Install Arc
Options

'Timid creatures now fight back when attacked.'

Comments

• Options
    psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    qinnux wrote: »
    you cant enjoy the game if you don't have the gear and level for it... its nowhere near fun to get 1 shot by battleships.

That's just it - you don't have to have the top-end gear to do endgame. I don't have any Omega/MACO/other equipment on my ship, and I'm fine against battleships and the like.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • Options
    collegepark2151collegepark2151 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Congrats, foundry authors. You won. :(
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Porthos is not amused.
  • Options
    grindisbaddesigngrindisbaddesign Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Congrats, foundry authors. You won. :(

Not every Foundry author was behind this. There were only a few who have an inordinate amount of developer attention who pushed for this.
  • Options
    fourxgamerfourxgamer Member Posts: 245 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I had more to say on this subject, but I now fear to post.

Ironic that one could be intimidated out of speaking their mind in threads where the subject matter concerns the tools of artistic expression.

Furthermore, what a tough crowd that doesn't appreciate some sweet 17th century TRIBBLE poetry. It was relevant, I swear.
  • Options
    starmada1starmada1 Member Posts: 139 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    hank900 wrote: »
    Put it back, I liked it how else can we afford the HUGE exchange prices, its not hurting anyone. You could make those missions not count for the marks and DL but let us get the drops.

This. The exchange on this game is insane. even white quality mk xii items go for no less than a million.

Even with those EC farming things, only being able to get maybe 300-400k a day, it would still take weeks to deck out your ship. You would still have to play, spend time on it, so... I don't see what the big deal is.

And if you REALLY want to get nerdy technical... on the Federation side, all gear should be provided for us. It's the Federation. They don't use money.
  • Options
    thedukeofrockthedukeofrock Member Posts: 168 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    bloctoad wrote: »
    Rather than that just play the missions on every character and down rate them all with single star reviews.

Most of us wanted them sperated into 2 catagories, not pulled. I slave endlessly to keep my fleet in top gear, and it takes grinding, but as a Foundry author, to see the newer authors being buried by EC missions needed to be addressed by seperating them from the story missions, not pulling them. :o
    ABI-Artificial Borg Intelligence by Duke-of-Rock Available on Holodeck
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Also play Spawn of Medusa - The 5 Part series
    by Duke-of-Rock Available on Holodeck
  • Options
    fourxgamerfourxgamer Member Posts: 245 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Most of us wanted them sperated into 2 catagories, not pulled. I slave endlessly to keep my fleet in top gear, and it takes grinding, but as a Foundry author, to see the newer authors being buried by EC missions needed to be addressed by seperating them from the story missions, not pulling them. :o

Thank you for being among the more reasonable voices. I have never played any of your missions but I will go try them soon. I am familiar with Nagorak's work and have rated it highly in the past.

There were only a select few authors who weren't happy with a live-and-let-live scenario, and I think most people saw that.

Please everyone, let's support these authors who were understanding by trying their missions rather than down-rating their less sympathetic peers.

Nobody wanted to clutter the UI or drown out aspiring authors, we're just trying to survive out here. Please have some understanding for our side also. We are not the horrible things we've been labeled this past week. I would list these things to make a point if it weren't a violation of the tos.

anyhow, best wishes to you.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    fourxgamer wrote: »
    Thank you for being among the more reasonable voices. I have never played any of your missions but I will go try them soon. I am familiar with Nagorak's work and have rated it highly in the past.

There were only a select few authors who weren't happy with a live-and-let-live scenario, and I think most people saw that.

Please everyone, let's support these authors who were understanding by trying their missions rather than down-rating their less sympathetic peers.

Nobody wanted to clutter the UI or drown out aspiring authors, we're just trying to survive out here. Please have some understanding for our side also. We are not the horrible things we've been labeled this past week. I would list these things to make a point if it weren't a violation of the tos.

Well spoken Sir.

DoR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    fourxgamer wrote: »

To be clear there are two facets to this issue:

Non-story missions
    EC farming missions

Most EC farming missions don't have a story, but not all non-story missions are EC farming.

Combat simulation missions have their uses. Testing new gear setups and the like.....

EC farming is all that was killed by this update. It got killed because te DEVS thought it was an exploit, not because people "whined"...
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    twg042370twg042370 Member Posts: 2,312 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    That's just it - you don't have to have the top-end gear to do endgame. I don't have any Omega/MACO/other equipment on my ship, and I'm fine against battleships and the like.

This is very true. The only reason my VAs have purple gear is because I was sitting on an excess of EC and had nothing to do with it but hit the exchange and go shopping. I never needed it otherwise. But I don't do PvP either.

The only legit complaints so far are from authors who lost a way to have disabled star ships. If Cryptic can work it that "timid" simply doesn't drop loot, I think that'd be a better all the way around. But as a regular Foundry player I'll be happy to see the gimp missions pushed down the list... since an improved UI seems unlikely.

And improved UI would make everyone happy, methinks.
    <3
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    It got killed because te DEVS thought it was an exploit, not because people "whined"...

I'm pretty sure their threads of rage, mass reporting of missions and tweets helped expedite the last minute inclusion of the nerf yesterday.

Strangely they've been pretty silent now they've gotten their way -- you'd think they'd be all over this forum dancing victory jigs.
  • Options
    collegepark2151collegepark2151 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    ...Strangely they've been pretty silent now they've gotten their way -- you'd think they'd be all over this forum dancing victory jigs.

They're all back in their clubhouse drinking champagne. :rolleyes:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Porthos is not amused.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    They're all back in their clubhouse drinking champagne. :rolleyes:

Top hats. Monocles. A toast to evil. Drinks made of the tears of one shot grinder players.
    <3
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    To be clear there are two facets to this issue:

Non-story missions
    EC farming missions

Most EC farming missions don't have a story, but not all non-story missions are EC farming.

Combat simulation missions have their uses. Testing new gear setups and the like.....

EC farming is all that was killed by this update. It got killed because te DEVS thought it was an exploit, not because people "whined"...

Agreed, I made a combat scenario mission as well, a tiny bit of story, but just to promote the combat, good for picking up some gear as well as testing combat builds. They definitely have uses, especially from the build standpoint. Heck, my mission kicked my tail a few times as well, helped me change my build a bit for the better, as did Battleship Royale Rumble.

And although I didn't care for the EC farming missions, I just felt they needed to be seperated from the story content, that's where my voice on the matter was.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,414 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    starmanj wrote: »
    Why are we getting a lot lees in Foundry loot now this was not mentioned in the resent Release notes. It is like 1 and 1/4 Foundry missions now in getting loot, this is after Cool down.
    admgreer wrote: »
    I noticed the same thing. Its dropping about 1/2 what it use too. Must be all the complaining the Foundry authors were doing to the Devs about how they made missions that took 80 hours to complete and a simple grinder that has no content is the Top run mission. So to make them happy they prob nerfed the dropps. I was making 600k EC in drops a day from 1 run, now its down to 300k in drops.

Don't know if the loot has been nerfed, but i felt brave and challenged one of these "grinders". Started out against 20-25 breen, after that 20-25 undine battleships and then something easy Borg cubes.

Fired a beam and got hit with multiple Tyken's Rift and Gravity wells. These former 1-click win missions are now regular cauldrons. Was killing opponents left and right (takes a while when facing this many opponents) when the emergency reset came.

At least we don't have to listen to the "grinders kill the foundry" anymore. They should be voted up as challenge missions though. :P
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    bloctoadbloctoad Member Posts: 660 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    twg042370 wrote: »
    Top hats. Monocles. A toast to evil. Drinks made of the tears of one shot grinder players.

One speaks! I take it you swapped out your standard foundry author keyboard for one with out all Q's.
    Jack Emmert: "Starfleet and Klingon. ... So two factions, full PvE content."
    Al Rivera hates Klingons
    Star Trek Online: Agents of Jack Emmert
    All cloaks should be canon.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    questerius wrote: »
    At least we don't have to listen to the "grinders kill the foundry" anymore. They should be voted up as challenge missions though. :P

There are still other types of grinders that continue to work. Not as lucrative as the ones nerfed, but still easy dil/fm.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    I did some EC grinders mostly when i had 10-15 min and felt like filling my treasure chest.

The former 1-shot money grinders are now challenging cauldrons and i hope they don't get buried because they are great for players who like to challenge themselves.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    zedomegazedomega Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    questerius wrote: »
    I did some EC grinders mostly when i had 10-15 min and felt like filling my treasure chest.

The former 1-shot money grinders are now challenging cauldrons and i hope they don't get buried because they are great for players who like to challenge themselves.

There's challenging yourself and there's jumping into an active volcano while trying to fly. easy money proved that after the patch. As soon as I discovered that, I redid One Too Many and A Will and a Barclay, and adopted Battleship Royal Rumble as my grinder. (Side note: Hooray, Fire At Will III, I found another reason to re-add you to my hotkeys again!) Plus, the group-25-battleships-and-set-them-timid-in-a-nebula grinders are already starting to get massive amounts of downvoting because of the patch. The author of the easy money trilogy is apparently going to pull those missions for the time being, with BRR taking its spot in the Top Rated list pretty fast.

*sighs* The ones who dine at the fancy restaurants want all the Burger Kings shut down...
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    bloctoad wrote: »
    One speaks! I take it you swapped out your standard foundry author keyboard for one with out all Q's.

I'm just a player. A player who knows over-inflated entitlement causing adults to act like toddlers when he sees it and has no sympathy for it.
    <3
  • Options
    chivalrybeanchivalrybean Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    atomictiki wrote: »
    Everyone knows that's impossible. REAL Foundry missions are 1 hour, or longer, and are timeless masterpieces.

Mine plays under an hour, probably just meets IOR requirements ... and it is a timeless masterpiece.

Well, it has good reviews, at least.
    Chewson Pwan - VA
    S.S. Doff Lundgren
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    darkzenithukdarkzenithuk Member Posts: 57 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    At the end of the day, I suspect the people whining longest and loudest about EC farming exploits, are the very people sitting on a veritable mountain of EC. Funny how that works. :rolleyes:
    Mortem a mundo, ortum republica, imperii ruina.
  • Options
    cha0s1428cha0s1428 Member Posts: 416 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    bazag wrote: »
    @adorkabledori

And just sitting there with your ship on Auto attack is fun? You are grinding EC.... utilising an exploit to do so. These grinders are not fun, they didn't require you to do anything but make sure you have the target in your sights.

Don't blame the reputation system for this. Just doing the Tau Dewa Sector patrol daily provided enough EC for me to meet my daily EC reputation requirements for both Romulan and Omega reps. I am at Tier 5 in Romulan and Omega Rep. and have been for a month or so.

Just PLAY THE GAME, there is no need for anyone to resort to exploits for this game.

@atomictiki

The recent change hasn't really been a NERF in that abilities and powers have not reduced in effectiveness. It was a systems change by the people at cryptic who funnily enough want to keep their in-game economy balanced and under control.

No mission has been singled out, no user has been banned, no other repurcussions have been laid out except that a very specific way to abuse the system to gain loot and EC has become invalidated.

EDIT:

There are plenty of short missions that qualify for the IOR, search for them. If you want your dilithium and fleet marks there are plenty of missions that will take you 20-30 minutes. And seeing as the repeatable has a 30 min cooldown there is no point in not taking longer missions.

This is the kind of thing I am talking about. You people griped and moaned about something you have no idea about, and since you used an invalid argument to support your complaints, you have now broken the system.

Anyone who used the foundry to grind for EC was in the wrong place. The grinding missions stopped giving loot after about 6 minutes, and then no loot again for the 24 hour cooldown. I have 5 characters, 3 of which I leveled to 50 with ONLY IOR. I never bought anything for any of their ships, only loot drops. I would sell blues on the exchange. Each one of them, once they hit 50, had made roughly 2-3 mil EC. That is equal to one good tour the universe. I don't understand why people are complaining about it being a EC exploit. There is a cap in place for EC, skill points, and even dil with the 8k cap per day. They ALL had a self limiting cap, so this BS about it throwing off the economy is nonsense.

The real issue was that they were the only feasible way for those of us with small fleets to grind fleet marks and dil. Yes, the cool down for IOR is 30 minutes, but with 3 people in a fleet, I could cycle my five characters through them inside that 30 minute cool down. I work 2 jobs and have a family, so I generally only have 30 mins to an hour to play each day. I used to feel like I was making some progress on these projects, but not anymore. 24 hour standard projects, and 4 day upgrade projects were bad enough. 60,000-200,000 dil requirement was bad enough. 600-1,800 fleet marks were bad enough. Now, with this change, it is going to take people 5 times longer to do any of this stuff.

Ever time I turn around, the devs seem to be working harder and harder to put more hurdles in the way of me trying to enjoy this game. So whats next, a fleet mark daily cap? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    zedomega wrote: »
    There's challenging yourself and there's jumping into an active volcano while trying to fly. easy money proved that after the patch.

True, but when i have some time to spare i am going to finish that one. Being hit by that many grav wells can be annoying, but at the same time i relish the challenge.
    As soon as I discovered that, I redid One Too Many and A Will and a Barclay, and adopted Battleship Royal Rumble as my grinder. (Side note: Hooray, Fire At Will III, I found another reason to re-add you to my hotkeys again!) Plus, the group-25-battleships-and-set-them-timid-in-a-nebula grinders are already starting to get massive amounts of downvoting because of the patch. The author of the easy money trilogy is apparently going to pull those missions for the time being, with BRR taking its spot in the Top Rated list pretty fast.

*sighs* The ones who dine at the fancy restaurants want all the Burger Kings shut down...

I'll try them out. OTM and BRR were fun to pass the time especially when throwing on lower level gear.
  • Options
    pendra3780pendra3780 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Poor grinders. No more something for nothing exploit? You feel cheated or furious that you can't take the easy lane? My heart is bleeding, really.
    This is not a victory of a few foundry authors. This is a victory of common sense, which a lot of players seems to lack. If you are one of them, learn from this lesson because the real life, outside your parent's basement, is a lot like this.

Can't get EC, learn to play! Get to know the exchange, do certain DOFF missions, play a few elite space STFs and the EC will just pour in.

And now go ahead punks, make my day, rate down my missions!
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    pendra3780 wrote: »
    And now go ahead punks, make my day, rate down my missions!

C'mon folks, all that needed to happen in my opinion was a better search system seperating the story missions from the combat/grinders. I still think it would benefit us all, but we need to quit instigating battles between grinders and Foundry Authors.

That's not what this is about. Cryptic didn't want the missions apparently, regardless of any of our opinions. Some wanted them yanked, some wanted the seperated, some wanted to keep them. I grind daily myself for me and the fleet, but to keep pushing this "conflict" by trying to goad each other does nothing but put folks in a bad mood. :(

At the risk of sounding corny "Can't we all just get along?" :o

DoR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    C'mon folks, all that needed to happen in my opinion was a better search system seperating the story missions from the combat/grinders. I still think it would benefit us all, but we need to quit instigating battles between grinders and Foundry Authors.

That's not what this is about. Cryptic didn't want the missions apparently, regardless of any of our opinions. Some wanted them yanked, some wanted the seperated, some wanted to keep them. I grind daily myself for me and the fleet, but to keep pushing this "conflict" by trying to goad each other does nothing but put folks in a bad mood. :(

At the risk of sounding corny "Can't we all just get along?" :o

DoR

They want a war. A cleansing of the Foundry missions lists. Enforced adoration from the masses. Hell, probably want a free beer cozy too.

They're going to force Cryptic to "do something" if they keep it up. And I guarantee that Cryptic's solution will TRIBBLE everyone.

Sensible things like an improved UI? What fun is that when it's easier to attack other players?
  • Options
    chaoscloud#1972 chaoscloud Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    ROTFLMFAO! I just love some of these Foundry elitists on here telling players how the foundry can and cannot be played, and then include some well-sterned scolding for good measure for ruining their masterpiece theater utopia. Did the tea party join STO?
  • Options
    khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter
    edited February 2013
    My fleet has unanimously agreed that we're going to now keep doing the grinders (even those of us who never used to play them), but in teams of 5 and ignore all other Foundry content until it's realised that nobody should be telling others how they should be playing the game.
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    My fleet has unanimously agreed that we're going to now keep doing the grinders (even those of us who never used to play them), but in teams of 5 and ignore all other Foundry content until it's realised that nobody should be telling others how they should be playing the game.

Wuzz. If you have some backbone tackle em solo. :D