What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Feedback about 3yr Party Popper and Balloons

Comments

• Options
    darramouss1darramouss1 Member Posts: 1,811 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    This isn't a, why do they have to ruin it for the majority thing. Why does the Minority whos complaining about the balloons have to ruin the majoritys fun. I hate how zone chat sounds, so I will go on the fourms to campaign getting EVERYONE chatbanned. I don't like STFs so I want them all removed, I don't like Crystaline entity, so it should be deleted. I don't like Energy Credits, so delete the currency, I don't have any EC, so it wont affect me so I don't care if u delete it all! I don't like the dkora, so remove it from the game. I don't like balloons so they should all be removed.

You can close chat. You can't close lag. This point is irrelevant on so many levels.

This isn't a case where something is impeding your ability to play. This is like you acedentaly turned up the blue on ur Nivdia Graphics card, and now ur buying a new computr because its blue. No that doesn't make sense, just turn down the blue! Theres an option in the options that gets rid of the debris so you don't have to see it at all, see people spamming balloons, turn down that option! Your the vocal Minority contrary to what you think, the majority is the nonvocal people enjoying the balloons.

Maybe you like balloons but I've been talking to a fair few people who hate being lagged out. As for changing my graphics options, why should I be the one to change when I get to ESD and change back when I head out? Why should I change to accommodate for the people who are lagging other people? It's their actions, not mine, that is changing how the game should behave. If anyone should change it's them.

If I did something that was affecting how the game ran for other people I would cease and desist immediately. My parents raised me to be considerate of others.

Edit list of places that are unpopulated with these options: New Romulus, Captain's Table, Fleet Starbases, Drazona, there are about 30 ESD instances, im sure 1 of them doesn't have spam, the academy, D'kora bridge, Freighter bridge, Sierra Starbase, Memory Alpha, Bajor, you have no excuses. I just listed 9 diferent places u can go to acess all the Features easily with no interfearance,

Bajor is the number 1, has everything, no one is ever there.

All of a sudden you have a new toy and, lo and behold, using it affects the game for other people. Instead of being considerate to the general community and realising you're affecting the enjoyment of others YOU want US to move out of ESD? How utterly and completely selfish.

dma1986 wrote: »
    Tuffli and D'kora bridges, anywhere in space via the Azura comm code, starbases and embassies (OK, not quite other-people-free, but if you own the fleet you could implement a no-spam policy on the fleet holdings and kick anyone that breaks it).

Use the Azura comm? I'll do that if you can only use those childish party poppers with an equal cooldown. Include in that extra time to take in to consideration the cooldown on transwarp. Also, popper users can subsidise others getting a D'Kora. See how ludicrous your suggestions are?
  • Options
    pinoirpinoir Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Yeah it's a shame that people in social zones can interact with each other, almost defeats the purpose of a social zone. If you get a pile of lag from people celebrating the 3rd anniversary, or you're just cranky because your tea is cold or you missed your nap, there are other options.

Use an exchange, bank, mail, or tailor on your embassy, a freighter, a D'Kora or a Fleet Base! Yes I realize that not all of those options have each console, but you can easily contact someone in say... the Public Service channel for an invite to one of those options, if say you don't have access to any of them normally, and go about your business without all the messy human interactions with real people that happen in social zones.
  • Options
    dma1986dma1986 Member Posts: 541 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Use the Azura comm? I'll do that if you can only use those childish party poppers with an equal cooldown. Include in that extra time to take in to consideration the cooldown on transwarp. Also, popper users can subsidise others getting a D'Kora. See how ludicrous your suggestions are?
    You asked for places you can use bank and exchange facilities without being bothered by poppers. I gave you some.

Use them, HTFU or GTFO. Pick one.
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    It's a Party Atmosphere that happens once a year for 14 days...

It will only last for a few days, then die down till the last couple of days, then it'll be over.

You want people to be accommodating but yer not willing to even be a little bit in return?

There are plenty of places in the game where you can avoid the lag during the Anniversary.

Just go with the flow and before ya know it, things will be back to normal.

I run a fairly new NVIDIA card and even I had to adjust my setting a bit last night.

Ease up on the angst folks, it's not worth the ulcers.

:)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    c0nd1t10nr3dc0nd1t10nr3d Member Posts: 638 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    @darramouss1 - You say that you were brought up to be considerate of others... Do you know how "Inconsiderate" you are sounding?

You want everyone who are having FUN with the poppers to STOP for your own selfish convenience! It's that plain and simple... Try listening to yourself!

If anything, you should be asking the devs to tweak the poppers to eliminating the lag. Not having a go at those who enjoy the fun of using the things during the celebration.

You started the thread stating that you loath ALL party poppers... Not just these new ones that unfortunately cause lag... So, the bare bones of your story is that you hate people having fun and want them to stop, for your own convenience. That's the REAL bottom of your story here!

So, take the advice of your upbringing and be considerate for others and stop being so selfish and trying to spoil the fun that others are having and adjust your attitude toward your fellow players.

Aim your frustrations at the devs instead and ask them to tweak the new popper so that it doesn't cause Lag... Then and only then will you get support from not only myself, but I'm sure many others.

/rant
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    The place where people can use bank and exchange are VERY limited. You can use poppers anywhere, even in the comfort of your own bridge. Instead you choose to do it in ESD.

I live in a block of apartments. When I want to celebrate and have a party I do it in my privacy of my apartment, not in the hallways, as I respect that not everybody may want to celebrate or party in a public area. That's called consideration. If you were considerate you would go to the lower level of ESD. You can move your poppers all around ESD, we cannot move the bank or exchange on ESD.

Emergency restart on the server? Wonder if it has something to do with the server not coping with all the balloons...
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Have you never heard the term street party? This is basically the same thing.
  • Options
    c0nd1t10nr3dc0nd1t10nr3d Member Posts: 638 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    The place where people can use bank and exchange are VERY limited. You can use poppers anywhere, even in the comfort of your own bridge. Instead you choose to do it in ESD.

I live in a block of apartments. When I want to celebrate and have a party I do it in my privacy of my apartment, not in the hallways, as I respect that not everybody may want to celebrate or party in a public area. That's called consideration. If you were considerate you would go to the lower level of ESD. You can move your poppers all around ESD, we cannot move the bank or exchange on ESD.

You might have missed my post on the previous thread... Last post of the thread. You want something done? Take my advice I have given there, because at the moment, you are being very selfish and inconsiderate yourself.

At the moment, you're going about it all in the wrong way. Don't have a pop (pun not intended) at the player base... Instead, make your plea to the devs and ask them to try and fix the problem. Don't expect the majority of 2 million players to just STOP using the popper.

I rest my case.
  • Options
    pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited February 2013
    We're watching feedback on this and may adjust things towards or the of the event, or after it ends. I'm passing along your feedback, but in the meantime, feel free to lower "max debris" to 0 and the balloons will disappear :)

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Sure, the balloons are funny when used in non-framerate-killing quantity, but your "celebration" does not rank above the playability of everyone else.
  • Options
    chalpenchalpen Member Posts: 2,207 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    They shouldn't be around the transporter room.
    Extremely dangerous for those being transported.
    Should I start posting again after all this time?
  • Options
    corbinwolf#9797 corbinwolf Member Posts: 565 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Yeah, um, the balloons attacked and my screen literally just froze in time.... it was balloon hell. LOL... Shard is coming down any minute now for an emergency restart, so no worries.
    "The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward." - Rocky Balboa (2006)
  • Options
    broken1981broken1981 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    We're watching feedback on this and may adjust things towards or the of the event, or after it ends. I'm passing along your feedback, but in the meantime, feel free to lower "max debris" to 0 and the balloons will disappear :)

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

i love the new party popper, why should it be changed because of people say it affects their
    rp'ing? its a fun item that most enjoy. to be honest i love seeing the ballons building up in 1 place. as well as we can kick the ballons around to each other. we cant kick tribbles around on sb because thats client side. so we cant have kick the tribble but we can have kick the ballon.
    I can throw [Fireworks] at you and hope you catch on fire and burn to death lol
  • Options
    kalanikalani Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Why not allow the previous yours popers to pop the balloons so we can police this ourselves and save our own frame rates then set them all to not function out of special events?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    kalani2 wrote: »
    Why not allow the previous yours popers to pop the balloons so we can police this ourselves and save our own frame rates then set them all to not function out of special events?

if you cant handle the ballons then i think u need an upgrade. im using max setting with a xfx nforce 680i lt sli motherboard . got a dual core cpu and a gtx 460 with 4 gigs of ram. wtf........
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    broken1981 wrote: »
    i love the new party popper, why should it be changed because of people say it affects their
    rp'ing? its a fun item that most enjoy. to be honest i love seeing the ballons building up in 1 place. as well as we can kick the ballons around to each other. we cant kick tribbles around on sb because thats client side. so we cant have kick the tribble but we can have kick the ballon.

I don't understand why people with a new toy feel it's their God-given right to oust people who were already there.

I hope next time you're doing stuff in your bank it takes 10 seconds from the time to try to move it before you actually see it move.
    if you cant handle the ballons then i think u need an upgrade. im using max setting with a xfx nforce 680i lt sli motherboard . got a dual core cpu and a gtx 460 with 4 gigs of ram. wtf........

It's server side, not local. My machine is more powerful than that and the lag gets worse and worse.
  • Options
    adorkabledoriadorkabledori Member Posts: 234 Arc User
    edited February 2013

You're lying, XFX isn't making nforce cards as they kicked Nvidia out about 2 years ago. The only GPU's they make are AMD/ATI based.
  • Options
    sean2448sean2448 Member Posts: 815 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    it is for fun it most likely stop or slow down when event is over
    I only use them when there is an event
    relax
  • Options
    edited February 2013

I hope next time you're doing stuff in your bank it takes 10 seconds from the time to try to move it before you actually see it move.

that happends with or with out ballons. thats a sever issue. happned since this game launched. its nothing new.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    You're lying, XFX isn't making nforce cards as they kicked Nvidia out about 2 years ago. The only GPU's they make are AMD/ATI based.
    I'll just leave this here. http://www.nvidia.com/object/designed_by_nvidia_680i_lt_sli_support.html
  • Options
    edited February 2013

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2959594

thanks for being as dumb as a rock. i thought my cpu would give you a clue. here is a link to the motherboard. maybe that should give you a clue how old my system is yet i play in max settings.............

so again for people with issues upgrade. if its just the ballons itself giving you a problem its a game as well as a social zone.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    dma1986 wrote: »

I stand corrected then, but it doesn't change the fact that it is creating lag. Myself is running the game on a crossfire HD 7870 OC, powered by an AMD FX8320 and 16 Gig of Ram, and still I do have the lag that it is creating.
  • Options
    agentgreasyagentgreasy Member Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    So, the balloons themselves are definitely an added lag if you have low memory - gfx or otherwise. They are physics particles, so in some ways they are actively rendered - each additional balloon is another pipe eaten up to process it, and when you hit the max for your card it quickly goes to the next source... which is what causes the slow down.

Fun or not, there really is no reason to make those of us with lesser cards suffer just because your system can handle it. I don't really see anyone truly saying they're bad and get rid of them - most are saying add some control to it, since self control is a trait seldom used.

Fun or not, its not necessary to flood a room with balloons thanks to the zero cooldown and the rapid deployment while running.

I shouldn't have to disable features that I enjoy graphics wise, in order to run through ESD, reducing the enjoyment of the rest of the game - which if I remove debris entirely, is definitely a change to the environment i see entirely.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    I stand corrected then, but it doesn't change the fact that it is creating lag. Myself is running the game on a crossfire HD 7870 OC, powered by an AMD FX8320 and 16 Gig of Ram, and still I do have the lag that it is creating.

and yet my system is out performing yours.......

try cleaning out your system. clear the clutter, get system mechanic pro. there is a free trail. i use it. i even have a profile so when i want to game it turns off res i dont need to boost gaming. do you clean out the dust? maybe its a server issue. i get spamed with ballons and have yet to see this "lag" people talk about.
  • Options
    shar487ashar487a Member Posts: 1,292 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    One player was using the new party popper balloon inflation animation to deliberately block my view of Q while trying to play the Starfleet Academy present / shell game. While his efforts failed, I still found his malicious behavior quite a nuisance.
  • Options
    agentgreasyagentgreasy Member Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited February 2013

try cleaning out your system. clear the clutter, get system mechanic pro. there is a free trail. i use it. i even have a profile so when i want to game it turns off res i dont need to boost gaming. do you clean out the dust? maybe its a server issue. i get spamed with ballons and have yet to see this "lag" people talk about.

I would agree that he should not be encountering it. I'm on a laptop with integrated graphics. Mind you, its not crappy integrated graphics... but I am limited in resources by a significant amount. I've been able to handle balloons to a certain extent, but it is not hard to reach a point where its obvious my system is paging memory trying to handle it.
  • Options
    edited February 2013

Lols, seems you know my system so well ??? It's a fresh install from yesterday. :rolleyes: There is no much clutter on it.
  • Options
    edited February 2013

look again. when i have like 10 people shooting me with balloons i get no lag. i even shoot back. ill do it in esd, in the bank or in the club or even at the exchange. i dont notice anything. maybe a lag spike here or there but thats normal. has always happened.

yet people who have better system then i have are getting tones of lag? i dont think people are taking good care of thier systems.

oh and my vid card also has 1 gig of ram in it. ram on mother board is 4 gigs. so please tell me how so many people spamming with me included is not causing problems on my system?
  • Options
    tigerhandlertigerhandler Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Ok the gun was probably a really neat idea on paper and as they where sitting around talking about what to have in the packs. Someone in that room had to have realized the amount of stress it would place on server and client side. I mean really! Nice idea devs but a very bad choice to roll out imo. The old fashion ones where just fine and came with no lag or interference with the game play. I have talked with many players stating they would transport into ESD or First city and be slammed with a room of balloon filled lag :mad:. Guess we will just have to put up with it for now.
  • Options
    thedoctorblueboxthedoctorbluebox Member Posts: 749 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I have no lag or framerate slowdowns or other, due to the balloons.

Don't blame cryptic for your slow pc, Cryptics graphic engine for STO is hardly stressing, try running Far Cry 3 or Crysis 3 at maxed out graphics settings on a large display :p