test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Update on Fleet Marks and Dilithium

Comments

• danielpenfolddanielpenfold Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    It can all way's change when they have time. But if it does not change it does not matter.
    I'm so happy :D
  • rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    EDIT: you must have missed my post: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...81#post8119281 -Brandon

sorry Branflakes, I didn't miss that post.

It was, what, 1254 on the thread?

And all you essentially said is, if we feel there's something worth changing we'll tell you later. Oh, and keep to the TOS.

While I'm right behind the latter, you didn't really say anything in the former.

I know you're the messenger but I also know that one function of the messenger is to be the front man.

Post number 1254 isn't really staying in front.......respectfully it's more like being one of the Keystone cops who keep falling off the back of the police car.

Neither did you say something truly important.

You (indeed, no-one from Cryptic) have not yet acknowledged the sheer depth of animosity that has been generated by this ill-considered decision.

It was a bad decision, poorly executed.

Even if there is no fix ready to launch, acknowledging that an error was made....or even acknowledging the anger generated by it......would be a good thing. Indeed, it would be the right thing.
  • gr4v1t4rgr4v1t4r Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    It can all way's change when they have time. But if it does not change it does not matter.

Ehm...I *may* have had to much wine, but I'm confused about what point you're trying to make:)
    Lost and Delirious... and Disenchanted too
    Apparently some forum posters have diplomatic immunity nowadays, where can I get mine?
    askray wrote: »
    Expressing my opinion isn't trolling but nice try. Besides, if I was you wouldn't know it ;P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • noknagusnoknagus Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    rinkster wrote: »
    So, after taking a quick gander at Branflakes twitter feed, the following rather leapt out at me.....

"dStahl created the thread, so if he has more updates, he'll post. Until then, we're reading it and considering feedback"

So, is it fair to assume from dStahl's deafening silence in response to one of the quickest growing, biggest threads ever, is that he has nothing to say?

That all that has been said here does not sway his mind in the slightest?

That, effectively, he simply doesn't care what the vast majority of posters here think?

Oh, and one other thing.....

In response to being asked why the long silence from Cryptic, simply no acknowledgement whatsoever of the depth of feeling on this issue, Branflakes wrote..

"It would only enrage players more. we'll reply if we have an update to share"

Sorry, Branflakes, but thats terrible public relations. You implicitally acknowledge that the majority of players are enraged. That is true. However, remaining silent doesn't help in the slightest. Indeed it reinforces the notion that Cryptic are simply, wilfully, ignoring the players.
    We are already enraged......someone at Cryptic needs to show the intestinal fortitude required and get in front of this issue. Hiding behind silence, a silence that reinforces our worst fears, is.......well, I don't want to break TOS, but the lion in Wizard of Oz was searching for what you need to demonstrate now.

EDIT: you must have missed my post: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=8119281#post8119281 -Brandon

Definitely agree... someone should be speaking up... sooner rather than later.
  • adendisadendis Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    The sad fact is all of these changes to make the game less fun and more a long grind designed to make money aren't at all surprising due to one simple thing. Cryptic is owned by Perfect World Entertainment.

I had originally allowed myself a slim hope that maybe, just maybe STO might be different, after all its a huge IP and perhaps Cryptic might retain some autonomy. Sadly with each patch it moves closer and closer to the playstyle of PWE's other games and I can all but watch as the fun is sucked out of the game, replaced by systems designed not by gamers but by businessmen with psychology degrees.

Removing things like the wrapper mission in the foundry and nerfing the rewards is shortsighted. Your trying to stop the symptoms of a big problem instead of tackling the issue behind why people felt the need to use these things in the first place.

Most companies who survive through a community (ie MMOS) try to learn from their mistakes and keep that community happy. Its obvious now that isn't the case here, especially since you actually have to admit you made a mistake before you can learn from it.

Guess its time to start going through that backlog of other games I have sitting here waiting.
  • lordagamemnonb5lordagamemnonb5 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies . ~BranFlakes
    How the Devs see Star Trek, apparently:
    Star Trek: The Original Grind
    Star Trek: The Next Grind
    Star Trek: Deep Space Grind
    Star Trek: Voyage to the Grind
  • pwecangetlostpwecangetlost Member Posts: 538 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Thanks for clarifying the position and the thought process. I thought it strange right from the start that the foundry was giving fleet marks at all due to their very definition.

Personally, I think ALL team-based by design, ie. STFs, fleet events, etc. should have fleet marks attached to them, to a greater or lesser extent. For example, the fleet blockade missions offer a significant number, whereas STFs give a small, token amount.

I do however agree with the previous poster that this is not addressing the fundamental issue that the game has increasingly been becoming a grind, rather than the story and fun focussed experience that a star trek game should be.
  • born2bwild1born2bwild1 Member Posts: 1,329 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    EDIT: you must have missed my post: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...81#post8119281 -Brandon

And all you essentially said is, if we feel there's something worth changing we'll tell you later. Oh, and keep to the TOS.

While I'm right behind the latter, you didn't really say anything in the former.

I know you're the messenger but I also know that one function of the messenger is to be the front man.

Post number 1254 isn't really staying in front.......respectfully it's more like being one of the Keystone cops who keep falling off the back of the police car.

You (indeed, no-one from Cryptic) have not yet acknowledged the sheer depth of animosity that has been generated by this ill-considered decision.

Even if there is no fix ready to launch, acknowledging that an error was made....or even acknowledging the anger generated by it......would be a good thing. Indeed, it would be the right thing.

Look Brandon does his job(and as I found out - quickly) His job is to pass out info if he has any to give and to make sure that we follow the forum rules - THAT"S IT!

By my count he's been on this for 12 hours today and I am sure he is getting tired. There should be no more posts critizing him. I am myself going to lay low for awhile as not to stick my foot in my mouth for a bit:eek:

EDIT: That's only part of it, actually :) From a recent interview:

As STO's Community Manager, my days find me acting as a bridge of information between the development team at Cryptic Studios, the publishing team at Perfect World, and the players. I'm the Web Content Manager for our website and social media outlets (Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, etc.); I produce, edit and publish all news posts and blogs that go on the site (of course, the blogs that are written by said Devs are written by them); I capture and create most of the screenshots and some of the wallpapers you see on the site; I participate in and oversee our forums; I gather community feedback and share it through my reports to, and meetings with, the Devs; I create and run our Community events (in-game, forum, Foundry, etc.); I work with PR to schedule developer interviews and generate Press Releases; I am working on special projects that are on the publisher side (PWE), like the Foundry Spotlight, Referral Program and Facebook Connect; I work with our design team to create the Launcher Ads, as well as the art you see in the Web C-Store; I work closely with StarTrek.com to promote STO and post guest blogs; I work with the community to bring ideas and initiatives to fruition (e.g. PvP Boot Camp, the return of the Spotlight on the Foundry, an upcoming RP program, etc.); and much, much more.

-Brandon
  • brucebleobrucebleo Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Hey MR BRANFLAKES

Seeing as you are reading EVERY post here (your words I think)

*unrolls a parchment of notes*

1) (on topic) PLEASE don't hate on us small fleets.....some of us players do NOT like the politics that goes along with running LARGE uber fleets......Me and my fleet mate LOVE not having to answer to recruits as to how we run our fleets.....don't penalise us for that...give us SOME method of being able to obtain starbase upgrades if you can. Foundry fleetmarks was just that.

2) PLEASE allow us to board and take over enemy ships.....this could be done by having these boarded ships converted into combat pets for RA's and VA's yah know....what with them being admirals and all.....it would also bring a collect em all type vibe for extending in game fun. You could even have these pets be bound devices or something. do this and I would consider an lts if ever it was possible to board and aquire enemy ships...

3) tbh I can't think of anything else atm.....as it's 1am in the morning....but give me time and I could prob get back with a much longer list.....
  • species4228species4228 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    After reading much of this, it's clear from here and zone chat and outside web site posts that something needs to give here.

Ideally, nothing should have changed until there was a fix in place and should have at least been tested for reaction. Many would have been upset with any change but I'm at least open to having those 50 FM put elsewhere with the same ease of obtaining them. What is not acceptable is telling your playerbase to wait three months and then will give you the option... btw... in 3 months we will have another holding to work on.
  • stirling191stirling191 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    CONGRATULATIONS EVERYONE!!!

This is the 11th most commented thread in this entire sub-forum with over 1300 posts - all the threads with more posts are now archived so this particular issue has received more feedback and attention than:

a) The Omega Rep System

b) The 1000-day Veteran debacle

c) The announcement of the winner of the design the Ent-F competition

d) The news post announcing STO's intention to go F2P :D

Keep it going and keep it constructive!!

Oh we're going for 2000...
  • smokeybacon90smokeybacon90 Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies . ~syberghost
    EnYn9p9.jpg
  • kyuui13kyuui13 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Eh here's what I know Cryptic.

You made the Foundry.
    You made the Foundry make similar missions to your own
    You made the Foundry have rewards
    You made the foundry have timid mobs
    You made the foundry IOR a 30 minute repeatable mission with Killer rewards, in fact, better than almost anything else in the game.

All of this, was you. Not us. We used it. We made missions like your infamous Scan 5 kill 5, click 5 missions that are all OVER the explore zones. I can do the space scan five, in under 5 minutes, Normally the ground scan five in about 10 and the touch five consoles in the same (I tended to also gather anoms.) the longest is the killing, at most, 15.

you blame us.

No, you made it, you made it exploitable. Not us. We, just used it to get to the things we wanted, using YOUR missions as a guide. Don't like it? Don't make the missions in the first place that set such a low bar for acceptable. I personally think that if it is similar to a mission you made, you have no choice but to allow it. Anything less is hypocritical.

I would suggest to you, that if you consider things like BRR to be "bad" missions then you remove any and all missions YOU made as well. After all if we can't make them, neither should you.

I would also suggest you rethink how you use your "metrics" Because currently, "you're doing it wrong"
    Next time you log in, ask yourself this.
    dastahl wrote: »
    If you can't have fun, then what is the point?
  • idronaidrona Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    *Just ran out of popcorn.* :(
    signwidrona.png
  • rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Look Brandon does his job(and as I found out - quickly) His job is to pass out info if he has any to give and to make sure that we follow the forum rules - THAT"S IT!

:

Respectfully there is one more function.

He's the junction between us and the developers. The liaison, if you will.

I am quite sure he's been doing his very best, of that i have no doubt.

However, for whatever reason, this issue needs more firepower than Branflakes (solely by virtue of the position, not the man) can bring to bear.

What I would like, and I'm fairly sure I'm not alone, is an acknowledgment that this issue has gone way beyond anything the Community Manager can, indeed, should, handle.

This is, basically, between the community and dStahl. While dStahl hides behind Branflakes, things are going to get worse.

This whole issue is, at its heart, about the relationship between the community and the developers now. Quite frankly, a large number (too large for comforts sake) feel betrayed.

I appreciate that Branflakes can't do too much about that, but I'd like to know that he isn't just passing posts along. I'd like to know that he is also passing on how that sense of betrayal is building up.
  • icerider1963icerider1963 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    After reading much of this, it's clear from here and zone chat and outside web site posts that something needs to give here.

Ideally, nothing should have changed until there was a fix in place and should have at least been tested for reaction. Many would have been upset with any change but I'm at least open to having those 50 FM put elsewhere with the same ease of obtaining them. What is not acceptable is telling your playerbase to wait three months and then will give you the option... btw... in 3 months we will have another holding to work on.

Glad you brought that up. This whole thing seems to me to be a flat out stall on advancement till they can raise lvlv cap to 60 and then raise fleet holdings, "gotta keep that carrot out of reach or the paydays gonna stall" or words to that effect went on in pwes boardroom.
  • nova2284nova2284 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztVMib1T4T4

Sorry, couldn't help it. It wasn't until Page 130 something that we even got a response (which really turned out to be a non-response). That speakes volumes.

Moving form topic to topic... Limit the marks form foundry daily MAKE MAKE MAKE IT SO!!!!
    :eek: TURN volume up on this make them hear us!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tis7imsZyhE
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    DELTA RISING FIXS THERE NEVER COMING WHY I'M I WASTING MY TIME ASKING FOR THEM ???
  • nierionnierion Member Posts: 326 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    With the way things seem to be going lately with this game I wouldn't be surprised if some kind of petition gets started to give us the service we deserve. Unless it's already been started.......

Let's hope they get their act in gear and work on delivering a game that truly defines the meaning of Trek and something we can enjoy & have fun!
    api.php?action=streamfile&path=%2F187011%2FFleet%20Files%2FMember%20Signatures%2FNierion.png&u=146876
  • weylandjuarezweylandjuarez Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Oh we're going for 2000...

I'm going to hold you to that lol! :)
    nierion wrote: »
    With the way things seem to be going lately with this game I wouldn't be surprised if some kind of petition gets started to give us the service we deserve. Unless it's already been started.......

Let's hope they get their act in gear and work on delivering a game that truly defines the meaning of Trek and something we can enjoy & have fun!

The KDF have already begun!! See my sig for more details :)
    Please join our peaceful protest to help make STO a better game
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Proudly not contributing to PWE's bottom-line since October 2012
  • nova2284nova2284 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    No way 2000... not likey :D
    kyuui13 wrote: »
    Eh here's what I know Cryptic.

You made the Foundry.
    You made the Foundry make similar missions to your own
    You made the Foundry have rewards
    You made the foundry have timid mobs
    You made the foundry IOR a 30 minute repeatable mission with Killer rewards, in fact, better than almost anything else in the game.

All of this, was you. Not us. We used it. We made missions like your infamous Scan 5 kill 5, click 5 missions that are all OVER the explore zones. I can do the space scan five, in under 5 minutes, Normally the ground scan five in about 10 and the touch five consoles in the same (I tended to also gather anoms.) the longest is the killing, at most, 15.

you blame us.

No, you made it, you made it exploitable. Not us. We, just used it to get to the things we wanted, using YOUR missions as a guide. Don't like it? Don't make the missions in the first place that set such a low bar for acceptable. I personally think that if it is similar to a mission you made, you have no choice but to allow it. Anything less is hypocritical.

I would suggest to you, that if you consider things like BRR to be "bad" missions then you remove any and all missions YOU made as well. After all if we can't make them, neither should you.

I would also suggest you rethink how you use your "metrics" Because currently, "you're doing it wrong"

4 Words " They Never Test Stuff !"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tis7imsZyhE
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    DELTA RISING FIXS THERE NEVER COMING WHY I'M I WASTING MY TIME ASKING FOR THEM ???
    edited February 2013
    nova2284 wrote: »

In truth, it doesn't matter - this topic has already created a bigger backlash than the Dilithium nerfs to STFs at the beginning of Season 7 - something has to be done and I suspect Dan's considering his options before taking steps to address this.

No reason to stop posting though - and as I mention in my post on the KDF forum the Fleet Marks issue is just a symptom of a growing concern amongst the players as to the direction this game is headed in.

We need more transparency and dialogue with Dan and/or the Devs because obviously the 'metrics' aren't working out to well for them.

Or to quote D'Tan "Deals done in the dark seldom end well" :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • thebumblethebumble Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2013
    themarie wrote: »
    ...That way there is some oversight and review for missions. The ones that pass muster (Review by Das Overflake or whoever ;) ) issue fleet-marks and other "bonuses" as seen fit by whatever power reviews missions.

You really want to get someone constantly trolled and flamed don't you.

That would be a thankless job, and I'd want to keep my name as far away from it as I possibly could...
  • nierionnierion Member Posts: 326 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I'm going to hold you to that lol! :)

The KDF have already begun!! See my sig for more details :)

Awesome! To quote a favorite film of mine, "Never give up, never surrender!" lol

Also I have to agree, it's not just the FM that are an issue. There are many aspects of the game that still need to be improved and things that were changed, that really didn't need changing at all.
    api.php?action=streamfile&path=%2F187011%2FFleet%20Files%2FMember%20Signatures%2FNierion.png&u=146876
  • stirling191stirling191 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    nova2284 wrote: »

We're asking for a company that's sole priority is making money, typically at the expense of their playerbase, to grow a brain and actually prioritize fun over profits. Lost causes are already on the target list.
  • gr4v1t4rgr4v1t4r Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013

Let's be honest, this is about far more then just the IOR. Tensions have been high since about halfway S6 when it became clear that bugs weren't getting fixed, requirements wouldn't be lowered etc. What we see here is what happens when you have a community that's on edge. The smallest additional affront just make thing's boil over. Or maybe a flash over would be a better analogy. This is just like when they took out the STF rewards. By this change they didn't just take away an easy source of fleetmarks, they effectively force us to get them elsewhere. In other words, we are being forced to do things we don't want to do and they take longer then the IOR did too. Our fun just got diminished, and because it takes longer we have less time for things we *do* enjoy. Look at the STF rewards, things stayed unruly untill the item drops where restored. Simply because getting an item, or having the chance to get one, is fun . I never understood why the reputation system had to replace the old system. Those unlucky few who didn't get their tech drops would have had the guarantee of being able to get them, and the rest of us could enjoy looking forward to the lootbag at the end. The dev's keep thinking all we care about is dilithium and fleetmarks, etc. but we don't. If they ever introduce new drop-only gear that can be collected by doing missions with an STF structure, I would play them all day long regardless of them rewarding marks of any kind or dilithium. There no longer are real achievements in this game, it's all about endurance and perseverence now. It isn't rewarding to play this game anymore. All the stuff is either buyable for zen/dilithium, or EC(which effectively is also buyable by zen or dilithium). Sure, you need some marks, running some elites will get you those quick enough. Or I guess grinding down eppohs if you need RM's.

This game as it stands now, has become a grindfest. Now, that in itself isn't that big of a deal. The problem is that a lot of us are not mmo fans or whatever, we are here because of Star Trek. That means that this game has incredible potential, with loyal fans. However, it also means they can't treat us like mmo fans who like to grind all day. Most of us love the IP to much to just walk away, so we will put up with it for a while....But sooner or later, we will reach a breaking point, where even the most loyal Star Trek fan refuses to put up with this any longer. That would mean the end of this game, because aside from the IP this game has nothing to offer. There are several mmo's out there, that from a gameplay perspective are far better developed, there are several that are more fun, etc.

Basicly they have the goose laying golden egg's here, only they keep pushing the goose for more egg's. Hell, they are close to taking a chokehold on the goose and shake it for more golden egg's. At the short term that might work, and the goose will lay some additional golden egg's, but then it will die. Keeping the goose happy and entertained might produce a few daily egg's less, but the goose will lay those egg's for years and years to come.

Stop trying to force the community to spend money, if you present us with enjoyable content, gameplay, bugfixes, fun items, etc. we will gladly give it to you!!!
    Lost and Delirious... and Disenchanted too
    Apparently some forum posters have diplomatic immunity nowadays, where can I get mine?
    askray wrote: »
    Expressing my opinion isn't trolling but nice try. Besides, if I was you wouldn't know it ;P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • admgreeradmgreer Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Extremely simple solution to several issues: I have Finished the Rep system and Purschased all the Gear sets ect. I have no need to go to New romulas, Tau Dewa, Raise Epoh's do SFT's. The only thing I can do with Omega and Romulan Marks is convert to Dil. How about let me convert them to FM. Then players like me are back doing mini missions on New Romulas, Back raising Ephoh's, Back doing Tau Dewa Daily missions. Beacuse once players finish the Rep system and buy the gear they want all that work the Dev's did creating New Romulas is for naught beacuse players will have no reason to go there. So allow me to convert OM and RM to FM and I will be back on New Romulas scanning raidation, spraying bugs and taking water samples again and fighting the Borg Queen.
    edited February 2013
    gr4v1t4r wrote: »
    Let's be honest, *snip*

Hated to snip that because it's so true and I agree with all of it 100%, but this:
    gr4v1t4r wrote: »
    Stop trying to force the community to spend money, if you present us with enjoyable content, gameplay, bugfixes, fun items, etc. we will gladly give it to you!!!

I agree with 1000% :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • oldlordskull73oldlordskull73 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Let's stop for a second here, folks. They have heard the community...Branflakes has acknowledged that. Continuing to rail against them will not help our position.

What we need to do, as a united playerbase, is to CONSTRUCTIVELY COLLABORATE with some ideas that we the players can live with, and that the devs can live with as well.

We have an opportunity to put our minds together, come up with ideas that would allow us to get the rewards, materials, marks, etc. that we want and NEED....and be able to present said ideas to the devs instead of continuing to shout at them endlessly.

Because let's face it....nobody likes to be yelled at or berated. Their decisions aside and our feelings toward that...right or wrong....the hostilities will get this thread shut down and NOTHING will come of it. We're mad....they KNOW IT.

Let's turn this thread into working towards SOLUTIONS instead of the angry mob with pitchforks and torches approach. We unite, collaborate, come up with ideas that will be acceptable to both sides.

Hell...a guy can hope, right?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • fourxgamerfourxgamer Member Posts: 245 Arc User
    edited February 2013
  • captainoblivouscaptainoblivous Member Posts: 2,284 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    As ever, ann (gr4v1t4r) speaks the truth.

I do wish she'd remember where she got that golden egg laying goose analogy from though :P

I think we should put together a list of changes that we think NEED to be made and changes that we would LIKE to see made.

EDIT

btw oldlordskull73, the few replies we have received so far have more or less been non-replies. You're quite right that things should be constructive mind you.
    I need a beer.

This discussion has been closed.