test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

***The Official Login Queue Thread!*** (Threads about queues will be moved here)

Comments

• perfectcrypticperfectcryptic Member Posts: 266 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    My Romulan toon has been able to log in.. guess my lag is + 6 months :)
  • cptvanorcptvanor Member Posts: 274 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    byzanathos wrote: »
    well you think they should have expected an influx of players and probably would have put more hardware in, I guess they underestimated.

Again, and speaking as someone who works in IT. You are wrong, and clearly have idea what you're talking about.

It would of cost them a huge amount of money to double the capacity of the server, and that would only really be useful for perhaps the next 4 to 6 hours. After that you're unlikely to see much in the way of queues.
  • thor759thor759 Member Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    OK there we have it, because of poor performance you reduce the capacity, looks like a major network reconfiguration has been implemented on the fly - server performance has been patchy over the last few months, looks like some decent load balancing is needed with reserve capacity available. i.e. spend some money on improving the player experience!
  • zedomegazedomega Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    2315/3964 now...
  • pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited January 2013
    We're increasing the cap on the severs steadily. You should start to see the queue go down and you should get through it quicker.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Re-quoting myself ----^

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • hoovergkmmchoovergkmmc Member Posts: 161 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Yup - seeing the queue decreasing rapidly.

Still think it's weird that I got queued just for switching characters. Kinda a screwy queue system, it seems to me...
  • lolimpicardlolimpicard Member Posts: 309
    edited January 2013
    I think it has reached the point where I can safely say:
    A veteran sawmill operator still has way too many fingers left to count how many fu<ks I still give about this game.

This doesn't mean I'll ragequit now baawbqq, no. My care was slowly worn away so I wouldn't even care to quit in a huff.
    It means that I'll finish my business as far as I can be bothered, do the minimum of what appeals to me about the game yet - and apart from that: stay the hell away, especially with the wallet - and find another activity to fill the timeslot.

Maybe someday Cryptic gets its ***** together.
    As a person who started with F2P, quit this game mid-year and then came back before Christmas I guess I simply returned too early.

#EDIT: I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT WAS MERGED HOW BY WHOM, BUT THIS BREAK OF THE POSTS CONTEXT IS NOT MY FAULT. IT'S THE MODERATORS.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    He's dead, Jim.
  • theonerussian762theonerussian762 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    3000 to go, wow, really? pwe.....
  • phantomeightphantomeight Member Posts: 567 Bug Hunter
    edited January 2013
    EDIT: This was merged from another thread...

The free to play matrix clearly states that you get all of the SAME features and priorities as regular gold subscribers: http://sto.perfectworld.com/about/freetoplay/features-matrix

You don't get to login before Gold who logs in before free players... You share the same priority level as Gold. If you expected different it's because you did not research your purchase well.
  • martok16martok16 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Has anyone heard of SecondLife?, it's a 3D virtual world, that is a very close similarity to STO, and yet there is NO login queue and their servers currently (at the time of writing this post) have 58,336 user online simultaneously, and I have seen even higher numbers up into to 5 figures depending on the time of day and if it's a weekend, and yep, NO login queue.

So, Cryptic, if Linden Lab can do it for SecondLife, then you can for STO.
  • zedomegazedomega Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    ...wait, I thought Gold players had priority in the queue. How... and 'server not responding' before I even load anything up? :l
  • rustiswordzrustiswordz Member Posts: 824 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    gone from 10K to under 1000 in 5 mins they are sorting it.
    Monkey see, Monkey do. Monkey flings Feathered Monkey poo... :D
  • rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    valoreah wrote: »
    To be honest, and not trying to be insulting here, but you don't quite understand the economics either. I've a LTS to STO, yet I know of free players who have spent way, way more in the C-Store than I ever have on my LTS.

Indeed, but those sums have trickled into Cryptics coffers in a fairly random way.

Life time subs and monthly subs are a more stable revenue stream, allowing Cryptic to make decisions that require cash in a more sensible way.

Personally I've dropped about as much money on the game as I would have done for an Lts.

However, instead of the perks I would get for that, i got other things. Zen, which turned into things like cool ships, keys, respecs, etc.

My point is, that priority login has always been in the shop window, alongside many other things we could buy. Us FTp players who have spent money have just chosen to buy other things. We cant complain when we dont get the benefit of something we were offered but declined to buy, surely?
  • perfectcrypticperfectcryptic Member Posts: 266 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Yup - seeing the queue decreasing rapidly.

Still think it's weird that I got queued just for switching characters. Kinda a screwy queue system, it seems to me...

I believe the 'change toon' is just a workaround to stop logging out but you do actually log out (I guess). Agreed though.
  • themariethemarie Member Posts: 1,055 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Just want to point out: THEY ARE NOT GOING TO RUN OUT OF SHIPS.

Instead of zerg-rushing the server why not wait until TOMORROW?
  • tsurutafan01tsurutafan01 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    themarie wrote: »
    Just want to point out: THEY ARE NOT GOING TO RUN OUT OF SHIPS.

Instead of zerg-rushing the server why not wait until TOMORROW?

Why do morons line up overnight to be the FIRST to see some new movie when it will be the same movie on Saturday that it was on Friday?

People aren't very bright.

"We are smart." - Grebnedlog

Member of Alliance Central Command/boq botlhra'ghom
  • hoovergkmmchoovergkmmc Member Posts: 161 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I believe the 'change toon' is just a workaround to stop logging out but you do actually log out (I guess). Agreed though.

Well - guess I'm saying that in other games I've seen, login queues are per account, not per character within the account...
  • martok16martok16 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    wow, now I know it's time to move on, and play something else other than STO.

First, I get "Disconnected from game server: Timeout" loads of times, then I get "Can not get map names from map manager" (too many times to count) and have to replay missions because of it, and now, they put in a login queue, and removed foundry missions,, what's next?
  • bluedarkybluedarky Member Posts: 548 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Ive been here since a few days after launch i think...and after a few months i got lifetime sub.today i tried to login and for the first time in these 3 years i got a message saying something about login que.Obviously that totally enraged me.I just dont get it.Ive spent god knows how many money on this game over these 3 years...(also a big spender on the c-store,not just a lifetimer,yeah ive spent a lot)...and here i am wondering why cant i play?The way i see it i should have priority in logining in and that is not unfair for any other f2ps cause im a lifetime sub.Isnt that right?...i was at 3120 position for login.Were those 3120s subscribers?...

then again i understand that ,hey its the first hours after the beginning of the anniversary.then again im a lifetimer!yes i'll say it as many times as i can cause i spent money on this game when it was most needed.Why cant i celebrate with my fleet?How did the servers fill?what priority do lifetimers have in logining in?...

yeah im b****ing like a little baby but come on,it drives me crazy to think that f2p newbies are in there partying and im here doing nothing considaring my 3 years subscription.

so yeah...thanks for reading this and hopefully issues like these will be resolved positively(yeah f2p guys are people too,but i would expect something better than having to wait for 3000 people in order to login)

Simply put it's like an exclusive club with 2 queues, one for VIPs and one for members of the public.

When the club isn't full they let in people from both queues.

When it is, the VIPs get to go in first as people come out.

It doesn't mean that security goes in and boots people out so the VIPs can get in. If you got in before it was full, you get to stay, if not, you get to wait.
    thor759 wrote: »
    OK there we have it, because of poor performance you reduce the capacity, looks like a major network reconfiguration has been implemented on the fly - server performance has been patchy over the last few months, looks like some decent load balancing is needed with reserve capacity available. i.e. spend some money on improving the player experience!

Where are people getting this theory that Cryptic reduced the server capacity from exactly?
  • tsurutafan01tsurutafan01 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    themarie wrote: »

Where are people getting this theory that Cryptic reduced the server capacity from exactly?

It's from the same Reliable Sources that convinced a bunch of people that the Romulans will be playable in Season 8 after a solid year of developer talk saying repeatedly there is zero chance of Romulans as a playable faction before Season 9. The secret Reliable Sources that can see the real truth of the universe hidden within this elaborate web of lies designed specifically to confuse YOU.

Or something.

"We are smart." - Grebnedlog

Member of Alliance Central Command/boq botlhra'ghom
  • dragonscale1107dragonscale1107 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    QQ QQ QQ You people must have never gone through a major content update on WoW in the old days. Place would be busted for a week or more off and on. Legions of fanboys scrambling for a ship they will be able to get for awhile are hosing the server. Just chill the hell out. Go watch some hentai or something...perhaps get some sun... leave the basement for a minute.. It'll be ok nerdrage fanboys I promise.
  • mrsinister82mrsinister82 Member Posts: 83 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    All i have to say on Login que.... Why as a lifer am i in one?.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • crusader2007crusader2007 Member Posts: 1,883 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    rinkster wrote: »
    Indeed, but those sums have trickled into Cryptics coffers in a fairly random way.

Life time subs and monthly subs are a more stable revenue stream, allowing Cryptic to make decisions that require cash in a more sensible way.

Personally I've dropped about as much money on the game as I would have done for an Lts.

However, instead of the perks I would get for that, i got other things. Zen, which turned into things like cool ships, keys, respecs, etc.

My point is, that priority login has always been in the shop window, alongside many other things we could buy. Us FTp players who have spent money have just chosen to buy other things. We cant complain when we dont get the benefit of something we were offered but declined to buy, surely?

So what are you complaining about. You should be happy to be F2P and dont criticize those who "really pay the bills". You are here because of the rest of sub/LTS paid for it originally...please respect others if you want to be respected as well...look at others F2P models that went bust (SWOTR)...we only ask what is fair and getting priority queue is not a right but something that is owed to us since the inception of this game :D
    DUwNP.gif

edited January 2013
    All i have to say on Login que.... Why as a lifer am i in one?.

See my previous post in this thread.

Also if people will notice they've taken the Foundry completely offline, chances are they're running the Foundry server as another game server to increase the games capacity.

You know, instead of this craziness about them lowering the capacity and then increasing it again.
  • interestedguyinterestedguy Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Is this a joke?

Really, though, the way the game is set up and instanced and all makes it seem like there are not too many people in the game.

This is especially true because NPCs are running around in ground areas, so when you see a group of players it is easy to assume they are NPCs, and it is true because in space areas you mainly see the name and the ships look very small from a distance.

I wonder how many people actually do play this game. A 3k queue is a fairly impressive amount of people.
    edited January 2013
    Is this a joke?

Really, though, the way the game is set up and instanced and all makes it seem like there are not too many people in the game.

This is especially true because NPCs are running around in ground areas, so when you see a group of players it is easy to assume they are NPCs, and it is true because in space areas you mainly see the name and the ships look very small from a distance.

I wonder how many people actually do play this game. A 3k queue is a fairly impressive amount of people.

It was apparently up to 12K before they increased the capacity
  • captainzeratualcaptainzeratual Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    well you missed the 12k que earlier...and I love the QQ...its not the end of the world...its a good time to put a pizza in the oven...take a shower...play with the g/f...something...but the ques times are much better than earlier.
  • trellabortrellabor Member Posts: 209 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    So what are you complaining about. You should be happy to be F2P and dont criticize those who "really pay the bills". You are here because of the rest of sub/LTS paid for it originally...please respect others if you want to be respected as well...look at others F2P models that went bust (SWOTR)...we only ask what is fair and getting priority queue is not a right but something that is owed to us since the inception of this game :D

This game is NOT Free-to-Play. It's Pay-to-Play with an option to play Free. NO game is truly F2P as long as it maintains a Sub model.

Take your own advice, and don't TRIBBLE on those who choose the F2P route. Those of us who did still contribute a fair amount of cash to this game, some in excess of the $300 those of you who cry havoc about being in a queue because 'I paid for this game'. You already got more than your money's worth as paying the $15 for 3 years = $540. I've paid at least that much in ships, keys, and other virtual TRIBBLE. Nobody put a gun to your head to make you spend that Lifer sub fee, so please, with all due respect please calm that noise. I pre-ordered, I subbed when it came out, then I quit for a while - my choice. Your money isn't worth more than the next person's, and the finger pointing for the queue in the first place should be pointed at Cryptic - not your fellow players who are stuck in it with you.
    You are here because of the rest of sub/LTS paid for it originally

Quite possibly the most ridiculous statement I've ever seen on the forums for this game.
    ____
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The o3 - Killed you good
  • rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited January 2013

Oh dear Crusader.

I think that when you see the phrase 'ftp' something snaps and you inexplicably stop reading.

The point i was consistently making was that FTP players should NOT complain about LTS players getting priority. That, even those of us who have dropped as much money as a subscription on the game, still dont get that priority because we bought something else. We supported the game by buying something other than a subscription. We bought zen.

I am personally baffled by those ftp based players who seem to think they should get something we didnt pay for, that is an actual service offered as capable of being paid for.

The TOS constitution ship interior is part of a bundle. If I buy the DS9 bundle i dont get to complain if my TOS Connie Tier 1 ship doesnt have the interior.
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,115 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    jurace wrote: »
    I've played most MMOs that have been released since Everquest in 98 and I cannot remember ever sitting in a queue to log in.

Then you never EVER played "World of War Craft" - did you? ;)
    (Oh, and EQ released in April of 1999 BTW - I remember because I was there.)
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."