test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Has your Medium to Small Starbase been ground to a Halt?

Comments

• skyranger1414skyranger1414 Member Posts: 1,785 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    squonkman wrote: »
    I just can't wait to face the tier 3 upgrades and the gazillion dil involved in them.

Why do that to yourself and remaining fleetmates. Join a larger fleet as a group. Large fleets aren't sailing thru projects either, many of not most will happily take in players.
    chalpen wrote: »
    this was the plan all along. It is hard now and people are dropping smaller fleets.

Yes, but we were told this. We knew it was coming and why and people clung to hope.
  • born2bwild1born2bwild1 Member Posts: 1,329 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Why do that to yourself and remaining fleetmates. Join a larger fleet as a group. Large fleets aren't sailing thru projects either, many of not most will happily take in players.

Yes, but we were told this. We knew it was coming and why and people clung to hope.

I would also like to know what what the avg fleet of between 100-200 is doing.

I thought the Starbases where supposed to have a lot of other functions and events - but they just seem like a gated store?

Were they not supposed to have alerts and fleet actions and things?

Are larger fleets actually doing alot of stuff together? Most of the new content seems to be solo focased? nd if the content now and going ahead is solo focased what is the point of fleets - especially large fleets - just as a store? That is incredibly stupid!!

And a store where only certain people can buy?
  • scififan78scififan78 Member Posts: 1,383 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    My fleet is very small with only about 6-8 active players now. We are working on the T-2 shipyard now. We are not givng up but, we are in no hurry either. The starbase is a luxury for us right now. We haven't even begun the Embassy work yet.
    edited December 2012
    scififan78 wrote: »
    My fleet is very small with only about 6-8 active players now. We are working on the T-2 shipyard now. We are not givng up but, we are in no hurry either. The starbase is a luxury for us right now. We haven't even begun the Embassy work yet.

everyone says this "only" X active players now, where has everyone gone?
  • mimey2mimey2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    From what I've been able to gather, my fleet is one of the handful with a tier 4 starbase. We aren't the full 500-member mega-fleets though, but larger than most, and with some quite dedicated folks.

Even so, while we have managed to hit tier 4 Sb, along with tier 1 across the board Embassy already, things aren't as quick as they were pre-season 7. PLUS a tier 3 Klingon side base too, also with tier 1 embassy (but not quite tier 1 across the board yet).

It isn't so easy anymore. People aren't logging on, the projects aren't being filled like they once were. Oh they DO get filled, and while things being slow means more people have a chance at least to fill them.

Even being a bigger fleet, I guess we might qualify for the higher end of the 'medium size' fleet, we're slowed a lot.

But I highly doubt the mega-fleets are hurting at all from what I've seen. They seem to be chugging along right as rain regardless.

The foundry exploit was an exploit, but damn if it didn't help fleets out so much. With nothing to ease the fleet mark burden (the biggest problem my fleet has ALWAYS had), it's not going to get any better or easier anytime soon unless something is done.

I don't ask for the foundry exploit back, or free dil, just easy to farm fleet marks again. It hurts NO ONE.
    I remain empathetic to the concerns of my community, but do me a favor and lay off the god damn name calling and petty remarks. It will get you nowhere.
    I must admit, respect points to Trendy for laying down the law like that.
    edited December 2012
    But with Season 7 the game is becoming more and more solo play - so what is the point of fleets?

And the Fleet gear is not needed except for PvP - so what is the point of starbases?

No-one needs Fleet ships for PvE

i am trying to wrap my brain around what is the purpose for fleets/starbases as the game moves more toward solo content.
  • nikkyvixnikkyvix Member Posts: 241 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    aelfwin1 wrote: »
    I would ask a different question : how much time do you spend at your starbase ?
    Because aside from what you get out of them (fleet ships) , that should be the #2 point of interest for investing in such a monumental effort .

Our starbase is not used for much at all. There is a dearth of reasons to really spend time at a starbase, Federation bases being primarily big empty husks with a few shiny baubles tucked away in the corner that cost 200k a pop for Dilithium to provide. This cost is not a pleasant thing to some of those smaller fleets out there.

As my fleet's leader on a roughly 15-active (out of 120 unique persons total) fleet, I still rue the day I scheduled some of those projects for my fleet only to watch them go largely ignored, particularly the ones that serve extremely limited aesthetic value and virtually no value as a utility.

That shiny glass conference table with the 200,000d price tag sitting up in the ops conference room, collecting dust, for example. Dilithium which, had I known what was to come, I would've had my fleet save for more important things, communal and personal.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Artist Formerly Known As Nikotaka ][ Join Date: Jan 2010
    "Can anyone remember when we used to be explorers...?"
    edited December 2012
    nikkyvix wrote: »
    Our starbase is not used for much at all. There is a dearth of reasons to really spend time at a starbase, Federation bases being primarily big empty husks with a few shiny baubles tucked away in the corner that cost 200k a pop for Dilithium to provide. This cost is not a pleasant thing to some of those smaller fleets out there.

As my fleet's leader on a roughly 15-active (out of 120 unique persons total) fleet, I still rue the day I scheduled some of those projects for my fleet only to watch them go largely ignored, particularly the ones that serve extremely limited aesthetic value and virtually no value as a utility.

That shiny glass conference table with the 200,000d price tag sitting up in the ops conference room, collecting dust, for example. Dilithium which, had I known what was to come, I would've had my fleet save for more important things, communal and personal.

you say 15 active? out of 120 people? What do the rest do? That's what I can't understand - how some fleets can have 100+ people inactive - how does this work?
  • bladerielbladeriel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    We're a super small fleet with only three active and one semi-active players, yet we have reached 50k Starbase Science XP and just filled the Upgrade Communications Array III project yesterday, and now working towards upgrading the starbase to tier III and reaching tier III in tactical and engineering. (we're at ~45k and ~42k respectively). Also, we've already completed Embassy tier I.
    Ground to a halt? Not at all. Slowed down? Yes.

Why do we do it? Why Captain Kirk is climbing a mountain?
    Saving the 4th fleet - my Foundry mission live on Holodeck. Have fun!
  • atomictikiatomictiki Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    mimey2 wrote: »
    The foundry exploit was an exploit, but damn if it didn't help fleets out so much. With nothing to ease the fleet mark burden (the biggest problem my fleet has ALWAYS had), it's not going to get any better or easier anytime soon unless something is done.

It was not an exploit.

An exploit is the use of a bug or glitches, rates, hit boxes, or speed, etc. by a player to their advantage in a manner not intended by the game's designers. The foundry mission was live for a year, and was even augmented with fleet marks on purpose by the devs. If it was an exploit, the use of short missions would have been banned quickly. It wasn't until Stahl and PWE needed to strangle the game economy to squeeze a few more dollars out of the whales.
    Leave nerfing to the professionals.
  • nicha0nicha0 Member Posts: 1,456 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    We are a medium sized fleet with 70ish members including alts.

At the start of S7 we were completing less than a project a day, compared to 3 projects in S6. The nerf to Defera fleet marks basically killed 2 or 3 groups running for a total of 500 marks a day per group. Even on off days we could get a couple Defera runs and other marks to fill two projects. It took us nearly 2 weeks after S7 to start our first upgrade to tier 4, it was supposed to be 3 days.

Right now we've got people refocusing and getting 2 projects done daily, how long that will last is unclear, so many people have just stopped logging in, or log in much much less.

They desperately need to put in better fleet mark sources, a daily dose of fleet marks like we used to have helped the fleet so much. I could encourage people to log on daily, help the fleet.. now they can't do much of anything without serious time commitments, which some just don't have.
    Delirium Tremens
    Completed Starbase, Embassy, Mine, Spire and No Win Scenario
    Nothing to do anymore.
    http://dtfleet.com/
    Visit our Youtube channel
  • usiell#2598 usiell Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    we went from 10 very active, to 2 semi active, including myself in the latter

we're barely through projects progressing to tier II

i gave up contributing to the projects shortly after season 7 came out

when you're the only person doing it anymore, you kinda loose patience

also, Vanguard Federation is recruiting =P
  • chalpenchalpen Member Posts: 2,207 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    valoreah wrote: »
    It's a shame they never learn from past experience either. This was the same issue back when bases were introduced with City of Villains. The "average" fleet/group size was grossly overestimated, so the majority of the groups - which were small, casual groups - suffered and gave up on the feature entirely.

Our group didn't mind working for something. With that said, what bases offer for the amount of work that goes into them is just not worth it IMO.

It works beautifully. Imagine this, you are in a medium fleet that falls apart because try cant compete with big fleets in the shipyard.
    Then everyone joins big fleets. You hate most of the people and have half of them on ignore but you trudge along to compete the starbase.
    Next spring it will be all done and cryptic announces that starbase cost will now take 1/3 te cost and 1/3 the time.
    You drop those jerks and restart the old fleet again.
    Ignoring the fact that 1/3 the cost and 1/3 the time still means for at least 1/3 the time cryptic is getting something out of it.
    Double dipping.
    Trust me, this has always been the plan.
    Cryptic isn't evil, they are just trying to get paid like everyone else.
    Should I start posting again after all this time?
    edited December 2012
    It works beautifully. Imagine this, you are in a medium fleet that falls apart because try cant compete with big fleets in the shipyard.
    Then everyone joins big fleets. You hate most of the people and have half of them on ignore but you trudge along to compete the starbase.
    Next spring it will be all done and cryptic announces that starbase cost will now take 1/3 te cost and 1/3 the time.
    You drop those jerks and restart the old fleet again.
    Ignoring the fact that 1/3 the cost and 1/3 the time still means for at least 1/3 the time cryptic is getting something out of it.
    Double dipping.
    Trust me, this has always been the plan.
    Cryptic isn't evil, they are just trying to get paid like everyone else.

your assuming that all those people will still be around?

Is that how big fleets really work? most people ignore each other? What a joke!
  • bones1970bones1970 Member Posts: 953 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Our Starbase so close to death, 75k, 67k, 59k. Embassy slowly going 17k & 15k.
    The fleet marks are hard to get in the amount we need every day, also for the last 3 days the Fleet event (daily's) were missing.
    Togetter with the Reputation system and Dilitium we need, something must give, and its the fleet that suffer.
  • hanoverhanover Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Yes. Take a deep breath, calm down and think rationally. The resources sunk into the base are gone, but if you care about using the perks of a high level base what will be better for you and your remaining fleetmate? To never get there or to cut your loses now and join a larger fleet?

You can always move an alt into your old base so its not lost forever, even if you never go into it again knowing that an alt is keeping your old fleet and by extension your old base alive helps a lot.

No offense, but P*SS on that. The day they killed the one-click foundry missions was the exact point where maintaining "alts" requires more time than I am able to invest. My two-man fleet is edging slowly towards shipyard tier 3 right now, and I'll be d@mned if all that grinding will be allowed to go to waste.
    Does Arc install a root kit? Ask a Dev today!
    edited December 2012
    bones1970 wrote: »
    Our Starbase so close to death, 75k, 67k, 59k. Embassy slowly going 17k & 15k.
    The fleet marks are hard to get in the amount we need every day, also for the last 3 days the Fleet event (daily's) were missing.
    Togetter with the Reputation system and Dilitium we need, something must give, and its the fleet that suffer.

And as you get close to Tier 4 - you get close to the 5,000,000 dilthium cost of upgrade!
  • echodarksidedechodarksided Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    As a member of Jupiter Force I sympathize with the plight of small fleets, because you are not going to complete your Starbase to Tier V. It won't be because of desire or effort, it is a simple matter of MATH and TIME.

As a large fleet we struggle to find the fleet marks to sustain projects in the haul between Tier IV and Tier V, and that is despite having a hundred characters maxed in DOFFs and 30+ people active everyday. With all the various gated systems in the game, not to mention playstyles, it's simply not possible right now to get enough fleet marks to sustain 3 projects a day unless everyone actively farms fleet marks, and fleets simply can't ask members to do this every day for months and months with no end in sight.

Our KDF Starbase is stuck at upgrade for Tier IV. We filled everything but fleet marks, including 1,900,000 dilithium, very easily... but it will take the rest of the year to farm the 24000 fleet marks. If it takes a large active fleet like Jupiter Force a month to fill fleet marks on a Starbase upgrade project, I'm sorry but it suggests to me smaller fleets have no shot in hell of filling it in a way that sustains momentum and active engagement with the system by members of small fleets.

The way STO has disconnected players from the various currencies required to pace progress to the content systems in the game is the failure of Season 7, and probably the single best thing STO could do to encourage players to try TOR F2P. It is hard to imagine the balance sheet at PWE will see Season 7 as anything other than a massive flop, and the reason is because "it's the economy stupid" - so the phrase goes.

I note Dan Stahl isn't engaged with the community much over the last few weeks. Probably smart, he is the face of fail in Season 7, and all his economic theories failed miserably... evidenced by the exodus of player activity shortly after season 7 launch.
  • l0cutus359l0cutus359 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    As a member of Jupiter Force I sympathize with the plight of small fleets, because you are not going to complete your Starbase to Tier V. It won't be because of desire or effort, it is a simple matter of MATH and TIME.

As a large fleet we struggle to find the fleet marks to sustain projects in the haul between Tier IV and Tier V, and that is despite having a hundred characters maxed in DOFFs and 30+ people active everyday. With all the various gated systems in the game, not to mention playstyles, it's simply not possible right now to get enough fleet marks to sustain 3 projects a day unless everyone actively farms fleet marks, and fleets simply can't ask members to do this every day for months and months with no end in sight.

Our KDF Starbase is stuck at upgrade for Tier IV. We filled everything but fleet marks, including 1,900,000 dilithium, very easily... but it will take the rest of the year to farm the 24000 fleet marks. If it takes a large active fleet like Jupiter Force a month to fill fleet marks on a Starbase upgrade project, I'm sorry but it suggests to me smaller fleets have no shot in hell of filling it in a way that sustains momentum and active engagement with the system by members of small fleets.

The way STO has disconnected players from the various currencies required to pace progress to the content systems in the game is the failure of Season 7, and probably the single best thing STO could do to encourage players to try TOR F2P. It is hard to imagine the balance sheet at PWE will see Season 7 as anything other than a massive flop, and the reason is because "it's the economy stupid" - so the phrase goes.

I note Dan Stahl isn't engaged with the community much over the last few weeks. Probably smart, he is the face of fail in Season 7, and all his economic theories failed miserably... evidenced by the exodus of player activity shortly after season 7 launch.

Good summary

Get rid of the three kinds of Marks.....and just have plain Marks, let me decided how I want to obtain Marks and where to apply them. It would also help if we could exchange Dil for Marks too. There are just too many Marks, currencies, crystals, etc to manage with all the gated projects.

Plus, the Fleet Mark payouts during the 2-hour bonus for Fleet missions needs to be permanent.

Thx
    Locutus
    Locutus

Delirium Tremens
    Tier 4 Starbase, Tier 3 Embassy
    http://dtfleet.com/
    edited December 2012
    Or...

You realize it's not worth the effort give up on the game entirely. No more money for anyone that way.

Sorry but sto is a f2p game.
    F2p developers don't care about keeping players. They only care about the influx of new people and the 10% of them that may purchase a new shiney before they leave.
    Sheer weight of numbers man.
  • echodarksidedechodarksided Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    One more thing.

The reason Dilithium is going up slightly on the exchange is not because there is more Dilithium in the game, there is still a substantial glut in Dilithium and everyone is earning less on average.

However we also have a huge fleet mark shortage in STO, and the result is less Dilithium is needed because across the entire population the progress of Starbases has slowed down enough Dilithium is no longer needed at the quantity necessary to pace the slowdown primarily due to fleet marks.

The depression of multiple economies in the game suggests that, in MMO terms, the STO economy is in a major depression. You can still get ahead in one area if dedicated, but most folks do so knowing they are not advancing in several other areas. Worth noting that most people are advancing in the Omega reputation system exclusively on their reward pack, and not by actually doing STFs in Season 7. Eventually all the stockpiles of marks and dilithium from the STF conversion will dry up, which means until then it is still a long way to the floor of this economy.
    edited December 2012
    One more thing.

The reason Dilithium is going up slightly on the exchange is not because there is more Dilithium in the game, there is still a substantial glut in Dilithium and everyone is earning less on average.

However we also have a huge fleet mark shortage in STO, and the result is less Dilithium is needed because across the entire population the progress of Starbases has slowed down enough Dilithium is no longer needed at the quantity necessary to pace the slowdown primarily due to fleet marks.

The depression of multiple economies in the game suggests that, in MMO terms, the STO economy is in a major depression. You can still get ahead in one area if dedicated, but most folks do so knowing they are not advancing in several other areas. Worth noting that most people are advancing in the Omega reputation system exclusively on their reward pack, and not by actually doing STFs in Season 7. Eventually all the stockpiles of marks and dilithium from the STF conversion will dry up, which means until then it is still a long way to the floor of this economy.
    Dilithium is worth a lot because of artificial inflation by cryptic. The cap and the need for dilithium everywhere is creating this.
    Cryptic cant raise te cap because peoe will play there alts less. Less alts = less $ for cryptic.
  • martakurillmartakurill Member Posts: 456 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    So, my four man fleet is stalling out at a Tier 3 starbase, Tier 3 Mil/Sci/Eng, with a Tier 3 Transwarp gate. Will take us probably a few weeks to run the last few projects needed, but this is where it ends. The grind to get that shiny Tier 5 shipyard we want is mind boggling, so we're not even going to try.

You know, I think Cryptic overestimates the dedication people have to STO...and this is coming from someone who loves this game. Its so weird to me, when I think about it.

I'd go home and pay $50 today to upgrade my Regent to a Fleet Regent (I know its a marginal boost), just because I'm that kind of player.

I will not go home and grind fleet marks every day (even if I were part of a larger fleet), playing the same three pieces of content or so, for that same marginal upgrade two years from now for $5. Just not going to happen.

So, what happens, Cryptic gets $0 from me, not $5, not $50. I just don't see the logic.

I get that the astronomical costs were meant as a time filler for the game, but that's been done now. All the time it is really going to fill has been filled. So Cryptic, just change this now. Lower the fleet mark costs of projects, raise the amount xp granted by tier 4 and tier 5 projects, and lower the xp needed to reach each tier. This game, according to you, is dominated by more casual players. Make it more accessible to them, and do it now.
  • atomictikiatomictiki Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Dilithium is worth a lot because of artificial inflation by cryptic. The cap and the need for dilithium everywhere is creating this.
    Cryptic cant raise te cap because peoe will play there alts less. Less alts = less $ for cryptic.

They're already killed alt-ing with S7.
    Leave nerfing to the professionals.
    edited December 2012
    atomictiki wrote: »
    They're already killed alt-ing with S7.

The people who do not alt in s7 do not know what they are doing.
    One hour a day is all that is required per character to get to the romulan/omega/dilithium limits.
    If you have 3 hrs of gametime per night utilize 3 alts.
    If you have one hour, get out your wallet.
  • hanoverhanover Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    If you have one hour, get out your wallet.

To that sentiment, I respond, from the bottom of my heart, KISS MY GRITS.
    Does Arc install a root kit? Ask a Dev today!
    edited December 2012
    hanover2 wrote: »
    To that sentiment, I respond, from the bottom of my heart, KISS MY GRITS.

But there is a small percentage of people (lets give them the name "mark") out of the thousands that quit and start the game anew day in and day out, that will.
    Take that percentage and times it by what they buy and times that by the number of days in a quarter. Cryptic takes that and gives it to pwe and pwe shares that with its shareholder.
    Rinse repeat.
    This isn't rocket science.
  • nikkyvixnikkyvix Member Posts: 241 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    you say 15 active? out of 120 people? What do the rest do? That's what I can't understand - how some fleets can have 100+ people inactive - how does this work?

We've been a fleet in STO since launch day. The 120 number is just people who aren't active lately, haven't come back, etc. Especially based on a huge jump we had from when F2P went active, getting tons of people who joined the fleet as first-time players and for whatever reason decided not to become dedicated or consistent players. Some log back in months later to see what new content's been added. Some don't.

Pretty sure there're plenty of old fleets with tons of unremoved players on their rosters after 2.8 years.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Artist Formerly Known As Nikotaka ][ Join Date: Jan 2010
    "Can anyone remember when we used to be explorers...?"
    edited December 2012
    I highly doubt Cryptic/PWE has no interest in player retention.

After 10 years of failing mmo subs and trying to cater and retain players the f2p model is a cure for that.
  • talientalien Member Posts: 712 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    The fleet I'm in has over 30 members, many of them were active during S5 and S6, but now the fleet is all but dead since mid S6 because of the exhorbitant dilithium costs for the upgrade/provisioning projects. Just 3 or 4 people who even log in at all, and only one of them regularly (and that's not me) is what's left. Since S7 most of us who have logged in at all, including myself, have only done it for doffs or omega/rom marks out of curiosity to see what's available with the rep system since it doesn't cost much to raise it in the early tiers. But at this point I only log in to browse exchange while I'm surfing the web, and for the Q photo daily in winter wonderland.