test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

What is your beef with the Galaxy Cryptic?

Comments

• Options
    dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    sevmrage wrote: »
    If that's the case, why are there ships that have two Commander Boff stations? Doesn't the JHDC have two? I'm sure one of the others can point out another ship that has two Cmdr. stations. Downside? Weak tactical seating and consoles. You get two Boff powers for Tac and two consoles. DPS Obsessed won't fly it because it's not a Scort or an Avenger anyway.

the only thing close to having 2 COM stations is these 4th anniversary ships, and you swap from one to the other, it doesn't have 2 at the same time
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    edalgo wrote: »
    D'Deridex has 2 LtCmdr stations. The Fleet D'Deridex layout shoulda been copied over to the Fleet Galaxy when LoR was released.

for real, that would be fine too. the galaxy R layout was LITERALLY shouted down when it made its appearance on the d'deridex in the beta. the people spoke, it should have been CRYSTAL clear then that that station setup was UNACCEPTABLE then.

the station power wheel doesn't need to be reinvented, good station setups are just needed. they saved the d'deridex from a horrible fate, the relaunched the sovereign, the gen 2 saucer sep tech they got working on the galaxy's and according to gecko is on the schedule for role out, soon the appropriate time to do something for the galaxy will be apon us
  • Options
    exsteeleexsteele Member Posts: 113 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    You know what would get me using the Galaxy? A Canon BOFF loadout. Let's see, what did Picard (A sci capt, btw) have at his disposal again?

1 Tac Commander (Riker)
    1 Tac Lt (Worf)
    2 LT.Com Eng (Geordi & Data)
    2 Commander Sci (Troi and Crusher)
    1 Universal Ens (Wesley)

... Well, THAT'S overpowered! No wonder they survived everything that was ever thrown at them (besides an old BoP, and only because no one thought to remodulate the shields)!

Going along those lines, but while still keeping with game thematics, I'd go for something like this:

1 Commander Eng.
    1 Lt. Commander Tac
    1 Lt. Commander Sci
    1 Lt. Universal.

That's 12 power slots, even though some ships have 13. It would allow the Galaxy to be a Jack of all trades/master of none by allowing 3 T3 powers from different disciplines, yet not allowing much overlap in abilities.

This is the ship that faced down the Borg and lived to tell the tale. This is a ship that's taken beatings from Romulans, Ferengi, Cardassians, and others, and yet is no worse for wear. It was the flagship of the Federation for over a decade, and LOOK, STO even uses it as a promotional image! It deserves the dignity of being a tough, hardy, capable vessel. Instead, we have a 560-odd page thread about people complaining about it.
  • Options
    whamhammer1whamhammer1 Member Posts: 2,290 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    exsteele wrote: »
    You know what would get me using the Galaxy? A Canon BOFF loadout. Let's see, what did Picard (A sci capt, btw) have at his disposal again?

1 Tac Commander (Riker)
    1 Tac Lt (Worf)
    1 Universal Ens (Wesley)

... Well, THAT'S overpowered! No wonder they survived everything that was ever thrown at them (besides an old BoP, and only because no one thought to remodulate the shields)!

Going along those lines, but while still keeping with game thematics, I'd go for something like this:

1 Commander Eng.
    1 Lt. Commander Tac
    1 Lt. Commander Sci
    1 Lt. Universal.

That's 12 power slots, even though some ships have 13. It would allow the Galaxy to be a Jack of all trades/master of none by allowing 3 T3 powers from different disciplines, yet not allowing much overlap in abilities.

This is the ship that faced down the Borg and lived to tell the tale. This is a ship that's taken beatings from Romulans, Ferengi, Cardassians, and others, and yet is no worse for wear. It was the flagship of the Federation for over a decade, and LOOK, STO even uses it as a promotional image! It deserves the dignity of being a tough, hardy, capable vessel. Instead, we have a 560-odd page thread about people complaining about it.

Except that 4 of your 12 power slots are LTCMDR or higher, you don't see any creep in that?
  • Options
    snowpig74snowpig74 Member Posts: 267 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Fly a D'D. Look for power creep... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    for real, that would be fine too. the galaxy R layout was LITERALLY shouted down when it made its appearance on the d'deridex in the beta. the people spoke, it should have been CRYSTAL clear then that that station setup was UNACCEPTABLE then.

Yep I remember when the D'Deridex was on tribble with the Galaxy's bridge officer and console layout. There was a huge backlash on the forums about it and the Devs changed it to, probably one of the more unique layouts, with those two LtCmd stations. They should have, at that time, adjusted the Galaxy's seating as well...perhaps even the Neg'Vars as well since those three ships should be equivalent. Currently the Neg is still better then the Galaxy with its En Universal and extra tac console at Fleet level. Not sure why the Galaxy didn't get that either.
    Tza0PEl.png
  • Options
    sickfistsickfist Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited February 2014

1 Tac Commander (Riker)
    1 Tac Lt (Worf)
    1 Universal Ens (Wesley)

1 Commander Eng.
    1 Lt. Commander Tac
    1 Lt. Commander Sci
    1 Lt. Universal.

yes thats true but that was in the series and as you'll see so did voyager but you dont see those sci ships flying around with those stations because it would not work in the context of the game.
    Wherever you go, there you are
  • Options
    smokeybacon90smokeybacon90 Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Maybe the devs don't like Beef? :confused:
    EnYn9p9.jpg
  • Options
    neo1nxneo1nx Member Posts: 962 Arc User
    edited February 2014

hehehe, that's a good one:)
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Why have we had no response from the developers?

well, we got some pretty nut people in this thread, if the devs would come to make a comment he would be instaflammed.
    i don't think it is a good idea, i already seen this when gecko intervene in beam thread posted by virus dancer in the pvp forum.
    but i would really like to talk about this with the devs, there are many questions like:

what are there feeling about the galaxy family ?( meaning do they think they need an update or not )
    do they bielieve that the eng power need a revamp, and if they do what direction will it take.
    is the galaxy is was a succes in term of revenu for sto?
    is, in their opinion, a paid revamp galaxy would have a commercial succes?

you known, that kinds of things.
    gecko speak about skill and power revamp in the second part of it interview of priority one. i didn't get everything ( i was playing at the same time ) but he speak about new way to make power ( like getting version 3 of a power a bonus power instead of the usual % increase ).
    this is a totally different approach than they used to do.

so to resume i would really like a discussion about all these with them, but don't want it to be a troll circus.
    and i think this thread is not the appropriate place to speak about these things seriously.
    this thread is to bring to attention to the devs some others way to revamp a galaxy amoung others things.
    there was a devblog lately, name question to a dev if i remember correctly, this would be the place to do it in my opinion.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    You know guys we have debated every possible configuration of this ship and it's variants for nearly 600 pages. We have discussed at great depth the inadequacies and limitations as they stand in current gameplay. There seems to be little else to say on this topic but there is still one question that needs to be examined in as much depth as BOFF seating:

Why have we had no response from the developers?

Any other thread this size would have been dealt with a long time ago, so we can certainly be sure that the devs are aware of it and aware of our requests. So why are we being ignored, any ideas?

the gen 2 saucer sep release for the galaxy X, mvam, and presumably galaxy R is on the scheduled apparently. that means fleet galaxy X and fleet gurumba. its basically now or never, when that drops, that we see something happen for the R
  • Options
    shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Maybe the devs don't like Beef? :confused:

Yeah, they probably prefer bacon. :D

Sorry, had to do it. :D :P
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    and an other arena with the gal x.

still hard when you fall against a good team.
    scimi, tvaro and a bunch of tholian recluse can give you a lot of trouble.

at least the fleet version will give him a little more firepower and survivability.

with the power creep going on i wonder how many years i can continue doing that before i will be totally obsolete?
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User
    edited February 2014

It also got disabled/captured in about a minute by two old BoP's under Ferengi control (Go rewatch TNG's Rascals) It was also destroyed 8 years after it was launched, (Go watch ST:Generations, so I don't see how it could have been the Fed Flagship for over a decade. Also, the Galaxy Class U.S.S. Odyssey fell pretty quick to the Dominion (while the Runabouts under the same fire held up - go TNG writers ;)).

And honestly as many have pointed out, is is still a capable ship in STO; it's just not the best ship in STO.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    darthconnor1701darthconnor1701 Member Posts: 172 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    It also got disabled/captured in about a minute by two old BoP's under Ferengi control (Go rewatch TNG's Rascals) It was also destroyed 8 years after it was launched, (Go watch ST:Generations, so I don't see how it could have been the Fed Flagship for over a decade. Also, the Galaxy Class U.S.S. Odyssey fell pretty quick to the Dominion (while the Runabouts under the same fire held up - go TNG writers ;)).

And honestly as many have pointed out, is is still a capable ship in STO; it's just not the best ship in STO.

Yea writers suck. They had more cash I'm sure some of the story lines would have made alot more sense and the movie battle would have been alot more entertaining and gave the Enterprise D a better ending.

That said it is capable noone really is trying to say it can't do anything. What most are saying is it is outclassed by every other cruiser, any thing it can do something else does better. Including the ship in your Sig which is considerably older but has more firepower. The Ambassador which is the predecessor to the Galaxy class is better at healing. I'm not gonna say that the Galaxy should be better than these ships in game as all Tier 5 should be on equal standing which the Galaxy currently is not.

Problem most seem to be having is that this ship is currently without a niche or a role that it does better then other cruisers. Any build ppl have come up with and put out another ship slightly modified (adjusting for seating and consoles of course) does better.

Honestly they should make the Galaxy, D'deridex, and the Negh'var all have the D'deridex boff and console builds as these ships where each others equal as far as I've read and seen on scene.

Edit:
    Or atleast release another fleet version of both the Galaxy and the Negh'var with the D'deridex seating and console layouts.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited February 2014

To be fair, that's how you create tension in a TV show or movie. Every hero ship was almost destroyed, captured/assimilated within minutes or disabled in the blink of an eye numerous times. Though it's never an argument why these ships suck, only the Galaxy recieves that kind of flak. On another note, it seems to be common agreement that the Excelsior class can be upgraded to be a top of the line battlecruiser with ease. But it's not possible, ever, to upgrade the Galaxy class to anything :D
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    gaiastridergaiastrider Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    angrytarg wrote: »
    To be fair, that's how you create tension in a TV show or movie. Every hero ship was almost destroyed, captured/assimilated within minutes or disabled in the blink of an eye numerous times. Though it's never an argument why these ships suck, only the Galaxy recieves that kind of flak. On another note, it seems to be common agreement that the Excelsior class can be upgraded to be a top of the line battlecruiser with ease. But it's not possible, ever, to upgrade the Galaxy class to anything :D

It's the space battle equivalent of the Worf Effect. The Galaxy is the biggest, meanest sonovabitch in them thar stars, if you want to how strong the baddy is, have them lay that sucka to waste.

It seems everyone is aware of just how dangerous the Galaxy is, except for cryptic.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    It's the space battle equivalent of the Worf Effect. The Galaxy is the biggest, meanest sonovabitch in them thar stars, if you want to how strong the baddy is, have them lay that sucka to waste.

It seems everyone is aware of just how dangerous the Galaxy is, except for cryptic.

The thing is, when TNG used that kind of habit it's intention was to show that the use of force was not the answer to a problem - that was the spirit of the show. The original Borg we got in TNG were not just a villian to beat, they were a symbol for that very trope. An infinite alien enemy you cannot beat with firepower.

Of course, the later installments of the show ignored that and the Zeitgeist changed. Today, it's popular to just fry things you don't like. Militarism and all out war are promoted as preferable ways to solve conflicts - if you just scan over these forums prople constantly demand more weapons of war, more "bad-assery", more militarized nonsense while their reasoning, usually, is "I was in the military, we did that as well!".

Nothing wrong with showing conflict or wars as part of the story, I enjoy the action and tension very much. But the point is that Starfleet ships in their TNG configuration were already top of the line ships to deal with conflict, even with a different mindset behind it. The Explorers of Starfleet were completely capable to compete with other people's warships. STO in particular, however, tries to play the "the times have changed, now we need more firepower more battleships of warfighting" card, although it doesn't make any sense. Just play the new tutorial - your character is supposed to make a toast to his class of Starfleet Academy - it's contents are nothing like the Academy's motto ("Ex Astris, Scientia" - knowledge from the stars) but it's clattered with "War is everywhere, THEY threaten US blah blah".

That's why the Galaxy Class is seen by so many, especially new players and Trek fans as inferior and weak because the present is so much more grimdark badass fighting all the time...
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    The thing is, when TNG used that kind of habit it's intention was to show that the use of force was not the answer to a problem - that was the spirit of the show. The original Borg we got in TNG were not just a villian to beat, they were a symbol for that very trope. An infinite alien enemy you cannot beat with firepower.

Of course, the later installments of the show ignored that and the Zeitgeist changed. Today, it's popular to just fry things you don't like. Militarism and all out war are promoted as preferable ways to solve conflicts - if you just scan over these forums prople constantly demand more weapons of war, more "bad-assery", more militarized nonsense while their reasoning, usually, is "I was in the military, we did that as well!".

Nothing wrong with showing conflict or wars as part of the story, I enjoy the action and tension very much. But the point is that Starfleet ships in their TNG configuration were already top of the line ships to deal with conflict, even with a different mindset behind it. The Explorers of Starfleet were completely capable to compete with other people's warships. STO in particular, however, tries to play the "the times have changed, now we need more firepower more battleships of warfighting" card, although it doesn't make any sense. Just play the new tutorial - your character is supposed to make a toast to his class of Starfleet Academy - it's contents are nothing like the Academy's motto ("Ex Astris, Scientia" - knowledge from the stars) but it's clattered with "War is everywhere, THEY threaten US blah blah".

That's why the Galaxy Class is seen by so many, especially new players and Trek fans as inferior and weak because the present is so much more grimdark badass fighting all the time...

This is true. Another of the problems is they made this game so much about "bring the rain" so to speak and not about taking the hits until the other guy gives in.

Tng alot of the time they sit and let their ship take the hits to show they could take it. It was a tank of sorts but had the firepower to knock the other guy around. They are really no missions that show that side ingame. Its all about destroying the other ships as quickly as you can and nothing about exhausting the other guys ship til he has no choice but to talk. Can only think of a few missions where you disable the ship where as I think all Starfleet missions should do just that, disable not destory. Destroying Borg yea but most should be disable klingon ships or hirogen or whatever we are set to take on. I like the explosions of ships as much as the next guy or gal but very rarely in the shows did they kill off the other guy ship unless by accident or out of need to save others. Granted I don't see them really going back and remaking the older missions but would like to see them put that into future content.

Look at the new Voth missions where we kill off entire city ships. Granted the Omega particles are super dangerous but I think there should atleast on the Starfleet side be someone maybe you saying we can't just destroy them. Think this game needs a healthy dose of Morality.

The Galaxy was a ship that was made to not only take hits and not only give them but to explore and to do research. Something the game lacks that is/was the primary mission of Starfleet to Explore and find new life. All we seem to do is find things to blow up.

Honestly at this point being a Tank ship isn't itself needed or all that worthwhile sadly.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited February 2014

Perfectly said angrytarg, perfectly said indeed. *applauds* Couldn't have said it better myself. I have nothing to add to this atm, it's like you took the words out of my mouth. :)
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    There is still hope. They reworked the KDF Negh'Var into a more offensive ship. So they can do a "Mirror" version for the Galaxy R and the Galaxy X. And make them more offensive.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • Options
    edited February 2014

yes, it is just not the best, it is the worst.
    we don't ask it to be the best, mind you, just not the worst, that would make a world difference.
    and will be more in line with what was said about it in cannon.
    i don't remember the admiral that came on bord in the first season of tng saying,

well use it as best as you could, because we did a pretty bad job with it, you have crappy firepowered, move like a turtle and the technology is unupgradable, so you will remain with this for the rest of the ship lifespan.
    ho don't worry our best engeneer have predict that this ship will not past the decade anyway, blow up by a 30years old bop, as they said, don't ask me how they have been able to predict that!
    anyway, why don' we take it to place a little more interesting like the romulan neutral zone:)
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    They are really no missions that show that side ingame. Its all about destroying the other ships as quickly as you can and nothing about exhausting the other guys ship til he has no choice but to talk.

hehe, well we got that in game, in pvp when 2 cruiser fight in 1vs1;)
    Can only think of a few missions where you disable the ship where as I think all Starfleet missions should do just that, disable not destory

completely agree with you on that one, i found it very disturbing in the beguining of my sto experience that i have to kill everyone without any remorse or consequences.
    but we are not the only one, they speak about it in an ask cryptic and daniel stahl said that since they didn't implement a system in the beguining to allow that, it is very difficult to implement it after due to the "kill" accolades that might not work anymore.

it kill the immersion in my opinion when you are a star trek fan, it is hard to bielieve i am working for starfleet when i murdered so much people.
    klingons don't have that problem tho.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    neo1nx wrote: »
    completely agree with you on that one, i found it very disturbing in the beguining of my sto experience that i have to kill everyone without any remorse or consequences.
    but we are not the only one, they speak about it in an ask cryptic and daniel stahl said that since they didn't implement a system in the beguining to allow that, it is very difficult to implement it after due to the "kill" accolades that might not work anymore.

it kill the immersion in my opinion when you are a star trek fan, it is hard to bielieve i am working for starfleet when i murdered so much people.

I recently created a new Fed toon and noticed that as well, it's worse than a few years ago. At first, like I said, the new tutorial suggests you just finished Starship Troopers basic training and are sent off as cannon fodder to fight wars you don't understand. Then, you start trashing hundreds of ships with ease (although that did get improved. The Negh'Var you face in the tutorial is portrayed as being "better" and a Vesta class joins you to assist). The most disturbing scene I experienced in "everything old is new" - when the barfight starts I enter the room and point my proton gun at a devidian and initiate the ghost busters proton stream - it jumps to neighbouring starfleet personnel and civilian, desintegrating them. Speaking of "don't interfere the timeline"... XD
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    farmallm wrote: »
    There is still hope. They reworked the KDF Negh'Var into a more offensive ship. So they can do a "Mirror" version for the Galaxy R and the Galaxy X. And make them more offensive.

thats what ive got most of my hope on frankly, a mirror galaxy r (and ktinga) next lock box. this box had sci LTC, ENS tac cheyenne and neghvar, so the next box im hoping has tac LTC, sci ENS galaxy (and ktinga), seeing as those are the counterparts of this box's mirror ships.

if the concern is that a mirror version of a c store ship is a step too far, even one as bad as the galaxy R, dont make it a version of the actual galaxy R, make it a mirror version of the tier 4 galaxy with tier 5 stats. so no sep console, and those 2 terrible tier 4 ship costumes lol. you can finally use those at end game, oh joy :D
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    I recently created a new Fed toon and noticed that as well, it's worse than a few years ago. At first, like I said, the new tutorial suggests you just finished Starship Troopers basic training and are sent off as cannon fodder to fight wars you don't understand. Then, you start trashing hundreds of ships with ease (although that did get improved. The Negh'Var you face in the tutorial is portrayed as being "better" and a Vesta class joins you to assist). The most disturbing scene I experienced in "everything old is new" - when the barfight starts I enter the room and point my proton gun at a devidian and initiate the ghost busters proton stream - it jumps to neighbouring starfleet personnel and civilian, desintegrating them. Speaking of "don't interfere the timeline"... XD

I really like the phaser pistol you get from that series that vaporize everyone as long as you get the last shot.

Yea I wouldnt guess killing everyone being a big deal for the Klinks except maybe timeline missions but feels weird on fed side to just vaporize and blow up ships left and right lol. Nothing more canon then leaving a star system with enough salvage floating around to get the Ferengi to come in after I leave for all the salvage.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    whamhammer1whamhammer1 Member Posts: 2,290 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    neo1nx wrote: »
    hehe, well we got that in game, in pvp when 2 cruiser fight in 1vs1;)

While there should be more mission (not STF, Fleet Action, or PvP) content that allows for disabling of ships, keep in mind that the setting is a during a war. When one has a ship from the other side attacking them, unless the objective is to capture them for some reason (intel, supplies, new "secret" equipment), the objective should be to send that ship home in as many small pieces as possible, not to just cripple a ship and create more work for a crew that is already being taxed by the stressors of combat and the possibility of their imminent demise. It might sound "noble" to disable the enemy ship, but if left to their own devices, they are assuredly coming back to kill another Fed' crew, it might not be yours, but a friends or a brothers/sisters instead.

As far as "murdering", with very few exceptions, your being shot at. Now where I come from that's a pretty hostile action and shooting back (presumably killing them) is self defense, not murder.
This discussion has been closed.