test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Klingons are facing extinction!!

Comments

• zipagatzipagat Member Posts: 1,204 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    There are still way more KDF than Romulans around and on the homeworld. The Romulans just stand out more because we are not used to seeing them there. That and their ships are all huge.
  • ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited June 2013
    I am primarily a fed player, but I have 2 klingon toons and plan to add 1 more romulan as a KDF ally. I have not played Klingons much recently; leveling a romulan and finishing the reps on 5 toons is time consuming.

But I want to try the new missions from the beginning. I do enjoy MUCH of what playing a klingon has to offer.

One 'red flag' holding me back playing a Klingon is the fleets. While there are good and bad fleet experiences regardless of faction, my experience with Klingon fleets has been overwhelmingly bad. Maybe it's roleplaying the 'klingon lifestyle' or just bad luck in my choosing the fleets poorly - I am hesitant to paint all Klingon fleets as bad.

Here is my record to date (i have left out the fleet names as per forum requirements);

KDF Fleet A - run by a pair of friends as little more than a personal storage facility. Donated 1.6 million worth of assets - zero access to resources. Kicked out when I asked for access.

Klingon Fleet B - 200 fleet members, 3 actively donating. I donated 1.2 million worth, was promoted, but not 'enough' resources to allow me to buy anything. Note: I wasn't always on when they came available. After 4 weeks of trying to time my gameplay so I could buy weapons as assets came available, I left on my own. Stopped playing a klingon for 4 months.

Klingon Fleet C (Well known fleet) - 250+ members. 4 emails in first 3 days with escalating donation demands. Note the first email was the usual - 'here what you need to do to gain access' while the other 2 were clear demand letters. I was willing to meet the demands so I donated 385,000 in first week, kicked the following week because I had not 'donated anything'.

I have no desire to start my own fleet after seeing the real costs involved. I'm a member of two decent fed fleets, one just 38 days away fromt T5 starbase. 14 mil donated between the two and VERY happy to keep on donating.

The question i would ask is, given my experience with klingons as a player, why would I support them in the future?
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Yes but as to the original OP - how many of those are Romulan? Have Romulans taken over the homeworld?

Well honestly, this is from my perspective and from what I've encontered while leveling my new Klingon and doing stuff on Qo'noS with my old pre-LoR toons, so it might not be representative, but the species that new chars. (not lvl 50) belong to are the folowing (by numbers encountered):

1. Gorn
    2. Lethean
    3. Klingon/Romulan

The number of Ferasan/Nausicaan/Orion new chars I've seen was aproximately the same and quite a bit lower that the top 3 I mentioned. I'm saying again - this is from what I've encountered.
    The conclusion is that the Romulans won't take over Qo'noS from Klingons for their number being about the same, while the popularity rise for Letheans has personally suprised me, although they're mean looking and the rapture attack is a nice thing to have.
    Needless to say, all the Gorn jokes and puns indications about the popularity of the Gorn were not missleading, as I can see now that since KDF turned full-faction, there are many people who started a Gorn char.
    Interesting enough, I also see a vast increase in the number of Orion ships orbiting Qo'noS and patrolling Omega Leonis.
    HQroeLu.jpg
    edited June 2013
    The question i would ask is, given my experience with klingons as a player, why would I support them in the future?

I'm very sorry to hear that you had such bad experiences with KDF fleets. But one thing worth mentioning is that every faction/side has it's fair share of rotten apples. My experience so far has been that there are far less on the KDF side, probably due to the lower general population of the faction.
    I'm not saying that there are no such experieces, since you clearly mentioned some, but it might be a streak of bad luck on your side. However, don't let that discourage you, I never had such experiences with KDF fleets and the ones I'm in are very nice, casual, cooperative with set rules that are respected, so any member knows exactly what he needs to do in order to get a promotion or access to the fleet stores.

At the end, all players playing STO are people living on Earth. And we come in all kinds of packs. Some are nice, some are rude, some are trolling, some are thieves etc., you get the point. It's not anybody roleplaying anything, is just some people being a***s. Those things are not faction exclusive. Every faction has it's fair share of everything good and bad.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • szioulszioul Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    One 'red flag' holding me back playing a Klingon is the fleets. While there are good and bad fleet experiences regardless of faction, my experience with Klingon fleets has been overwhelmingly bad. Maybe it's roleplaying the 'klingon lifestyle' or just bad luck in my choosing the fleets poorly - I am hesitant to paint all Klingon fleets as bad.

Let me guess. All those were advertising on Zone chat. Never join those. There's usually a reason they need to spam chat.

Look around the Klingon Fleet forums, and not just the first couple of pages, or just keep your eyes open for fleets when playing, and ask the players what their fleets are like and if they're recruiting.
  • mid403mid403 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    OP, Please treat your asperger's
  • macroniusmacronius Member Posts: 2,526
    edited June 2013
    Try the Imperial Klingon Military. It is my fleet and it is very good to new players. Shouldn't take more 50K dilithium to get access to fleet shipyard ... from what I remember.

Online game is "Amala" ... PM me and I will invite.

I am primarily a fed player, but I have 2 klingon toons and plan to add 1 more romulan as a KDF ally. I have not played Klingons much recently; leveling a romulan and finishing the reps on 5 toons is time consuming.

But I want to try the new missions from the beginning. I do enjoy MUCH of what playing a klingon has to offer.

Here is my record to date (i have left out the fleet names as per forum requirements);

KDF Fleet A - run by a pair of friends as little more than a personal storage facility. Donated 1.6 million worth of assets - zero access to resources. Kicked out when I asked for access.

Klingon Fleet B - 200 fleet members, 3 actively donating. I donated 1.2 million worth, was promoted, but not 'enough' resources to allow me to buy anything. Note: I wasn't always on when they came available. After 4 weeks of trying to time my gameplay so I could buy weapons as assets came available, I left on my own. Stopped playing a klingon for 4 months.

Klingon Fleet C (Well known fleet) - 250+ members. 4 emails in first 3 days with escalating donation demands. Note the first email was the usual - 'here what you need to do to gain access' while the other 2 were clear demand letters. I was willing to meet the demands so I donated 385,000 in first week, kicked the following week because I had not 'donated anything'.

I have no desire to start my own fleet after seeing the real costs involved. I'm a member of two decent fed fleets, one just 38 days away fromt T5 starbase. 14 mil donated between the two and VERY happy to keep on donating.

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

- Judge Aaron Satie
  • zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Well being before LoR there was only like 1 or 2 instances on qo'nos and never more than 1 in qo'nos space. Now there are 2-3 qo'nos space and 8-10 instances of first city so kdf isn't facing extinction rofl.
  • keithforemankeithforeman Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Hi

This is probably not the best place for this post, and if so im sorry about that, but the forums wont let me start a new thread yet.

I've come back to the game after a looong absence (Feds were the only really playable faction back then...) and im looking at the KDF and Romulan stuff and wondering which to start a new toon on. I've always liked the Klingon ships but I'm not sure about all this "honourable warrior" stuff.

So I guess what im wondering is, is the Klingon content, from lvl 1, fun to play? Is it worth starting a toon in the Klingon faction?
  • coldicephoenixcoldicephoenix Member Posts: 344 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    lucho80 wrote: »
    Give Klingons some unique excellent space trait, problem solved.
    Not Klingons yet, but Nausicans get a 2% damage bonus in space I think. Not sure how it would apply for the BOffs, but it does apply for the Nausican Capn.. so a good option I suppose for those who min-max all the time

We still live!!!!! Hahahahahahahahaa! We live and we will conquer!!!!! Hahahahahaaha!

-Roach, when asked about Klingon extinction!
  • loukocloukoc Member Posts: 1,189 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Why play Klingon? Well it has better species than Fed, more species than elitist Romulans who take no aliens (not even cats!) in their ranks. Green UI annoys my eyes so I still prefer red.

Keith, yes it's worth it playing from level 1 KDF, some of the old missions have been revamped, like the House of Torg storyline, when in the end ......... dies, some more missions have been added, the old shipyard transporter officer has been executed and a new one has been put who actually transports you correctly (he actually says that his predecessor was executed) and, as I said before you got more species choices than elf, cyborg elf (if you're a lifer) and pig-bat hybrid (if you pay for Legacy pack, C-store unlock or T5 Romulan rep).
    edited June 2013
    Hi

This is probably not the best place for this post, and if so im sorry about that, but the forums wont let me start a new thread yet.

I've come back to the game after a looong absence (Feds were the only really playable faction back then...) and im looking at the KDF and Romulan stuff and wondering which to start a new toon on. I've always liked the Klingon ships but I'm not sure about all this "honourable warrior" stuff.

So I guess what im wondering is, is the Klingon content, from lvl 1, fun to play? Is it worth starting a toon in the Klingon faction?

Well, to be honest I think only you can have the answer to that question. It all comes down to personal preferences, some people love the KDF, others hate it.

In my personal opinion it's very well worth it to give it a try. I created a new Klingon char. to go through the full KDF experience that LoR made possible and I don't regret it.
    In the very least you should give it a try, the new Klingon missions can only be described as epic, very faithfull to the IP with great background setup and with random comic elements included to get you more in the mood. Some of the best work Cryptic has done in STO so far, I'll give them that. :) Also some of the old missions have been reworked and are way better now.

To answer your question in short, yes the Klingon content - especially the one you start off with, is very fun and enjoyable to play, IMHO.
    Just rolled a new Ferasan and loving it. Specced up for ground he still does ok in space for an engineer in the Peghqu' Heavy Destroyer. Love the ability to explore inaccessible parts of the map with the 75% jump increase over a normal toon.

Going to roll a KDF Romulan later as well, giving me 3 KDF and 4 Fed in total.

Long live the Empire!

Qapla'! ;)
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • majesticmsfcmajesticmsfc Member Posts: 1,401 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Simply put the KDF is more fun, a more friendlier community (through zone chat has gone downhill since LoR, probably Federation players playing Rommies and decided to ally with the KDF for the dilithium and stuff), always someone on to answer your question and help out, many fleets to choose from in fact the KDF has the first T5 fleet that maxed out in science too which is a big achievement.

We have some of the best missions in the game, some of the coolest toys, some of the best species and our Omega Reputation gear is awesome and the honour guard costume you unlock at the end is awesome looking.

The question shouldn't be why would you roll a KDF, it should be why wouldn't you roll a KDF character? ;)
    Support the Game by Supporting the KDF, equality and uniqueness for all factions!
  • thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,545 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    There is only one possible answer to the question, "Should I roll a KDF toon?" This answer is - abso-frakkin'-lutely! The new content for starting from lvl 01 is very well written and enjoyable to play. Did it with my Lvl 50 TAC and it was impossible to stop playing until I finished all of it. Turned right around and played thru it with my other Klink toon and had just as much fun the second time. Even the repurposed missions are entertaining because I've always wondered how well my Klink would fare in them. The answer is very well. Much more fun to play them as a tlhIngan bekk instead of a Federation grass eater.

So what are you waiting for?
    Why are you still here reading this when you could be earning glory and honor for your House?
    Hurry up already!
    Don't make me come over there with the Pain Sticks! ;)
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
    edited June 2013
    It's a good thing you rolled a Ferasan matt, that gives us felines (more power to kill J'mpok and take over) um sorry about that, I meant, more power to serve the Empire well *whistles innocently* :rolleyes:

(the brackets replace the slash in the middle of the letters that these forums desperately need)
  • cptjhuntercptjhunter Member Posts: 2,288 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Just rolled a liberated borg KDF TAC, (wanted to start from LV1) having a good time. Talked a few of my Fed Fleeties into trying the KDF, and they are kicking themselves for not doing it sooner.I have to date, 6 Feds, 3 KDF,and 1 Rommie.
  • costello5672costello5672 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I just rolled a brand-new Klingon science officer, JUST to play the new content, so... I don't see that as "Ermagerd, no one will ever play a Klingon again!!!!1!eleven"

On top of that, I've played a Romulan up to level 43 and I can say that all the shiny Romulan ships aren't all that game-breaking...

My biggest concern regarding the LoR expansion is how the quality of the community KDF-side has taken a hit.

So far, it's not quite as bad as Fed Zone chat, but it is getting there.
  • zarxidejackozarxidejacko Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Always was Klingon because(cloak!) i wanted to play Romulans from 2010...
    Rolled Rom... meh.. Back to RED EMPIRE !
    2010 is my join date.
  • flyingcatmanflyingcatman Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Klingons facing extinction? This is what you get for using unsafe energy production practices on Praxis, the moon goes and blows up. Really, you must attend a basic lecture at Starfleet Academy sometime. You'd learn so much.
    edited June 2013
    Klingons facing extinction? This is what you get for using unsafe energy production practices on Praxis, the moon goes and blows up. Really, you must attend a basic lecture at Starfleet Academy sometime. You'd learn so much.

I would come on my Breen ship and Breen-attack San Francisco again but it's too much effort. I'd much rather let those Starfleet cadets continue to perform dangerous maneuvers around Saturn which need a whole hearing to clear up...
  • flyingcatmanflyingcatman Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    loukoc wrote: »
    I would come on my Breen ship and Breen-attack San Francisco again but it's too much effort. I'd much rather let those Starfleet cadets continue to perform dangerous maneuvers around Saturn which need a whole hearing to clear up...

I'll have you know, those Cadets were performing their maneuvers without orders, and they will be dealt with accordingly. Oh, and thanks for letting us know about them :o

Back on topic, Klingons population in the game is declining :( We must find a way to fix this.
  • drkfrontiersdrkfrontiers Member Posts: 2,477 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I'll have you know, those Cadets were performing their maneuvers without orders, and they will be dealt with accordingly. Oh, and thanks for letting us know about them :o

Back on topic, Klingons population in the game is declining :( We must find a way to fix this.

More Orion Brothels! Maybe a peep-show. Throw in Tribble-thumper game where the tibble pops out a hole and you have to bang him with your Bat'leth!
  • bitemepwebitemepwe Member Posts: 6,760 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Nobody has poked us with a stick yet. The true denotion of something dead is you can poke it with a stick.

Keep in mind though that living things poke back.
    Leonard Nimoy, Spock.....:(

R.I.P
  • newromulan1newromulan1 Member Posts: 2,229
    edited June 2013
    bitemepwe wrote: »
    Nobody has poked us with a stick yet. The true denotion of something dead is you can poke it with a stick.

Yes there is still some movement left - but it seems for the moment to be from the Green half of the body.

The Q's are getting bare again.

I still can't understand why stuff like the Big Dig, Mirror event, Colony invasion, etc - can't be made cross faction.
  • dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    battle cruisers and bops are still just barely unique enough to make the kdf still mater, sorta. the same thing said about the kdf in this thread could apply to the feds too. but feds are more popular.

kdf end game ships are growing a tad stale though, a fleet version of the tier 2 cruiser, tier 3 and 4 rapter, and maybe some more fleet bops would be nice. those shouldn't require new art, and would be quick and easy to make.
  • zipagatzipagat Member Posts: 1,204 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    bitemepwe wrote: »

Does it count if you poke them back with a bat'leth ? :D It seems to work well on those Elachi petaQ thats for sure.
  • twoofnine1twoofnine1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    i didnt read tho all this but dont rommys only get up to tr 4 kdf ships no tr 5 right? so anyone who wants to fly a badass bop would roll kdf in fact i now play kdf after the new ui its now ezer on my eyes
    edited June 2013
    twoofnine1 wrote: »
    i didnt read tho all this but dont rommys only get up to tr 4 kdf ships no tr 5 right? so anyone who wants to fly a badass bop would roll kdf in fact i now play kdf after the new ui its now ezer on my eyes

Yeah the Romulans can only access Tiers 1-4 ships from the KDF/Starfleet, for T5 they are on their own.
    edited June 2013
    twoofnine1 wrote: »

Yes, I like the new KDF default UI as well. For the record, I loved the old one as well, but this one is really nice.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • majesticmsfcmajesticmsfc Member Posts: 1,401 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The KDF really needs new costumes, more choices, more science ships as it's something we really lack and also something needs to be done to help the Fleet situation the KDF faces. Obviously we will never have the same amount of players as Fed's so something needs to be to take this into factor and make it easier for KDF fleets.
    Support the Game by Supporting the KDF, equality and uniqueness for all factions!
This discussion has been closed.