test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

If you arent using the foundry...

Comments

• velktravelktra Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Right now I'm not using it because most of the "approved" missions I've tried to play are bugged and won't complete. :rolleyes:
    Demons run when a good man goes to war.
  • xantrisxantris Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Better time/reward return. It should only be one mission to get the daily with a min 15 min requirement. , This is such a trivial and obvious change that I can't fathom why it hasn't been done.
  • hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I don't play the foundry much these days other than for "combat simulation" missions when I get the itch to shoot at things.

In the past, I played the foundry quite a lot, but grew tired of encountering Mary Sues and Gary Stus, uninteresting plots, beautiful but buggy custom maps, and playing through very long 3-5 missions thinking they would be great but end up ultimately being bored and disappointed in the end. Not to mention I grew tired of the sheer arrogance and superiority complex some of these Foundry authors tend to display.

I doubt I'll ever dive into the foundry again except for the occasional spotlight mission.
  • hanoverhanover Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    99% of foundry missions are complete garbage, and I have no time to devote to finding the rare decent one. My one and only interest was using 1-click missions to grind "investigate officer reports" and make my 2-man fleet grind a little less glacial.
    Does Arc install a root kit? Ask a Dev today!
  • cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    edited November 2012
  • lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Didn't have a couple of tools I needed until recently, but between S7's lockout, the new grindfest eating what little time I have, the new award qualifications for the daily officer reports and my own subscription hassles with PWE's billing department I've all but given up finishing what I've been working on.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • joenatljoenatl Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    This is a repeated comment, but they are really not worth the time for the reward. Every time I look through the foundry missions all I see is fan fiction with warnings of "has a lot of dialogue" or "this is for serious RP." I dont want to spend an hour playing someone else fan fiction only to get stuck in a wall or some other error on the mission and have it go to nothing.

Yes I used the clickers. But now I will focus on other ways to get the Dilithium. Instead of wasting a couple hours on the foundry, I'll just do three RA and save time on getting the same reward.
  • drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited November 2012
    Foundry is pretty much the only thing I do in this game.

Why? Because it's where the real spirit of Star Trek is. Due respect to Cryptic, but everything they have added to this game recently has been a grind, whether its starbases, embassies or reputation. Sorry, but buying loads of stuff from the replicator and then turning it around and plugging it into a UI so I can get a reward that I don't need for anything doesn't scream Star Trek to me.

I've done all the STFs, so now what? The adventure zones and the one-off group missions are fun for a little bit but I don't feel the need to do them 80 million times. For me, they get old after about the fifth or sixth time. I love the space battles in Star Trek as much as anyone, but the paper-thin "story" happening here just isn't enough.

The Foundry is where the real creative aspect of Star Trek is alive. I would argue that the stories created in the Foundry are more legitimate, because they were created for fans, by fans in their spare time because they love Star Trek, not people pulling down a paycheck.

Yes, many of them are text-heavy. Welcome to MMOs. Unless you have something fully voices like The Old Republic, YOU WILL HAVE TO READ, get over it. Yes, it's an imperfect tool. You think given the state of the rest of the game we we're going to get the be-all end-all of UGC tools? Manage your expectations dude.

But if I understand aright all that I have heard, most of the people on these forums don't give a TRIBBLE about story or about Star Trek. Oh, you might see a lot of threads saying "Where's the story?" or "This doesn't feel like Trek." But then read this thread, read the ones talking about eliminating the one-click dailies or taking dilithium out of the STFs, and you'll see that there's a huge portion of people on these forums who just want to grind. Whether that represents the game's population as a whole, only Cryptic could tell us. But I guarantee you this, if a huge amount of people weren't participating in the grind, Cryptic wouldn't keep adding to it.

I say play for fun and you'll have more fun. Play to enjoy the experience of playing, that's a better reward than some MkXII shield. However, I also say play the way you want to play. So if you want to grind, fine, but if so then the Foundry isn't for you. If all you want is moar dil, please don't play my missions, there are better options for you out there.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • bluedarkybluedarky Member Posts: 548 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    anazonda wrote: »
    ... and that it dosent contain copyrighted material, ToS infringement and pretty much everything involved in freedom of speech.

Umm, you are aware that freedom of speech doesn't apply either here or in game right?
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    As far as copyrights go.... anything from Star Trek (canon or otherwise) is fair game, except using the likenesses of the actual actors. You can talk about anything that any of their characters did, you just can't replicate their appearance. You can use them as NPCs, but only if they either aren't seen or don't look like one of the actors who played them on TV.... Interestingly, this means ANYthing from TAS goes. Why? It's ANIMATED. You never see the actual actors anyways. Well, ALMOST anything, anything that isn't a TAS replica of something from TOS...
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • pegasuscicpegasuscic Member Posts: 157 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    oooooon wrote: »
    for me its the lack of ability to make my own cutscenes/cinematics. I just dont feel like spending time and energy on making a great story when the tools are so restrictive.

I would like the posibility or recording my own sounds and adding them to the characters on my map.

This exactly, I don't have time to do three 20 minute missions(if I'm lucky they even work or are that short) on top of the other stuff grind. If they had the reward for now doing only one long one, since the clickies are gone, I would do it. But with doing the STFs and Romulan missions it's easier to collect 960 dil from STFs, do the 440 at STA, do an exploration for 1440. That's like 3,000 dil a day, not as much as I was getting, but enough that I'm not concerning myself blowing hours on foundry stuff for 1440 dil. I have enough dil that I've never spent anyway.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "There's a reason you separate military and the police. One fights the enemies of the state, the other serves and protects the people. When the military becomes both, then the enemies of the state tend to become the people."-Commander William Adama
  • exorace25kexorace25k Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I dont use the foundry because the reward isnt worth the amount of time it takes to get it. Also because they dont even bother to fix easy bugs like music not playing until you engage in combat. Some missions dont have combat right away, and running around in silence is boring.
  • nicha0nicha0 Member Posts: 1,456 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    There is a lot of reasons to not use the foundry and only a few reasons to use it.

1. The game has turned into such a grindfest who has time for the foundry?

2. The foundry missions, on average, are terrible

3. There is no reasonable reward for playing foundry missions

1, 2 alone is going to take almost everyone from playing those missions away. Occasionally you'll find a good mission, but its rare.
    Delirium Tremens
    Completed Starbase, Embassy, Mine, Spire and No Win Scenario
    Nothing to do anymore.
    http://dtfleet.com/
    Visit our Youtube channel
  • exorace25kexorace25k Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    nicha0 wrote: »
    There is a lot of reasons to not use the foundry and only a few reasons to use it.

1. The game has turned into such a grindfest who has time for the foundry?

2. The foundry missions, on average, are terrible

3. There is no reasonable reward for playing foundry missions

1, 2 alone is going to take almost everyone from playing those missions away. Occasionally you'll find a good mission, but its rare.

Well, if #3 wasnt a problem, meaning they did give you a reasonable reward, then #1 might not apply. Because if you got a reasonable amount of dilithium/marks/rep from playing foundry missions, that could take the place of getting that same amount of dilithium/marks/rep from grinding.
    edited November 2012
    You know, you can choose not to participate in the grind. Then you have lots of time to play the game for fun. just sayin...

Also if you're looking for quality missions, we have a handy-dandy list right here. http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=286621

Most of the missions on there have been favorably reviewed by podcasts or in-depth text reviews.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • tieberionetieberione Member Posts: 137 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Most People in this Thread have already said why I stopped using it a few days ago.
    Bugged.

I played through an Hour Long Mission that was semi interesting, and the end...
    Bugged...

Tried one more..... Got to part 3, speak to so and so..... so and so never spawned...
    ../Went and did other stuff that earned me more dilith and was enjoyable with friends.
    Tieberion, Captain of the USS Excalibur NX-97000-B

• jellico1jellico1 Member Posts: 2,719
    edited November 2012
    First Foundry missions need rating to them given by some authority thats grades and catagorizes them into easy to find compartments of player interest

Bugged missions should be removed from the foundry until bug free

second the reward should be equal to the time spent on the mission comparable to fleet actions and stfs
    Jellico....Engineer ground.....Da'val Romulan space Sci
    Saphire.. Science ground......Ko'el Romulan space Tac
    Leva........Tactical ground.....Koj Romulan space Eng

JJ-Verse will never be Canon or considered Lore...It will always be JJ-Verse
    edited November 2012
    tieberione wrote: »
    Tried one more..... Got to part 3, speak to so and so..... so and so never spawned...

That bug should be fixed after today's patch.
  • cormorancormoran Member Posts: 440 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    drogyn1701 wrote: »
    Foundry is pretty much the only thing I do in this game.

Why? Because it's where the real spirit of Star Trek is. Due respect to Cryptic, but everything they have added to this game recently has been a grind, whether its starbases, embassies or reputation. Sorry, but buying loads of stuff from the replicator and then turning it around and plugging it into a UI so I can get a reward that I don't need for anything doesn't scream Star Trek to me.

I've done all the STFs, so now what? The adventure zones and the one-off group missions are fun for a little bit but I don't feel the need to do them 80 million times. For me, they get old after about the fifth or sixth time. I love the space battles in Star Trek as much as anyone, but the paper-thin "story" happening here just isn't enough.

The Foundry is where the real creative aspect of Star Trek is alive. I would argue that the stories created in the Foundry are more legitimate, because they were created for fans, by fans in their spare time because they love Star Trek, not people pulling down a paycheck.

Yes, many of them are text-heavy. Welcome to MMOs. Unless you have something fully voices like The Old Republic, YOU WILL HAVE TO READ, get over it. Yes, it's an imperfect tool. You think given the state of the rest of the game we we're going to get the be-all end-all of UGC tools? Manage your expectations dude.

But if I understand aright all that I have heard, most of the people on these forums don't give a TRIBBLE about story or about Star Trek. Oh, you might see a lot of threads saying "Where's the story?" or "This doesn't feel like Trek." But then read this thread, read the ones talking about eliminating the one-click dailies or taking dilithium out of the STFs, and you'll see that there's a huge portion of people on these forums who just want to grind. Whether that represents the game's population as a whole, only Cryptic could tell us. But I guarantee you this, if a huge amount of people weren't participating in the grind, Cryptic wouldn't keep adding to it.

I say play for fun and you'll have more fun. Play to enjoy the experience of playing, that's a better reward than some MkXII shield. However, I also say play the way you want to play. So if you want to grind, fine, but if so then the Foundry isn't for you. If all you want is moar dil, please don't play my missions, there are better options for you out there.

This reads to me like you're just angry that no one wants to play your fanwank foundry missions. Such a shame that hardly anyone here wants to stroke your ballooning ego. :rolleyes:
  • crusty8maccrusty8mac Member Posts: 1,381 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    The reason I don't use the foundry is that I really don't like reading overly long fan fiction in two-sentence bites. I don't generally like the stories anyway, and there is not enough interesting pew pew.

For those that get into it, more power to you. Just because I don't care for it, doesn't mean it is not a viable and valuable part of the game.

If someone would put together three (or more) good pew pew missions that meet the requirements for the daily, I would probably play those. If someone could point me toward good pew pews (even if they don't meet said requirements), I would probably play those. I just don't have the patience to wade through the mind-numbing fan fiction.
  • nicha0nicha0 Member Posts: 1,456 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    The grind is no long voluntary, to get anything, to achieve anything, you need to grind for some type of mark or dilithium. If the foundry reward was worth your time then people would at least try them, but they won't be.
    Delirium Tremens
    Completed Starbase, Embassy, Mine, Spire and No Win Scenario
    Nothing to do anymore.
    http://dtfleet.com/
    Visit our Youtube channel
  • erraberrab Member Posts: 1,434 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I was really high on the Foundry concept the way Cryptic was building it up in the months before it went live.

Remember when we were told that the Foundry would be a totally new way to level our Characters without ever needing to play any of the Cryptic made missions?

I was extremely disappointed with the way Cryptic released the Foundry, there were no rewards, no skill points for mission completion and no possible way to level a Character via the Foundry at all.

The Daily Wrapper that they latter added to the Foundry IMO still did not help with the Leveling of Characters at all.

I?ve played some great Foundry missions in the past and I?m sure there are many more out there but until Cryptic makes it possible to level a Character from start to max level only using the foundry I feel that playing Foundry missions is just not worth the time.

To this day I still cannot fathom why Cryptic has not taken the best and top rated Foundry Created missions and touched them up and added them to games currently extremely limited amount of non- grinding mission content.

I had always hopped that the Foundry would have been the answer to the mission content starved KDF has well has adding new mission content to the Feds and perhaps even the long awaited Romulan Faction.

It seems that the Foundry in STO has been left to stagnate while Never Winter seems to be getting the Foundry that we were promised.

Am I wrong in my thinking that it would take Cryptic less effort to take some of the better made Foundry missions and add them to the current Cryptic made mission lineup has one off missions or a series of missions than it is for them to have to create all new missions from scratch?

To me it seems that Cryptic is just not willing to put enough effort into making the Foundry a viable source of mission content for STO and that?s just a shame and insult to the Foundry Authors who have crafted some beautiful Star Trek Episodes.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2012
    cormoran wrote: »
    This reads to me like you're just angry that no one wants to play your fanwank foundry missions. Such a shame that hardly anyone here wants to stroke your ballooning ego. :rolleyes:

I get plenty of plays, thanks :D
  • lordkratos1974lordkratos1974 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Cryptic gets paid to make the content, not us players. we get screwed and they make out like a fat rat. I will NOT play any foundry missions that players make.
  • thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,985 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Bring back or make new "Clickys" and the Foundry use count will go back up.

As it is now, I glance nostalgically at the panel as I run by on my way to the Commodities vendor.
  • sloansect31sloansect31 Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Why don't I play missions from the Foundry? Because you just dont know what you are getting...

Personally - I'm here for the space combat... to me, Star Trek battles are more about starship Vs starship than person vs person (god knows why when there are countless examples of ground combat in Star Trek!) - the main issue I have is not having a breakdown of the mission content.

Many Foundry missions are of a "decent" length (ie. 30+ mins) as the author is trying to tell a Trek story - which is awesome... the problem is that I'm in the game for the pew pew not the chat chat. Without knowing how much is space vs ground etc. and an approx time for the mission - I won't touch it.

With the Cryptic mini-series, we knew it would feature each type of combat, some puzzles, and good rewards... with the Foundry its just too hit and miss - even with player ratings.

Also - let's be honest - look at the foundry and how many missions there are... they need to be grouped by series (where appropriate) and have some better layout in the default view because the list of a million and one foundry missions is just a bit too much to deal with to be honest...
  • kyias1kyias1 Member Posts: 98 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    For me it is because it is down IG each time I want to check it out on a whim.
  • harrymonkleyharrymonkley Member Posts: 100 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Latest patch doesn't appear to have fixed the issues with NPCs despawning leaving missions impossible to complete - I picked one at random, and I'm not going inclined to test out any more missions to see if it is an isolated problem on the one I tried.
  • veradodanveradodan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    If you arent using the foundry, why not? And what would encourage you to actually use it? For me, it is the fact that it takes at least a couple of hours to play 3 foundry missions, but the reward is the same thing I can get playing the exploration daily. Basically, there are more valuable things to spend the same amount of time on. What about you?

I've to admit that I'm using the Foundry a few times when on occasion some worthy story became available. I enjoyed both Spotlight's missions as well the now killed Quickies. Indeed, It's worth to note that some quickies were well written Trekkish short stories.
    Due to "Real Life" constraints I'am not able to play 3 Foundry's Spotlight mission at once - due to their mean lenght (around 20 minutes each) - to qualify for the Investigate Officer Reports assignment. So, playing 1 - or when possible 2 - with the remaining being the Quickies (albeit only the more Trekkish & well written) proved extremely useful to me. Sadly, with the Quickies now gone and the 30-minutes Episode lenght requirement (as per Devs saying) to qualify for Investigate Officer Rewards, I cannot play them any longer. Yes, as other people said, they are a very nice part of the game. I must say that I love very much diplomatic stories; but, I love also to play with my fleetmates - both in PvE, PvP. Playing PvE & PvP means having to grind (even more since S7 release - Thank You Cryptic/PWE!) so I cannot put too much time (before S6: 3x 20min. Ep = 60minutes; after S7: 3x 30 min Ep. = 90min = 1hr. 30 min) only in Foundry missions. I have to say that after S7 went live I had to stop playing Foundry missions!
    So, IMHO what can help playing Foundry missions?

1) Quality Foundry missions, of course;
    2) A reduced completion requirement to become eligible for the Investigate Officer Reports (maybe down to only 1 Foundry mission played);
    3) Maybe even an addition of reputation marks to the actual reward of Investigate Officer Reports (I would like to have a 1440 dilithium + 50 Fleet Marks + 50 Romulan Marks + 50 Omega Marks reward!).

To be honest to have Quality Foundry missions one important things Cryptic/PWE should roll-out is a written "How-to" help guide to the Foundry! I started writing with the Foundry since I like - as I said before - diplomacy stories who are sadly neglected by Cryptic writers. However, I found only Audio/Video tutorial - player made - but being only an English as Second Language speaker sometime I struggle to understand such tutorials. Also due to many changes to the Foundry tool...often the same guides/tutorials are outdated.
    So, IMHO a further help could came from:

4) an improved support from Cryptic/PWe focused on official and well written tutorials & "How-to" to help perspective authors in producing new quality Foundry missions!

Just My 2 Cents!
  • coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Latest patch doesn't appear to have fixed the issues with NPCs despawning leaving missions impossible to complete - I picked one at random, and I'm not going inclined to test out any more missions to see if it is an isolated problem on the one I tried.

It's not isolated, I tried a few myself once I thought it was fixed and both had the same problems - enemies not spawning and NPC's I need to talk to disappearing.

I tried leaving the mission and going back into it, logging out then in again...nothing works.

I'm quite annoyed with this truth be told. Foundry missions is the only end game content I have. I am not interested in pretty new pixels for my character or ship, I am not interested in grinding away at the same missions repeatedly. FA's are certainly boring now, by the time I reach tier 5 I will be sick of STFs and the New Romulus content (if you call spraying bugs and chasing bunnies content).

At this point I'd support bringing the clickies back, because at least the foundry still worked when they were available!