test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Ask Cryptic: January 2013

pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
edited January 2013 in Galactic News Network [PC]
In this brand-new edition of Ask Cryptic, Executive Producer Daniel Stahl delivers answers to player submitted questions.

Link to the Ask Cryptic.
Post edited by pwebranflakes on

Comments

• game5pockgame5pock Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    DStahl wrote:
    " We also have Season 9 scheduled to launch in the second-half of 3013."

This is a typo, I hope?
  • mazurkr1mazurkr1 Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    hey, at least they're got long-term plans
  • pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited January 2013
    game5pock wrote: »
    This is a typo, I hope?

Yes, obviously it was a typo :P It was fixed earlier if you refresh.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • alexhurlbutalexhurlbut Member Posts: 292 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    A solution for the AFKers in PVE bouts;
    Track their damage/healing output (which is already done in some of the PvE bouts). Keep the information of "how much it take to be not considered AFK" a secret so the lazy players cannot figure it out and then just try to contribute the *absolute* minimum. This "minimum" line to be considered not AFK would varied from PvE bout to bout and varied between normal and elite modes as well.
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Originally Posted by DStahl
    " We also have Season 9 scheduled to launch in the second-half of 3013."
    game5pock
    This is a typo, I hope?

Dans been jumpin' around in His Time Machine again... :D
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Q: (tpai99) Will there be a Fleet version of the Vesta? What about the new ships that you guys design yourself? Will there be more possibilities to create your own ship?

Dstahl: We haven?t made a final decision on the Fleet Vesta, but it is one of the ships we are considering for a Fleet refit. We do have several new ship designs in the works, along with some older designs from both the TOS and Enterprise era. One of our long term goals is to allow Fleets the ability to customize and/or create their own ships, but we want to make more customization parts for existing ships before we implement that.

As a really huge TOS fan..,

I'm not sure whether to squeee or pass out about this. :D
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    game5pock wrote: »
    This is a typo, I hope?

cool maybe it will be a Futurama update :D
    GwaoHAD.png
  • shaunklshaunkl Member Posts: 60 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Good Ask Cryptic. I'm excited for the UI revamp in season 8 and I have a friend who will be happy about the OS X port.

Could we have the image at the top of this month's Ask Cryptic in a full-sized wallpaper please?
    Number one on my wishlist: New FED transporter effect
    Number two: 22nd Century Excursion Jackets
    Number three: Handheld communicator animation for non-combadge uniforms
  • rahhmirahhmi Member Posts: 145 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    seeing as this doesn't post on the linked article.. I'll just ask here.

With the klingons so lacking in content, or other concerns like changing species... why not simply unlock TR:Unrestricted or make species traits buyable (or C-Storeable) and respec everything based on customization?

The only theoretical answer is so that players will make multiple characters, however, Making it impossible for one player to acquire items as well as the absurd amount of Bind-to-character items that have been showing up kills that concept entirely.

...that said, there's absolutely NO reason why you'd restrict costume content (even such as maco or omegaforce) within the foundry. While a gorn head with tholian legs might not match up visually, KDF and FED parts are certainly interchangeable, as are Maco, HG, OF, and Off Duty outfits. All the different heads (Saurian, Gorn) obviously work on all bodies... so this seems rather silly.
  • zerobangzerobang Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Would it be possible to not get queued by the PvE queue with players that we have on our ignore list?

That would pretty easily get rid of any AFK player behavior if they had to fear to not get any matches.

And if at all possible prioritize getting queued with players on the friend list?

That would increase the quality of pve matches A LOT.

More Dominion Ships in the next lockbox... ok, nice i guess, but when can i finally get a proper Jem'Hadar Captain for my Jem'Hadar Ship(s)?

Or, when will the promote First Officer to Player Captain ability finally be released?

Trait Respec in Season 8? finally! i bet half my chars didn't even know what they are going to do at Endgame.

Species Respec.... if you get me that Jem'Hadar and Breen Captain that i need for my Alien LockBox Ships (and maybe a Tholian?!) i'd totally pay 2000 Zen for that!

i also met some Players that intentionally used the Alien Creator to create different alien species in different costume slots and have written in their Bio that they are Shapeshifters. Think about that one for a bit ;)

(how cool would it be if there was a Changeling morphing FX when you select a different Costume?)

aaaalso... we have seen:

Picard, Data and Troi as Romulans
    Sisko, O'Brien and Odo (while Human!) as Klingons
    Kira as Cardassian

plastic surgery like that seems pretty easy in the Star Trek future, i don't see a reason to restrict these things more than absolutely needed because of tech reasons.

(time limited GPL holograms are NOT what i am looking for)

TRIBBLE the future Factions that may never appear, i want "Monsterplay" and i want it now!
    If i can have the Ships, why not the fitting Species?

When a Jem Hadar or Breen Faction arrives in 5 - 10 years, you can still sell me the option to import my Char to that Faction later :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Here's my take:

Introduce rep-style projects, accessible at the Drozana transporter room at a special Ferengi NPC who is a transporter accident researcher:

Corrupted Pattern Buffer Log: Personal (Species) (Gender)

Corrupted Pattern Buffer Log: Bridge Officer (Species) (Gender)

These generate an item which is redeemable for a special bridge officer or species respec that is one quality level above the inputs.

The project requires something like: Two BOs, 25k dilithium, 50k in commodities.

Combine two purple Vulcan BOs? Get an Elite Quality Vulcan BO. Combine two blues for a purple. Combine two greens for a blue. Combine two whites for a green. Ala the DOff grinder.

The reverse also works to split BOs out, again like the DOff grinder.

A Corrupted Pattern Buffer Log: Personal project (aka species/gender respec) requires two Elite BOs of a species, 100k dilithium, and 500k in commodities.

What this does is mean that you can only respec to species you can get four purple BOs of. This is how you disqualify androids/Borg. Because you can only get one at a time of each. (You could get playable Fed/KDF Romulan this way. And BO/Marauding species respec options could open up if you added KDF Ferengi/Fed Gorn etc. BOs to other commendation categories, fleshing out their rewards. And if somebody wants a Jem'Hadar or Breen, you'd need to add three more places to get purple Jem'Hadar or Breen BOs.)

This creates a BOff sink as BOs are, generally, getting way too cheap relative to other items of similar value.

Additionally, you could add special Corrupted Pattern Buffers via DOff assignments, reputation, DOff packs, and lockboxes. For example: a Bynars ground grand prize lockbox awards a Corrupted Pattern Buffer: Personal (Bynars) which changes your character into a pair of Bynars. Meanwhile, you offer Bynars bridge officers as more common rewards which can be upgraded in quality to provide a Corrupted Pattern Buffer: Personal (Bynars).

Corrupted Pattern Buffers could also provide hybrid BOs and hybrid species respecs. For example, half-Romulan, half-human BOs with inputs requiring half of one and half of the other.

The whole thing is vaguely dark from a roleplay perspective but you could have the Ferengi and supporting text address this somewhat so that the Captain doesn't know the outcome even if the PLAYER does.
  • flotahispanaflotahispana Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    At least, Spanish translation after 3 years! Thank you Cryptic!

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

:D
  • edna#7310 edna Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    mid year event like the winter event <<< that is brilliant

retrait options >>>always wanted some space traits for my 3 year old toon wich no space traits.
  • farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Looks good from reading that. I say a exciting 2013 year for STO. Looking forward to seeing what other ships they come out with.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • f8explorer#7814 f8explorer Member Posts: 1,328 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Ok ... I want to hear it said from a Dev that the KDF is still getting their own free ship during the anniversary event.

The other thought that occurred to me is that they might try giving us a T-3 version of these ships (KDF and the Ambassador) with us having to pay for the T-5 version.
    Joint Forces Commander ... / ... proud member of ... boq botlhra'ghom / AllianceCenCom!
    " We stand TOGETHER and fight with HONOR!"

U.S.S. Maelstrom, NCC-71417 (Constitution III-class/flagship) --- Fleet Admiral Hauk' --|-- Dahar Master Hauk --- I.K.S. qu'In 'an bortaS (D7-class / flagship)
  • bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Q: (timjerrom) Now im personaly not a fan of flying round a box where you just get the same old missions over and over again of having to scan 5 anomolies and warp out, blow 5 sets of hostile vessels up, beam to a station/planet kill 5 sets of hostiles. Its not Trek! Where are the ailens that you talk too to sort the situation out or just the ailens that you don't have to kill full stop? Also where is the exploration to seek out new life and to boldly go where no one has gone before?

Dstahl: We?ve poured significant resources into creating procedurally generated random space encounters and, unfortunately, they never quite feel like the Trek you are talking about. This is why we created the Foundry, so that players could author missions that are much more genuine and offer something new. The next step will be to marry the Foundry to a solid Exploration concept where you can be rewarded for exploring new sectors of randomly (but player created) strange new worlds. That is the basis of what we want to do with Exploration in the future

All well and good, but what about if a Foundry Author wants to revisit a world he's created and give players another reason to go back? Or base a series arc of missions around that one planet?

Please take that into consideration when you build out this feature.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    retrait tokens for season 8 confirmed

all new kdf design for the anniversary, as in not kvort, confirmed

my poor very old characters with TRIBBLE traits are finally going to get accurate and elusive!

all sounds good, the future looks bright!
  • diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    A summer event, seriously, don't you have some real work to do? :P

New features would be much more appreciated than a summer event. Sure it would be interesting but not as much as new queues and new reps (as long as it's not a pvp one).
    Lenny Barre, lvl 60 DC. 18k.
    God, lvl 60 CW. 17k.
  • jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,803 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Q: (ekumulum) The Winter Event was cool. Are you planning on extending it for next year? Do you have something similar in store for spring time?

Dstahl: The Winter Event will be returning next December, and due to this year?s popularity, we are considering adding a companion event mid-year that will offer new challenges and new rewards, while providing a more sunny atmosphere.

*chants*

Risa! Risa! Risa! Risa, Risa, Risa, Risa, Risa, RisaRisaRisaRisaRisaRisaRARARARAAAAA!!
  • nejdinenejdine Member Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Summer-event? Risa? Bikiniwear! Yessssss! :o
    edited January 2013
    Q: (justin2384) Could we see a way where two or maybe even more smaller fleets could for an alliance and build a star base together?

Dstahl: This is an interesting option ? or similarly, the ability for Fleets to merge ? that we are considering as a way for smaller fleets to handle some of the challenges to building a Starbase. Nothing has been decided but it is definitely an interesting option. It would be useful to know if other fleets feel this would be worthwhile or if there are concerns over something like this

I would definitely want to see options for fleet alliances.

The notion of fleet mergers leaves me a bit nervous, though, especially considering the number of times forum posters have complained about fleets being raided or harmed by people they thought they could trust. The widely-publicized Guiding Hands take-down in EVE is an eye-opening cautionary tale highlighting what STO shouldn't allow to happen.

I think having the option to merge is a good idea, but there should be some checks and balances and some way for fleet members to opt-out of the merge.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
  • cyberpunkfalconcyberpunkfalcon Member Posts: 125 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Two questions:

How come we can't go through the DS9 wormhole?

When will we get to play as the Romulans?
    when will we be able to mont single cannons and duel beam bank arrays on the aft?
  • aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    jexsamx wrote: »
    *chants*

Risa! Risa! Risa! Risa, Risa, Risa, Risa, Risa, RisaRisaRisaRisaRisaRisaRARARARAAAAA!!

Except most of the KDF can't get to Risa! Risa! Risa! . :rolleyes:
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    We do have several new ship designs in the works, along with some older designs from both the TOS and Enterprise era.

:eek: You piqued my interest! :D

Though I'm betting that Enterprise-Era ship, one is likely the Andorian ship. But the TOS-Era, so many possibilities.
    One of our long term goals is to allow Fleets the ability to customize and/or create their own ships, but we want to make more customization parts for existing ships before we implement that.

Didn't think this was still going to happen, haven't heard anything about this for years. I could easily see Warp Core slots being added and it changes the nacelle design.
    We plan to increase the level cap in the future so that captains will be able to obtain the Full Admiral Rank.

Be nice if we could restructure the rank system where end-game is Captain and save Admiral for unique cases like Fleet Leaders.
    Q: (Stojonathan) Any chance of seeing the Enterprise-J ingame?
    Dstahl: Unfortunately, there is very little chance that you?ll see this ship in the game due to its massive size. It is too big in comparison to other ships and would cause issues with gameplay. That doesn?t rule out the possibility of seeing other Enterprise ships between ENT-F and ENT-J, though.

While I never saw it as a player ship, I really doubt the claims on the size causing gameplay issues. The Enterprise-J is no bigger than ESD (Diameter-wise at the docking level).

So I could easily see the Enterprise-J showing up in a future time travel episode.

But the other Enterprise G, H, and I, now thats interesting. Though I'm nervious about the can of worms this might open up with the community after the DTNE.
    As far as Reputations go, we are planning to introduce several new Reputations over the next two years. Some of the reputations being considered include PvP, FED/KDF Warfront, Tholian Task Force, Foundry Play, and Crafting, to name a few.

I still have doubts about a PvP reputation system, due to the possibility of adding buffs to PvPers, when PvErs don't want to PvP. Not to mention widening the gap between new PvPers and long-term veteran PvPers.

Crafting, I could see it opening new receipes and such.
    Q: (ekumulum) The Winter Event was cool. Are you planning on extending it for next year? Do you have something similar in store for spring time?
    Dstahl: The Winter Event will be returning next December, and due to this year?s popularity, we are considering adding a companion event mid-year that will offer new challenges and new rewards, while providing a more sunny atmosphere.

Just hope you fix Fast and Flurious with the bugs, like the DQ at that one turn. And getting rid of the farming bot piles.
    Q: (maddinm214) When will social zones receive an update?
    Dstahl: With the success of the New Romulus and Tholian Adventure Zones, we are looking to go back to our existing social zones and give them a similar treatment. One of the zones being thrown about for a possible Springtime or Summer event is to have it take place on Risa or somewhere similar where all factions could enjoy some fun in the sun.
    The next step will be to marry the Foundry to a solid Exploration concept where you can be rewarded for exploring new sectors of randomly (but player created) strange new worlds. That is the basis of what we want to do with Exploration in the future.

Mr. Burns: Excellant
    Q: (justin2384) Could we see a way where two or maybe even more smaller fleets could for an alliance and build a star base together?
    Dstahl: This is an interesting option ? or similarly, the ability for Fleets to merge ? that we are considering as a way for smaller fleets to handle some of the challenges to building a Starbase. Nothing has been decided but it is definitely an interesting option. It would be useful to know if other fleets feel this would be worthwhile or if there are concerns over something like this.

Definitely would be nice for ways to help smaller fleets.

Could easily see a cooperative where Small Fleets need to complete projects, while Large fleets have members looking to find a project to contribute so they could earn fleet marks.

This way you don't have small fleets falling apart for members who want to join T4 or T5 fleets.
    bluegeek wrote: »
    I think having the option to merge is a good idea, but there should be some checks and balances and some way for fleet members to opt-out of the merge.

While I don't mind the option to merge fleets, I rather would like to see a type of cooperative system. That way small fleets who want to stay small, can stay small and not be forced to join a collective.

Not to mention some small fleets have worked hard up til this point and if the large fleet splits apart, that small fleet can't return to where they were, they would have to start over.
  • pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited January 2013
    genhauk wrote: »
    Ok ... I want to hear it said from a Dev that the KDF is still getting their own free ship during the anniversary event.

We've confirmed this many times :) I also talked about it at the end of the premiere episode of "On Screen!"

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
    edited January 2013
    Q: (keeny75) Will / Can there be a way to change the species that we are? When I first joined STO I opted for human than later on you released playable Caitian faction in the c-store. I would love to be a Caitian but I don't want to start again from scratch to do it.

Dstahl: Now that we are working on a way to respec your traits, this is one option we are considering, but we haven?t made a final decision. We generally aren?t looking for players to be able to swap their species back and forth as easily as a respec, but we do appreciate that some players may have made a decision that they would like to change. Once we get the Trait respec in game, we will make a call on whether we will open up this option. If there are others that feel strongly about this, it would be good to see some of opinions in the forums

I think a one-time change of race wouldn't be out of line, or maybe a limit on how many times you can do it.

Likewise for career changes.

And while we're on the topic of Traits... is there any chance that we might see the whole Trait system revisited?

It's always galled me that

A) BOFFs get superior traits, but we don't. AFAIK, Traits don't scale up with level/rank.

B) I can't create a Vulcan who can do nearly everything Spock could... Physical Strength, Logical, Nerve Pinch, Mind Meld, Limited Telepathy, and Acute Senses. I can understand not being legendary, but can't I be at least a little bit special? ;)
  • malkarrismalkarris Member Posts: 797 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    daveyny wrote: »
    As a really huge TOS fan..,

I'm not sure whether to squeee or pass out about this. :D

My question about the TOS ships, is what is left? Its been a while since I watched those, but I'm pretty sure that the Enterprise and the rest of her class were about it for the Feds, and the D7 is the same for the KDF. So what would be left?

A DY-100 sleeper ship? KHAAAAAAANNNNNNNN!!!!!!!

The Aurora (The space hippy ship)?

Old Style Romulan Bird of Prey? That might be kinda cool, but I doubt it.

If you really stretch the point, the old one nacelle Destroyer/Scout class from the Star Fleet technical manual? It did appear in the movies in the background.

Same for Enterprise era, what's left? There's that other star fleet design witht he arrow head. Some cargo ships, and ships from races that would become federation members, but we're getting an Andorian ship and we already have a Vulcan ship that look like those (hopefully in the case of the Andorian ship). Maybe Xindi ships? That might be cool, but I think they're hitting the bottom of the barrel shooting that far into the past.

Eh, guess we'll find out sooner or later.
    Joined September 2011
    Nouveau riche LTS member
  • malkarrismalkarris Member Posts: 797 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    aelfwin1 wrote: »
    Except most of the KDF can't get to Risa! Risa! Risa! . :rolleyes:

But Q could get anyone to Risa! Risa! Risa!
    Joined September 2011
    Nouveau riche LTS member
  • kekvinkekvin Member Posts: 633 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    "Dstahl: Good question. Our license with CBS is restricted to the TV Shows, the movies (up to Nemesis), the Animated Series, and some of the book fiction. Unfortunately, this license doesn?t extend to other video games. However, if those ships or factions appeared in any of the previously mentioned properties, then it is fair game."

Would cryptic be willing to acquire the licence if the STO community wanted some of these game ships? Maybe via Kickstarter??