test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Got tier 5 - REALLY ANGRY

partsourcepartsource Member Posts: 0 Arc User
I fought and fought and fought some more to get to tier 5, hoping I could finally unlock some really cool MK XII set. I was EXTREMELY shocked to find out after all that work, how much those kits cost!!! Considering the difference from any other Mk, what's the point in investing in that?

I was expecting that because it requires borg processors, it would require less dilithium or marks. I even read somewhere on the forum that it was 8000 dil per component and 10 processors. THAT would have been reasonable.

Come on, this is just TOO persistent IMO. And now with dil-zen values being messed up, I wouldn't even consider 'paying' for dilithium.

THIS IS WHY people won't pay for this game.
Post edited by partsource on

Comments

• hereticknight085hereticknight085 Member Posts: 3,783 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    partsource wrote: »
    THIS IS WHY people won't pay for this game.

And yet I still see hundreds of thousands of zen on the exchange, and dozens (if not hundreds) of subscribers and lifers. So yeah, people obviously don't pay for this game.
    It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once. B)
  • partsourcepartsource Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    There are many that don't. Now if this game was tweaked a bit more, fine tuned, and enriched a bit, then MANY MORE people, like myself, would be investing money into it. This reputation system is only one part of that.

Don't make it sound like I'm the only one, 'cause I'm not.

As for the Mk gear, I already had the MkXI Maco stuff from pre-season 7. The difference in performance from the MKXII does not make the massive cost worth the effort. Since I am about extra shield strength, my MKXII positron deflector off the market is better for me than the MACO equivalent. Only real advantage would be the extra hull points, and a graviton beam.

STO stopped being fun to play, and became a lets grind for the next kit item. In a matter of months.
  • hippiejonhippiejon Member Posts: 1,581 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    partsource wrote: »
    ...STO stopped being fun to play...

Then why are you still playing ?
  • firekeeperhufirekeeperhu Member Posts: 416 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    3000 mark, 100k dilithium, for one full XII space set.. don't you think it's a little too much? i think it is. fortunately, i had those sets before S7 with some of my toons, and because of the pricing, i don't really plan to farm out with the others, nor buy zen for trade it to dili, just to pay for those high prices.
    <3 Defiant <3

RnD and upgrade needs less RNG. Less lottery. Something has to change.
  • cmdrskyfallercmdrskyfaller Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Since the bonuses the sets give dont increase it is really not worth that much to get a mk12 compared to a mk11.

individual stats on the mk12 items are a lil bit better but its not significant enough to be worth all that grind effort unless you really have nothing else to do.

If the KHG bonus for example, was +25% to torpedo at Mk10, 30% bonus at Mk11 and 35% bonus at Mk12 then yeah itd be worth the grind.

But theyre all the same so.. no need to bother.
  • diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    The main issue IMO is that T5 sets get a really insignificant stat boost over the Mk X and XI set, which is lame if you consider how expensive it is. There's been an update about set bonuses but i've yet to see any difference... :rolleyes:
    Lenny Barre, lvl 60 DC. 18k.
    God, lvl 60 CW. 17k.
  • natejam101natejam101 Member Posts: 172 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    The REP system is PWE's way of saying %^$# you. If you ever played prior to Season 7, you would know that most of the gear you get in the REP system was attainable via Borg Salvage from STF's.

Now some people will ***** about how it took too long , maybe months to get one piece, but I would prefer to have that old system back. I enjoyed q'ing up for an STF knowing that there was the slightest chance I could leave there with a prototype borg salvage :)

Now with this rep system in place, this grindfest resource sink the bean counters over at PWE came up with is a joke. They are charging you not only your time everyday. but now they are asking you to fork over the large amounts of DIL, vendor/replicator items *Energy Credits*, and these marks...

You are being asked to pay for now what we used to get from simply putting our time into an STF, no matter how long it took, it was free. And it has to be done on every character...welcome to "PWE is forcing us into this time channel/resource sink show".

If you choose not to do it, you are cutting yourself off from these passive abilities, the chance to own MK XII MACO stuff, romulan stuff. I did the tier 5 grind on 1 of my 5 characters, and thats all that is going to happen. My other toons can live wtih elite fleet gear, because frankly, the fleet gear is better anyways..

What really makes me nervous is how Stahl wants to add more of this REP TRIBBLE later in the game...omg Please do not do this. Make the loot work like other MMO's. Chance for nice stuff to drop off bosses. or bring back our salvage.
  • captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    the most elite gear in the game costs hardly anything compared to some MMO's, and compared to what it was. some people grinded for a whole year and did not get what they wanted. I think I already have about 4 different sets of XII gear already and the system has only been out a few months.

i do agree the step up from XI to XII is minimal and XII gear could do with a boost but you dont have to pay for anything. play some elite STF's and you will gain enough resources in no time to buy the stuff you want.
  • natejam101natejam101 Member Posts: 172 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    the most elite gear in the game costs hardly anything compared to some MMO's, and compared to what it was. some people grinded for a whole year and did not get what they wanted. I think I already have about 4 different sets of XII gear already and the system has only been out a few months.

i do agree the step up from XI to XII is minimal and XII gear could do with a boost but you dont have to pay for anything. play some elite STF's and you will gain enough resources in no time to buy the stuff you want.

Saying that someone could go for a year without an item is stupid. I have NEVER heard of someone going through an entire year without anything.

4 sets? Do you feel special knowing that you just spent large amounts of DIL and other resources for something you could have got for free other than time pre season 7? Lets face it, I am not the only one who agrees that the REP system is lame. Its a deliberate time/resource sink designed to keep people like you occupied while PWE sits back and laughs at the fact you think they actually created "new" content for you.

In order for that to happen, the RNG would have to HATE the player, period. And, that player must have only played 1 STF every 2 weeks on a wednesday.

Sorry, I do not agree with you But if you want to keep drinkin that PWE koolaid, then keep on forkin over that DIL and the ton of other resources you have into the current and future REP systems, that way you can reinforce PWE's opinion that the REP system is a success...

Wow, anyways now that I am done responding to stupid people, what is the next order of business?
    edited January 2013
    natejam101 wrote: »
    Saying that someone could go for a year without an item is stupid. I have NEVER heard of someone going through an entire year without anything.

4 sets? Do you feel special knowing that you just spent large amounts of DIL and other resources for something you could have got for free other than time pre season 7? Lets face it, I am not the only one who agrees that the REP system is lame. Its a deliberate time/resource sink designed to keep people like you occupied while PWE sits back and laughs at the fact you think they actually created "new" content for you.

In order for that to happen, the RNG would have to HATE the player, period. And, that player must have only played 1 STF every 2 weeks on a wednesday.

Sorry, I do not agree with you But if you want to keep drinkin that PWE koolaid, then keep on forkin over that DIL and the ton of other resources you have into the current and future REP systems, that way you can reinforce PWE's opinion that the REP system is a success...

Wow, anyways now that I am done responding to stupid people, what is the next order of business?

Thanks for calling me stupid. it must make you feel special to be so insulting to people?

now onto your point. the XII gear was randomly dropped, and it was on specific STF missions. there were people, and i saw enough threads on it, complaining about how much they hated it and were not able to get the specific item they wanted. You could play a 1000 missions and not get the item you wanted as it was pure chance and that chance drop rate was so low.
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Since the bonuses the sets give dont increase it is really not worth that much to get a mk12 compared to a mk11.

This was supposed to have been addressed, no?

Jan 17th patch notes:

All Set Powers now scale with the set's Mark instead of using the player's level.
    -This will result in a slight boost to Mk XI Set Powers, and a larger boost to Mk XII Set Powers.
    -This change does not affect sets that are made up of items that do not have a level, such as the Aegis Space Set.
  • crappyturbocrappyturbo Member Posts: 201 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I will not play any mission on elite as I play for fun not for a challenge. As for the previous system of time only I am aware of 2 people that went months trying to get a needed item for the MACO mk XII set, the items ended up getting turned in because the new season came out. They love the current set up as do I as it allows anybody to get mk XII sets with a little effort and NO elite missions which was required for the MK XII gear as I recall because elite level missions were the only ones that dropped the required items for mk XII gear.
  • mandoknight89mandoknight89 Member Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Do you feel special knowing that you just spent large amounts of DIL and other resources for something you could have got for free other than time pre season 7?
    Time is all it costs. The EC cost is negligible (the 75k or whatever it costs to get the commodities can be gained quickly), the Borg Neural Processors are gained faster than you can spend them on equipment (meaning that you'll have a surplus to turn in for Dilithium), and the Dilithium and Omega Marks are handed out as time-based currency. Now there's just a soft 4-day barrier between each set piece because of the refining cap and the Dilithium cost, but you can thus reliably get any full space set within two weeks after hitting tier 5.
    They love the current set up as do I as it allows anybody to get mk XII sets with a little effort and NO elite missions which was required for the MK XII gear as I recall because elite level missions were the only ones that dropped the required items for mk XII gear.
    As far as I know, BNPs are only dropped on Elite. Am I mistaken?
    edited January 2013

As far as I know, BNPs are only dropped on Elite. Am I mistaken?

They drop as random rewards in normal as well, although the drop rate is pretty low as far as i can tell.
  • firekeeperhufirekeeperhu Member Posts: 416 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    it allows anybody to get mk XII sets with a little effort and NO elite missions

this is why this system is confusing and broken, top-quality, end-game gear should be obtainable only by playing end-game content (elite STFs in thins case). now if you see a pug on a mission, in full set, you can't be sure if he/she is a hardened vet, or just have a lot free time...
    <3 Defiant <3

RnD and upgrade needs less RNG. Less lottery. Something has to change.
  • lancemeszaroslancemeszaros Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I would prefer to have that old system back.

And I would prefer for you to toss your computer into the nearest dumpster. The old system was horrendous and not worth bringing back under any circumstances. The only things that should change with the current reputation system are having episodes handing out enough reputation that you can finish tier 1 by the time you hit the level cap, and making reputation account-wide (or at least account-wide on the same faction) instead of character specific. Or at the very least, making rep rewards bound to account and not bound to character.
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I would prefer to have that old system back.

Have to agree with this.

I miss Borg in a night. I miss Mk XI within a week or two. Without having to bother with folks thinking that an ESTF has to be completed under 5 minutes...

The new system...hrmm, I rerolled all four of my guys just before S7 (yeah, I kind of regret that - lol - but they were only a few weeks old anyway - still, they all had Borg or Mk XI sets)... here we are 2 months and 8 days later. None of them have any of the STF sets (it's silly to bother with the Mk X or Mk XI). Managed to get two to T4, two to T2... and I play so much less than I used to play.

I played for fun. I didn't play to login to a factory.
  • mandoknight89mandoknight89 Member Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Have to agree with this.

I miss Borg in a night. I miss Mk XI within a week or two. Without having to bother with folks thinking that an ESTF has to be completed under 5 minutes...

The new system...hrmm, I rerolled all four of my guys just before S7 (yeah, I kind of regret that - lol - but they were only a few weeks old anyway - still, they all had Borg or Mk XI sets)... here we are 2 months and 8 days later. None of them have any of the STF sets (it's silly to bother with the Mk X or Mk XI). Managed to get two to T4, two to T2... and I play so much less than I used to play.

I played for fun. I didn't play to login to a factory.

Yeah, the delay on the Mk X and XI stuff is annoying. I prefer the new system for getting high-end stuff, but the massive front-loading of effort for getting to that point brings out the merits of the old system... if we could contribute to the rep system while still leveling, that would probably help newbies immensely.
  • jjumetleyjjumetley Member Posts: 281 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    When I first heard about the new reputation system they were going to introduce I thought: "OK, so now it's time to take a grip on myself and obtain those sets".

You know what? I sat down, did 5 or 6 STFs a day for a month and I got all mark XII pieces of MACO, Omega and KHG space sets in a matter of a month on all six characters I had at that time.

Now don't tell me it was impossible to get does sets.
    SIX CHARACTERS!
    IN A MATTER OF A MONTH!
    TWO FULL MK XII SETS EACH!

It's clearly not a case of luck. You can say I was lucky those two times (and two times only) I got two set pieces during a day.
  • luxchristianluxchristian Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    a) There isn't any PVE content where you need the MKXII gear.
    b) Noone forces you to grind for it.
    c) profit

Really, where is the problem? One MKXII set is easily grinded in less than a month. If you don't want to grind, then take the fleet gear which can even be better.
  • luxchristianluxchristian Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I will not play any mission on elite as I play for fun not for a challenge. As for the previous system of time only I am aware of 2 people that went months trying to get a needed item for the MACO mk XII set, the items ended up getting turned in because the new season came out. They love the current set up as do I as it allows anybody to get mk XII sets with a little effort and NO elite missions which was required for the MK XII gear as I recall because elite level missions were the only ones that dropped the required items for mk XII gear.

Challenges are fun? And besides, where is the challenge on ESTF? They are easy.
  • admgreeradmgreer Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    in the old pre season 7 STF's it took me 8 months to finally get the Prototype Eng tech from Cure elite, I had 8 sets that were missing the Eng tech. So yes for some it took that long, And that is playing every day. Once i got my Jem bug I started getting prototype tech constantly and was able to complete 4 Maco and 4 omega XII sets, Perhaps the drops had something to do with DPS I dont know, I have also completed the Tier 5 system and have purchased all the reman, romulan, Borg and adaptive Maco sets, plus all the Romulan plasma weps, Somewhere in the order of 700-800k DIL. There are several ways to get 8000 DIl in about an hour or two on 6 toons. So I was pulling in 48k Dil a day and converting it to Zen then dumping it into my main toon. So by the time I finished the Rep system I had the DIl to buy everything. Was it hard, Yes, time consuming? Yes, worth the cost, Frankly no. The Romulan sets are not that great, The Plasma weps may been good once i get the Tier 3 Embassy consoles that boost plasma damage. And that is a whole other grind in itself, I think their reasoning was since everyone can now unlock the sets once getting to tier 5, they didnt want every player running around with XII gear so to make it still somewhat rare the made it uber expensive to get.
  • matchstick606matchstick606 Member Posts: 233 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    people are still complaining about the rep system? lol what a joke, it's like they want end tier gear just handed to them. The cost of the gear are fine. It's not that hard to grind dil and marks. Besides if you know how you can grind 10k+ dil a day and well over 1000 marks. lol what more do you have to do then to sit and wait for your dil cap to reset. The old system was F**ed up with some people pushing 300 stf's and still not getting a full MK XII set and as for the dil exchange the prices are dropping cuz its so damn easy to grind dil now.
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    If anyone had to do hundreds of elite STFs for one Mk XII STF set piece, then there is something horrendously wrong with that system. It doesn't matter if most can get everything with the same effort that highly irritated person put in. Everything is based on the worst case scenario. The worst case scenario for the old system is too harsh for the worst case scenario of the new system which doesn't exist. If I am a highly active STFer, then the day I get to Tier 5, I can get everything provided I have enough Omega Marks, BNPs, and dilithium. The new system even gives you a free Mk XII STF ground piece. There are some problems with the new system such as the price of the Mk X Borg set, no duty officers, and the various problems with the ground weapons like no pulsewave and only coming in antiproton flavor, but the main benefit is that we only have to put in the effort to get the equipment rather than relying on luck.
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited January 2013

Whole Year my main toon Nothing Zip nada, I tired and i tried and i tired and then I tried ...then I stopped.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • solidneutroniumsolidneutronium Member Posts: 510 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Anyone who advocates a reward system based on a RNG can burn in a plasma fire. That's all I have to say about that.
    Professional Slider Since 2409

Officially Nerfed In Early 2410
  • pegasussgcpegasussgc Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    Whole Year my main toon Nothing Zip nada, I tired and i tried and i tired and then I tried ...then I stopped.

Same here, I did 800 elite grounds and got ONE proto tech. That was with one toon and now after about a month I have all the ground sets and the adapted maco space and ground set. I really don't understand how anyone could prefer the old system to the current one. The only thing I would like to see is a reduction in the cost of the borg set, it should be much cheaper.
  • twg042370twg042370 Member Posts: 2,312 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    a) There isn't any PVE content where you need the MKXII gear.
    b) Noone forces you to grind for it.
    c) profit

Really, where is the problem? One MKXII set is easily grinded in less than a month. If you don't want to grind, then take the fleet gear which can even be better.

It's like hamsters getting angry because someone put a wheel in their cage.
    <3
  • admgreeradmgreer Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I just hope the Omega store gets space weps. Odd that the Romulan store has Romulan Plasma Beams/Cannons ect space weps but the Omega dosen't. The Omega store should at least had XII antiproton space weps.
  • manlyyamsmanlyyams Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    twg042370 wrote: »
    It's like hamsters getting angry because someone put a wheel in their cage.

omg that actually made me laugh audbily. Good job, sir.

Anyway. I have to agree. The prototype tech drops were unpredictable, and it took some people months to finally get what they wnated/needed, if not longer. The REP system gives a boost to these captains. And yeah, I know that you're upset because people are flying/walking around in MK XII gear and costumes that you mastered the game to get, but you know what, they've got more end-endgame gear coming, so you'll have other things you can walk around to show off your e-peen.

Until then let everyone have some fun however they want to. That's what playing a game is all about, right?