test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Launcher countdown

Comments

• elandarkskyelandarksky Member Posts: 1,013 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Could be a romulan/borg featured episode

(this based off that wierd one off day where they had a special attack on drozana station on tribble server during a patch)
    [Combat (Self)] Your Bite deals 2378 (1475) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother.
  • thebumblethebumble Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2013
    My speculation?

Even more grinding. Then they'll add Raids to make it even more WoW-like.
  • duaths1duaths1 Member Posts: 1,232 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    you know what?

who needs Romulans?!?

Or Cardassians?

Or Ferengi?

Or Star Trek?

There are thousands of games out there, with funny mechanics waiting to be broken..

if cryptic is about to tease us to oblivion and NOT delivering a grindable faction in may, i may change the wallpaper for a couple of months, cause it IS getting ridiculous in here
  • amatsu287amatsu287 Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Has no one actually LOOKED at the screen they posted? I see 2 maybe 3 new Romulan ships in this picture. That tells me its a faction to some extent. To add even 2 new ships to an NPC only faction that already has the needed ships classes, just for a FE is a waste of their time and money.
  • arcademasterarcademaster Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    amatsu287 wrote: »
    Has no one actually LOOKED at the screen they posted? I see 2 maybe 3 new Romulan ships in this picture. That tells me its a faction to some extent. To add even 2 new ships to an NPC only faction that already has the needed ships classes, just for a FE is a waste of their time and money.

Don't start bringing logic into this, this is the STO forum!
  • amatsu287amatsu287 Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Don't start bringing logic into this, this is the STO forum!

....lol.....
  • blevokblevok Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    it has to be something more than just a new mission. with how strongly a lot of forum folks feel about a romulan faction, i doubt they would tease with such a romulan looking image if it were anything else. and to be teasing the date when they will start teasing, it's gotta be big.

not that i really care though. i have little interest in romulus if i can't run around the capitol. i likely won't be creating a romulan unless there's a time travel mission that takes me back to the romulan home world.
    Fleet: Stargate-Union
    Pizza: Pepperoni
    Kalek shel'tek!

"Do not make me look foolish by allowing yourself to be murdered" -Lord Yu
  • johnny111971johnny111971 Member Posts: 1,300 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    To be honest, I am not sure. I am somewhat hoping for another playable faction. Although, I don't see it meeting the pipe dream as a "complete faction" on par with the Fed's.

If it is a playable faction... its going to be a mini faction. My thought... Playable race... and Lockbox ships.

Star Trek Online, Now with out the Trek....
  • daskippadaskippa Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Judging by the hopes and dreams expressed as expectations; me thinks there will be much nerd rage incoming.
  • talgeezetalgeeze Member Posts: 196 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Countdown on FR teaser page shows two days less. But not on the DE page.

Mistake ?
  • erraberrab Member Posts: 1,434 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    blevok wrote: »
    it has to be something more than just a new mission. with how strongly a lot of forum folks feel about a romulan faction, i doubt they would tease with such a romulan looking image if it were anything else. and to be teasing the date when they will start teasing, it's gotta be big.

not that i really care though. i have little interest in romulus if i can't run around the capitol. i likely won't be creating a romulan unless there's a time travel mission that takes me back to the romulan home world.

What if the Iconians have technology that allows them to warp space time and they cut a deal with Sela to bring back Romulus has it was before it was destroyed provided that the Romulans serve them till death.

It would explain how a race that is now and endangered species would be able to make such qotes has " Our Shadows will block out the stars"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    daskippa wrote: »
    Judging by the hopes and dreams expressed as expectations; me thinks there will be much nerd rage incoming.

I too will feel bad for the Klingons :eek:
    GwaoHAD.png
  • brigadooombrigadooom Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I'd like Romulan monster play where you buy to play as a Romulan faction with a minimal storyline, with the main fun being PVP against fleet starbases as an absurdly overpowered Scimitar protected by an attendant Romulan fleet, vs combined Starfleet/KDF defending fleet, because the situation is so dire..

...or something Iconian.
    ----
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • brigadooombrigadooom Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    talgeeze wrote: »
    Countdown on FR teaser page shows two days less. But not on the DE page.

Mistake ?

Conspiracy!
    ----
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    As I noted in the news thread, this is a few days after PWE's Q4 shareholder report.

So my guess is that Cryptic is under gag until PWE talks to shareholders about the big picture and this accounts for details.

I remember something back in 2012 where Stahl said we'd want to max out embassies or Romulan rep for the May update.

If it IS "monster play" I wonder if the idea isn't that maxing embassy and rep provides an unlock for a level 50 Romulan alt with a brief tutorial.

That would also explain how they address other future factions.

So we max out relations with a faction and then get to make a high end alt of that faction to "join the cause."
  • thenumber55thenumber55 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    cool a time lord faction
  • warbird001warbird001 Member Posts: 246 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Its a countdown to mass dissapointment and when STO players finally wake up to the fact Cryptic have been stringing them along for months.

Its an April Fools Joke people... Thats all that March Beneath Raptor's Wings was about. You guys are going to be gutted. :D
  • pyryckpyryck Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited March 2013

I was just about to mention there being several new ship models in there... ;)
  • hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    New ships will probably be just NPC ships we'll encounter, as well as placeholders as player ships for a Romulan faction later down the road. You know, when Cryptic gets it together. :P
  • hohenz0llernhohenz0llern Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    errab wrote: »
    What if the Iconians have technology that allows them to warp space time and they cut a deal with Sela to bring back Romulus has it was before it was destroyed provided that the Romulans serve them till death.

It would explain how a race that is now and endangered species would be able to make such qotes has " Our Shadows will block out the stars"

I did think the glow at the left edge of the mouse over graphic "could" be an Iconian Gateway or some type of "rift"?

Regardless of what it is, I did like seeing several types of Romulan ships represented.

I would be satisfied with a limited KDF-esque faction. Lockbox ships are off the table per Dev's comments in the past; with regard to Romulans. I love playing my KDF guy, still. He is neck and neck with my Fed as "main" and was played primarily until I got my Temporal Fed goodies.

I only think of "faction" or "playable" due to the sheer amount of hype and some dev comments associated with this as "bigger than a season".

EDIT: I will say I did not like the FedEx type questing on New Romulus and sharing of spawns and so forth. Was far to much like WoW or other Fantasy MMOs. This is Star Trek. I am here for white-knuckle Space Combat...and to a lesser extend some ground assaults. The Bajor method was tolerable. The New Romulus was too, too wow-esque. If you want that...probably should go play wow. I grudgingly did the quests to get the transporter pad locations so I could easily get to the instances I needed to do the Romulan Rep cap off quests and associated rewards. I did enjoy the rep system and its abilities.

TLDR; I love Romulans (despite my icon...love Cardassians too) regardless of how much Romulan we get.
    "...but let's just forget about all of that. Let's have a cup of tea, Mr. Hurst." -- Morty
  • oldkhemaraaoldkhemaraa Member Posts: 1,039 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I didn't think of this, but I am expanding on it..

Credit where its due.. user "nierion" on these forums..even if he didn't go for it..

Someone mentioned further development of new romular and ambassy rep.

Compare: Omega rep. Gained from Borg STF's, and Defera invasion.

Romulas/embassy rep. Gained from new romulas missions and special missions in the surrounding space.. What does one have that the other doesnt?

Omega.. Patrol mission in surrounding space.

Romulan... Special Task Force Missions!!!!!

So What if "Under the Raptors Wings" is a Series of STF's to for new romulas / embassy rep?

Hummmmmmm! In ter rest ink!

P.S. and editted in..: This in conjunction with what the KDF faction may have added to it to bring it much closer to up to speed certainly would qualify as more then just a season. There was the idea of Romulan themed STF's on these forums long long ago. It was never stated that it was a "No can do"

For that matter, we could eventually have mirror universe STF's too.
    "I aim to misbehave" - Malcolm Reynolds
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I did think the glow at the left edge of the mouse over graphic "could" be an Iconian Gateway or some type of "rift"?

Regardless of what it is, I did like seeing several types of Romulan ships represented.

I would be satisfied with a limited KDF-esque faction. Lockbox ships are off the table per Dev's comments in the past; with regard to Romulans. I love playing my KDF guy, still. He is neck and neck with my Fed as "main" and was played primarily until I got my Temporal Fed goodies.

I only think of "faction" or "playable" due to the sheer amount of hype and some dev comments associated with this as "bigger than a season".

TLDR; I love Romulans (despite my icon...love Cardassians too) regardless of how much Romulan we get.
    Same here, this sort of ad campaign is something new.

Hmm, anyone else notice an outline similar to the raptor logo behind the green glow?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • arcademasterarcademaster Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013

So What if "Under the Raptors Wings" is a Series of STF's to for new romulas / embassy rep?

I would always love new STFs, but it's doubtful (at least it won't be THE main feature, they might slip a new STF or two in there as a side dish). It clashes with their statements so far. The May update will be about story and STFs aren't.
  • diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013

It might be a step towards a faction which would be delivered in a year or two. You know, slowly building assets over time... :)
    Lenny Barre, lvl 60 DC. 18k.
    God, lvl 60 CW. 17k.
  • walshicuswalshicus Member Posts: 1,314 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I would always love new STFs, but it's doubtful (at least it won't be THE main feature, they might slip a new STF or two in there as a side dish). It clashes with their statements so far. The May update will be about story and STFs aren't.

Plus, we keep hearing about how May will resolve the faction discussion and how the character creation is being revamped...
    http://mmo-economics.com - analysing the economic interactions in MMOs.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    diogene0 wrote: »
    It might be a step towards a faction which would be delivered in a year or two. You know, slowly building assets over time... :)
    Well, when did they actually START working on a Romulan Faction? Maybe it was last year that they started?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • sander233sander233 Member Posts: 3,992 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    All of the Tal Shiar have been replaced by Undine, the Iconians answer to Q, and the half-exploded Narada returns from JJverse.
    16d89073-5444-45ad-9053-45434ac9498f.png~original

...Oh, baby, you know, I've really got to leave you / Oh, I can hear it callin 'me / I said don't you hear it callin' me the way it used to do?...
    - Anne Bredon
  • pyryckpyryck Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited March 2013

But STFs ARE about story, it's just the game play mechanics that are made more challenging than your average missions.
  • tsurutafan01tsurutafan01 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    For an update to be anywhere near as big as they are claiming they will have to be adding some of each. Which would be a reasonable assumption with a new season anyway.

"We are smart." - Grebnedlog

Member of Alliance Central Command/boq botlhra'ghom
  • crusader2007crusader2007 Member Posts: 1,883 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Either they are excited at about:

1) New Faction countdown
    2) Upcoming SPRING on March 21st

Pick your choice :D
    DUwNP.gif