test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Cryptic should give up...

Comments

• psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    There's nothing that can directly link the game and the movie.

Doesn't the destruction of Romulus count?

And I think user839020189287 meant was that the Abrams movies would create more Trek fans, who would then get interested in the prime Trek productions. I see it happen on ST.com all the time.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • user839020189287user839020189287 Member Posts: 291 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    You mean Star Trek Into Darkness?

The JJ Abrams movie?

There are some problems with pinning any hopes to that.

1- The playerbase here loves to bash the movies. And Abrams. Lots of Abrams bashing.
    2- CBS does not own the movie rights. Paramount does. This is very important because ...
    3- Cryptic can't do anything with the movie stufff. Nor have they been able to negotiate any licensing with the movie stuff.
    4- CBS took great strides to keep their licensing stuff very strict with Cryptic and keep the movie/paramount's licensing far away from this game.

Remember the last movie came out while this game was getting close to launch. And did next to nothing to help boost this game directly. It was all indirect because yeah, they both have the name Star Trek involved in the title. And yes, that will have an effect this time too. But that's it. There's nothing that can directly link the game and the movie.

Paramount. Everyone forgets about Paramount.

You post but don't read the forums? There have been posters who came to STO due to JJTrek, myself included.

Irregardless of JJ making the movie, it will draw new blood here even if you disagree. Movie launches and MMOs based on the same IP work. Synergy. Usually timed to work together.

1. JJ bashing will not stop new people from checking out the free 2 play game.

2. Yes, CBS owns the rights and that has no bearing on the point I made about new people checking out the free 2 play game.

3. Explain the red matter console which was in JJTrek and why was it a pre-order item for STO. Why was JJSpock doing VO work in STO? Naw, the movie stuff doesn't make it into STO like you said.

4. CBS is very specific what makes it into the game, We all know this and DStahl says it all the time. Like this is new to anyone reading this? Unless they are new to the free 2 play game... of which I am not.

The last movie which was named Star Trek? See #3.

Paramount owns the movie rights but not the IP rights. Again, a known fact by all, including myself.

I still stand by the quoted comment.
    The IP is about to get popular again.

This IP is about to get popular again as many people will go see the movie. Cryptic is advertising STO on MMORPG.com and the main Star Trek website. Movie goers can and will connect the dots. Would be smart to drop a promo for the game during the movie's run. Adverts, stuff like that.

There is no way Cryptic is gonna sit quiet and say nothing to promote STO while the new Star Trek movie launches and puts the limelight on the IP as a whole.

Guess you just like to argue or something.
    "Dammit J'mpok! I'm a Warrior, not a Worrier!"

- KDF Ambassador Syon vocalizing her objection to the discussions of possible peace talks with the UFP due to recent Borg and Undine activities.
    Hegh'bat, Stardate 66588.8
  • linyivelinyive Member Posts: 1,086 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    This IP is about to get popular again as many people will go see the movie.
    Subjective. As someone who has been a "Star Trek" fan for thirty years, I have seen many games fail regardless of a movie release. Second, "Star Trek: Into Darkness" already has a direct tie-in game, which is scheduled to be released in the first quarter. April 23, 2013.
  • snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    1. JJ bashing will not stop new people from checking out the free 2 play game.

When they get here and see all the JJ bashing, for a movie that may be a movie they totally dug, they can get turned off from the game. I've seen it happen in the many years I've posted and read the forums.

What happens is you get a fanbase that likes the new stuff. And they play this game, which hates what they like and a development team that launches a two-pronged attack of fail against what they like ...

1- They are unable to offer the players anything related to the new movies that they like. Due to licensing restrictions.
    2- The dev team themselves tend to like the 1980s era movies, and TNG more than anything linked to the Kirk era. As seen by stuff like the Excelsior and Ambassador being top tier ships. But anything actually linked to Kirk gets lost at the lower tiers.

So many people who like Kirk, his crew, and the new JJ take on it, get pummeled into frustration on these forums. And the game itself offers them a new Jem'Hadar ship as a lotto lockbox long before it will offer them anything Kirk-centric.
    3. Explain the red matter console which was in JJTrek and why was it a pre-order item for STO.

The Red Matter Capacitor does what in the game? Red Matter in the Star Trek movie did what? The only thing in common between them is the phrase "red matter."

Why was JJSpock doing VO work in STO?

Zachary Quinto as the Emergency Medical Hologram? What? Or do you mean Nimoy doing the introduction to the game and the sector descriptions?

4. CBS is very specific what makes it into the game, We all know this and DStahl says it all the time. Like this is new to anyone reading this? Unless they are new to the free 2 play game... of which I am not.

And Paramount owns the JJ Trek. Not CBS. Paramount. They are not CBS. The JJ Trek has its own video game.

This IP is about to get popular again as many people will go see the movie. Cryptic is advertising STO on MMORPG.com and the main Star Trek website. Movie goers can and will connect the dots.

They go see a movie, and then come play a game that is nothing like the movie they liked, with a playerbase that bashes the movie they liked, and filled with items and ships and stories that continually, due to licensing issues or dev team preference, hinge on an era that is nowhere near the Kirk era of the movie.

It's like going to see Star Wars The Empire Strikes Back and then going to play Star Wars: The Old Republic. Except at least there, the playerbase will not bash Episode V, and the dev team keeps pushing items into the game that remind you of Episode V be it a lightsaber or the cartel market outfit that looks reminiscent of Han Solo's.

This game though, won't cater to people who like the JJ Abrams Kir or Kirk's enterprise.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2013
    1. People come to play a game. Not play a sensitive fanboy unlike others. Most new players will be in the game and not on the forums. Am sure they will understand that most opinions are just that and will not read too much into what others have to say, good or bad, about the movie.

I can't imagine people will quit a game because someone dissed a movie that they may have or may have not liked. Gameplay, bugs, and how the game design relates to the ST universe will be the criteria for staying/ leaving rather than some forum ramblings.

2. Guess that point made it across to you as you did not reference it.

3. Whatever the red matter device's function, it was PRESENT in the movie and MADE it's way into the game so that disproves what you said earlier.

JJSPock's VO was a nod to the movie from the game. Guess you missed that. Quelle suprise!

4. CBS owns the Intellectual Property rights. Paramount owns the movie licensing. Just like how Disney owns Marvel as an IP and Paramount the movie rights. That's ok if you do not understand what IP holders are. Most people really don't.

I never said this game was about to catering to the JJTreker. I just said that the movie will promote interest in all things Star Trek aka make the IP popular again. It has no bearing on how un-JJTrek STO is.

- KDF Ambassador Syon vocalizing her objection to the discussions of possible peace talks with the UFP due to recent Borg and Undine activities.
    edited February 2013
    linyive wrote: »
    Subjective. As someone who has been a "Star Trek" fan for thirty years, I have seen many games fail regardless of a movie release. Second, "Star Trek: Into Darkness" already has a direct tie-in game, which is scheduled to be released in the first quarter. April 23, 2013.

Games fail on their own merits or lack of... and for what they fail to deliver to an expectant playerbase. Bad design, bugs, poor customer service, etc. Like you, I got just as much water under the bridge and have seen every ST movie in theater.

Never said that the new ST movie was going to be tied into STO. That new FPS has that covered, like you said. I saw that news on ST.com just like I see STO there.

The new movie is just going to create new buzz around the IP as a whole. Name branding in other words.

Again, Cryptic would be stupid to not take advantage of a new ST movie and help ride it's coat-tails. Not saying direct movie tie-ins but jumping on social media and internet advertising to help promote the MMO. hashtag star trek just needs to add an "online" in order to do it.

• theillusivenmantheillusivenman Member Posts: 438 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Games fail on their own merits and for what they fail to deliver to an expectant playerbase. Bad design, bugs, poor customer service, etc. Like you, I got just as much water under the bridge and have seen every ST movie in theater.

Never said that the new ST movie was going to be tied into STO. That new FPS has that covered, like you said. I saw that news on ST.com just like I see STO there.

The new movie is just going to create new buzz around the IP as a whole. Name branding in other words.

Again, Cryptic would be stupid to not take advantage of a new ST movie and help ride it's coat-tails. Not saying direct movie tie-ins but jumping on social media and internet advertising to help promote the MMO. hashtag star trek just needs to add an "online" in order to do it.

Like it has been said, the licensing is a big issue, the other obvious issue is it's an alternative reality, the stuff that happens in the 2009 and the new movie simply never happened (or happened differently) in the prime universe. You simply can't intertwine the happenings of the two realities together because some happenings will exclude the other ones since they happen at the same place/time and they were done by the same people.

To put it simple, there wouldn't be any sense of putting JJ stuff in this game because they would either have to be a low-tier specific, and thus, not end-game ships they couldn't price up (even in case if they would bring the ships for example as a form of some alt reality ships/lockboxes et cetera despite the enormous ammount of money they would have to pay for licencing one to another company for the minority of players) or if they'd do them end-game ships a large portion of the players wouldn't like them (plus the fact that wouldn't make sense, a strongest Fed ship in the game an alternative reality connie? cheesy).

So don't get your hopes high of ever seeing anything from JJ-verse coming to this game.
    That does not, of course, exclude that the JJ reality might come in form of another MMO game, but I don't see Cryptic doing it, undercutting the number of their own players they have in a game already just to push them to the other game, specifically because, as far as I know, it has been said many times that the older Star Trek fans are a majority at the moment. (And judging from the fact Federation as a majority of players in this game have lot more content then their minority brothers Klingons, I think it is safe to say Cryptic playes on the majority-card), I don't think Cryptic would loose all it's players to capture a portion of that number catering to the minority.

Just my opinion though.
    5980291nyfcc.png
    "Reality is a thing of the past."
    Proud supporter of equality for all human beings.
    edited February 2013
    Just my opinion though.

Thanks for sharing on the matter!

I was not trying to say Cryptic would add new content based on the new JJTrek movie. Just that it would be a good time to name brand and hook the odd, NEW ST fan into trying out STO.

Most likely, the new film-goers will check out ST.com and see that STO is being talked about there and try out the game.

Kinda like how the last movie got me interested in ST again and was the main reason I pre-ordered STO. Wasn't able to try out beta due to rl stuff but the movie planted a seed, for me. Am sure this might happen for others as well.

edited February 2013
    Thanks for sharing on the matter!

I was not trying to say Cryptic would add new content based on the new JJTrek movie. Just that it would be a good time to name brand and hook the odd, NEW ST fan into trying out STO.

Most likely, the new film-goers will check out ST.com and see that STO is being talked about there and try out the game.

Kinda like how the last movie got me interested in ST again and was the main reason I pre-ordered STO. Wasn't able to try out beta due to rl stuff but the movie planted a seed, for me. Am sure this might happen for others as well.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure peeps will stumble upon STO sooner or later, it's not the most famous MMO, but it's pretty well known, even to MMO players in general, not only to ST fans. The guys have FB/Twitter pages with lots of talking in, so that's moving in new players as well.

I do guess STO could be advertised more, but even at the moment we have a pretty good income of new players, and it's been more or less going strong since the introduction to F2P.
    5980291nyfcc.png
    edited February 2013
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure peeps will stumble upon STO sooner or later, it's not the most famous MMO, but it's pretty well known, even to MMO players in general, not only to ST fans. The guys have FB/Twitter pages with lots of talking in, so that's moving in new players as well.

I do guess STO could be advertised more, but even at the moment we have a pretty good income of new players, and it's been more or less going strong since the introduction to F2P.

Definitely agree!

Throwing a bone in the form of a Game advertisement during the trailers at the movies would almost certainly help guide things along, also.

Not saying that it will happen but that if possible, would be good timing and optimal.

Am foreseeing new blood coming but whether they stay or not is another thing entirely.

edited February 2013
    Definitely agree!

Throwing a bone in the form of a Game advertisement during the trailers at the movies would almost certainly help guide things along, also.

Not saying that it will happen but that if possible, would be good timing and optimal.

Am foreseeing new blood coming but whether they stay or not is another thing entirely.

Definitely it would. But advertisement like that can cost 100s of thousands of dollars though.
    I'm not saying PWE couldn't muster that kind of money, just saying they probably won't, though.
    5980291nyfcc.png
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    So don't get your hopes high of ever seeing anything from JJ-verse coming to this game.
    That does not, of course, exclude that the JJ reality might come in form of another MMO game, but I don't see Cryptic doing it, undercutting the number of their own players they have in a game already just to push them to the other game, specifically because, as far as I know, it has been said many times that the older Star Trek fans are a majority at the moment. (And judging from the fact Federation as a majority of players in this game have lot more content then their minority brothers Klingons, I think it is safe to say Cryptic playes on the majority-card), I don't think Cryptic would loose all it's players to capture a portion of that number catering to the minority.

Just my opinion though.

I actually have my hopes high of never seeing anything form JJ Trek coming to this game. :rolleyes: Cryptic not doing it was one of their smarter moves.

May the force be with our friends SW fans, since I believe that logic & franchise will be long gone. :D

P.S. I believe the new JJ Trek has the potential to bring people to STO if Cryptic promotes the game as it should and I don't expect those people to be driven off the game just because is not JJ Trek. It's a Star Trek MMO, noone can expect to literally re-live the same events and stories from any ST movie.
    HQroeLu.jpg
    edited February 2013
    Definitely it would. But advertisement like that can cost 100s of thousands of dollars though.
    I'm not saying PWE couldn't muster that kind of money, just saying they probably won't, though.

Look how much money gets thrown at 30 second ad spots during the quote-super bowl-unquote... but I totally agree.

Whatever it cost PWE would be chump change but they are probably more focused on making money rather than spending it, like you said.

• mdkoneeightsevenmdkoneeightseven Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    westx211 wrote: »
    Well forgive me for my earlier remark if you managed to read it before branflakes took it down but I have to say that cryptic is doing good.I mean seriously this game was free MMO of the year and I'm sure cryptic does their best so think about that next time you bad mouth them.

well given that sw:tor is now free2play, sto will never win that title ever again.

sorry guys, but coming from a die hard trekkie, this game blows. i left it a year ago, i have two lifetime accounts, and i still can't see any reason to come back.

I don't like how the games been developed, and it's lack thereoff. it's just a little bit repugnant to me that this game is associated with the name of star trek.

goodluck to those of you still here, i'll drop in occassionally to see whats been happening, but i have no expectations that this game will ever be something that i as a trekker could be proud of.

/out
    edited February 2013
    I can't imagine people will quit a game because someone dissed a movie that they may have or may have not liked.

But they have. In droves. For three years. And on these forums it goes beyond people just plain dissing the JJ movie. The hatred of the JJ Trek on these forums is so focused that people who bother to say they liked it and ask for the game to have more aspects of it get buried in vitriol from the rabid anti-Abrams posters.
    3. Whatever the red matter device's function, it was PRESENT in the movie and MADE it's way into the game so that disproves what you said earlier.

There's no Red Matter Capacitor in the movie. There's certainly no "device" in the film that gives a small power systems boost to the ships in the movie. They're not remotely the same thing. All they have in common is the phrase red matter.
    JJSPock's VO was a nod to the movie from the game. Guess you missed that. Quelle suprise!

Zachary Quinto. The Actor who played Spock in the Abrams film provides the voice in this game for ... The Emergency Medical Hologram. Not Spock.

At this point, I'm not really sure you can add much to the conversation other than more confusion.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • nassirisnassiris Member Posts: 111
    edited February 2013
    As everyone knows session 8 is coming up and this is the Developers chance to do right by the KDF. Lets cross our fingers and hope they do the right thing.
  • dougglendowerdougglendower Member Posts: 84 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    well given that sw:tor is now free2play, sto will never win that title ever again.

sorry guys, but coming from a die hard trekkie, this game blows. i left it a year ago, i have two lifetime accounts, and i still can't see any reason to come back.

I don't like how the games been developed, and it's lack thereoff. it's just a little bit repugnant to me that this game is associated with the name of star trek.

goodluck to those of you still here, i'll drop in occassionally to see whats been happening, but i have no expectations that this game will ever be something that i as a trekker could be proud of.

/out

Really? The buggy, bland, kludgy, looks like a five year old game but isn't SWTOR is going to win? With it's inane lockouts and push to subscribing? I'd have put down some credibility if you'd said DDO or, hell, even LotRO for instance, but until SWTOR makes some massive changes, it's DOA.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2013
    But they have. In droves. For three years. And on these forums it goes beyond people just plain dissing the JJ movie. The hatred of the JJ Trek on these forums is so focused that people who bother to say they liked it and ask for the game to have more aspects of it get buried in vitriol from the rabid anti-Abrams posters.

People quit the game not because there's not enough JJTrek in STO and/or had their feelings as a fanboy hurt. People quit because the game failed to meet up to their standards as gamers not canonists or film buffs.
    There's no Red Matter Capacitor in the movie. There's certainly no "device" in the film that gives a small power systems boost to the ships in the movie. They're not remotely the same thing. All they have in common is the phrase red matter.

JJTrek brought up the concept of Red Matter in the first place. It's JJTrek. Nit picking that the Red Matter Capacitor didn't exist in the movie does not really matter. They are related by association from film to game through the subject of Red Matter, itself. Go check your canon and lore sources. Also, the red matter console was from the collector's edition. I had said pre-order earlier and was not specific enough.
    Zachary Quinto. The Actor who played Spock in the Abrams film provides the voice in this game for ... The Emergency Medical Hologram. Not Spock.

Now did I ever say that his voice was for the character Spock? I said JJSpock did VO work. Yeah, I know he was the EMH voice. I played this game from the start, too. STO threw him a bone and it also could be considered an in-house nod/ promotion to associate the ST movie with the STO game. Not directly of course but easy enough to read between the lines.
    At this point, I'm not really sure you can add much to the conversation other than more confusion.

You are arguing like you are going to receive a gold star for the effort so feel free to opine more. As for confusion, Confucius say "Never give a sword to a man who can't dance".

edited February 2013
    People quit the game

There were quite a few people who played this game who were made to feel unwelcome by the forum goers who harped on how everything Kirk and JJ and Enterprise and Archer related was too outdated, too terrible, too filled with lens flares, not Trek enough, etc, etc, etc. Unless you're running around in a Wrath of Khan uniform flying an Excelsior and utilizing your diplomacy reward to get an Orion Slave Girl BOFF, you were made to feel unwelcome in this game's community enough that unless the game itself was really awesome, you questioned why you even bothered.

It goes the other way too. Anything too far ahead of the WoK/Excelsior/Slave Girl benchmark of STO is also made to feel inferior. Like the Enterprise-F's choice of Captain.

Heck it goes another step further. The KDF. They've been made to feel unwelcome. Not part of the larger community. Told by poster after poster, as well as the devs, that they are too small a portion of the fanbase to matter. And lo and behold, three years into this game's development cycle, the KDF has topics like this. And you seem to think that the new JJ movie will bring an infusion of popularity that will change the dev team's resources and opinion regarding the KDF?

I don't see it. JJ fans aren't welcome in STO. Moreso than even KDF fans.

They are related by association from film to game through the subject of Red Matter, itself.

So basically what you're saying is, the only thing they have in common is the phrase Red Matter? Awesome.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2013
    There were quite a few people who played this game who were made to feel unwelcome by the forum goers who harped on how everything Kirk and JJ and Enterprise and Archer related was too outdated, too terrible, too filled with lens flares, not Trek enough, etc, etc, etc. Unless you're running around in a Wrath of Khan uniform flying an Excelsior and utilizing your diplomacy reward to get an Orion Slave Girl BOFF, you were made to feel unwelcome in this game's community enough that unless the game itself was really awesome, you questioned why you even bothered.

It goes the other way too. Anything too far ahead of the WoK/Excelsior/Slave Girl benchmark of STO is also made to feel inferior. Like the Enterprise-F's choice of Captain.

Heck it goes another step further. The KDF. They've been made to feel unwelcome. Not part of the larger community. Told by poster after poster, as well as the devs, that they are too small a portion of the fanbase to matter. And lo and behold, three years into this game's development cycle, the KDF has topics like this. And you seem to think that the new JJ movie will bring an infusion of popularity that will change the dev team's resources and opinion regarding the KDF?

I don't see it. JJ fans aren't welcome in STO. Moreso than even KDF fans.

If people based their decision to play the game or not on the stuff they read on these forums STO wouldn't have a living soul left to play it.
    I don't want to insult anyone and I apologize in advance if I sound like it, because you may know the pople you mentioned have left, but the way I see it - if some knucklehead on the forums can make you unwellcomed enoguh to leave a game you like playing, you have personal issues. Just my 2 cents on it.

I'm going to use my personal example on it - I am a big ENT & Archer fan and as you say even worse, I play mainly KDF. :D By those standards I should be long gone. But, I happen to like STO and noone can make me give up the game I like playing by posting some nonsence on the forums, of which I supose we'll all agree there is more than enough here. :)

On a lighter note, it is true that KDF player base has every right to feel unwellcomed, but the devs. should know by now that Klingon warriors never give up! :D:D
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I don't think they should give up but the interview about the 20 ships being worked on...

More than likely out of the 20 its probally something like this and its only speculation based on people thinking that its going to be a romulan faction.

4 being lockbox
    2 KDF
    6 Fed
    8 Romulan

Just based on they will not stop lock boxes it brings in money for all the other stuff we enjoy coming down their pipeline. Then whatever Fed and KDF(if any) would be mostly kitbashed of the more popular ships (they have to make money off that crowd that says what is the *bestest*). The romulan ones will most likely be a lot of kitbashed ones for level purposes of the bop, mogai, warbird, and scimitar being the romulan star empire was a lot like the KDF as far as viewer and most kitbashed ships. Not to mention there were 2 clearly stated alliances where the Romulans and KDF have what they have today. Before the alliance the KDF lore they didn't have cloaks and the Romulans didn't really have heavy battle cruisers so from both of their tech and wars its not too far off from the truth.
  • age03age03 Member Posts: 1,664 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I don't know about the rest of you but I ma getting tired of fighting the Borg.There has to be other way except defend Defari.

When it comes to Romulans can you acctually trust them?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Age StarTrek-Gamers Administrator
    USS WARRIOR NCC 1720 Commanding Officer
    Star Trek Gamers
    edited February 2013
    age03 wrote: »
    I don't know about the rest of you but I ma getting tired of fighting the Borg.There has to be other way except defend Defari.

Wasn't it J'Mpok that said "The only good Romulan, is a dead Romulan." :)
    5980291nyfcc.png
    edited February 2013

Trust the Romulans? :eek:
    I don't event trust the people who want to play as Romulan! :P :D
    HQroeLu.jpg
    edited February 2013
    Wasn't it J'Mpok that said "The only good Romulan, is a dead Romulan." :)

I think that was Worf or something like that.Klingons stap you in front while Romulans will stap you in the back.
    Star Trek Gamers
    edited February 2013
    Klingons stap you in front while Romulans will stap you in the back.

All while Feddies fap. :D

• warbird001warbird001 Member Posts: 246 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I imagine the D'Deridex will be put away with a price tag because of its popularity as a ship. Dollar signs....
    edited February 2013
    All while Feddies fap. :D
    No Feds don't do that unless you are Picard.
    Star Trek Gamers
    edited February 2013
    No Feds don't do that unless you are Picard.

Thanks for reminding me of their asexual ways!