test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

If you arent using the foundry...

lecutestofborglecutestofborg Member Posts: 9 Arc User
If you arent using the foundry, why not? And what would encourage you to actually use it? For me, it is the fact that it takes at least a couple of hours to play 3 foundry missions, but the reward is the same thing I can get playing the exploration daily. Basically, there are more valuable things to spend the same amount of time on. What about you?
Post edited by lecutestofborg on

Comments

• rustiswordzrustiswordz Member Posts: 824 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    1: they took away the 1 clicky D cashpoint machine outside the ESD/ DS9/ Qonos transporter areas.

2: Most players are casual players. With all the grind, grind, grind for dill, marks, ec now just to proceed anywhere nobody has the time to do a foundry. Even if its 10 mins long.

&

3. 99.999% of all foundry missons have been brain killing borefests. 9/10 for effort, -10000 for the fact foundry missons stink.
    Monkey see, Monkey do. Monkey flings Feathered Monkey poo... :D
  • trenttylertrenttyler Member Posts: 110 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I dont use the foundry becuase i have never supported Cryptics attempt at making our actual playable content, player created. Thats what they get paid for, not the players.

I dont think anything will make me play the Foundry missions. While i have played one or two that have gotten alot of attention and accolades, and knowing there are some truly talented players that make missions, i dont want to log into a game i paid for and then LTS, only to see it go F2P, and have the devs spend the bulk of their time on Cstore TRIBBLE and not finishing/fixing the game.

Maybe if Cryptic fixes bugs in game since launch, and finally finish the KDF faction, like it was promised to us in the 90 patch, maybe then i will take a look at the foundry in depth.

Just my 2 cents
  • chikahirochikahiro Member Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I don't use the Foundry due to lack of interest. If they had guest writers (say, JMS wrote one, or the Penny Arcade guys, or maybe Wil Wheaton, etc) or one of my friends made something, I'd play that, but otherwise? Nah. I've got things I enjoy doing to do otherwise :)

My blog! Zen|Dilithium tracking on Thursdays
    http://samonmaui.blogspot.com
    As a lifetime member of STO, I officially became a financial liability as of April 2012 when compared to a subscriber.
  • twg042370twg042370 Member Posts: 2,312 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Unlike the above, I'd prefer some good writers if the plan was for famous people.

But generally, the few I tried were too fan ficcy. I have a toon that I plan to use for only Foundry but there's no foundry now..
    <3
  • captainmerzancaptainmerzan Member Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    If you arent using the foundry, why not? And what would encourage you to actually use it? For me, it is the fact that it takes at least a couple of hours to play 3 foundry missions, but the reward is the same thing I can get playing the exploration daily. Basically, there are more valuable things to spend the same amount of time on. What about you?

sence they took out the clicky console, i havent played it, trying to force me to play them pushed me away, i use to once and a while play a foundry one for the fun of it, but sence they feel like they need to make me do it now i wont do them al all, alot of foundry authors are long winded, why play an hour or two for rewards you can get alot faster playing other things, but i would meet them half way if they droped it back to playing 1 mission for the rewards i might consider it, but thats they only way i might would , personaly
  • ragsyragsy Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I don't care for foundry missions, because most of them take a rediculously long time and make my brain hurt. I can go do the exploration daily for the same amount of dilithium, or 6 borg STF's in the same time it takes me to run through three 20~30 minute foundry missions.

The new time requirment is silly, imo.
  • hrisvalarhrisvalar Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    If they added a Foundry mission reputation system, so there'd be something Foundry missions granted you that we just couldn't get any way else, I'd play them more. With the dilithium, this marks and that marks ratrace, the slow-earned reward on the Foundry daily just isn't competitive enough when the priorities have to be decided on.

(At 15 minutes a mission, ESTFs played across the same span of time yield twice the dilithium, but honestly... not that many Foundry missions last only 15 minutes. Certainly not the really good ones. And no, while you might say it should be, the enjoyment is not its own reward. People still leave the game to go to work or go to school, cause they need the money, or they need the college credit, just as in the game itself we need the dilithium and whatnots. This works to the detriment of Foundry missions as the gap is sufficiently large that it feels like a wasteful activity. I understand the Clicky needed to go, but never bought the notion of the more optimistic Foundry authors, that this change would get their missions the exposure, and them the adulation, which they deserved.)

Of course, what the unique rewards in a Foundry based reputation system should be exactly, I don't know. Doff versions of key characters from spotlight missions, definately. (Which would be a constantly growing store.) But beyond that, I can't say what really would be doable and appropriate. Still, there'd be some titles and passives in it, I suppose, and I think the Active skill at the end should use our tricorders for something or other. Make scans, not war.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Reave
  • reynoldsxdreynoldsxd Member Posts: 977 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    FOUNDRY MISSIONS ARE TOO DAM* TEXT HEAVY!

And im fine with that.

The fact is that palyers want to tell storys in star trek, the foundry gives them the option. Players can play these missions and experience these storys, or not. Noone is forced into it, its optional content of varying quality.

Just remove the dili reward alltogther and the problem will be dealt with.

Its a silent bribe cryptic gives to the players to soothe over the fact that they skimp on delivering content.

"here play these missions instead, get some dili and fck off"
  • dma1986dma1986 Member Posts: 541 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Buggy missions kill it for me.

Found the "spend over 20 minutes in the mission, and then find it's broken" problem too many times to view it as a viable use of my time.
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    To me, the foundry just isn't a viable tool....

I mean, seriousy: I can remove a planet from the map, but not a NPC contact? And how about timed and scripted events.

Now I am sure there are people out there who will immediatly go in "but you can just have a hidden fight as timer", or "just drop a box on it, so you cant see the NPC"... Yea sorry... Those are poor... I won't even call them workarounds, cause you can't control it, just nudge it in a semi illogical direction.

As long as they won't at least put some efford into making it a at least partially handy tool, I won't even bother with it.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • darkenzedddarkenzedd Member Posts: 881
    edited November 2012
    I have no problem with the foundry. I have played some good missions in there that far exceed what Cryptic have done.
    The thing is, I used to do the clicky missions because it was part of my routine at the academy bank area.

I will still play the odd foundry mission every now and then, but there is no way I am spending 15 minutes per mission or above which equals an hour or thereabouts to get 1440 Dilthium.
    My time is worth more than that....
  • curs0rcurs0r Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    anazonda wrote: »
    To me, the foundry just isn't a viable tool....

I mean, seriousy: I can remove a planet from the map, but not a NPC contact? And how about timed and scripted events.

Now I am sure there are people out there who will immediatly go in "but you can just have a hidden fight as timer", or "just drop a box on it, so you cant see the NPC"... Yea sorry... Those are poor... I won't even call them workarounds, cause you can't control it, just nudge it in a semi illogical direction.

As long as they won't at least put some efford into making it a at least partially handy tool, I won't even bother with it.

I'm going to have to agree with you. It's far too rigid and incomplete. I really want to finish the story I began with my first foundry mission, but I will have to wait for updates so that it doesn't play exactly like the first. There are just some inconvenient limitations to it. I can use the Intrepid ship in space, but if I beam over to it as part of the story, there's no intrepid bridge interior, so the immersion breaks in that instance. That ends up dictating what ship model I can use if I want to beam over to that ship as part of the story. Uncool.

To the OP's point, I didn't use the foundry very often even when the clickies worked for fast dilithium. I don't do the spotlight missions either, as they do not serve any particular interest for me. I am not one of those you'll see clamoring for Cryptic to create more story content. I enjoy complex and articulate non-combat play (See the resource mining and crafting system of a now defunct mmo related to a galaxy far, far away). I think it's reasonable to hope for that from a Star Trek MMO, even if it does not deliver that.
    I'll sell you some weapons from New Romulus. Never fired, only dropped once.
  • ryanevryanev Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    dma1986 wrote: »
    Buggy missions kill it for me.

Found the "spend over 20 minutes in the mission, and then find it's broken" problem too many times to view it as a viable use of my time.

This. The few times I tried to play some foundry mission I ended up being stuck somewhere due to a bug.
    Not to be disrespectful to the authors of the missions, since they probably put a lot of hours into them, but I do have better things to do with my time in the game, than try and play 3 15-20 minute missions that in the end will yield me only 1440.

I'm better off Switching between my 6 chars and grinding ISE if I wanted the rewards.
  • zorbanezorbane Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Seems like a lot of people are focused on the reward not being worth the effort/time needed to play a Foundry mission.
    StarbaseUGC Discord Chat
    Foundry Mission Database
    Check out my Foundry missions:
    Standalone - The Great Escape - The Galaxy's Fair - Purity I: Of Denial - Return to Oblivion
    Untitled Series - Duritanium Man - The Improbable Bulk - Commander Rihan
  • commanderkassycommanderkassy Member Posts: 1,005 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    If you arent using the foundry, why not?

Because it's bereft of any meaningful content or anything I would classify as a story. I've tried. A lot of the popular stuff too. I found it to be very lacking. I admit I do have a deep and personal hatred of fan fiction.
    And what would encourage you to actually use it?

I only used it for the easy dilithium and fleet marks. That's gone, so nothing unless they bring that back.
    ♪ I'm going around not in circles but in spirographs.
    It's pretty much this hard to keep just one timeline intact. ♪
  • zorbanezorbane Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    edited November 2012

For the record I must say you that have the best username ever
    StarbaseUGC Discord Chat
    Foundry Mission Database
    Check out my Foundry missions:
    Standalone - The Great Escape - The Galaxy's Fair - Purity I: Of Denial - Return to Oblivion
    Untitled Series - Duritanium Man - The Improbable Bulk - Commander Rihan
  • walshicuswalshicus Member Posts: 1,314 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    If the Foundry daily mission only needed one to complete rather than three... the rewards would be on par with other content and people would start playing again.

Plus, decent bonus rewards for Spotlight Missions wouldn't hurt either.
    http://mmo-economics.com - analysing the economic interactions in MMOs.
  • oooooonoooooon Member Posts: 73 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    for me its the lack of ability to make my own cutscenes/cinematics. I just dont feel like spending time and energy on making a great story when the tools are so restrictive.

I would like the posibility or recording my own sounds and adding them to the characters on my map.
  • xlocutusofborgxxlocutusofborgx Member Posts: 1,376 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Pretty much I dont do foundry because I see enouph foundry mission ad's, authors asking to be put on everything from milk cartons to web sites.. ok that part wasnt true but it might as well be. And the fact the rewards and time put in isnt enouph to put the time into them.. thats about it for me, how I miss other missions they use to have..sigh.
    borgsignaturecopy2-zpse8618517.png
    R E S I S T A N C E - I S - F U T I L E
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,864 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Because all I have to do is use 5 contraband and wait to earn more dilithium and I have hundreds of contraband in my bank.

It just isn't worth the time unless someone is really bored.
    Can't have a honest conversation because of a white knight with power
  • temp3rustemp3rus Member Posts: 125 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I've used the Foundry both for story and for the "clickie" missions ( just for Dil so I can get some lockbox keys) and there have been some fantastic missions/stories created that put some Cryptic missions to shame.

At this moment I'll probably not play as I'm focused on the new Reputaion system for a few of my 10 characters, I do plan on using a couple of lowbie toons just for the Foundry though.

What would make me play more is adding better rewards or a choice of the reward based around what we have previously received (for the Spotlight missions only) per mission :)

If I was offered 1500 Dill or 50 Fleet marks or a choice of a purple mk level item I would be a happy bunny :)
  • drazursouthclawdrazursouthclaw Member Posts: 223 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    As a Foundry Author of little-to-no repute, I would like to say that I would have a very hard time arguing against any of the points raised in this thread. So I won't. Because they're all valid.

What I will do is say that finding a Foundry Author whose work you like can extend the value of your playtime emotionally.

For instance, my favourite author ( chooch99 ) has a few missions (loosely) based on Tomorrow When The War Began, which is basically an Aussie version of Red Dawn (GO WOLVERINES!). I like the 'flavour' or the 'vibe' of his work more than the actual official missons, because Foundry Content is less tied down to official rules. It's not better as such, it just resonates with me more.

It makes me feel like I'm watching an episode of TNG. And I wouldn't trade THAT for all the Dilithium in the world. Because where else will I get that feeling for free? Sure, I can watch the old TNG episodes, but I know how all the stories end now.

Those of us who grew up on Star Trek, please consider this: An episode of any of the Star Trek series takes longer to watch than many of the Foundry Missions, and you don't feel ripped off if you don't have dilithium from that.

And I'll close off with a big tip for anyone who doesn't know where to start: I've found that if the author didn't interest you with their Foundry mission description, then the Foundry mission itself probably won't interest you.

Also, can I have props for not plugging any of my work in this thread? ;)
  • tanhousertanhouser Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Because it isn't turned back on...
  • bluedarkybluedarky Member Posts: 548 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    oooooon wrote: »
    I would like the posibility or recording my own sounds and adding them to the characters on my map.

They can't do that for the exact same reason that they don't let you upload your own personal fleet logo. Because they'd need to check each sound you recorded to make sure it's suitable for the games rating.
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    bluedarky wrote: »
    They can't do that for the exact same reason that they don't let you upload your own personal fleet logo. Because they'd need to check each sound you recorded to make sure it's suitable for the games rating.

... and that it dosent contain copyrighted material, ToS infringement and pretty much everything involved in freedom of speech.

It's actually a good thing, or this game would probably be the house of nudity and p*rn by now
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • tribblequeentribblequeen Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I never really used the foundry personally. Not really sure what would get me to start using it; I have tried it and keep drawing a blank; so for me it's just coming up with ideas to make something in it. Heh.

But I do love the foundry, it's always nice to see what other players are creating out there. It opens up doors for more content; which is wonderful.:o

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    STO Member Since November 2010 | Tribbles are Friends NOT Food!
  • nx420nx420 Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    anazonda wrote: »
    ... It's actually a good thing, or this game would probably be the house of nudity and p*rn by now

If that were the case, I'd actually play them! ;)

Seriously, it's a time v. reward thing ... not worth the time now. I used to do the Nagus (UFP) missions for the daily. They were no different than any of the exploration dailies, or "Aid the Deferi".

So, no, not interested any more ... of course if there was nudity ... :rolleyes:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • collegepark2151collegepark2151 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I only do foundry stuff now when I'm looking for an episode-type format. Typically I only have time to play that type of mission on the weekends, so it's fairly sporadic for me.

I used the clickies for the two weeks I knew they existed before being taken away, but last time I looked just about every mission now has a red disclaimer saying it is not eligible for dilithium rewards, so I'm not going to waste my time just for the dilithium rewards since there are better ways to get them.

TL;DR -> I play the foundry for fun when I have the time, not for any kind of "material" rewards. (Doesn't feel right calling a bunch of pixels "material".)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Porthos is not amused.
  • dareaudareau Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited November 2012

My problem is attempting to keep up with the "paying" content - even in S6, as a member of a "smallish" fleet, I was consigned to nothing but mark-activities in an effort to get my base barely into tier 1 (needing to upgrade shipyard to make the base Tier II). That, and I could sorta afford to keep up most of my Dil needs via the occasional dip into the exchange, mostly for those 200k projects that I felt were worth (when I got them) about $10...

Now that the special projects are approaching the $20/per (when the exchange hits 1 zen = 100 dil), and the need for Omega and Rommie marks, I find that my base will join the ranks of the "mostly abandoned" as I forsee most of my playtime shifting into reputation-mark and dilithium granting play, partially because I'm getting burnt out on Nukara and zipping around diplomacy-DOffing for the marks...
    Detecting big-time "anti-old-school" bias here. NX? Lobi. TOS/TMP Connie? Super-promotion-box. (aka the two hardest ways to get ships) Excelsior & all 3 TNG "big hero" ships? C-Store. Please Equalize...

To rob a line: [quote: Mariemaia Kushrenada] Forum Posting is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever. However, opinions will change upon the reading of my post.[/quote]
  • whitecloud197whitecloud197 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I have never used the foundry,

Mostly because I dont really know how I geuss, I dont want to get stuck in some crappy made episode and waste my time I dont have a lot of time to play star trek on line as it is.

I geuss I just never looked into it.

I would love to make a foundry mission tho, perhaps its something to look into.