test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Official Into the Hive Feedback Thread

Comments

• tmichctmichc Member Posts: 164 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    So I played 'Into The Hive' for the first time today with my tac captain. As with all STFs, I'd watched the vids, so had a rough understanding of what to do inside. The rest of the team (we were all PuG via the main PvE queue - no premaking in any channel) were brand new to the map, with no clues as to what to do. We did it on Normal, with everyone sporting at least Mk XI gear (I saw a couple of Mk XII Omega suits).

Immediately one guy left... So, four of us to do it start to finish... And we did. Took 3 wipes in the Queen's room, but we managed it as a 4-person team.

So, onto the feedback:

- I like it, but I think PuGs could have issues, particularly those who are brand new to STFs. The 4second remod could be a pain, particularly during the 'Elite Tactical Gorn' phase. Like I say, we did it with full 3-piece kits, so no biggie for us (usual 10-sec remod CD), but manual remodding whilst running around trying to avoid falling off, avoiding the turret AoE thingys, etc. could get dull.

- The Final Room was nicely laid out, though I watched a green electrocution square continue to be square of death for just over a minute, and this was as I was waiting to run over and activate the transport for one of my teammates in the Holding Cell. Borg can be shot off the edge, much like IG, which was also nice. (I have yet to try it with my sci captain to see if the Physicist kit's Sonic Pulse will do it.)

- The corridor leading up to the Queen's room was atmospheric, but dull. No Borg patrols? Really? At least try and make it somewhat difficult to get there. Hopefully this is just because we are in testing and the map will be expanded greatly before it goes live with more random patrols, and corridors/mini-bosses/whatever. Overall, it was far too short compared to the others.

- Very little coordination required. In the other 3 Ground STFs there are at least a couple of parts where some team coordination/use of team chat is required (the transformers in Cure, Power Nodes in KA, and Becky's Room in Infected). This one seemed to have very little of that and is much poorer as a result. Fact is, you could play this one with the chat window shut and not miss anything (apart from obviously people telling you which cell they'd respawned into).

- Middle room, where the AoE turrets are introduced, could be much better. One guy hits the upload button, everyone else just runs around trying not to get caught up in each other's AoE spam. One spawn of Borg, easy to kill= rather boring.

- First room, disconnect the drones, is nice. Again, very empty, apart from the Borg that activate with each node. Nice bit of blurb explaining the floor electrifying and why it doesn't affect the Borg. Fairly easy to do, once you know what you're doing. Our team split in two and got it done quickly. Wandering patrols or a couple of random spawn-ins would be nice to up the difficulty.

- Storywise, it was not as nice as any of the others. In the long corridor to the Queen's Room I was hoping for more BOff/NPC chat boxes, or something, to emphasise how treacherous this undertaking was. Maybe some sort of random explosions/room shakes, to show that the Queen's diamond is under attack. As others have pointed out, 'Assimilation' had more story to it, and the cube in Assimilation felt more like I would expect from a Borg Vessel. Plunder Voyager if you have to for ideas for the Queen's ship/unicomplex.

So, my overall rating, if we're scoring here, would be 3 out of 5. Some nice ideas and mechanics, but must try a bit harder to make it longer/team-based. Include something in the middle node room to make it seem like more of a challenge/logical midpoint where teamplay comes into its own (like the captain in Infected, or the Power Nodes in KA).

But, that's just my initial impressions.

Tim

Edit: Forgot to mention that the AoE turret thingys are a griefer's dream. If they're so inclined, they could just run towards you, and use the knockback to either disrupt your sniper shot, or knock you into an electrified panel, or off the edge of the Queen's platform (should you find yourself close the edge for some reason).
  • diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Played it in elite today and even if we didn't complete it, it wasn't really harder than normal. We failed because of 3 idling and not up to par pugs not paying attention to the ground.

Two bugs: in the virus room, we died once and there was no grenade thrown at us during our second try. One of us remained unconscious into the room, we were able to res and enter it, and it was damn easy without the grenades.

And I've been assimilated with my nanites from the medic kit activated, even if it's supposed to make it impossible.

Also, we get injuries when the whole team dies in the last room when we get kicked from the penalty box. It's the second injury we get since we already died once. That's a double punishment. It might work as intended but that's not 'fair'.
    Lenny Barre, lvl 60 DC. 18k.
    God, lvl 60 CW. 17k.
  • sean2448sean2448 Member Posts: 815 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    same with some of new colony why is this
    new reward to go on
    hmm
  • weylandjuarezweylandjuarez Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Waaay too short.

Just had my first attempt on it with a group that mostly didn't know what we doing - blasted through the first room with a few deaths (inexperience) but it quickly became obvious that two two-man teams plus a lone gun (SciTank?) could nuke this in minutes.

Second section is a joke - run around and avoid the beams whilst capping Borg - it's not even an interlude.

We got stuck in the Queen's chamber when two players bailed leaving the three of us stuck in a cell that never opened - the boss battle looks fun but again - with an experienced team of MACO/Omega/KHG this whole STF is gonna take less than 10 minutes to finish (most likely for a 30 minute CD).

Deeply disappointed with this one - it's not even close to Infected Ground in terms of ideas, gameplay, visual style or challenge.
    Please join our peaceful protest to help make STO a better game
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Proudly not contributing to PWE's bottom-line since October 2012
  • suavekssuaveks Member Posts: 1,736 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Just did ITH on Elite with our usual experienced STF group and I've only got this to say:

EASIEST

STF

E-VAH

And shortest on top of that...

All optionals done, very little deaths. All the damage done by enemies, including the queen and the turrets, is just silly, and we've all basically agreed that this whole fight is nothing compared to Rebecca or Armek.

And yet people will still cry it's way too difficult, because they've died while blindly rushing forward...

Oh, btw. not sure if bug, but my blue Horta engaged the Queen solo at the very end and managed to push her down the platform, which caused her to die instantly. Kind of funny.
    PyKDqad.jpg
  • themariethemarie Member Posts: 1,055 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    suaveks wrote: »
    J

Oh, btw. not sure if bug, but my blue Horta engaged the Queen solo at the very end and managed to push her down the platform, which caused her to die instantly. Kind of funny.

Cry HAVOC! and unleash the Horta(s) of War? :D
  • latinumbarlatinumbar Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    We all died during the cutscene at the end after killing the queen. This was on normal.
    edited October 2012
    suaveks wrote: »

And shortest on top of that...

That's because it is unfinished. There is obviously a huge chunk missing that Cryptic never got working or bothered to get done. So they basically released hardly more than the Boss Room and called it "getting you right into the action" .
    11750640_1051211588222593_450219911807924697_n.jpg
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    diogene0 wrote: »
    Played it in elite today and even if we didn't complete it, it wasn't really harder than normal. We failed because of 3 idling and not up to par pugs not paying attention to the ground.

Two bugs: in the virus room, we died once and there was no grenade thrown at us during our second try. One of us remained unconscious into the room, we were able to res and enter it, and it was damn easy without the grenades.

And I've been assimilated with my nanites from the medic kit activated, even if it's supposed to make it impossible.

Also, we get injuries when the whole team dies in the last room when we get kicked from the penalty box. It's the second injury we get since we already died once. That's a double punishment. It might work as intended but that's not 'fair'.

My observation is that Elite and Normal seemed the same.

Didn't take any injuries on Elite.

My preference would be to allow people to port out of the cells on their own on Normal.

Also, ugh, timed optionals. BAD CRYPTIC. BAD. Optionals should take MORE time, not less.
  • sfhqsfhq Member Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Too short, period. At bare minimum, at least put in a couple more hallways and rooms!

I did like the electrical floor.. helps keep everyone from standing as still as possible and just shoot.

Even if nothing else gets done, at a bare minimum please at least put a couple more rooms in with decent spawns!
    ---
    "We are the Borg. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Resistance is futile."
    Sincerely,
    The Cube Assimilating Your Ship Right Now
  • mikiiymikiiy Member Posts: 216 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I loved it. The electrical stuff seemed fun, reminded me about some raids in other games.. overall it felt a bit easy and the map a bit small maybe i was kinda hoping for a bit more i guess but i liked it.

We once had some bug happen tho.. clicked the console outside to release someone and he stayed inside and wouldn't get beamed out and that console inside wasn't working either.
  • brish01brish01 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    From my breif time testing it out, it did remind me of some of the older raids Ive done in other mmos.

Now I was noticing some spikes, ala getting hit for 1500, things like that, console not wroking, and way on the short side to be sure.

Overall, I do like how the thing is, but form a coradation point of view its on the lighter end of the curve compared to cure/infected.
    18.jpg
  • tobar26thtobar26th Member Posts: 799 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Honestly, far too short and easy for the time it's taken.

The boss battle seems fun, but the queen should not be that easy to reach, I was hoping for an epic conclusion to the arc.

I've noticed that the ADAPTED text appears upside down and that there's a TAUNT TEXT TWO HERE type line from the queen.

A bit of a let down I'm sorry to say :(
    edited October 2012
    sfhq wrote: »
    Too short, period. At bare minimum, at least put in a couple more hallways and rooms!

I did like the electrical floor.. helps keep everyone from standing as still as possible and just shoot.

Even if nothing else gets done, at a bare minimum please at least put a couple more rooms in with decent spawns!

I'd prefer it if they kept STFs this length and had more of them.

The others still seem wasteful to me.

This one teaches you what you need to know and turns you loose.
    edited October 2012

I for one would hate that - at least the existing STFs feel like you're part of a story - there is no story to Into The Hive - beam abord a cube, fight some borg, fight the Queen.

No sub-bosses, no reveals, no mystery - nothing of any substance. Not even anything that really requires teamwork - I dare say you could finish it with your Boffs (providing you're prepared to res them every two minutes...)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • brish01brish01 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012

The problem is well I run into two types ofp layers, those that have lots of time on there hands, and does that dont.

Guess who were my core raqiders, my progression team.

IT does set you lose, but I can see the avage run-of-the-mill pug team fialing for a while =\
    18.jpg
  • suavekssuaveks Member Posts: 1,736 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I dare say you could finish it with your Boffs (providing you're prepared to res them every two minutes...)
    More like every two seconds. That is, assuming they didn't jump into the abyss for no apparent reason, like other NPCs tend to do.

Also, I honestly believe this mission in its current form can be completed solo, even without boffs.

But you know what the saddest part is? Cryptic doesn't care anymore and there won't be any space portion, nor ground extension. Most they can do is add a few stray enemy groups here and there and that's it.
    PyKDqad.jpg
  • tmichctmichc Member Posts: 164 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Hi all,

Well, despite myself I logged back onto Tribble to continue testing Into The Hive, and discovered something new and amusing/annoying.

It was the usual routine of only 4 people making it into the match to begin with (is this just my bad luck?) and things progressing. All went relatively well until we got to the Queen's Room.

Apart from the whole 'Queen falls off the back edge' bug that has been detailed elsewhere, we also encountered two bugs that were frustrating.

The first one, also mentioned elsewhere, was the whole team being killed immediately after rezzing in the Holding Cell. This was on Normal, but can anyone confirm/deny if this injures you on Elite?

The second one was hilarious, but also rather annoying. Basic gist; team wiped (damn you hypo cooldown - 2 seconds less and I would have been fine!), and we all ended up in the Holding Cell. Not one each, but all four of us in the same one... The room had reset, and despite laying turrets, calling in stuff, we could not aggro the Borg to come over and kill us to hopefully get one of us out of the Holding Cell. We all had to quit shortly thereafter. I appreciate that the mission is designed for 5 players, but could you script in something to say that when team is wiped, the first player on the team sheet (or whoever) is resurrected outside the Queen's Room so they can come and get the rest of us out? I say this because I'm sure I'm not alone in having folk rage-quit during an STF, which leaves the rest of the team a bit stuck if the Holding Cells are designed to hold 4 people, and add people until the number is filled (even though you only have 4 or less on your team).

Tim

Edit: To add my two-penneth to the length debate... There is another fairly popular Sci-Fi MMO out there that has wonderfully epic 10-man missions and the 5-man ones aren't to be sneezed at either. They're fairly lengthy, but really fun! Would folk prefer that sort of thing to the current STF model? I know I would, particularly as they (the other game's missions) do require a mixture of classes/roles to be able to beat.
    edited October 2012
    I for one would hate that - at least the existing STFs feel like you're part of a story - there is no story to Into The Hive - beam abord a cube, fight some borg, fight the Queen.

No sub-bosses, no reveals, no mystery - nothing of any substance. Not even anything that really requires teamwork - I dare say you could finish it with your Boffs (providing you're prepared to res them every two minutes...)

I think they should have preserved the story of the classic STFs but made them single player. You can't do story conveyed by text in a 5 player, queued repeatable event.

IMHO, I would have taken the classic STFs and made them mega-missions where you're sent to go through, locate the bosses, and place pattern enhancers or signal beacons and maybe do some sabotage. Playable with a team or without. No boss fights. Just observe Manus in her stasis pod or Armek and place a beacon.

Then you queue up to go back and do the boss fights at the location where you placed the beacon.

BAM. Full story preserved. If you want to play the intro Mega-missions in a group, feel free. If you want to play the boss fights, you do need to do the Mega-mission ONCE first to get the story.

My way would have preserved the story, created an additional 7-8 missions that Klingons could play, and put the focus of teaming on boss fights.
  • gpgtxgpgtx Member Posts: 1,579 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    and that would have been awesome
    victoriasig_zps23c45368.jpg
  • verda9938verda9938 Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I just finished Into The Hive Elite and there were a few new things that cropped up. The first one is in the second room, if you respawn you can shoot the borg drones through the shields. The other was when you were fighting the Queen. If you respawn the drones walk to the entrance and can shoot through the shields but you can't. I also noticed that for both normal and elite if you activate the transporters and every one leaves and then respawns in the same spot it will not let you transport out, until the 2 minutes are over and it shuts down. But otherwise wonder work.
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Tribble test weekend is not on yet, and since expirience tells us that bug testing dosen't fix bugs anyways, people aren't motivated to even log on tribble... Thats why.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • vkfphoenixlordvkfphoenixlord Member Posts: 1,991 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I ran into the same problem. No one on tribble (at least when I was there). I was able to get a team together but only after a long delay.
    edited October 2012
    My way would have preserved the story, created an additional 7-8 missions that Klingons could play, and put the focus of teaming on boss fights.
    gpgtx wrote: »
    and that would have been awesome

No. Just no.

What's awesome:

Finding the latest crazy way the community's found to shave a few seconds off the clock on a optional run (mortars on IGE + KAGE = win)

Recovering from bad aggro when the team gets overwhelmed and getting everyone back on their feet without anyone having to respawn.

Looking at the countdown and knowing you're gonna have to run through the next group of Borg and hope for the best to make the optional ('cause you were slow - not because the game is unfair).

Running CGE with a team of fully specced MACO/Omega/KHG Mk XII Tacs and stomping the Borg but good.

The SciTank who valiantly takes out Armek on her own after all her comrades have fallen.

That's awesome.

Replacing all that with a solo run with your Boffs? Not awesome.

Just playing Rebecca's chamber? Not awesome.

Seriously dude, do you even play the STFs 'cause I'm beginning to have my doubts.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • captainmerzancaptainmerzan Member Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    well we ran the hive elite last night and had a few bug first in second part the borg could shoot through the thingy in middel where u upload virus, in fighting in the queens room , the adapted signs over there heads was upside down, when u died and got injury i click injury to heal them and it wouldnt show them so i could heal them, also the queen bugeed we pushed her off the edge she died hung about half way down she was showing dead but wouldnt advance the game so we all had to die so she reset.
  • ufpterrellufpterrell Member Posts: 736 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I like ITH, good mission with some interesting new mechanics. The fight against the Queen was good fun, lots more moving around. The Gorn dude was interesting, minigun on his back and all that....

Just one little problem.........

It's too easy! We managed to get both optionals on Elite in a PUG on our first attempt. I mean seriously! Took me ages to get IGE optional, as it needs a near perfect run to get all within the time alloted. It's also too short, just three rooms? Seriously? Even if you just have those three sections as the main set pieces and add some more corridors in there with Borg. It's way way way too short as it stands.

By the way... how did we get here? Just transport half way across the quadrant? Come on, add a space section... using shuttles :D. If Admiral Janeway can do it, we sure as hell can :D.

I know that's more than one problem... but meh. Just really disappointed as we've waited TWO YEARS for this... it's like they just gave up on development for it and thought "hey let's just throw it out there and forget about it".
    Terrell.png

Looking for a dedicated Star Trek community? Visit www.ufplanets.com for details.
  • rjoy79rjoy79 Member Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Played this a again, this time had a good strong team but still we got our butts handed to us, we wasn't even on elite.
  • dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    ...The SciTank who valiantly takes out Armek on her own after all her comrades have fallen...

Heh, did that in this STF (true now, it was on normal, but...). Everybody just dropped dead during the third stage of the fight, and I was too busy to let them out. :D

And next time I tried, I -almost- had to do it again. Almost.

But frankly, this is too easy. Just too easy. Doesn't feel like an STF, more like a more challenging story mission.

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • sfhqsfhq Member Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Re-ran the mission last night with a PUG and came out with a few errors

Bugs:

Disconnection not accounted for - Our team did the first room, and began to move into the second room, as we did so, the 5th DCed, and then the game began the virus upload with the 4 of us already in the room noticing the 5th DCed. The 5th player could NOT get back to us, he ended up reloading at the begining and there was a forcefield in the way at the first room. I like the attempt to keep people more grouped by forcefield control, but you must account for disconnections. Otherwise private or PUG is going to be a nightmare if there are connection issues for even a few seconds forcing a relog of someone.

No orbitals on second try of virus room - The four of us left ended up accidently all dying in this room, we respawned and began again. This time no orbitals to watch out for, just borg.

Oh and did I mention already.. Too Short and too easy? This is supposed to be a STF, and kinda a grand STF too with the queen and all... it should be harder not easier leading up to the queen. Its a "good start" but that's it.
    ---
    "We are the Borg. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Resistance is futile."
    Sincerely,
    The Cube Assimilating Your Ship Right Now
  • zer0niusrexzer0niusrex Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Moving this out of the REDSHIRT forums and into TRIBBLE forums. :)