrote:
    90% of ALL gear in EVE online is made by the players...

That nice new ship you just bought was made by a player, no NPC is just gonna say or here is your new ship for 1 credit...

but to be honest acquiring credits in that game are a hell of a lot easier.

I was part of a mining guild all we did was mine ore process it and sell it to other players. in no time i was incredibly rich in that game.

but then again to me that was a true player driven economy. almost like real life we mine raw materials process them into materials that things can be built out of sold them to the manufacture who then built their item who then sold them to the consumer.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Judging from your join date, I would venture to say that you are not in a position to make judgements regarding this community. I would also contend, that you do not know it well enough personally, nor its history to come to such conclusions.

On the contrary, this community USED to be one of the most positive, fabulous communities in the MMO industry bar none. We even got complimented and showered with rewards prior to the game's launch because of our support, and outpouring of good ideas for the game.

The reason why things are the way they are, well... its a history lesson in itself. But suffice to say, Cryptic has done a few things to justify the current community's sentiment:

Again, the list goes on. You have missed quite a lot since I joined at the end of 2008. As a nooB, it is not your right to judge whether this community is good or bad, you do not have a proper understanding of its development. And saying you were lurking doesn't lend credence, as lurkers tend to miss the most important things that pop up every once in awhile.

This community has every right to feel disenchanted, and angered by Cryptic's shoddy handling of such a beloved IP. Not to mention their terrible treatment of dissatisfied lifetime subscribers. Last time I checked, good companies would give refunds to customers who were unhappy with their service and no longer use the service and/or product. Cryptic/Atari... is not a good company.
    Very well said mate. I could add to that list, but you are so succinct in getting the truth in that post I just don't feel the need.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Ya.... ok. You've obviously never played EvE. :rolleyes:

I dunno Hagon, the other game which I have recently gone back to, does indeed have one of the strongest communities of any MMO. They are generally mature, and uber helpful, not to mention international. Just yesterday I joined a gang with a swedish dude, a french girl, a chinese guy, a two stupid americans (i say that affectionately as an american myself). It was a blast, not to mention the goal oriented, emergent and unscripted gameplay.

Tell me Hagon, is what we have here in STO better than what they have in the other sci -fi MMO which shall not be named?
    Popkornn wrote:
    Where you at? I am currently invading providence with allied forces...

We had a 1,200 man fight the other night to secure sovereignty of a section of providence... good times!

I'm in lower amarr, also near providence. Look me up popkorn: Rytha Main, we can fly together. This isn't me encouraging you to go play another game... as that would be considered ADVERTISING, and thus worthy of an infraction (a clarification for our DEAR mods, like Phoxe :rolleyes:)... JUST merely saying you should look me up.
    Out of respect for my buddies in our guild that are still playing EvE after the disappointment that STO is, I'll just not comment further about the game.

I too have gone back to the sci - fi MMO which shall not be named. You guys should be careful when speaking of other MMO's which you enjoy. I have recently discovered that Cryptic gives out infractions for this and consider it advertising. But anyway Hagon, you may want to return with those buddys of yours, or even look me up. They have done so much to the game since I played in 2008, and wow, I am really impressed and it realllllly makes me so much happier than what this shod of a game turned out to be.

I am NOT necessarily saying that I HAVE received infractions, because then that would be discussing moderation, which is also an infrationable OFFENSE! I'm just speculating, and hypothetically speaking if only for the benefit of my good forum comrades.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    In fairness, you don't see the rants because it isn't the crapfest this game is.

True, EVE is a different kind of crapfest. It is very useful if I ever suffer from insomnia or feel the need to be offline so my character can improve
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    mirek99 wrote:
    True, EVE is a different kind of crapfest. It is very useful if I ever suffer from insomnia or feel the need to be offline so my character can improve

I believe the point was that EVE has had 9 years of build and fix time from the DEVs and STO has only had 2 and a half years of build and fix time from Cryptic...

9 years of building something usually makes higher quality...

STO needs more time...
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Havent visited many MMO forums, have you?

Yes OP, forums really reflect the state of the MMO players much more than the games. You'll see the usual suspects trolling through and advertising their "better" games. It is really laughable in a way. If these games were better then why are they here?
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Popkornn wrote:
    I believe the point was that EVE has had 9 years of build and fix time from the DEVs and STO has only had 2 and a half years of build and fix time from Cryptic...

9 years of building something usually makes higher quality...

STO needs more time...

I totally agree with you popkorn, but that was not the point the guy I replied to was making. He was just doing a general slam on STO without remembering what his favorite crapfest was like 90 days after launch. To be fair, he probably has no idea what EVE was like since, most likely, he wasn't there. So I'm probably reacting more to his ignorant statement than anything else.
  • Options
    edited April 2010

hahahaha! So true. He's isolated, as DAoC is history now. :)
    Soulface wrote:
    I hhave never seen such a negative community.

Wow, you haven't been to many popular MMO forums in the last few years.

Some people b*tch and moan about everything. You'll always have those types around. Yet now a majority of the forum users (including myself) are b*tching and moaning about Cryptic/Atari and STO. There's a reason for that, or are you wearing blinders or rose-colored glasses to filter things? :rolleyes:

There's nothing wrong with wanting to stay positive, and many of us have done that for quite a while saying STO will get better over time. The problem is, some of us who've been doing that are darn tired of continuing to do that when we get buggy updates shoved into our laps, where Cryptic never fixes the bugs reported or addresses the issues raised. They're failing on both ends now: bug fixes and content.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Plis dont be so angry and negative. STO is all about love for Star Trek.
    How can it be the worst community ever when the devs actually listen to the players.
    And make this game better every day . I'm sure this will be a great MMO in a under a year.
    I want better raids more content on all lv and borg fleet actions on RA5 lv etc but i just have to wait.:)
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    tyyy wrote: »
    How can it be the worst community ever when the devs actually listen to the players.

There's passive and active listening. Currently they seem to be passively listening. In other words, there was a ton of good feedback about Season 1.1 update on Tribble forums, but Cryptic didn't listen and pushed it through without fixing bugs.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    We're not all negative Nancys, but as with any online gaming community there are turds in the punchbowl. I have spoken on issues I felt were important, but I've tried to keep an even keel. I paid for a lifetime membership, that says I'm betting on a better day. I whole-heartedly enjoy the game.
    I guess its the fear of an idea I love getting trashed by half-hearted effort and support is what I am most afraid to witness. ST is very near and dear to my heart, and I've seen many ST games be mediocre at best. I think when you make a title like ST into an MMO, it is akin to putting yourself on a reality show. People will see everything, even the stuff you don't want them to. I hate when the WoWites bash it because its not typical or ubereasy with multiple "I win" buttons.:eek:
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    STO needs more time...

I disagree. I think it's flawed from concept and needs to be completely scrapped and re-worked to be a decent game. Also, this needs to be another company that does this. Cryptic can't handle an IP like this.

I'm not here to rain on your parade mirek99, so there's no reason to attempt to insult me. If you enjoy STO, fine. More power too you. There are certainly a handful of subscribers that agree with you, and truly I'm glad you're having fun.

The rest of the gaming world agrees its a crapfest of EPIC proportions.

And you are correct, I did not play EVE at launch. But I have played at least a dozen others at launch, and a handful during beta. So my opinion is just as valid as yours, thank you.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Patrochlus wrote:
    We're not all negative Nancys, but as with any online gaming community there are [filter]. I have spoken on issues I felt were important, but I've tried to keep an even keel. I paid for a lifetime membership, that says I'm betting on a better day. I whole-heartedly enjoy the game.

Been there, done that. Welcome to where I was month and months and months ago. :)

Some of us are tired of eating are words and have reached the end of our patience.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Okay, so that title is mostly in jest - however I have never seen such a negative community.

you have not looked hard enough.
    Yes there are bugs, yes there are things that need fixing, no it is not an exact perfect replica of what you think Star Trek should be

You are making assumptions for a great number of people there which will also make you incorrect. You have no idea what people want as a whole from STO.
    but it is in fact all in all a great MMO

That should read "but it is, in my opinion, a great MMO" which is not fact at all.
    The best part is the DEVs come here and listen to you wine (sic) and actually do something about it. I have never seen any game where somebody can go to a forum and go "Cryptic you suck because in TNG episode 4 that Klingon didn't do that man" and they CHANGE it.

There are many companies that use their gaming community to help develop the next iteration of their products. For example, Sports Interactive, creators of the largest selling PC game of the last decade, allow quite a free attitude on their huge community forums (50K+active posters a day ) using suggestions and design concepts directly from the community to bring into the next release. They actively recruit all their in-house QA and testing teams from the community. They employ people to work in London on their games directly from the community forums.
    This game is being shaped before your very eyes - why not try being positive?

This again would be opinion. In my opinion it is not being shaped as you put it, but is a hollow concept being fleshed out as we continue to pay for it. Which is something I believe is normally done before release.
    I am not a fan boy by any means of Cryptic, Atari or whoever. I did however want to point out that when a new player comes to the forums and sees all this negativity and flaming - why would they check out this game.? The same flamers are complaining that the community is dwindling - LOL!

It would be nice to think that one has made a contribution to having saved someone some money. But I don't tell people not to play. I tell them to make up their own minds. At least the forum is still just about able to give a new member an honest view of the condition of the game. Given who will be left in 3 months that view will be a very different, and rose-tinted opinion of the remaining lifers.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    The rest of the gaming world agrees its a crapfest of EPIC proportions.

As much as it pains me to think of STO as such, BadDisplayName is right. The reviews for STO are not favorable (typically 6/10) and MMOers are going elsewhere or biding their time for other MMO releases.

As much as I wanted STO to succeed because I have so much time, energy, and money invested into it, the game is getting worse before it gets better. Proof is in the season 1.1 udpate. It's the buggiest update to date, with a MAJORITY of new features full of bugs. There were even bugs introduced in other, unrelated areas of the game that weren't there before.

For those doubting this, do your research on the Tribble forums. Or better yet, test each new feature in-game as if you were working Q/A for a company and you'll see why some of us are POed at Cryptic.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    you have not looked hard enough.

You are making assumptions for a great number of people there which will also make you incorrect. You have no idea what people want as a whole from STO.

That should read "but it is, in my opinion, a great MMO" which is not fact at all.

There are many companies that use their gaming community to help develop the next iteration of their products. For example, Sports Interactive, creators of the largest selling PC game of the last decade, allow quite a free attitude on their huge community forums (50K+active posters a day ) using suggestions and design concepts directly from the community to bring into the next release. They actively recruit all their in-house QA and testing teams from the community. They employ people to work in London on their games directly from the community forums.

This again would be opinion. In my opinion it is not being shaped as you put it, but is a hollow concept being fleshed out as we continue to pay for it. Which is something I believe is normally done before release.

It would be nice to think that one has made a contribution to having saved someone some money. But I don't tell people not to play. I tell them to make up their own minds. At least the forum is still just about able to give a new member an honest view of the condition of the game. Given who will be left in 3 months that view will be a very different, and rose-tinted opinion of the remaining lifers.

All valid - and you can sit and pick it apart all day. That is easy bro - the whole post was my opinion. But I guess you prove my point. You and many others like you come here after you already hate the game and just keep posting and posting lol. It would be like seeing a sh*t movie and hanging around on the forums continually bashing it for months. If you don't like it then why stay here? There are plaenty of other things to do that you may actually like :)
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Rational and reasonable perception of reality. Well said. :)

BTW, my lifer rose-tinted glasses are off. They've been semi-clear for some time, but as of season 1.1 update, they're completely off.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Soulface wrote:
    Actually, I have. I played DAOC for a few years then LOTRO. Both of which had great a great community.

You obviously haven't visited the Champions Online forums from back in the day ... some monumental anger came forth on those boards. What do Champions Online and Star Trek Online have in common?

Cryptic Studios.

Coincidence?
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Soulface wrote:
    the whole post was my opinion. But I guess you prove my point.

Actually he pointed out that you used the phrase "in fact", which is blatantly wrong. Many of us are POed and negative right now because 1.) we're given an unfinished product that gets new bugs over time, and 2.) we see die-hard fans and those who haven't been around much criticize us for complaining about the TRIBBLE we've received.

So let me take hundreds of dollars from you and give you an unfinished game that continues to grow bugs faster than they die. Would you be happy? Oh that's right, you don't have a lifetime sub, so you can leave STO whenever it gets too sour for your tastes. You have NO CLUE how sick and tired the rest of us are in waiting for Cryptic, Mr. joined-on-February-2010.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I'm in the same boat Cipher. (Well, almost)

I had been following this game since it's days in development at Perpetual, and when they went belly up I rejoiced that someone had picked up the game to finish it. I loved the idea of STO so much that I even bought a 1-year sub during open beta for me and my wife. So I'm not here just trying to be a troll at all, I'm truly a pained customer who honestly wishes Cryptic never would have gotten their hands on this game. I should have done my research, that's for sure.

What pains me the most is that there likely wont be another attempt at a Star Trek based MMO for many years (if ever). One of the sci-fi's most legendary IPs is reduced to a cookie-cutter version of Champions Online, and that is really a shame. It could have been fantastic.

So guys (and gals) please dont misunderstand my anger as anger towards players in any way. If you guys are enjoying it, truly I'm glad. My anger is at Cryptic and the developers of this game and stems from the disappointment from what "could have been."
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Soulface wrote:
    You and many others like you come here after you already hate the game and just keep posting and posting lol. It would be like seeing a sh*t movie and hanging around on the forums continually bashing it for months. If you don't like it then why stay here? There are plaenty of other things to do that you may actually like :)

Apparently their lives are so incredibly vacuous they have nothing else to do but keep telling us over and over again how much they hate the game.

Yes, they hate it so much they come back to the forums like QQ Sheep and rage and whine themselves to to the point of exhaustion. And yet they go on. That's some real stamina right there, lol.

Anyway, why offer constructive criticism when an irrational knee-jerk reaction works just as well? One can't help but get the feeling this is how they approach every other obstacle in life: rage, whine, QQ. Repeat.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    So guys (and gals) please dont misunderstand my anger as anger towards players in any way. If you guys are enjoying it, truly I'm glad. My anger is at Cryptic and the developers of this game and stems from the disappointment from what "could have been."

Well said.

I enjoy the bonds of friendship with my fleet and we try to make the most of STO these days with spending time doing raidisode runs and PvP together. It's all we have between dailies and the painfully boring process of leveling alts through the same missions we ran multiple, multiple times.

Like you, my anger is towards Cryptic. Sometimes it gets redirected at people who "complain about the complainers" as ironic as that sounds. ;) But still, it's really directed at Cryptic/Atari.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Budokan wrote:
    Apparently their lives are so incredibly vacuous they have nothing else to do but keep telling us over and over again how much they hate the game.

Yes, they hate it so much they come back to the forums like QQ Sheep and rage and whine themselves to to the point of exhaustion. And yet they go on. That's some real stamina right there, lol.

Anyway, why offer constructive criticism when an irrational knee-jerk reaction works just as well? One can't help but get the feeling this is how they approach every other obstacle in life: rage, whine, QQ. Repeat.

Look, another new guy who brings insults to the discussion.

Read upwards, young blood. I paid for a one-year sub so you get to listen to my horrible criticism for 9 more months! ;)
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I can't help but think of comic book guy from the simpsons when I read this thread :p
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Look, another new guy who brings insults to the discussion.

Read upwards, young blood. I paid for a one-year sub so you get to listen to my horrible criticism for 9 more months! ;)

hahahah, indeed. And I'll still be here when that person has left after eventually becoming as bitter as us who've been here too long already. I'll have to remember this thread and quote him in the future since he only joined in April.
This discussion has been closed.