test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

I'm confused about the countdown

ussweatherlightussweatherlight Member Posts: 16 Arc User
What is it counting down to? At the moment, it says 11:15:21:50. That's 11 and a half days. What is in 11.5 days? It's not May, like the date in the pic.

"Second star on the right, and straight on till morning."

U.S.S. Weatherlight
Post edited by ussweatherlight on

Comments

• Options
    dareaudareau Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    The countdown is till the date/time that they will reveal more information about the may release.

Take this as you will...
    Detecting big-time "anti-old-school" bias here. NX? Lobi. TOS/TMP Connie? Super-promotion-box. (aka the two hardest ways to get ships) Excelsior & all 3 TNG "big hero" ships? C-Store. Please Equalize...

To rob a line: [quote: Mariemaia Kushrenada] Forum Posting is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever. However, opinions will change upon the reading of my post.[/quote]
  • Options
    tuskin67tuskin67 Member Posts: 1,097 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I'm surprised people are still confused about this, what else would it be counting to if it isn't May? AN official announcement.
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    It's customary to have a countdown to an event rather than an announcement. Not improbable, but it is very confusing.
  • Options
    ussweatherlightussweatherlight Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    It's customary to have a countdown to an event rather than an announcement. Not improbable, but it is very confusing.

This is what I was thinking. That announcement should be pretty spectacular to do a countdown.

"Second star on the right, and straight on till morning."

U.S.S. Weatherlight
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    This is what I was thinking. That announcement should be pretty spectacular to do a countdown.

'Tis a bit odd iddnit? Not even the F2P release got a countdown, so whatever in the heck this is, the devs must feel it's big.
  • Options
    daskippadaskippa Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    It's called hype; it's how one separates suckers from wallets
  • Options
    eisaakazeisaakaz Member Posts: 112 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    'Tis a bit odd iddnit? Not even the F2P release got a countdown, so whatever in the heck this is, the devs must feel it's big.

You guys need to start looking at the big picture. This is an International game, Americans aren't the only ones playing it, and it is owned by a Chinese company that specializes in Free 2 Play markets.....

This is part of their formula. Here is what the announcement is:

1. Romulan Lock boxes with Romulan Battle Cruiser rewards.
    2. A season 8 episode with 5 new missions spread out over 5 weeks.
    3. Maybe some new Zen junk, like uniforms.
    4. Maybe some new Fleet/FTS content involving the new romulans.
    5.... and this is the big one, more worthless TRIBBLE for you to waste money on.

So enjoy

Eisaak
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    eisaakaz wrote: »
    You guys need to start looking at the big picture. This is an International game, Americans aren't the only ones playing it, and it is owned by a Chinese company that specializes in Free 2 Play markets.....

This is part of their formula. Here is what the announcement is:

1. Romulan Lock boxes with Romulan Battle Cruiser rewards.
    2. A season 8 episode with 5 new missions spread out over 5 weeks.
    3. Maybe some new Zen junk, like uniforms.
    4. Maybe some new Fleet/FTS content involving the new romulans.
    5.... and this is the big one, more worthless TRIBBLE for you to waste money on.

So enjoy

Eisaak

Care to make a bet on that one? :P
  • Options
    vesterengvestereng Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I am ready to wager against zen uniforms with everything I have.

Last week in the podcast it was said it takes more time to do a costume than a ship, hence why they moved outfits to lockboxes.
  • Options
    eisaakazeisaakaz Member Posts: 112 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Care to make a bet on that one? :P
    I am ready to wager against zen uniforms with everything I have.

Last week in the podcast it was said it takes more time to do a costume than a ship, hence why they moved outfits to lockboxes.

I am not saying they will be good uniforms, but follow the pattern, Ferengi lock boxes = some Lobi dresses. Cardassian lock boxes = some jewelery. Tholian lock boxes = some armor upgrades. Temporal lock boxes = time uniforms. Winter Wonderland = snow suits and boots. Fleet system = Oddy uniform, Romulan Embassy = really ugly 2000 year out of date Romulan Ambassador off duty uniform. So there will be something new to wear.

All lock boxes come with one "Ultra Rare" Ship or two .4% payout(in this case Romulan War Birds). All lock boxes come with a revamp of some Mirror of normal ships. This takes ten minutes to move a console around and throw a new paint scheme on a model.

Lock boxes are Perfect Worlds bread and butter so that is going to be the new big thing every time they get a chance, and since they didn't make any huge announcement on the last few lock boxes, they will throw in a 5 episode season which we are overdue for.

Lastly depending on what price point they are trying to hit per player and how popular the Lobi store is, they may throw a few more things into the Lobi store. My bet is that if these new MK XII weapon/space sets/ground sets upgrades are doing well they may move a few more upgrades that way... COUNT on the Adorian Space weapons getting a Lobi MK XII boost soon.

Eisaak
  • Options
    tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited March 2013
    Not every countdown leads to a product launch. For instance, movies have had countdowns to trailers for ages.
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • Options
    emacsheadroomemacsheadroom Member Posts: 994 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    tacofangs wrote: »
    Movies have had countdowns to trailers for ages.

Now you're just gonna get in trouble for giving up the goods.
  • Options
    tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited March 2013
    No goods have been given up. Nothing above says anything about what OUR countdown is for.

I was simply saying that countdowns to non-product launches are commonplace.
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • Options
    sean2448sean2448 Member Posts: 815 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I think it is for testing for may update I think it is bigger than season 5
    that was a month and a half
  • Options
    sean2448sean2448 Member Posts: 815 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Not every countdown leads to a product launch. For instance, movies have had countdowns to trailers for ages.

I think so you firing up the trolls
  • Options
    emacsheadroomemacsheadroom Member Posts: 994 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    No goods have been given up. Nothing above says anything about what OUR countdown is for.

And nobody specifically mentioned trailers until you did. You've been caught.
  • Options
    toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    edited March 2013

That makes me sad.

If you have something to say, say it. If you have something to release, release it. (Of course, in case of STO, test it first, then test it again and again.)

It's just dumb to have a teaser starting a countdown to a preview starting another countdown ...

It's probably working in ramping up interest for the subject, but it's just dumb for us consumers to put up with it.
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    toiva wrote: »
    That makes me sad.

If you have something to say, say it. If you have something to release, release it. (Of course, in case of STO, test it first, then test it again and again.)

It's just dumb to have a teaser starting a countdown to a preview starting another countdown ...

It's probably working in ramping up interest for the subject, but it's just dumb for us consumers to put up with it.

I dunno. It's new. That's something. :D
  • Options
    crusty8maccrusty8mac Member Posts: 1,381 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    The countdown is a marketing tool. If you are feeling anything - even confusion - because of it, it has achieved their goal.
  • Options
    lincolninspacelincolninspace Member Posts: 1,843 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    tuskin67 wrote: »
    I'm surprised people are still confused about this, what else would it be counting to if it isn't May? AN official announcement.

The end of the world as we know it...
    A TIME TO SEARCH: ENTER MY FOUNDRY MISSION at the RISA SYSTEM
    Parallels: my second mission for Fed aligned Romulans.
  • Options
    dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    It's a countdown to... A NEW COUNTDOWN! :eek:
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    This is the Official, Unofficial-Countdown to the Official, Official-Countdown.

Officially, it's being considered an authorized countdown, to authorization of the official countdown.

:P
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I suspect the countdown is counting down to the release of a trailer, or teaser of some sort. I also predict that at the end of that teaser / trailer, we're going to get our first glimpse of a fully fleshed out Iconian.

I don't think the countdown is just going to be a whole bunch of information, cause in truth, we pretty much already know enough about this next update. We know it's going to focus a lot on the Romulans, Sela and D'Tan likely. We know there is a featured episode series coming with it, and we know that the Iconian are going to guest star.

If the idea was to release some info telling us that then they might as well remove the countdown as we already know. Short of a trailer / teaser, there's not much else they can be doing. There wont be no update / download at the end of it, that wont come until May.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • Options
    duaths1duaths1 Member Posts: 1,232 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    i suspect a launch of a new FE.

in 11 days an announcement, every week one episode with the last mission in 1st may week,
    when hopefully we get to play Romulan Faction.
  • Options
    twg042370twg042370 Member Posts: 2,312 Arc User
    edited March 2013

Hollywood produces online teasers for their trailers now. Nothing out of the ordinary
    <3
  • Options
    hravikhravik Member Posts: 1,203 Arc User
    edited March 2013

Is it the countdown to when your plan for Taco world domination takes effect?
  • Options
    merryprankster2merryprankster2 Member Posts: 62 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    It's probably the countdown to when PWE pulls the plug on the servers, because the game isn't financially solvent, anymore. Although, I must admit, the lockbox economy does seem to be sputtering along, just fine, at the moment.
  • Options
    zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Yeah the countdown imo every since it popped up it has been stated by cryptic people to listen to interviews to find out about it but in all the interviews they don't give up any details on anything pretty much. Most people quit listening to interviews because its sometimes hours of time to listen to them all but in each one they say we can't say anything yet so it looses its appeal to listen to them so this count down thing I would say was just a tactic to try to get people to actually listen to them but I won't bother anymore... same reason stoked died off...
  • Options
    sonicshowersonicshower Member Posts: 216 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    It is a count down till when I log back in to see what the fuss was about
    sh2sxc7.gif
  • Options
    delsabereduxdelsaberedux Member Posts: 244 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    It's a countdown to... A NEW COUNTDOWN! :eek:

Funny enough, stuff like that has happened elsewhere. There was a rash of countdown timers and teaser sites for games just a few years ago. Seemingly every major release had one, sort of like how every other movie out of Hollywood was "based on a true story" for a couple years. So a "countdown to a countdown" gives me vague memories of a Metal Gear Solid unveil or something which did almost exactly that.

So really, on some level everything can be traced back to Hideo Kojima, is basically what I'm saying. La Li Lu Le Lo...
    Relax.