test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

What is your beef with the Galaxy Cryptic?

Comments

• Options
    yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    sevmrage wrote: »
    Guys, looks like you might need to face it.

age03 trolled you all again.

Successful troll is indeed successful.

Agreed.

/10char
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)
  • Options
    feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Electronic warfare in Star Trek was not shown in TOS as they did not grasp that it even existed back in the 60's. The best were isolating Nomad from the computer, breaking V'ger's connection to the computer, ship prefix codes that allow remote operation, Iconian virus (complete with wipe and restore subnotes. Geordi acted like this was extraordinary.), Data isolating all ship systems when recalled by Soong, DS9 had the old intrusion counter measure (And again Star Fleet showed they don't understand hostile programs by putting an unknown and undeletable program to the main computer to be 'looked at later'.), The alien computer life form Pup, and Eddington's hack of DS9 and Defiant.

Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
    Network engineers are not ship designers.
    Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.
  • Options
    silverashes1silverashes1 Member Posts: 192 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    skollulfr wrote: »
    "complacency field generators". installed on every starship, making anyone in proximity too complacent to function intelligently.

explains a lot.
    and is about as insidious as i would expect of the federation.

dont forget the ***** projectors they auto activate when any faction other then federation gets somthing good
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    My name is Orangeitis...

and I support leaving the Galaxy alone and instead revamping gameplay so that tanks actually tanking is useful!

Who's with me? :3
    Guys, looks like you might need to face it.

age03 trolled you all again.

Successful troll is indeed successful.
    I remember a time when differing viewpoints weren't considered tricks just to stir responses from others.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    orangeitis wrote: »

I remember a time when differing viewpoints weren't considered tricks just to stir responses from others.

Different points of view and adding something completely random are two differnt things.

Posting a video of a Bridge commander mod where a Constitution blows up a Galaxy and a defiant does not prove anything, nor does it add anything constructive to this thread.
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    yreodred wrote: »
    Different points of view and adding something completely random are two differnt things.

Posting a video of a Bridge commander mod where a Constitution blows up a Galaxy and a defiant does not prove anything, nor does it add anything constructive to this thread.
    Of course it doesn't add anything, but assuming that age03 realizes that for certain is kinda jumping the gun here IMO. If you feel that he is trolling, report and move on. Commenting on it will only add you into the mix and if this gets out of hand, you might be punished by a mod too. But bringing up the fact that you think he's trolling will only make him feel very, very horrible if he isn't in fact trolling. And no, that 'punishment' IMO is too harsh for a crime that one wasn't even aware of.

There's no good reason to bring up the possibility of someone trolling at all.
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    feiqa wrote: »
    Electronic warfare in Star Trek was not shown in TOS as they did not grasp that it even existed back in the 60's. The best were isolating Nomad from the computer, breaking V'ger's connection to the computer, ship prefix codes that allow remote operation, Iconian virus (complete with wipe and restore subnotes. Geordi acted like this was extraordinary.), Data isolating all ship systems when recalled by Soong, DS9 had the old intrusion counter measure (And again Star Fleet showed they don't understand hostile programs by putting an unknown and undeletable program to the main computer to be 'looked at later'.), The alien computer life form Pup, and Eddington's hack of DS9 and Defiant.

Of course that's the out-of-universe explanation, I'm sure we all know that. But it still stands: It was never shown to be a thing at all. Thus, it is no part of Star Trek aside from command codes and physically linking to computers. You can explain that by either systems have excellent protection or are at least partly closed off but it doesn't change the fact that nobody really did that. And until someone wriotes a new series where they use E-warfare to a great degree that point still stands.

That's basically how canon works :D That's btw the same reason why blasters in Star Wars are ballistic weapons: In one scene in the movie (yes, THE movie) Luke Skywalker fires a blaster close to the camera. You can see shells ejecting from the weapon (because they used blanks while shooting the scene, obviously) - tadaa, blasters are ballistic weapons firing a shell that generates a forcefield or something. People will not like that and start retconning, but that really doesn't change a thing :D At least I personally refuse to accept retcons for example the "explanation" why Klingons in TOS looked different. It was due to limited budget, I don't need that explained. "We don't talk about that" was Worf's onl valid explanation of the event, period. No need to make some sort of stupid retcon twenty years later, just honour the material and keep going :D
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    I just had an idea and wanted to let that bounce off you guys.

In canon, most of the times the ships only used their two main arrays; broadsiding wasnt really a thing. What if a large cruiser for example would just do more damage if it would only use it's forward arc, essentially bringing single beams en par with DBBs? What would it bring to the table, what would it break?
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    angrytarg wrote: »
    Of course that's the out-of-universe explanation, I'm sure we all know that. But it still stands: It was never shown to be a thing at all. Thus, it is no part of Star Trek aside from command codes and physically linking to computers. You can explain that by either systems have excellent protection or are at least partly closed off but it doesn't change the fact that nobody really did that. And until someone wriotes a new series where they use E-warfare to a great degree that point still stands.

That's basically how canon works :D That's btw the same reason why blasters in Star Wars are ballistic weapons: In one scene in the movie (yes, THE movie) Luke Skywalker fires a blaster close to the camera. You can see shells ejecting from the weapon (because they used blanks while shooting the scene, obviously) - tadaa, blasters are ballistic weapons firing a shell that generates a forcefield or something. People will not like that and start retconning, but that really doesn't change a thing :D At least I personally refuse to accept retcons for example the "explanation" why Klingons in TOS looked different. It was due to limited budget, I don't need that explained. "We don't talk about that" was Worf's onl valid explanation of the event, period. No need to make some sort of stupid retcon twenty years later, just honour the material and keep going :D

Going to reply to two of your posts in one so bear with me please.
    My initial for TOS is meta, but sadly it is why they don't show it there. However it does not explain how in later versions where computer knowledge of information warfare does exist, they treat it as a revelation and an oddity and not a way of doing things.
    I would almost think Romulans would fly around in a cloaked ship and just hack into other races computers to heist all their data.

As to what would be lost making forward arcs act as DB and not use side arcs.
    Stop calling these ships cruisers and slap a propeller on them is a close approximation of what would happen. The dog fighting would get far more extreme. And cruiser classes with their low turn rates would be eaten for breakfast.

• Options
    sevmragesevmrage Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    orangeitis wrote: »
    Of course it doesn't add anything, but assuming that age03 realizes that for certain is kinda jumping the gun here IMO. If you feel that he is trolling, report and move on. Commenting on it will only add you into the mix and if this gets out of hand, you might be punished by a mod too. But bringing up the fact that you think he's trolling will only make him feel very, very horrible if he isn't in fact trolling. And no, that 'punishment' IMO is too harsh for a crime that one wasn't even aware of.

There's no good reason to bring up the possibility of someone trolling at all.

Here's the rub.

The guy posts in this thread periodically, calls the Galaxy garbage, sometimes uses BS evidence in an attempt to back up his claim, gets bored, and wanders off. Sometimes dofingcomrade will post in here, call us idots, argue, and then move on. polaronbeam1? same thing.

If we reported every person who wandered into this thread and gave us hell for liking the Galaxy, we would in time end up reporting at least half of the users who are on this forum. That would eventually get this thread shut down, causing a second thread to be started, only for those same people to jump right it, causing more reports.

It ends up being a vicious circle of hate and fail. Might as well let it go and see if we can break a world record with our thread, eh?
    Weyland-Yutani Joint Space Venture - Always open to new members!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My name is Rage, and I too support a revised Galaxy family.
    khayuung wrote: »
    Firstly, be proud! You're part of the few, the stubborn, the Federation Dreadnought Captains.
  • Options
    dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I just had an idea and wanted to let that bounce off you guys.

In canon, most of the times the ships only used their two main arrays; broadsiding wasnt really a thing. What if a large cruiser for example would just do more damage if it would only use it's forward arc, essentially bringing single beams en par with DBBs? What would it bring to the table, what would it break?

the aft array hardpoints should just also be on the saucer main array. just like they are on the saucer pet. in the show, they never fire those dinky secondary hull arrays when the main array was in arc. let the secondary hull fire beams when you separate, and then put hardpoints on those small arrays on the neck too, not just the ones by the torpedo launcher too.

a 2 part synergy of the AMS and sep console should give a built in +50% buff to beam damage built in, that works like a tac console, when the ship isn't separated. when separated, a smaller in effect but still significant buff to weapons training, so fighting separated would favor a more diverse, higher maneuverability favoring weapons load out.
  • Options
    gpgtxgpgtx Member Posts: 1,579 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    they did use the smaller arrays with the main array a few times though when they needed the little extra punch. the D did it a few times when they fought the borg but for the most part they just fired multiple beams form the main array as shown in DS9 when the 2 galaxies where attacking the cardassian galors
    victoriasig_zps23c45368.jpg
  • Options
    dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    gpgtx wrote: »
    they did use the smaller arrays with the main array a few times though when they needed the little extra punch. the D did it a few times when they fought the borg but for the most part they just fired multiple beams form the main array as shown in DS9 when the 2 galaxies where attacking the cardassian galors

when they fought the borg, they were trying to hit them with as many frequencies as possible to get around the adaptation, so they just fired every array that had line of sight with the cube. against that galor, that was more like a couple low power shots do disable. the ships were so close together, a core breach could have taken both ships out. if a galaxy class really means business, its going to be fireing 1 shot at a time, full array discharges. like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=H_XbWq49vUM
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    when they fought the borg, they were trying to hit them with as many frequencies as possible to get around the adaptation, so they just fired every array that had line of sight with the cube. against that galor, that was more like a couple low power shots do disable. the ships were so close together, a core breach could have taken both ships out. if a galaxy class really means business, its going to be fireing 1 shot at a time, full array discharges. like this

Nice observation, indeed.
    It seems your explaination is perfectly right.

Maybe the galaxy class should get a inherent Beam Overload, or they should just make the G-R ship model availlable to the G-X. Since its Phaser lance could work as the Galaxys main phaser array as well.
    (to make it more accurate they could lower the damage output and widen it's arc, not to speak of the CD)

By doing this Cryptics devs would keep the GCS down at the low end of the damage spectrum, but leave it a unique nice on its own.
    (AND it would be a more than welcome and overdue addition)

A tale of two Picards
  • Options
    nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    edited January 2014

This video reminds me a lot of what happens in game when the Galaxy lumbers about and attacks another ship. You fire everything you have, but because of the Galaxy's gimped console and bridge officer layout you do no damage. :P
    Tza0PEl.png
  • Options
    neo1nxneo1nx Member Posts: 962 Arc User
    edited January 2014

about all it would do to a galaxy would be to slow it down & maybe TRIBBLE with its targeting a bit.

ho god!!
    you found the answer, that is what have happened to every galaxy class ship in this game ( slow down and TRIBBLE targetting ).
    quick! we must forward this to cryptic so they could make the neccesary repair XD!
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    nikephorus wrote: »
    This video reminds me a lot of what happens in game when the Galaxy lumbers about and attacks another ship. You fire everything you have, but because of the Galaxy's gimped console and bridge officer layout you do no damage. :P

Again this is one of many ocasions where the big -D was facing an enemy that coudln't be beaten (by no one).
    I think it's exemplary for it to look like it would have little firepower for many people (including the devs obviously) but it is quite the contrary. Other ships wouldn't stand a chance againt some enemies the Ent -D was facing.
    To kill it by a old BoP was more than a insult for it's fans IMO.

A tale of two Picards
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    feiqa wrote: »
    (...)

As to what would be lost making forward arcs act as DB and not use side arcs.
    Stop calling these ships cruisers and slap a propeller on them is a close approximation of what would happen. The dog fighting would get far more extreme. And cruiser classes with their low turn rates would be eaten for breakfast.

I thought about is as a "on-demand" switch. You really don't change anything, except the fact that if a target enters the forward arc of the ship all weapons do more damage. That would make a cruiser's front deadly and would require you to flank it (use the flanking ability raiders got) to avoid the main firepower.
    (...)

a 2 part synergy of the AMS and sep console should give a built in +50% buff to beam damage built in, that works like a tac console, when the ship isn't separated. when separated, a smaller in effect but still significant buff to weapons training, so fighting separated would favor a more diverse, higher maneuverability favoring weapons load out.

That's a nice idea as well, although +50% would be overkill. Around 17-20% would be accurate to reflect another tac console :)
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    I thought about is as a "on-demand" switch. You really don't change anything, except the fact that if a target enters the forward arc of the ship all weapons do more damage. That would make a cruiser's front deadly and would require you to flank it (use the flanking ability raiders got) to avoid the main firepower.

That's a nice idea as well, although +50% would be overkill. Around 17-20% would be accurate to reflect another tac console :)

Ahh, but I think they already have that. The flanking I was reading said if in the rear arc. Which for most ships is the weakest arc for return fire already. (Kinda makes the term flanking a misnomer.)
    The idea of all other weapons stop firing and add their damage to the one weapon would make the dreadnaught phaser lance kinda nasty though.

• Options
    edited January 2014
    Here's the rub.

The guy posts in this thread periodically, calls the Galaxy garbage, sometimes uses BS evidence in an attempt to back up his claim, gets bored, and wanders off. Sometimes dofingcomrade will post in here, call us idots, argue, and then move on. polaronbeam1? same thing.

If we reported every person who wandered into this thread and gave us hell for liking the Galaxy, we would in time end up reporting at least half of the users who are on this forum. That would eventually get this thread shut down, causing a second thread to be started, only for those same people to jump right it, causing more reports.

It ends up being a vicious circle of hate and fail. Might as well let it go and see if we can break a world record with our thread, eh?
    Fair enough, but I just don't want you guys to get reported because of the flames you might produce from someone you suspect is a troll.
  • Options
    nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    yreodred wrote: »
    Again this is one of many ocasions where the big -D was facing an enemy that coudln't be beaten (by no one).
    I think it's exemplary for it to look like it would have little firepower for many people (including the devs obviously) but it is quite the contrary. Other ships wouldn't stand a chance againt some enemies the Ent -D was facing.
    To kill it by a old BoP was more than a insult for it's fans IMO.

Yeah I know the Husnock Warship couldn't be beaten since it was more of less an illusion created by Kevin Uxbridge. BTW Here's what should have happened to that BoP (I posted this before) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGAS-vKdKqA
    Tza0PEl.png
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    nikephorus wrote: »
    BTW Here's what should have happened to that BoP (I posted this before) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGAS-vKdKqA

Absolutly. :D

• Options
    edited January 2014
    I had another thought on weapons and how to kinda bring it closer to canon. Remember it's just a thought experiment, but what about having weapons actually take different amount of space on a ship?

A phaser array like one on the Galaxy's saucer is way bigger than a single cannon. So, what if a phaser array would take three weapon slots, a DBB take two and a single emitter take on etc.?

Of course, a real phaser array would have to have a ~300 degree firing arc and do much more damage than a single beam or a cannon and so forth.

I'm a bit tired, that's why I'm a bit lazy with explanations, sorry about that. But heres the thread :Dhttp://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=975371
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    I had another thought on weapons and how to kinda bring it closer to canon. Remember it's just a thought experiment, but what about having weapons actually take different amount of space on a ship?

A phaser array like one on the Galaxy's saucer is way bigger than a single cannon. So, what if a phaser array would take three weapon slots, a DBB take two and a single emitter take on etc.?

Of course, a real phaser array would have to have a ~300 degree firing arc and do much more damage than a single beam or a cannon and so forth.

I'm a bit tired, that's why I'm a bit lazy with explanations, sorry about that. But heres the thread :Dhttp://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=975371

As long as large ships get more or bigger slots than small ships it is viable. As it is now anything that can go in a Galaxy can also be mounted on a shuttle.

• Options
    khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    startrek never really showed remote cyberwarfare attacks at all.
    outside of the destruction of the yamamoto, i cant remember anything besides the borg hooking themselves up to a terminal to attack electronically.

with the communications & cumputer tech on a pfp ship, they have all the tech they need attack electronically, even if the crew are too stupid to do so.

Im pretty sure that's what Kirk and Spock did to USS Reliant and Khan in WOK.
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • Options
    jarfarujarfaru Member Posts: 572 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Wow over 500 pages and its still at the top of the board and cryptic still ignores it.
    Just amazing
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    jarfaru wrote: »
    Wow over 500 pages and its still at the top of the board and cryptic still ignores it.
    Just amazing
    Maybe they know something that we don't.
This discussion has been closed.