What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Feedback about 3yr Party Popper and Balloons

Comments

• Options
    tfomegatfomega Member Posts: 812 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    For all the people saying the balloons are causing lag... I disagree.

All you have to do is type /showfps 1 and you will see your framerate at the top right corner of the screen. I tested this last night and did not see any lag from the balloons.. even when everyone in the room was firing them off.

But then again, perhaps my graphics card of 2 years ago can handle it..

ATI Radeon? HD 5570 Sapphire PCIe x16 Gen 2.0 1024

I AM NOT A FAN OF PWE!!!!
    MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2010
  • Options
    tigerhandlertigerhandler Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    My PC is fine that is not the issue. But thanks for the troll.:cool:
  • Options
    agentgreasyagentgreasy Member Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Lols, seems you know my system so well ??? It's a fresh install from yesterday. :rolleyes: There is no much clutter on it.

I hate to say it, but he's right. Just from RAM alone, you shouldn't have any problems. The card added on top of that, you shouldn't have frame rate drops at all. I'm on an AMD A6 integrated card on a laptop, and I don't perform as bad as the way you're describing. Clutter may not be the problem, but something is the problem and its not STO. The graphics on STO haven't changed much from launch - they've improved but not in overall demand to hardware requirements. You are well beyond them with that machine.

That being said, some cards don't handle certain post-processing effects very well with high onscreen activity. It could be a setting set too high in STO. All the same, it could be a setting in the card's control panel... too much FSAA and no separation between what the game wants and what the card wants, can over do it.

Just some friendly advice before you dismiss what he was saying.
  • Options
    thedoctorblueboxthedoctorbluebox Member Posts: 749 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Specify what kind of lag then

Do you think balloons are causing net lag? or framerate lag?

For me, as stated, neither are occurring due to lots of balloons.
  • Options
    broken1981broken1981 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    tfomega wrote: »

All you have to do is type /showfps 1 and you will see your framerate at the top right corner of the screen. I tested this last night and did not see any lag from the balloons.. even when everyone in the room was firing them off.

it really sounds like a server issue to be honest. did you see that guys specs compared to mine? im out performing his system. maybe his net is bad? who knows.
    I can throw [Fireworks] at you and hope you catch on fire and burn to death lol
  • Options
    agentgreasyagentgreasy Member Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    tfomega wrote: »

Your card is well beyond the requirements of the game. The bus alone is years ahead of what the game was developed for.

My FPS drops to about 4, give or take a couple frames, when baloons impact my machine. The switch from hardware to software rendering is pretty quick, especially since the integrated card gives up quickly when the memory demands of the cpu start to sap away the memory assigned to the card.

There is an easy chance that some who think the lag they have from baloons is actually the lag thats been affecting the servers lately, but there are going to be some of us that have framerate issues with the baloons.
  • Options
    tfomegatfomega Member Posts: 812 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Your card is well beyond the requirements of the game. The bus alone is years ahead of what the game was developed for.

My FPS drops to about 4, give or take a couple frames, when baloons impact my machine. The switch from hardware to software rendering is pretty quick, especially since the integrated card gives up quickly when the memory demands of the cpu start to sap away the memory assigned to the card.

There is an easy chance that some who think the lag they have from baloons is actually the lag thats been affecting the servers lately, but there are going to be some of us that have framerate issues with the baloons.

laptops are more difficult to upgrade, but an integrated graphics card on a PC can be disabled in lieu of a new purchase.. not sure if that applies to you.

I AM NOT A FAN OF PWE!!!!
    MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2010
  • Options
    reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Even if they created zero lag they're still obnoxious and create junk all over the place that never seems to go away. I already can't go to Drozana anymore because of the stupid people with zero manners, and now ESD is just as annoying. What fool thought the game needed another trolling tool?
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    well im not really sure whats going on, if balloons are hurting people, (who knows who cares type thing for me ) ill make sure i will not use it around esd. when im on a ground mission or ground pvp ill use it there. it is a fun toy and just like every party popper created it will go into the bank at some point. these things do get old a bit fast for most players.
  • Options
    idronaidrona Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    We're watching feedback on this and may adjust things towards or the of the event, or after it ends. I'm passing along your feedback, but in the meantime, feel free to lower "max debris" to 0 and the balloons will disappear :)

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

:eek: Does this mean we can raise the setting and have even more balloons!?

Could not resist.
    signwidrona.png
  • Options
    mariothebrosmariothebros Member Posts: 68 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Whilst I fully admit that I can't stand party poppers at least when I was on ESD on the exchange or bank I could mute my computer and make the bank or exchange screen large and those annoying little gnats ceased to bother me.

This balloon popper, however, creates LAAAAAAAAAAAG. Why was this thing created?!? Now the griefers can actually provide REAL grief to those who have better things to do than annoy everyone else.

Really, how dull must life be if your best option for fun is to use party poppers in a game?

I second that. I don't mind having cute and fun stuff in the middle of serious business in STO, PROVIDING the main business is not interfered. Now, sever is down :( We don't want balloons which turns into Tribbles infestation on Klingon's territory.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    eizen745eizen745 Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Why do the few have to ruin it for the majority? Why should I have to change instances? Why should I have to adjust my settings? Why should Star Trek have such inane things? Is the player base so small that we need to attract the griefers to boost numbers?

I couldn't agree more. These party poppers are one of the stupidest ideas ever. Anyone ever see Data and Picard running around Starbase 1 blowing balloons and lighting firecrackers while spraying rainbows and singing Tra-la-la? No, because those kinds of bullfeathers never happened in Star Trek. And all these balloons have a real effect on frame rates and hardware stress.

To those people suggesting others should turn down their graphics settings, blow it out your thruster quad. I'm lucky enough to have a high power computer and not be affected much by these stupid balloons. Even so, temperatures go up when someone fills the room, and occasionally, even I take a frame rate hit. Anyone with a low power graphics card is already at a disadvantage when it comes to the visual presentation of the game, and when you add hundreds of objects to the frame being rendered, you will invariably affect someone else's experience. Whether or not the user's graphics settings are set to display them, that information is still sent to everyone in the room, their computer just decides if it gets displayed.Your neighbors would beat you down if you started firing firecrackers off down your street or filling thousands of balloons to let them bounce around the neighborhood.

If you want social networking, go to facebook. If you want to generally annoy people, go to facebook. If you want to play Star Trek with your friends, come to STO. At least that is how it should be. If the best thing you can think of to do with your valuable time is run your character around in circles firing party poppers off, seek professional help.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Even if they created zero lag they're still obnoxious and create junk all over the place that never seems to go away. I already can't go to Drozana anymore because of the stupid people with zero manners, and now ESD is just as annoying. What fool thought the game needed another trolling tool?

wtf man........its an mmo. sorry if it hurts ur rp. but again its a social game. and it happends to be a game. most of the player base enjoys things of this nature. rp'ers and pvp'ers alike. you really are part of the minority that dislikes party poppers. if most did not like them cryptic would not have made them at start of year 1. so really just deal with it.
  • Options
    plox21plox21 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    i have weak computer and internet connection.

internet connection of 512kb
    computer with 1gb graphic card , 4gb memory

I never ever experienced lag even when i was in club 47 on ESD with 10+ people shooting balloons in it on first day of event.

Set your video options like it should be and dont whine.:D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    amayakitsuneamayakitsune Member Posts: 977 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    plox21 wrote: »
    i have weak computer and internet connection.

internet connection of 512kb
    computer with 1gb graphic card , 4gb memory

I never ever experienced lag even when i was in club 47 on ESD with 10+ people shooting balloons in it on first day of event.

Set your video options like it should be and dont whine.:D

Are you kidding me?

I have a 2MB internet connection. (Oh BTW... this has nothing to do with anything the balloons arent causing latency issues, they are causing video/gfx lag).
    My GFX card is an Intel HD3000 and I have 8GB of system memory. I'll run the game at 30 FPS comfortably when in normal gameplay and 15-20 when there are lots or particles (from warp plasma and such on screen).

Ive tweaked the GFX settings to get the most FPS out of the game while still looking good. And these balloons lag me badly when there are enough of them. Ive hit 5 to 10FPS, and thats a few rooms away from the room where the massive amount of balloons are.

I could tolerate the fire extinguisher and the first two poppers... they are annoying.. but I can live with it. But these balloon spawning poppers are just bad... I cant ignore them, and when too many balloons are spawned, I can hardly play the game.
    7NGGeUP.png

• Options
    thedoctorblueboxthedoctorbluebox Member Posts: 749 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Upgrade your graphics cards people :)

Integrated graphics are the worse you can have for performance

I don't want Cryptic to dumb down the graphics, I want them to make better graphics for the game, higher detail, new DX11 features, etc.... the engine/graphics should be pushed and evolved forward, not backward.
  • Options
    darramouss1darramouss1 Member Posts: 1,811 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I have the perfect solution.

Some people like party poppers. Other don't. I'm sure there are times that people who like them may wish to not be distracted by them for short periods of time.

To cater for everyone, devs please add an option to enable or disable party effects. If you have it enabled you see and hear all the excitement. Whoopee!! Fun!!

If you have it disabled you can allow others to have their fun (Whoopee!! Fun!!) whilst you are not impinged in any way.

The only people who could really not like this idea are people who deliberately want to make STO a not-fun experience. Basically the sort that the game could do without.
  • Options
    hanoverhanover Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013

Some people like party poppers. Other don't. I'm sure there are times that people who like them may wish to not be distracted by them for short periods of time.

To cater for everyone, devs please add an option to enable or disable party effects. If you have it enabled you see and hear all the excitement. Whoopee!! Fun!!

If you have it disabled you can allow others to have their fun (Whoopee!! Fun!!) whilst you are not impinged in any way.

The only people who could really not like this idea are people who deliberately want to make STO a not-fun experience. Basically the sort that the game could do without.

Yeah, the 14 year old kids trolling people about their PC builds will never go for that, because what they're after here is griefing, pure and simple. Their enjoyment is derived from ruining it for other people.
    Does Arc install a root kit? Ask a Dev today!
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    hanover2 wrote: »
    Yeah, the 14 year old kids trolling people about their PC builds will never go for that, because what they're after here is griefing, pure and simple. Their enjoyment is derived from ruining it for other people.

I'm in full agreement with you there. Still, it's clear that the devs are reading this thread, so hopefully they take the idea and run with it. There's no other way to make so many people happy as I'm sure the griefers are a minority.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Greifing? really? palying with toys that the devs gave us is greifing?

Um... no. If the devs didn't want us to make huge masses of Balloons they wouldn't have given us toys that spew balloons....
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2013

Um... no. If the devs didn't want us to make huge masses of Balloons they wouldn't have given us toys that spew balloons....

It appears you didn't really read the three posts prior to yours. Try again and you'll see that my idea doesn't involve taking them away. For the most part I used small words, too.
  • Options
    hanoverhanover Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013

Then you won't mind if they add the ability to disable just those animations, without gimping graffics settings that affect actual gameplay.
    Does Arc install a root kit? Ask a Dev today!
  • Options
    reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited February 2013

++ Eleventy Billion
  • Options
    edited February 2013

i like this idea. then i can play all i want with out people getting mad for god knows what ever reason possible
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    broken1981 wrote: »
    i like this idea. then i can play all i want with out people getting mad for god knows what ever reason possible

To me this message shows you to NOT be a griefer. I'm sorry I gave you a hard time earlier today.
  • Options
    gstamo01gstamo01 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Current party popper can be very useful in TRIBBLE up someones find the Q in the present mini game.
    You know Cryptic has Jumped the Proverbial Shark when they introduced Tractor Pulling to Star Trek Online! :D
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    gstamo01 wrote: »
    Current party popper can be very useful in TRIBBLE up someones find the Q in the present mini game.

just go in the box and you can see where he is.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    To me this message shows you to NOT be a griefer. I'm sorry I gave you a hard time earlier today.

no im not looking to greif anyone. but again its a game. aside from pvp'ers and rp'ers to pve'ers we all have to get along. i hear the people that like to rp get mad that people dance on thier tables or what ever. but the thinking is off. its not thier tables. its a social zone. cant play kick the tribble with each other on star base since its client side. this party popper made it so we can kick balloons at each other and have some fun between ques. wither its stf or pvp. i just want to have fun. but not at the expense of others if you get me.
  • Options
    zerobangzerobang Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    FYI: if you are annoyed or have FPS problems because of balloon spam everywhere go into Video Options and reduce the amount of "Phsics debrees" to zero = NO MORE BALLOONS.

-> KNOW YOUR OPTIONS MENU!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited February 2013
    Options>Video>Show Advanced Video Settings

Max Physics Debris Objects
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg