test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

STO Reboots My Computer

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
I posted previously about 'artifacting' with an ATI 5850 graphics card. I've since had that card RMA'd and a replacement has been installed, which works fine other than I'm back to theproblem of my computer rebooting seemingly randomly while playing STO. It did this with the previous faulty ATI 5850 too.

Yesterday it occured shortly after turning on my PC. I'd been in STO for maybe 10 minutes and bang, screen locks and PC reboots.

Normally, when I turn the PC back on, it sounds like the PSU fans go into overdrive for a few seconds.

I decided to try and monitor the temperatures while I played STO last night. So I ran CPUID, then launched STO in windowed mode. The game didn't crash at all all evening, for the 4 hours I was playing... I have to assume the problem occurs only when the game is in full screen mode, but can't be sure...

Here are the peak operating temperatures and voltages I recorded:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2799/4330012174_ebc29b2261_o.jpg

The GPU looks hot, but is it too hot?

I use a large Akasa case with 3 internal cooling fans, NOT including the CPU, PSU and GPU fans. I currently have no overclocks. Everything is running at stock.

I suspect that maybe the PSU isn't up to the job, but it's a Corsair 750W. That should be fine for this graphics card right?

Someone posted a command I will try in another thread, /maxfps 30. I'll see if that makes any difference tonight. I also plan to run various stress tests; Prime95, FurMark etc.

Does anyone have any other advice for me? :)

Cheers :rolleyes:
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Download MSI Afterburner for the 5850. Which is personaly what i use to manualy adjust the fan speed when the card starts to heat up.

Looking at the pic you posted, its it running way to hot. Hence why the PC is rebooting.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    The only things that will reboot a computer is an inadequate PSU, excessive heat (which your card is fine on) or incorrectly installed drivers.

I notice you have a 750 watt PSU. How many amps is that putting out on the 12v rail? It's fine wattage wise, depending on the total load of your other components, but it's the amps you need to worry about. That card is power hungry as hell.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    On my Nvidia 9800GT i have the fan set to about 90% all the time just to have it cool before it gets hot, personally I think its better to keep the fan running faster to get ready for heat.

RivaTuner is another tool that works to speed up the fan, I have no idea about ATI but, for Nvidia it works better then my NTune lol.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    TurboPimp wrote: »
    On my Nvidia 9800GT i have the fan set to about 90% all the time just to have it cool before it gets hot, personally I think its better to keep the fan running faster to get ready for heat.

RivaTuner is another tool that works to speed up the fan, I have no idea about ATI but, for Nvidia it works better then my NTune lol.

ATI fan speeds can be altered through catalyst control panel. or you can remove the heatsink on your gcard, pull the blue wire away and it will default at full speed :D
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    tedgp123 wrote: »
    The only things that will reboot a computer is an inadequate PSU, excessive heat (which your card is fine on) or incorrectly installed drivers.

I notice you have a 750 watt PSU. How many amps is that putting out on the 12v rail? It's fine wattage wise, depending on the total load of your other components, but it's the amps you need to worry about. That card is power hungry as hell.

I suspect the PSU myself.

How do I find out how many amps it is putting out on the 12v rail?

And any idea why it only seems to crash randomly while in full screen mode, but not in windowed mode?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    MADMAN69UK wrote: »
    I suspect the PSU myself.

How do I find out how many amps it is putting out on the 12v rail?

And any idea why it only seems to crash randomly while in full screen mode, but not in windowed mode?

It s a good possiblity its your PSU. Also you might have a bad stick of RAM. I had a big random bluescreen issue for the longest of time running Battlefield 2 (esp patching the game where it would always fail with a crc error) it turned out that my PNY memory stick was bad. The only way I found that out was by running memtest 86. Just a thought.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    THeBaka wrote:
    It s a good possiblity its your PSU. Also you might have a bad stick of RAM. I had a big random bluescreen issue for the longest of time running Battlefield 2 (esp patching the game where it would always fail with a crc error) it turned out that my PNY memory stick was bad. The only way I found that out was by running memtest 86. Just a thought.

I did try running MemTest-86, but it only runs for like 5 seconds then the computer reboots.

I have 4GB of memory, I thought maybe that could have caused the reboot with MemTest-96?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    my pc just did the same thing. it auto-restarted unsafely.

ATI HD 4890 it goes to about 50-70 while playing STO i have the fan set to 60-65%.

later on im gunna open up my rig and make sure the ram and gfx card are in properly....
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    In open beta there was an advanced command line code that foced the game not to take up all of your resources. That seemed to help a lot of people but I can't remember the line.... I could use it myself actually.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I just had a good 2 hour session without a single reboot.
    I ran "/maxfps 40" before I started though.

That isn't really long enough to confirm anything though I don't think.

I'll try and get a longer session in over the weekend.
  • Options
    edited February 2010

nope, its not. today i have had 1 reboot. and 2 CTD's... (about 3 hours gameplay in-between all of it.

it's not good enough ah well all we can do is pray/hope they are working on it.
  • Options
    edited February 2010

I was helping out another forum user. Your guys GFX card might be overheating and crashing. If you have a decent quality ATI or nVidia card go ahead and download this program. It is called GPUz It is aprogram that can monitor your temps in real time on your graphics card. Install and run the program before your next STO session. from time to time during the session (esp during big battles) minimize the game and check your temps on your GPU using GPUz. Also you might want to check out speedfan to check all your temps in real time to makesure they are not overheating.

GPUz
    http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/

SpeedFan
    http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    THeBaka wrote:
    I was helping out another forum user. Your guys GFX card might be overheating and crashing. If you have a decent quality ATI or nVidia card go ahead and download this program. It is called GPUz It is aprogram that can monitor your temps in real time on your graphics card. Install and run the program before your next STO session. from time to time during the session (esp during big battles) minimize the game and check your temps on your GPU using GPUz. Also you might want to check out speedfan to check all your temps in real time to makesure they are not overheating.

GPUz

SpeedFan

card isnt over heating at all, so i know for me that isnt the problem. my ATI 4890 runs steady between 50-70.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I have an Nvidia 8800 GTS, and experienced the same problems with rebooting.
    I had to start the game in safe mode( windowed as well) or it would crash just as the character screen loaded or after I chose my character and hit play.
    Once I was in the game, I turned every single graphic to its highest level and was able to play continuously with no crashing. ( i would switch to full screen mode once i was in the game and playing)

This issue happened to me after different patches during OB.
    Sometimes i could start normally others, normally after a patch it would crash my entire computer.

i am 100% it is not my system.

Something else to note, after today's patch, I started my game in windowed mode safe mode as usual, it's the only way I can play now since the game went "live"
    Instead of it crashing my system, I had an error displayed, it mentioned something about a hogg/ bin directory.. I can't be certian... it also mentioned a CRC error when attempting to read a file.
    I let it force verify all the files, re-started and same error.

At this point, I uninstalled the game. I took my preorder receipt back to the store I purchased the game and received my refund.
    I am only posting in hopes it may help someone in this case the OP.

Good luck.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Scarlanah wrote:
    I have an Nvidia 8800 GTS, and experienced the same problems with rebooting.
    I had to start the game in safe mode( windowed as well) or it would crash just as the character screen loaded or after I chose my character and hit play.
    Once I was in the game, I turned every single graphic to its highest level and was able to play continuously with no crashing. ( i would switch to full screen mode once i was in the game and playing)

Sometimes i could start normally others, normally after a patch it would crash my entire computer.

i am 100% it is not my system.

Something else to note, after today's patch, I started my game in windowed mode safe mode as usual, it's the only way I can play now since the game went "live"
    Instead of it crashing my system, I had an error displayed, it mentioned something about a hogg/ bin directory.. I can't be certian... it also mentioned a CRC error when attempting to read a file.
    I let it force verify all the files, re-started and same error.

At this point, I uninstalled the game. I took my preorder receipt back to the store I purchased the game and received my refund.
    I am only posting in hopes it may help someone in this case the OP.

Good luck.

I would strongly consider running memtest 86+ if your having crc errors. Also your hard drive could be acting up. Have you ever had times where your computer seems to sit there after you try to do the littlest of tasks?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I have never had any errors on this computer outside of what i described during my time in STO.

I will try memtest 86+ as you suggest to be sure there is nothing else wrong.
    I am running vista ultimate 64, and occasionally I see the hard drive spinning for no reason at all...
    I always thought that was related to Vista though..
    I also have 4 GB of ram with a core 2 duo (e6400 2.13) and the system seems stable.
    if i find an error after memtest i will let ya know.

Thanks
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Found a version of memtest that runs in windows mode without rebooting.
    ran 2 checks at the same time, after ~15 mins no errors on either check.

I appreciate the info though :)
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    THeBaka wrote:

GPUz

SpeedFan

I think the screenshot link in my first post shows the real time temperatures of my whole system.
    At it's highest, the graphics card hit 82C.

I ran in windowed mode at those temperatures for 4 hours without a single crash.

Is 82C too high? If so, how can I cool it further? I already have 6 fans in the case...

I played for 3 hours last night after running "/maxfps 60".
    I crashed once, but it wasn't a reboot. STO just locked up. I was able to close it and run it again.

I'm starting to suspect the game coding rather than my hardware now...
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Oh, is there an application I can download that'll just stress test the graphics card?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    For those of you having problems, try this:

Open the launcher

Click options

Put this: -perframesleep 10

in the advanced command line.

My PC went from artifacting and rebooting to playing non stop for 6 hours at a time.

I run dual 4890 video cards, and this one command line fixed all of my problems.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Scarlanah wrote:

i am 100% it is not my system..

I have only just started having the same problem. It's only after a patch, and after a reboot the game runs just fine.

I think it might be the firewall program permissions. Pre-patching it is authorised, it remains authorised even after patching but zonealarm notes the program change. After a reboot, I have to re-authorise it again.

It might not be this, but it's the most plausible thing I've found so far.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Oh, is there an application I can download that'll just stress test the graphics card?

Plenty. I recommend FurBench to really give it a workout.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Posted from Cryptic site directly:

Question: I like to over clock my system. (GPU, CPU, and Memory)Will I run into any issues playing Star Trek Online if I do this?

Answer: We do not support over clocked systems as they can produce unexpected and un-reproducible issues. The only support we offer is factory over clocked GPU’s. If you are experiencing odd performance or graphical glitches and your system is over clocked, please revert your hardware back to its factory default settings.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Hey m8, if u have alook under system options on windows and turn off "Automatically restart on Error" a blue screen should come up with an error code.

Tho when i had this problem it was the GFx overheating. To combat I used to turn the the frequencies of the memory and core clocks down that made the games more stable but they still restarted eventually. Turned out it was a faulty fan on the gfx card.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    To reply to above: my comp is overclocked from 2.2g to 3.1 with no problems running STO at all.