test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

A new nerf thread by Pax - Tier 4 Omega Passive for Shields

Comments

• shimmerlessshimmerless Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I don't quite see your point. It's not as though anything is locked out... Each passive is freely available after a little hard work and dedication.

If it's only a little hard work, why are you so bothered at the prospect of a "nerf"?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    vids and guides and stuff

[9:52] [Zone #11] Neal@trapper1532: im a omega force shadow oprative and a maoc elite camander and here i am taking water samples
  • babybluebriefsbabybluebriefs Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    If it's only a little hard work, why are you so bothered at the prospect of a "nerf"?

"Little" was a figure of speech. It's a significant investment and should reward significantly. Perhaps not quite as significantly as it does, but anything more than a 25% decrease in efficacy of any of the passives would be too much.
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    It's Tier 4. Significantly away from tier 1, that's why it should be significant. :p I don't think a slight advantage over someone who hasn't invested the significant resources and time into the rep system is fair. But I agree that the powers should be balanced to each-other, so buff the kinetic proc...

It's 60k rep. You can get 2800 rep every 20 hours. It's 17-21 days. The passive is not the sole reward for hitting T4. That investment might only be for the passive if that's your choice, but T4 also provides the following opportunities:

Store Unlock Projects: Borg Arm Mk XII, Anti-Borg Consumables
    Gear Projects: Omega Torp, MACO/Omega/KHG Space Set Mk XI

Also, you can't get to T5 without going through T4.

So the "investment for T4" is not solely about the passive.

As for the investment? You can run a single Infected Elite each day and you'll not only have more Marks than you need for each pair of daily projects, but you'll also be saving some up along the way. From T3-T4 is around 100k a day... which isn't much in the least.

So that investment is somewhere between 8.5-21 hours or so?

Just because it's timegated and is going to take a "long" time to get it done - doesn't mean that it's actually taking a lot of time.

Course, when you try to do it on four toons - both Omega and Romulan - well, it starts to feel like work. There's folks out there trying to do it with 6, 8, 10+ toons.

I've actually slacked off - was running all four and it's pretty much down to one - just running all four for the Chel Grett races.
  • p2wsucksp2wsucks Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    "Little" was a figure of speech. It's a significant investment and should reward significantly. Perhaps not quite as significantly as it does, but anything more than a 25% decrease in efficacy of any of the passives would be too much.

Repeating the same TRIBBLE over and over isn't hard work. It's tedious, boring, and not fun. Why would you want anything like that in a game designed for entertainment?

Also, it will continue to power creep up w/every new reputation system which will time gate new players from enjoying the game more and more. Now they will need to grind doffs, reputation system, stf gear, fleet gear, etc. This stuff doesn't encourage new players.

I've not bothered to rush the rep system so I'm not at T4. Therefore, I can tell you all the stuff about Borg buffs w/Season 7 require the rep system reward such OP TRIBBLE in order to run them is complete bs. I could still run them w/basic ships and mkX common gear or worse.

My guess if you honestly are in the camp that needs this ability to "feel" like a cruiser you're just bad at building a quality setup and playing what is for the most part a very easy PvE game. Let me guess the Borg set changes messed you're survivability in STFs up ...

The T4 regen is on top of Fleet shields w/high regens and or STF shields w/high regen. There are reputation system consoles that proc to repair shields now as well. The past year has seen a huge buff to shield modifiers to a variety of ships in addition to the higher shield caps and regens. RSP has been buffed and you can get 2 copies out of 1 w/Aux2Batt.

There are plenty of good cruiser builds in this forum, there's a PvP training camp coming up which would undoubtably help you in PvE, there's videos of how to's for PvP and PvE you could watch, too bad you guys don't engage in any of those and try some varient of them out before posting such ill concieved opinions.
    [Zone] Dack@****: cowards can't take a fed 1 on 1 crinckley cowards Hahahaha you smell like flowers
    Random Quote from Kerrat
    "Sumlobus@****: your mums eat Iced Targ Poo"
    C&H Fed banter
  • bitemepwebitemepwe Member Posts: 6,760 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    mancom wrote: »

Sure, you can go for cryptic's usual explanation of "it's a display error", but do you really belive that?

There will be a Complete KDF !

I certainly hope so but yeah, one learns suspicion...
    Leonard Nimoy, Spock.....:(

R.I.P
  • hravikhravik Member Posts: 1,203 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    bitemepwe wrote: »

And this time, we totally mean it!

For certain values of totally. Maybe.
    edited December 2012
    bitemepwe wrote: »

Well, there's a new KDF Winter Scarf... progress!
  • paxottomanpaxottoman Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Wow the audacity of some of these PvE'ers coming on here..

I'm glad I didn't follow this thread, although I did start it. I kind of left it off when they said "we don't know when, or how, but we'll be fixing this". Which was enough for me to feel a little more resentful towards this Dev team.

Question for the PvErs though: Are things so bad in your sand box that you need to come in here and provide feedback about your Kirk Kill Em all Cruiser being nerfed?

In other words care bears, aka PvE'ers, go away?
    Turkish RP Heroes
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    sophlogimo wrote: »
    So now you actually have to think how to do it, possibly even concentrate fire on the newbies? Well, how does that "break the game"?

It doesn't. It is not proper balance, it should be fixed. But that's it.

i have the passives. previously i was not invincible, and i had to put effort into surviving. now surviving means running HE every once and a wile to deal with shield bleed. any shield penetrating conventional weapons can do is only for about a millisecond, and then a facing is auto repaired by the passive. 2, 3, 5 players shooting at me, it makes little difference. 'break the game' has never been more accurately used, this is the worst thing they have ever released into the game, worse then runabouts.

i don't think anyone has a more damaging shield ignoring build then 1 of my captains has. even he has to work extreamly hard to finish a tier 4 user off. with that build, i couldn't adapt harder if i wanted too.

I am trying to talk some sense into you. Not everything that's said to you that you don't like is an attack.

saying you don't damage people enough to notice that shields are unkillable, and that ive blown you up in seconds before is also not an attack.

Seriously, I don't care about your credibility or any other part of your ego at all. To say that the game was "unplayably broken" due to this bug is and will remain hyperbole.

i could create video evidence that it is reality, and not hyperbole, but somehow i doubt it would convince you. i'll see about doing that if i have time.
    Again: It should be fixed, they have already acknowldged that. But the games that are not premade matches (premades matches are, frankly, such a tiny fraction of the PvP games in STO that they are simply not relevant) still turn out like they did before: The team that coordinates better wins, and everything blows up within a dozen or so seconds from 4 alpha strikes at once.

no, pretty much battles are unending unless its 3 against 1. currently no one really has to worry about surviving standard incoming fire, they just have to chain very organized stun/spike combos and throw about 4 times as much firepower as would normally be needed to kill someone now. C&Hs take an eternity, people cant be driven off or cleared from points really.

this is experience talking here, over and over this has been how matches work the last day or so. everything im saying is 100% from experience.
  • mancommancom Member Posts: 784 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Can we please get the ignore button for users on the forums back?
    edited December 2012
    Which is the concern many here have: They now cannot cut through shields like a hot knife through butter any more.

I'd love to know what game you're playing because it sure as hell isn't Star Trek Online. Games with two decent teams can potentially take hours, we had to call one off just a few days ago. And yes, this was before the passive or any of the Embassy toy consoles.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[9:52] [Zone #11] Neal@trapper1532: im a omega force shadow oprative and a maoc elite camander and here i am taking water samples
    edited December 2012
    Well it's amusing because you seem to think the passive'll help newer players, even though everyone has access to it providing they grind the rep. Games that were stomps before will still be so after, it's just that the average length of queue games will steadily increase as more people get the passive.

It wouldn't do anything but give newer players a false sense of security anyway.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

edited December 2012
    no body doesn't think it shouldn't be fixed, except the worst the pve crowd has to offer, thats not the argument. apparently you haven't seen it at its worst or something. regardless it is the worst thing to happen to pvp yet. every day more people get to tier 4, its going to get worse and worse daily. soon not even you will be able to deny it.

its like i have RSP on at all times. thats what the passives do for me. tell me RSP with 100% up time isn't game breaking, i would love to hear you say that. you call that hyperbole, your wrong everything im saying is painfully literal. i have sooo much hands on experience with it now, there is no doubt as to how bad it is.

my unstoppable palsmanoughts are also now invincible. i only fear phaser procs, thissler quality alpha strikes, tric mines with back step, and people chaining 3 or more maco 3 part hits. these are the only things that have killed me since tier 4
  • bitemepwebitemepwe Member Posts: 6,760 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Well, there's a new KDF Winter Scarf... progress!

Yes, yes there is. I guess we KDF can die happy now. :P
    Leonard Nimoy, Spock.....:(

R.I.P
  • evilito8evilito8 Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I thought you all were pvp'ers. Real pvp'ers would know how to kill someone with Tier4 passives. It's not hard to counter. You all make me sad. F'n ignore shields and build to blow or burn hulls up. This is what bothers me about you all. No F'n imagination. You are all what makes STO pvp sad. Making my cats sad... Freaking learn to adapt to the situation.

Damage control teams ready Fire Extinguisher...

See you all in queues once you all figure out this isn't really that hard.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Seven of Eleven
    "live long enough to be assimilated, resistance is futile"
  • scurry5scurry5 Member Posts: 1,554 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    evilito8 wrote: »
    I thought you all were pvp'ers. Real pvp'ers would know how to kill someone with Tier4 passives. It's not hard to counter. You all make me sad. F'n ignore shields and build to blow or burn hulls up. This is what bothers me about you all. No F'n imagination. You are all what makes STO pvp sad. Making my cats sad... Freaking learn to adapt to the situation.

Umm....I do think that most can see the problem and how to counter it. The problem is that almost no non-pvper can. Most of them are complaining about being invincible more than not being able to pop others.

Furthermore, builds that ignore shields are extremely restrictive, and tend to be quite unconventional. When I think about it, building to counter the t4 proc renders almost every existing standard build much less effective in popping others. This sudden reduction in diversity is, IMO, not very good for the game. No imagination? Building to ignore shields locks us into specific strategies that may reduce the imagination we can apply.

True, the proc can be countered. However, a sweeping change of this magnitude renders many simple builds useless, reducing diversity in builds, raising tediousness in equal matches and raising the bar for newbies, who will find it much more difficult to adapt.
  • skyranger1414skyranger1414 Member Posts: 1,785 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    This is a really slippery slope...

This is what I'm trying to get at. What happens if STO does slide merrily down the slope and its necessary to go through 5 or 6 rep grinds to even do any PvE or PvP? More importantly, how can it NOT go down the slope as more and more reps are added?
  • p2wsucksp2wsucks Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012

I could blow up people w/the Jem Shield's BFI bug. But, that's not the issue. Good players will know how to make the most of this passive. The issue w/the Jem Shield's bug wasn't just the lolz shields if a person used a hazzard doff they also had max hull resists. All they needed then were a few abiliities to shore up defenses and counter Sci abilities and they were good to go. Most didn't bother w/this and combined w/phaser procs at the time it was possible to time quants w/crf to kill them.

This latest bug isn't as bad as that was since it doesn't boost hull nor cause lagouts from overloading combat logs. But, it still makes it much easier to solo harden a ship to the point any decent cross repair teamwork makes things so drawn out it's very unfun and cruiser teams just lolz to fight and not in a good way. Maybe there are just so few good teams anymore people don't realize how bad this can be?
    [Zone] Dack@****: cowards can't take a fed 1 on 1 crinckley cowards Hahahaha you smell like flowers
    Random Quote from Kerrat
    "Sumlobus@****: your mums eat Iced Targ Poo"
    C&H Fed banter
    edited December 2012
    I thought you all were pvp'ers. Real pvp'ers would know how to kill someone with Tier4 passives. It's not hard to counter.

So I have super shields (I don't I went kinetic), which means I do not need as many shield BOFF abilities. I can look more at hull abilities - or - I can even look more at offensive abilities.

Maybe I drop an EPtS1 for an EPtA1 and grab the +heal DOFF.
    Maybe I grab the ET DOFF for the recharge reduction and +heal.
    Maybe I grab the +hull HoT for my AtS.
    Maybe I'm cycling between AtS and AtD.
    Maybe I run PH for the hull resist (okay, I already do that - but maybe somebody else does).
    Maybe my actual build's not doing any "special" stuff - so I've got even more points in resists.
    Maybe I still run EFF/BFM and keep an eye out for Theta.

Many of the choices one made to keep their shields up, they would not need to make - so - they just switch over to some hull love.

Or maybe they get more offensive with the abilities, eh?

I mean, it's a case of picturing a slider (just like the power one there on your GUI). If you can lower the shield concerns, you can raise something else - whether that's more hull concerns - more offensive concerns - more sci fun, etc, etc, etc, etc.

It throws the balance off.

I can see where somebody not concerned with balance would not have looked at things in such a manner though...
    edited December 2012

yes, just stop complaining that tier 4 passive users have like a permanent RSP. thats not the problem, its that you all haven't built ships that kill though shields that are as good as builds that kill more traditionally. well i have adapted, and its still basically impossible to kill anyone good with the passives.
    edited December 2012
  • snoge00fsnoge00f Member Posts: 1,812 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Sweet. :)

I just wish I knew by how much it's gonna get nerfed. I guess they'll tweak it depending on complaints. So we better be on the ball and complain hard if it's not enough. :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited December 2012
    This is what I'm trying to get at. What happens if STO does slide merrily down the slope and its necessary to go through 5 or 6 rep grinds to even do any PvE or PvP? More importantly, how can it NOT go down the slope as more and more reps are added?

You literally made no sense.

"What happens if STO does slide merrily down the slope and its necessary to go through 5 or 6 rep grinds to even do any PvE or PvP?"

ROFL: You realize "grinding" is PvE right? Or did you think it was something else?

Oh the humanity!
    Turkish RP Heroes
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited December 2012
    Anyway, live on tribble:

We will be bringing the Tribble server down for maintenance to apply a new update.
    ST.25.20121210a.8

General:

Embassy Update: - The Kit Vendor will now properly unlock upon reaching T1 Recruitment, instead of incorrectly requiring T1 Diplomacy.
    Romulan Reputation Updates:
    The Tier 4 "Romulan Plasma Torpedo" project now properly rewards a "Romulan Hyper-Plasma Torpedo Launcher" instead of the Rapid Fire torpedo.
    Players that have already completed this project will find the torpedo they previously acquired has changed from the Rapid Fire plasma into the Hyper-Plasma Torpedo, which will now also register as part of the "Romulan Singularity Harness" gear set.
    Players under max level will be able to travel between the System and Embassy maps on New Romulus.
    Updated the tooltips for the Queues header in the journal.
    Searching for Foundry missions will no longer always report that the search failed, even when it's successful.
    Resolved an issue that caused the gameclient to freeze when being auto-teamed for PvE and PvP maps.
    Resolved issue that occasionally caused character creation to fail when creating a character for the Foundry editor.
    Resolved issue with Defera mission Memento Vitae that caused it to fail to turn in with an Inventory Full message.

Systems:

Drastically reduced the shield healing provided by Superior Shield Repair.
    Fixed a typo in Reactive Shielding.
    Sensor Targeting Assault will now properly apply a 12-second Placate Immunity effect to the target after it expires.
    The different ranks of Covert Operative now have different display names.
    Emergency Secondary Shielding should now work properly.
    Reactive Shielding should now work properly.
    Reactive Shielding and Emergency Secondary Shielding now heal for flat values rather than a percentage of your maximum shields. This should generally represent a performance improvement.
    Quantum Singularity Manipulation now also increases the Starship Shield Systems stat while it is active.
    Changed the icon for Sensor Targeting Assault to a more appropriate icon.
    Turkish RP Heroes
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • evilito8evilito8 Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    paxottoman wrote: »

Systems:

Drastically reduced the shield healing provided by Superior Shield Repair.
    Fixed a typo in Reactive Shielding.
    Sensor Targeting Assault will now properly apply a 12-second Placate Immunity effect to the target after it expires.
    The different ranks of Covert Operative now have different display names.
    Emergency Secondary Shielding should now work properly.
    Reactive Shielding should now work properly.
    Reactive Shielding and Emergency Secondary Shielding now heal for flat values rather than a percentage of your maximum shields. This should generally represent a performance improvement.
    Quantum Singularity Manipulation now also increases the Starship Shield Systems stat while it is active.
    Changed the icon for Sensor Targeting Assault to a more appropriate icon.

LOL as expected and true to form, "fixed" to levels where it might not be useful as a T4 skill, hope we get a respec with these changes...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Seven of Eleven
    "live long enough to be assimilated, resistance is futile"
  • antoniosalieriantoniosalieri Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    LOL as expected and true to form, "fixed" to levels where it might not be useful as a T4 skill, hope we get a respec with these changes...

This is one that doesn't deserve a respec no... frankly the Tier 4 passives should suck by design... the fact that they are as good as they are is BAD design.

Long grind super bonuses.. destroy pvp games. Its clear Cryptic doesn't care at all about pvp when they add the junk you see at tier 4 and 5... even post fixes.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dignity and an empty sack is worth the sack.
    edited December 2012
    Long grind super bonuses..

I'm glad you put it that way - some folks just are not getting that. It's not that they require a lot of time, it's that they require a length of time.

It's the timegating that's causing some of the issues. Something that you could do in a night's play or over the weekend is now requiring weeks and months to do. It's not really taking that much more time to do - but it is taking longer to do because of the gating.
    edited December 2012
    the pasives are just time locked, there is isnt any difficulty in getting the resources you need for it. apply the right amount of time, receive passive. i see no reason why anything should be built to be even slightly overpowered in that system, there is no accomplishment in unlocking them.

but thats what they want, you in game, starting time gated content and then sticking around and playing other content. every day too, cant miss a day starting up projects. same thing with the carrot and stick breen ship. log in, race, and then wile your at it do other stuff too. or spend a bunch of money/zen/dil/lobi and get it immediately!
    edited December 2012
    the pasives are just time locked, there is isnt any difficulty in getting the resources you need for it. apply the right amount of time, receive passive. i see no reason why anything should be built to be even slightly overpowered in that system, there is no accomplishment in unlocking them.

but thats what they want, you in game, starting time gated content and then sticking around and playing other content. every day too, cant miss a day starting up projects. same thing with the carrot and stick breen ship. log in, race, and then wile your at it do other stuff too. or spend a bunch of money/zen/dil/lobi and get it immediately!

I run my races! C'mon, it takes a few minutes and it's so damn easy. I don't bother with any of the other stuff there outside of doing the 3-4 DOFF missions available.

Now the rep grind on the other hand - I was doing four guys. Then I was doing two guys. Then I was doing one guy. Yesterday, I didn't even do the projects for the one guy. It was too much like work - I even posted about it in another thread - what the schedule looked like.

It's not a case of putting any "hard" work into getting any of it done - it was just doing a lot of busy work... I didn't have any sense of accomplishment from it. I actually started to wonder WTF I was doing. It's the kind of mindless TRIBBLE you'd expect some min wage job to ask you to do...
  • babybluebriefsbabybluebriefs Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Lol, I love it. You speak up for the buff and suddenly you're a bad player who can't build ships, sucks at STO, and needs help, all this told to you by someone who takes it upon themselves to write a five paragraph essay detailing your errors when they in fact know absolutely nothing about you, your play-style, or builds. Oh forums, you so funny. XD