test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Skyrocketing Costs and Gear Nerfing Threaten to Force Me Out

Comments

• carcharodon1975carcharodon1975 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    gthaatar wrote: »
    Apparently, this game is nothing but a contest and everyone must have the end-game stuff NOW or else they may as well not play.

Seriously, this is just silly.

No,what Cryptic has done to artificially extend 'gameplay' is silly.They act like a shady cars salesman that offers you a deal on your old car if you buy a new one.....
    They take your car,slap on a different color paint,tweak the engine so it burns more gas,put a tree-shaped air freshner on the rearview mirror,and sell your car back to you at full price,telling you it's a brand new car.

BTW....did I mention they also own the only gas station in the area for the next 200 miles?They hiked up the price for gas too.You didn't see that one coming did ya.
    The PWE/Cryptic sweatshop...not where the game is made,but where the game is played!

Take back your home,end the grind!

Volunteer moderators policing the forums is like a mall cop trying to solve a murder.
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I also think a five choice poll, would probably show that the bulk are probably "sometimes PvPers" who would do it less than once a month, with any amount of attention.

Not with the attention you're thinking. If there was persistent territory control, objective-based PvP maps, Fleet vs. Fleet warfare, and consistent high end rewards for doing so, we would get a lot more people PvPing.
  • aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    gthaatar wrote: »
    Apparently, this game is nothing but a contest and everyone must have the end-game stuff NOW or else they may as well not play.

Seriously, this is just silly.

The irony there is that said gear is only good for two things :

- To look pretty .

- To do slightly better in STF's
    (yes , the same STF's that apparently "turn ppl off by being too hard")

So yeah , absolutely you MUST have that gear that only helps you in missions that you absolutely hate to do .
    I hope you enjoy the "looking pretty" bit .
    In a few months there will be so many players looking "pretty" in the exact same way ... that it's sure to be ... horrifically amusing . :rolleyes:

Storm Troopers On-Line said what ? :P
  • tetonicatetonica Member Posts: 142 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Not with the attention you're thinking. If there was persistent territory control, objective-based PvP maps, Fleet vs. Fleet warfare, and consistent high end rewards for doing so, we would get a lot more people PvPing.

Seconding this. If there was a reason to pvp, I would actually get into it. The pvp as it currently is, is pointless.
    Lynis, Orion Engineer, main
    Rrezeth, Gorn Tactical, primary alt
    Nari, Orion Science, secondary alt
  • thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,985 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Here's the thing about PvP.

Without an accurate matching system and realistic IP environments it will never fly.

Right now you can be a Mage and summon black holes to do your bidding while mounting cannons.

Don't even get me started on the invulnerable battle cloak, as fragile as that thing was in the shows it should be offline in the first 10% of damage instead of a free get out of trouble card.

Typical PvP encounter:

5 BoPs spawn camp you out of the gate, they throw tractor beams subnuke and scramble sensors along with gravity well and tyken's rift while pounding you with cannons and if you manage to damage anyone they flee engaging their battle cloaks to hide and heal for their next cowardly attack.

Best Rule of Thumb: Powers should only do things to your own ship.

Sci ships should only be allowed to mount beams, sci powers that effect other's ships should take up weapon slots.

If you do like to PvP, mount an aft torpedo launcher. I always find BoPs in my aft arc.

Clean this mess up and you might get PvP, As is only people who don't know better que and of course those that prey on them.
  • lordcorrinolordcorrino Member Posts: 163 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Here's the thing about PvP.

Without an accurate matching system and realistic IP environments it will never fly.

Right now you can be a Mage and summon black holes to do your bidding while mounting cannons.

Don't even get me started on the invulnerable battle cloak, as fragile as that thing was in the shows it should be offline in the first 10% of damage instead of a free get out of trouble card.

Typical PvP encounter:

5 BoPs spawn camp you out of the gate, they throw tractor beams subnuke and scramble sensors along with gravity well and tyken's rift while pounding you with cannons and if you manage to damage anyone they flee engaging their battle cloaks to hide and heal for their next cowardly attack.

Best Rule of Thumb: Powers should only do things to your own ship.

Sci ships should only be allowed to mount beams, sci powers that effect other's ships should take up weapon slots.

If you do like to PvP, mount an aft torpedo launcher. I always find BoPs in my aft arc.

Clean this mess up and you might get PvP, As is only people who don't know better que and of course those that prey on them.

I don't mean to be rude, but you don't seem particularly experienced in PVP. APO/PH + Science Team negates that ambush, and BOP's are very squishy. Cloaking while under fire is a very, very risky proposition. Also, 5 BOP is rare to run into in a pug. PVP has its issues but the invulnerable BOP isn't one of them.
  • thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,985 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I'll admit it has been awhile.

This was a snapsjot of what it was like when I used to PvP.

Back when that was one of the few things to do.

I'm sure they have "improved" upon that since then.
  • dkevadkeva Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I'm generally the guy that always looks on the positive side of things, but have to say the changes to Dil are going to have a large, negative impact on my gameplay.

I am not one the guys that reaches my 8K daily limit. I'm also not one of the guys that can invest a lot of time into the game. I AM one who enjoys the (competent :D) runs I do, while only have 1 to 2 hours a day to play.

What you have basically done, is taken something that was at least randomly achievable for me in the current STF's (chance of Borg Tech dropping) and made it neigh impossible for me to achieve. Even my VA whom I mostly play - having 5 VA's in total - is just over half way to 100 000 dil.

I like the concept behind the new system Cryptic wants to put in place, I also like the set criteria change in order to get what I want, but plead that you take the guys like me into account.
  • tjexcimer500tjexcimer500 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Same here - and it will horribly affect small fleets as well. My fleet of four active players have struggled to complete the tier I starbase. Although, we're diligently working towards Tier II, if costs for dilithium skyrockets and rewards plummet it doesn't look like we'll be approaching a completed starbase in our lifetime. :mad:
    There are Four Lights... say no to ARC
    Fleet: 1st Order of Role-Players' Guild - gaming together since 2004
  • weylandjuarezweylandjuarez Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    dkeva wrote: »
    I'm generally the guy that always looks on the positive side of things, but have to say the changes to Dil are going to have a large, negative impact on my gameplay.

I am not one the guys that reaches my 8K daily limit. I'm also not one of the guys that can invest a lot of time into the game. I AM one who enjoys the (competent :D) runs I do, while only have 1 to 2 hours a day to play.

What you have basically done, is taken something that was at least randomly achievable for me in the current STF's (chance of Borg Tech dropping) and made it neigh impossible for me to achieve. Even my VA whom I mostly play - having 5 VA's in total - is just over half way to 100 000 dil.

I like the concept behind the new system Cryptic wants to put in place, I also like the set criteria change in order to get what I want, but plead that you take the guys like me into account.

I think this sums up my thoughts pretty well too - Cryptic say it's for the 'casual' gamers but what they really mean is it's for casual gamers that are prepared to pay real money for gear.

Even if you logged in every day, the rep system would likely take a couple of months to clear - if you're just playing weekends and the odd evening it's going to take much, much longer - and things like the insane Doff requirements for some of these projects are going to create additional bottlenecks - I think it'll prove needlessly frustrating to a wide cross-section of the player base - not just for the STF vets that have to start from scratch again.
    Please join our peaceful protest to help make STO a better game
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Proudly not contributing to PWE's bottom-line since October 2012
  • gthaatargthaatar Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I think you have bigger issues if you're getting stressed over a game.
  • arcademasterarcademaster Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    And "exploring" randomly generated maps with generic random aliens for months would have been so much more Trek and so much better because?...

People here wouldn't accept anything short of a fully functional holodeck as a true Trek experience, just do yourselves a favor boys and stop playing. This is a video game and it will be about flying Trek ships and pew pewing aliens from the Trek universe. Expecting anything else is delusional. For what it is and for what it costs (nothing) the game is pretty good and it'll get better.
  • nikkyvixnikkyvix Member Posts: 241 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    treaen wrote: »
    I think the moral of the story that's happening right now is that everybody likes to complain. There is a general consensus that exists on the Forum between the players who choose to post here about the things that we think could be improved about the game. And there is a very loud monologue happening to explicate it.

*gargantuan text barrier*

Kudos on your points and constructive criticism.
    Please make this into a standalone thread with proper, bite-sized paragraphing. Maybe--ideally--multiple separate posts on the matter. As it is, and has probably already been stated, walls of text like this, while chock-full of lots of detail and information for the geeks that like their detail, will simply turn off the majority of readers who are only here to scan entries. It's just the nature of how things are.

You have a great deal to cover. I know full well how brevity can be hard to achieve when it feels like every detail is precious. But please: make a standalone thread separate from this thread and triage the post of unnecessary minutiae so that it won't scare off folks, and your points will be more likely to be seen and not glossed over. :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Artist Formerly Known As Nikotaka ][ Join Date: Jan 2010
    "Can anyone remember when we used to be explorers...?"
  • stark2kstark2k Member Posts: 1,467 Arc User
    edited November 2012

[*]People who have already completed Mk XII sets will NOT receive any progress in the new Borg STF reputation system, ever. Even though we are playing through the exact same STFs as before.

This definitely bugs me to hell, why? I mean we old timers slaved through those STFs before the introduction of the new system.

is it simply to daunting of a task for Cryptic to look up a players time ingame in regards to STFs.

You would think if you obtained both the Mk XII Space and Ground sets, that you'll be credited instantly in the new rep system. I'm just speechless, really.
    StarTrekIronMan.jpg
  • warpetwarpet Member Posts: 506 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    ;O u can increase reputation in new stf reputation system so u can progres ,and i dont see realy such a huge grind in it u get 80marks for elite stf and u need 7-8 per reputation q and u need mats which u buy from npc so u need just to log in every 2 day put mats and start quests and u get almost 3 k reputation for it so whit 1 elite u can easy full 10 of thet quests so u need do 1 elite stf every 4-5 day and i dont see huge grind in thet.sry for bad eng
  • henrik68henrik68 Member Posts: 173 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Ah well...bye! :rolleyes:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • duaths1duaths1 Member Posts: 1,232 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    diogene0 wrote: »
    And you'll find out that the majority who enjoy both will play more likely pve.

Anyway what pvp needs will make people cry out loud: pre made ships with pre made boff layouts and skills you can't change and pre made gear on 3 ships and nothing more. That's the only way to build an interesting pvp in this game but as soon as this is done old pvpers will start whinning because they miss their old build or cryptic didn't make theyr ship op enough, etc. :P

I really think they should do that and ignore any kind of feedback after release, otherwise they'll have to work constanly on feedback because your pre made ship tac boff didn't brush his teeth this morning and isn't good enough for you or whatever stupid idea players will come up with to nerf their opponent's builds (which is the real purpose of the current pvp forums). :D

it is a nice idea but utopic like communism..
    why?
    - in every PVP game - also in BLC, LOL, ... you get to customise your toon and mostly there also is some kind of progression through gear, talismans, etc..

- why would i bother to grind for better gear if i could not use it in PVP? Cause the whole PVE is doable in green MK XI.