test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Klingons are facing extinction!!

Comments

• voicesdarkvoicesdark Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I just had a long conversation with the Federation branch of PETA and because of the Klingon's grotesque treatment of Tribbles they have decided to launch a new campaign...

"Save a Tribble, Eat a Klingon"

T-shirts available 5-21-2409

Looks like all those Klingon Doomsday sayers were right after all. :D

Seriously though while many will probably say with their already established factions, the KDF should get a nice little bump from those that have issues with the red UI and those wanting the 1-50.

Hopefully now the only Klingon Extinction will be all the "WHAAAAA why don't we have...." whiners now that the KDF is finally full.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • sentinel64sentinel64 Member Posts: 901 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    IIRC, the Rommies will only have access to KDF ships from level 1-4, not the end-game ships (VA/Fleet Ships).

A Romulan-focused player will have to work with only Rommie ships at end-game; therefore, if the goal is to get into the high-end KDF ships then the player has to roll a KDF toon (same with FED end-game ships).
  • redshirtthefirstredshirtthefirst Member Posts: 415 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I plan to roll a Klingon as well... maybe an "alien-ized" one since I am so into the retro stuff *LOL* smooth heads and all.
    Server not responding (1701 s)
  • misterde3misterde3 Member Posts: 4,195 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I plan to roll a Klingon as well... maybe an "alien-ized" one since I am so into the retro stuff *LOL* smooth heads and all.

Yeah you can do some fun stuff with those options.

http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/8314/screenshot2013051913274.jpg

;)
  • thedodgehopperthedodgehopper Member Posts: 119 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yes, I don't think we'll be seeing Klingons go extinct. I'm not sure why these threads keep popping up. Klingons are probably one of the favorite races of Star Trek, quite possibly the favorite outside of Humans of course (Everyone loves themselves). For that reason alone I see the KDF doing well. For me personally I love the ships, and I Love a lot of things about their culture. The only thing frustrating is that sometimes I think the game focuses so much on the warlike behavior that it caricatures them a bit. For instance 'Marauding' vs. Diplomacy. I always got the sense that Klingon views of Diplomacy were very Sun Tzu in mentality. I would have liked to see just a little more nuance in that Marauding branch of Commendations for the KDF. Klingons aren't just pirate thugs, and many of them have a nobility to them while many of them don't. Its just a shame the Pirate-Thug side is mostly what you see.

All of that being said, the new introduction to Klingon faction is absolutely fantastic. I have to say it really made me feel excited about being a Klingon. I think a lot of other people will agree. In fact, I wish they would have taken Jackal1701A's advice to improve the Federation Introduction as well. Best foot forward and all that. Even so, I believe the new track of stories if they are as good as the Introductory stuff I ran, will give the Klingons much needed bolstering. I've known a lot of people over the years who wanted to play Klingon but wanted to have a full pve experience. Don't get me wrong I enjoy a good bit of pvp myself, but you have to admit a full Pve experience fleshes out the faction nicely. It completes and legitimizes it.

With that said I'll just make my own personal note: One thing I'd like to see more in storylines about the Klingon Empire going forward is a recognition of their nobler sides as well. For instance in the premise of the storyline, the Klingon Empire began its wild raiding in part because of Undine infiltration. Klingons by their nature are always looking for a good row, a good war. If they have a war they can justifiably sink their teeth into, they will launch at it like a hungry tiger in a butcher's market. That doesn't mean the less noble elements won't be involved, but it likewise doesn't mean that they aren't trying to funnel their violent tendencies into honorable pursuits. It seems to me that is one reason the culture always brings up Honor and War as a means to honorably release that cathartic rush Klingons get from battle.

At the end of the day, the Undine Conflict and the Borg conflict (and to some extent that Dominion Encroach into the Alpha quadrant) should at some point cause the Federation and Klingon attitudes to cool down a bit. Open war just hasn't made sense to me in the game, not on a long term basis. Klingon territory has stabilized (the map hasn't changed has it?) and really Klingons and Federation have far more enemies in common than reasons to go at each other's throats. Between the Omega/Maco/Honor guard setup we have going now, and the way current missions have moved I doubt we're even at Cold War standing anymore. It seems a lot more like cool attitudes toward each other, versus open conflict (Except for the pvp maps). The one big concern the Klingons have is Undine advance in the Quadrant... I think this storyline here is ripe for development but beyond this, blown out war hasn't really made much sense for me apart from an excuse for pvp matches. Then again we could just call pvp (Training exercises). All things being said I've always felt the Dominion would have made a better 'monster race' than the Klingons.

Which is funny, because really I'd like to see a few more pvp matches available than what we have now, and the ability to make CUSTOM pvp maps of our own in the Foundry. The game has been around so long, and we all know the basic few matches by now.
  • diabolicaltroopdiabolicaltroop Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    When I reached the required level in my Fed toon I switched to the Klingon side and never looked back. Now that they have made some of the requested changes I am considering dumping my fed toons. Considering I am only using them as dilithium and cash mules. I will have my Romulan toons this coming week and they will be able to be added to The Ancient and Honorable House of Seplch. This makes my Fed toons obsolete. So Making the Klingon Faction obsolete? Ha in your dreams Fed Rat Scum!:D

P.S. To the Devs, When are you going to give the KDF the great Klingon sound track we have been requesting?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXNRkn7oTG0&list=PL35684101621E4945

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SyyZPstIhc&list=PL35684101621E4945

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCgkL7okGo4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBZ2MEBTYJs&list=PL35684101621E4945

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lJbXdRsKU0&list=PL35684101621E4945

So I again make this request, (pretty please with sugar on top!!! LOL!) give us Klingons the proper music for this great game. :D
    KDF Ancient House of Seplch
    Dahar Master "Epitai" Kelrok son of Pok Seplch House Leader Tactical
    General Babd Grace O'Malley House Seplch Science Officer
    Fleet Admiral Quintus Savat House Seplch Tactical Officer
  • thedodgehopperthedodgehopper Member Posts: 119 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I totally agree about soundtracks. We, as the KDF use to have more cool Klingon based music than we have now. I really wish they'd get that sort of thematic music back into the game.
  • twg042370twg042370 Member Posts: 2,312 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yes, I don't think we'll be seeing Klingons go extinct.

As long as contraband remains to be farmed, the KDF will always have a place in STO.
    <3
  • travelingmastertravelingmaster Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    When I reached the required level in my Fed toon I switched to the Klingon side and never looked back. Now that they have made to requested changes I am considering dumping my fed toons. Considering I am only using them as dilithium and cash mules. I will have my Romulan toons this coming week and they will be able to be added to The Ancient and Honorable House of Seplch. This makes my Fed toons obsolete. So Making the Klingon Faction obsolete? Ha in your dreams Fed Rat Scum!:D

P.S. To the Devs, When are you going to give the KDF the great Klingon sound track we have been requesting?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXNRkn7oTG0&list=PL35684101621E4945

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SyyZPstIhc&list=PL35684101621E4945

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCgkL7okGo4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBZ2MEBTYJs&list=PL35684101621E4945

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lJbXdRsKU0&list=PL35684101621E4945

So I again make this request, (pretty please with sugar on top!!! LOL!) give us Klingons the proper music for this great game. :D

Agreed, it would be nice to have themes like that in-game, especially the 'battle song' in the last two. That's pretty much the go-to victory or priming-for-battle chant for Klingon enthusiasts who can speak Klingon. Listening to that while getting into a scrap in PvP would probably always get my adrenaline up. The lyrics also pretty much exemplify what Klingon warriors strive for, though in STO it's usually preferred that you not get blown up without at least severely hurting the enemy or taking one down with you.

Another great song would be this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PDY7qtTsVw
    My PvP toon is Krov, of The House of Snoo. Beware of my Hegh'ta of doom.
  • diabolicaltroopdiabolicaltroop Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The Hegh'ta is also flown by my fleet mate on his primary as for me I fly a Qin Heavy Raptor the I.K.S. Dok 'jaj the combo is very deadly and difficult to beat. However, Klingon music should be included in upcoming patches after the 21st.:D
    KDF Ancient House of Seplch
    Dahar Master "Epitai" Kelrok son of Pok Seplch House Leader Tactical
    General Babd Grace O'Malley House Seplch Science Officer
    Fleet Admiral Quintus Savat House Seplch Tactical Officer
  • macroniusmacronius Member Posts: 2,526
    edited May 2013
    Plasmonic leach == kicking a dead horse in the family jewels

Congrats Cryptic ... you suck to the nth degree
    "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

- Judge Aaron Satie
  • newromulan1newromulan1 Member Posts: 2,229
    edited May 2013
    So how is it on Qo'nos the last few days? Is it pretty vacant there?
  • magicelzomagicelzo Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So how is it on Qo'nos the last few days? Is it pretty vacant there?
    Should be full with Romulans soon! ;)
  • queeg9000queeg9000 Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Whatever happened to rolling the race you like best?

Discounting any equipment or stats what is good about Romulans?
  • bitemepwebitemepwe Member Posts: 6,760 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    We still live!!!!! Hahahahahahahahaa! We live and we will conquer!!!!! Hahahahahaaha!
    Leonard Nimoy, Spock.....:(

R.I.P
  • newromulan1newromulan1 Member Posts: 2,229
    edited May 2013
    queeg9000 wrote: »
    Whatever happened to rolling the race you like best?

Discounting any equipment or stats what is good about Romulans?

I have 19 fed and 6 KDF toons - don't think I will ever roll another one of either. of course about 13 of the feds I don't use - I used all 6 KDF daily until LoR - but all will collect a little dust while I tinker with the Romulans. I guess for a lot of players we have just gotten tired of the same thing - variety is the spice of life - but you usually come back and settle with what you feel most comfortable with - before LoR it was the KDF - now I can't say - give me another month or so.
  • coldicephoenixcoldicephoenix Member Posts: 344 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    bitemepwe wrote: »
    We still live!!!!! Hahahahahahahahaa! We live and we will conquer!!!!! Hahahahahaaha!

^ this quote above goes so well with your profile pic, roach :p

-Roach, when asked about Klingon extinction!
  • emt27emt27 Member Posts: 167 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    KDF will never be extinct..

The ones that really play them, ENJOY them.. I was/am disappointed as they continually gave all the distinctness away.. so you can play any race/faction and have anything (except massive choices unless you are fed) is kind of defeating the purpose of having different races. Next thing you know tac will be making turrets, but even with all that, I still enjoy my KDF

I looked at this game when I started and saw that KDF wasn't available until I ranked up my fed to a certain lvl. This alone made KDF desirable.. only veteran players would have them. Fed is everywhere and the ones you hear from often are whiny, self centered, new players.

KDF has always been easier to get many benefits (dilith, contraband, prisoners, strong ships, etc) and we just wanted more story, more uniqueness, more worlds, etc. It was the end game race, but some ranting fed freaks continued to cry.. why don't know.. and other new players (otherwise fed) followed suit.

Sad, but I am excited for the new content and can't wait to play
    Say something relavant or hold your tongue
  • twg042370twg042370 Member Posts: 2,312 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Beh... I was rolling Romulan KDF before it was cool.
    <3
  • chris919ukchris919uk Member Posts: 189 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Well I decided to roll a Romulan just to try the new stuff, but I've allied with the KDF. Mainly because I hated the warbird that was available at Centurion rank, but also because the Klingons have great ship designs and I already have 2 Fed characters that I find very boring.

I also have an Orion KDF character that I've started from level 1. New intro and missions are great and feel truly Klingon compared to the old run around the First City missions. Seriously tempted to roll a Gorn KDF character too.

So in regard to Klingons going extinct, I find that highly unlikely.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "You have not experienced Shakespeare until you have read him in the original Klingon, taH pagh, taH be"
    edited May 2013
    ^ this quote above goes so well with your profile pic, roach :p

Thank you. Im happy and I know it and really wanted to show it becuase nobody can hear me clap my hands.

R.I.P
  • zipagatzipagat Member Posts: 1,204 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Lol a lot of the stuff you say is sig worthy Roach.
  • dalmaciusdalmacius Member Posts: 106 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    More and more players are playing their Klingon characters more often than their FED ones.
    Must be because they are more of what we should be like, than what we are. They take all things to heart. They die for honor. They don't quit. They value the challenge from a stronger adversary. They party after a victory. They commit to a life filled with Glory. How a battle is won defines the victory and how it's lost also defines the loss. Songs are sung for battles won, and battles lost.

This phrase we have heard so many times "....it is a Coward's way to Wage War!"

Wouldn't we all feel proud of ourselves if we lived more like Klingons. If you read our history, you will see that all our past heroes were like Klingons.

Hoowaah!
  • hagar3hagar3 Member Posts: 145 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Since LoR went live I have noticed an INCREASE in the number of new KDF players. Sio I guess the KDF is not dying out.
    In case no one can hear you...scream
  • codyniz1codyniz1 Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    hagar3 wrote: »
    Since LoR went live I have noticed an INCREASE in the number of new KDF players. Sio I guess the KDF is not dying out.
    Nobody said the KDF is dying out. It will be stronger than ever with Rommies joining. The issues is the extinction of Klingons, Orions, Gorn, etc.
  • f9thaceshighf9thaceshigh Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    these threads pop up everytime anything comes out for anyone other then Klingons. If any of these predictions had been true, Qo'noS would have been a ghost town a month after launch.

Oh noes! Feds get a tribble that awards 1% damage resist to some obscure damage type... Klingons are dooooooooomed!
    Oh noes! Feds get access to batleths and Lirpas... Klingons are dooooooooomed!
    Oh noes! A mission was released that can be played by either faction... Klingons are dooooooooomed!
    Oh noes! those Romulan petaQ'pu have their own faction... Klingons are dooooooooomed!
    edited May 2013
    zipagat wrote: »
    Lol a lot of the stuff you say is sig worthy Roach.

Thanks. Though having to step lightly to avoid a ban makes my posts far less entertaining imo.
    Maybe Im slipping?

R.I.P
  • voicesdarkvoicesdark Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So how is the Romulan invasion err I mean Alliance progressing on Qo'nos? Have all the Klingons been spayed or neutered yet? Long Live the Romulan Republic Invasion force!! Their sacrifice of their sense of smell shall always be remembered when the universe is rid of the scourge that is Klingons. Psst...remember don't kill the Gorn, for they are green and their corpses make excellent boots, and their teeth make good sharp pokey things!!! :D

Seriously though are you KDF seeing a good increase of players I hope.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    voicesdark wrote: »
    So how is the Romulan invasion err I mean Alliance progressing on Qo'nos? Have all the Klingons been spayed or neutered yet? Long Live the Romulan Republic Invasion force!! Their sacrifice of their sense of smell shall always be remembered when the universe is rid of the scourge that is Klingons. Psst...remember don't kill the Gorn, for they are green and their corpses make excellent boots, and their teeth make good sharp pokey things!!! :D

Seriously though are you KDF seeing a good increase of players I hope.

Honestly, with the KDF consoles they've given to the feds I as a diehard Klingon warrior cannot in good conscious align my Rom with the KDF as I cannot afford the KDF gear without the favoritism shown by cryptic to the feds, making my Klingon gear purchases affordable to my fed lapdog character. I will not be participating as a romulan in any PvP match nor any STF encounter, and as my romulan reaches the end of the storyline missions he will be promptly deleted and recreated simply to be a storage container for the now nerfed mail system attachments.

Actually, I may not do anything with my rom toon other than pimp him out as a mule from creation, I'll look at the rom content as gated like the S7 rom content.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    hagar3 wrote: »
    dalmacius wrote: »
    More and more players are playing their Klingon characters more often than their FED ones.
    Must be because they are more of what we should be like, than what we are. They take all things to heart. They die for honor. They don't quit. They value the challenge from a stronger adversary. They party after a victory. They commit to a life filled with Glory. How a battle is won defines the victory and how it's lost also defines the loss. Songs are sung for battles won, and battles lost.

This phrase we have heard so many times "....it is a Coward's way to Wage War!"

Wouldn't we all feel proud of ourselves if we lived more like Klingons. If you read our history, you will see that all our past heroes were like Klingons.

Hoowaah!

Honestly no, in the shows the Klingons are hypocritical thugs who believe might makes right and use honour as a pretext for pride.

Still a fun faction, but no I would not want people in real life to act more like Klingons.

]
This discussion has been closed.