Install Arc
Options

Ask Cryptic: January 2013

124»

Comments

• Options
    gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Thinking very seriously of re-species-ing if and when a Cardassian playable race is introduced on the Fed side. My alien "Cardassian" would love to be a legit Cardassian (and also have an appropriate Cardassian hairstyle and proper neck ridges).

Recommend as a mandatory trait "Mental Discipline" given that this squares with canon, and/or an "Eidetic Memory" trait that works similarly to "Efficient" (or even "Efficient" itself, though I suspect that would make Cardassian a C-store race, something that personally I would pay for but I'm not sure everyone currently playing a Cardasisan would).

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    bloatedfishbloatedfish Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I'd like to say that I support the ability to re-species. I chose a human as my first character, and even when a trait respec token is introduced, I may end up with two traits that are pretty useless.
  • Options
    voicesdarkvoicesdark Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    As per Dan's request I'm voicing my opinion on the topic of adding in the abilty for smaller fleets to join an alliance with other small fleets and/or a merge fleet option.

I personally HIGHLY support the idea of being able to form an alliance with another fleet or fleets. I don't think alliances of more than 3 fleets should be allowed thou. The ability to name the alliance would be really nice thou as well. For example the alliance name would be Task Force Delta: consisting of fleet 1, fleet 2, fleet 3.

I also think a system should be implemented where 2 level 6 or 7 fleet officers are needed in order to disband from the alliance and the same should also be put into place for disbanding a fleet along with the no rank 7 log-in for 30 days.

As far as fleets having the ability to "merge", I'm not really sure how that would work. If one fleet is merging to another then it would stand to reason that the fleet merging into the other one should get something for all of the resources they have put into the fleet system so far. However, implementing such a system would require a lot of consideration on how best to refund resources without it becoming profitable to start a break away fleet solely for the purpose of making profit off the merge system.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    sethpower121sethpower121 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I'd like to say that I support the ability to re-species. I chose a human as my first character

I did the same thing with my first toon,and as I went on,I wanted to switch to a alien more..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"You won't win.. I'm a psycho!.."
  • Options
    coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    The details look pretty good, the proof of course is in the pudding.
  • Options
    nacnudsuperbnacnudsuperb Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Dstahl: This is an interesting option ? or similarly, the ability for Fleets to merge ? that we are considering as a way for smaller fleets to handle some of the challenges to building a Starbase. Nothing has been decided but it is definitely an interesting option. It would be useful to know if other fleets feel this would be worthwhile or if there are concerns over something like this.

As a fleet leader that is part of an alliance I can tell you that a formal in-game alliance, as well as an option to merge fleets would be greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    naeviusnaevius Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Dstahl: We plan to increase the level cap in the future so that captains will be able to obtain the Full Admiral Rank. As part of that change, we will be introducing a new tier of gear...

I think I see the endpoint of my playing the game right there.
    Joined October 2009. READ BEFORE POSTING
  • Options
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    inktomi19 wrote: »
    When re-traiting is implemented, it might be wise to look at the how mandatory certain traits are. Personally I would be most interested in changing traits (and races in some cases) to get
    to get Accuracy and Elusive on all of my characters. Those are such big buffs that if you go into PvP without them you are at a major disadvantage.

Agreed. The Gorn having three required traits makes them a distinctly subpar race.
  • Options
    bberge1701bberge1701 Member Posts: 726 Bug Hunter
    edited January 2013
    Dstahl: Good question. Our license with CBS is restricted to the TV Shows, the movies (up to Nemesis), the Animated Series, and some of the book fiction. Unfortunately, this license doesn?t extend to other video games. However, if those ships or factions appeared in any of the previously mentioned properties, then it is fair game.

Since Cryptic has the rights to the Animated Series, can we please have Caitian/Ferasan hairstyles like Lt. M'Ress?
  • Options
    fr0gurtfr0gurt Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Regarding the re-species token, I think stoleviathan99 had the right answer way back on post 13 of this thread. He was talking about Bridge Officers, but this could apply to player characters as well if you make the "Corrupted Pattern Buffer Log" a C-store item.

Changing species is something that should be possible, but made into a medium-term project to prevent it from being a spur-of-the-moment decision. And "transporter accident" is probably the best way to explain a change of species in-game.
  • Options
    startuxstartux Member Posts: 135 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Dan Stahl can we please try to move away from the "Cryptic" answers we get, especially concerning the KDF? When asked about more content and knowing quite a few look forward to the beginning missions through levels 1-21 can we please be more specific?

STO is the best Star Trek game on the market, but by the constant excuse of not being able to have at least two full factions it really means we're stuck with 2/3rds of an MMO.
  • Options
    paulfirminpaulfirmin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    How do you submit a question for cryptic to answer?
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    paulfirmin wrote: »
    How do you submit a question for cryptic to answer?

Watch these forums during the first couple of weeks of February... (not this particular thread though)

BranFlakes will start a thread that's tittled... "Submit your Ask Cryptic questions - February 2013"...

It'll be in the FEDERATION NEWS NETWORK section.

Then post yer question there... :)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    drakelious13drakelious13 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    i have no clue where to post acctual ideas that players might have for the game. i have been trying to complete a ship design that was acctualy started 5 years ago and was never finnished. it was originaly drafted up for Birth of the Federation. As the point i do not have a 3d image creator but i do have it on a 2d draft. i wanted to know what forum. or to who i send it to dirrectly for being submitted to the gaming staff to be veiwed. thank you very much
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    i have no clue where to post acctual ideas that players might have for the game. i have been trying to complete a ship design that was acctualy started 5 years ago and was never finnished. it was originaly drafted up for Birth of the Federation. As the point i do not have a 3d image creator but i do have it on a 2d draft. i wanted to know what forum. or to who i send it to dirrectly for being submitted to the gaming staff to be veiwed. thank you very much

Not to burst your bubble...

But I don't believe that outside of a Contest Environment like the "Design The Next Enterprise" one, a year or so ago, that Cryptic will accept those kind of submissions.

There is though, absolutely no reason why you can't start your own thread in 'The Art of Star Trek Online' Forum here, showing off your talents.

:)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    paulfirminpaulfirmin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    daveyny wrote: »
    Watch these forums during the first couple of weeks of February... (not this particular thread though)

BranFlakes will start a thread that's tittled... "Submit your Ask Cryptic questions - February 2013"...

It'll be in the FEDERATION NEWS NETWORK section.

Then post yer question there... :)

Thanks, will keep a look out for it
  • Options
    thegalaxy31thegalaxy31 Member Posts: 1,211 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    (I put this in the wrong thread, Moderator delete this please)
    I would love to visit this star in-game...or maybe this one!
    Won't SOMEONE please think of the CHILDREN?!
  • Options
    vintage1gamervintage1gamer Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    are there any plans to allow us the option to have your diplomacy bridge officers wear your fed uniforms? as some one who's majority of bridge officers are from the other faction it would be appreciated.

Do you guys have any plans of releasing bridges/interiors for the different era's with proper sizes, like one basic design for TOS and one for TNG or pre TNG.

Are you still thinking of the possibility of us making the first officer a playable captain, if so would that apply to diplomacy ones such as the gorn.
  • Options
    bandit2338bandit2338 Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    i have a real gameplay question here:

my fleet has kinda two fleets(klingon and federation) some of us prefer their klingon char but still want to play along with us other guys in the federation. would u mind giving us a option to team up with klingons? i know we can create own stf session......but we need everytime 5 guys for that. cant we team up with them like normal? but klingons and fed cant join the same mission or something?

also i would like to see a REAL intrepid brigde.....the one voyager had

at the end a really for me important suggestion/question:
    the bridges we can add or choose for our ships are nice......but i enter on my intrepid a bridge which i got by zen.....and when i look around i see a olympic class pic.....pls add that if u got a ship....the shematic view of the ship u have will be added...not the one of which the bridge shall be! that would be really awesome! i mean i got a intrepid and no olympic....shouldnt be that heavy to lay one pic over another.do on every ship some plan where some lines goes to the middle and lay the shematic view of the ship u have over that one. so if i invite another guy to my bridge....he shall know what ship this is.
    and it would change a lot on the brigdes! pls consider it!