Install Arc
Options

Borg Vs Daleks

124»

Comments

• Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited October 2012
    One shot from a Dalek finished them off, and Cybermen weaponry couldn't get through their forcefields

Are you sure, I don't think that the Genasis Ark Daleks had sheilds, just the Cult.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    red01999red01999 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I have little Dr. Who knowledge, but I suspect that the intelligence factor is going to be the decider here.

Simply put, the intellect of the Borg is described by two maxims:

1. Nobody is as smart as all of us.
    2. Nobody is as stupid as all of us.

The groupthink would be their undoing, as being attacked by too many geniuses at once might well end up breaking them (or at least stalemating them), particularly since it's entirely possible that as the Borg adapt to new things they may be rendering themselves highly vulnerable to already-adapted attacks. I could see the Daleks leading the Borg around on a merry goose chase along these lines.

Plus frankly the Borg are far too single-minded. Their strategy for invading Earth:

Collective: We want to assimilate humanity. Let us assimilate one of their greatest to facilitate that and learn of humanity.
    Picard: Humanity will resist assimilation to the last man or die trying.
    Collective: Obviously despite current evidence strongly to the contrary the correct approach is to show humanity a forcibly assimilated member of their species preaching about their powerlessness to avoid this fate. Surely this cannot possibly backfire, reinforcing humanity's revulsion at assimilation, encouraging them to create powerful technologies to destroy us, and turn our forced informant into our worst nightmare. Right?

Yeaaaaaaaaaaah, good luck with that...
  • Options
    wildthyme467989wildthyme467989 Member Posts: 1,286 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    artan42 wrote: »
    Are you sure, I don't think that the Genasis Ark Daleks had sheilds, just the Cult.

All Daleks have shields, going back to Series one of the 2005 series
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    All Daleks have shields, going back to Series one of the 2005 series

Are you sure, some of the Daleks from Bad Wolf that got inside the TARDIS didn't, neither did some of Davroses in Stolen Earth (the ones taken out by Mirror!Torchwood 1).
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

• Options
    edited October 2012
    Are you sure, some of the Daleks from Bad Wolf that got inside the TARDIS didn't, neither did some of Davroses in Stolen Earth (the ones taken out by Mirror!Torchwood 1).

Go back to the first series, rewatch Dalek and The Parting of ways, clearly shows Dalek's with Shields that disintegrate bullets
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Go back to the first series, rewatch Dalek and The Parting of ways, clearly shows Dalek's with Shields that disintegrate bullets

I know most of them did, but the ones in the TARDIS can't have done.

#TASforSTO

• Options
    edited October 2012
    I know most of them did, but the ones in the TARDIS can't have done.

That is a difficult one to explain, methinks a continuity error
  • Options
    carl103carl103 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    The ones in parting of ways clearly diod yet they still get blown up. Dalek sheilds are like any sheild, hit them hard enough and they go down. Why do you think the entire power supply of Jack's gun, (which by the name is probably a really heavy duty personal side arm for use agains't the general species of the galaxy), the Daleks just take that much raw punch to reduce for scrap, indeed it survived the beam for a few fractions of a second.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    carl103 wrote: »
    The ones in parting of ways clearly diod yet they still get blown up. Dalek sheilds are like any sheild, hit them hard enough and they go down. Why do you think the entire power supply of Jack's gun, (which by the name is probably a really heavy duty personal side arm for use agains't the general species of the galaxy), the Daleks just take that much raw punch to reduce for scrap, indeed it survived the beam for a few fractions of a second.

I still believe that it will be a Dalek win. This is the species that came so very close to wiping out the whole of creation. The only other race who came that close were the Time Lords. The Borg could never come close to having that level of Technology, at least not in time to save them from Dalek Invasion
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Damn this discussion, I going to have to watch from Dalek to Asylum of the Daleks now:P.

#TASforSTO

• Options
    edited October 2012
    Damn this discussion, I going to have to watch from Dalek to Asylum of the Daleks now:P.

They're all good ones, for the most part. Although for a good background you'll have to watch ALL Dalek episodes, even the ones from the 60's through the 80's
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    They're all good ones, for the most part. Although for a good background you'll have to watch ALL Dalek episodes, even the ones from the 60's through the 80's

I started watching from Evil of the.. however I really wish a lode of the Troughtan ones weren't lost.
    Though I'd rather skip the McCoy era ones, I can't really put up with him.

#TASforSTO

• Options
    edited October 2012
    I started watching from Evil of the.. however I really wish a lode of the Troughtan ones weren't lost.
    Though I'd rather skip the McCoy era ones, I can't really put up with him.

Rememberance of the Daleks was a good one, I think some of Mccoy's episodes were underrated. The Happiness Patrol was a good one (If you can mentally block out The Kandyman,) I'd also recommend Battlefield
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Rememberance of the Daleks was a good one, I think some of Mccoy's episodes were underrated. The Happiness Patrol was a good one (If you can mentally block out The Kandyman,) I'd also recommend Battlefield

I did see Battlefield some time ago (on the 'net, I now way old enough to have seen it live:D), but it was rater displaced by my memories of watching Silver Nemesis afterwords.

#TASforSTO

• Options
    edited October 2012
    but it was rater displaced by my memories of watching Silver Nemesis afterwords.

OH DEAR GOD, DON'T REMIND ME :D :eek:
  • Options
    carl103carl103 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I still believe that it will be a Dalek win. This is the species that came so very close to wiping out the whole of creation. The only other race who came that close were the Time Lords. The Borg could never come close to having that level of Technology, at least not in time to save them from Dalek Invasion

I was arguing against the guy saying that the daleks had no sheild in the TARDIS. That one got hit by bassiclly enough power from an energy pack to kill probably several hundred humans. It's the equivelent of taking a phaser on overload and aiming the blast into a thin beam.
  • Options
    syfyguy64syfyguy64 Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    They'll likely talk each other to death. "You are the enemy of the daleks! You will be exterminated!" "Extermination is irrelevant. You will surrender your ships to us."
  • Options
    rustychatrustychat Member Posts: 91 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Considering The Cybermen in Assimilation2 are handing the Borg their arses on a plate, it seems that the Daleks could with a fraction of their forces.

I honestly can't see the Cybermen beating the Borg on any account. The Borg adapt, the Cybermen do not. The Cybermen also do not innovate, or rarely do. Same with assimilating technology. While Borg assimilation might be'easier to reverse than Cyberman cyberization, assuming one has the technology, cyberization can simply be resisted by a person with a strong enough will, and can even then subvert the Cybermen present to their own cause, as has been shown. The Borg could assimilate a Cyberman relatively easy, a Cyberman would have a tough time cyberizing a Borg, least of all because they'd need to drone to sit there and basically let them do it. Then there's no telling what all the Borgtech left in the brain and brainstem would then do to the Cyberman body. My guess would be that it would simply subvert the cybertech, leaving a Borg-controlled Cyberman. I can't really see the Cybermen winning many victories at all.

But maybe Assimilation2 explains it. I haven't gotten a chance to read it, just seen little tibbits here and there such as the destroyed cube and the apparent Cyberman-Borg alliance.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    carl103 wrote: »
    I was arguing against the guy saying that the daleks had no sheild in the TARDIS.

But I hadn't seen that for some time, I remembered Jack using the normal gun on it.
    rustychat wrote: »
    I honestly can't see the Cybermen beating the Borg on any account. The Borg adapt, the Cybermen do not. The Cybermen also do not innovate, or rarely do. Same with assimilating technology. While Borg assimilation might be'easier to reverse than Cyberman cyberization, assuming one has the technology, cyberization can simply be resisted by a person with a strong enough will, and can even then subvert the Cybermen present to their own cause, as has been shown. The Borg could assimilate a Cyberman relatively easy, a Cyberman would have a tough time cyberizing a Borg, least of all because they'd need to drone to sit there and basically let them do it. Then there's no telling what all the Borgtech left in the brain and brainstem would then do to the Cyberman body. My guess would be that it would simply subvert the cybertech, leaving a Borg-controlled Cyberman. I can't really see the Cybermen winning many victories at all.

But maybe Assimilation2 explains it. I haven't gotten a chance to read it, just seen little tibbits here and there such as the destroyed cube and the apparent Cyberman-Borg alliance.

Look at the Cybermen's costume changes in each episode, it's like they are evolving, there are certainly improving and innovating, the Cybermen from The Pandorica Opens and Closing Time had transporters.

And the wouldn't need to 'cyberise' a Borg Drone, just get it programmed to serve the Cyber Controler rather than the Borg Queen.

#TASforSTO

• Options
    wolfspider55wolfspider55 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    The Borg would never assimilate mutants anyway, no matter how good their tech is, the Daleks would detract from the perfection the Borg seek. Let's not discount the fact that they would also assimilate Dalek behaviour, which is to consider all other forms of life as inferior and destroy them

Actually the assimilated daleks would have no emotions at all. Borg assimilate the body not stupid emotions.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Actually the assimilated daleks would have no emotions at all. Borg assimilate the body not stupid emotions.

Actually the Borg have many defenses that prevent hacking and other forms of control. Cybermen would be easily assimilated and since they become Borg would then be able to destroy or assimilate daleks. In the end Borg win. Borg are just the better more advanced and more populated beings.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Actually the Borg have many defenses that prevent hacking and other forms of control. Cybermen would be easily assimilated and since they become Borg would then be able to destroy or assimilate daleks. In the end Borg win. Borg are just the better more advanced and more populated beings.

All the Cybermen are are Brains in a Cybersuit, would the Borg see them as worthy of Assimilation in that case, or just ignore them or destroy them? Technologically they seem to be a rival to or below the level of Borg, the only thing going for the Cybermen is that they have similar goals. And regarding the hacking thing, it's not a good thing if an EMH can reprogram Nanoprobes, like he did in the ST:VOY episode Scorpion Pt 2.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    All the Cybermen are are Brains in a Cybersuit, would the Borg see them as worthy of Assimilation in that case, or just ignore them or destroy them? Technologically they seem to be a rival to or below the level of Borg, the only thing going for the Cybermen is that they have similar goals. And regarding the hacking thing, it's not a good thing if an EMH can reprogram Nanoprobes, like he did in the ST:VOY episode Scorpion Pt 2.

Yes but the doctor from voyager holds more medical knowledge than any organic species could possibly hope to posses. Not to mention since he's linked to voyager memory banks he can accesses anything in those banks that would help him reprogram the nano probes. Also remember the probes still assimilated all the doctor really did was help them adapt to the undine's compact DNA and added a self destruct mechanism.

As for the cybermen they are below the Borg in knowledge, strength, population, adaptability, ease of assimilation, and many other aspects. The cybermen don't even come close to being like a Borg.

As for Borg vs daleks the Borg outpower the daleks in man power, strength, ships and ship weapons plus defenses, as well as many more. But at least the daleks are worthy enough to be considered for assimilation unlike the cybermen.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Yes but the doctor from voyager holds more medical knowledge than any organic species could possibly hope to posses. Not to mention since he's linked to voyager memory banks he can accesses anything in those banks that would help him reprogram the nano probes. Also remember the probes still assimilated all the doctor really did was help them adapt to the undine's compact DNA and added a self destruct mechanism.

As for the cybermen they are below the Borg in knowledge, strength, population, adaptability, ease of assimilation, and many other aspects. The cybermen don't even come close to being like a Borg.

As for Borg vs daleks the Borg outpower the daleks in man power, strength, ships and ship weapons plus defenses, as well as many more. But at least the daleks are worthy enough to be considered for assimilation unlike the cybermen.

We don't know if the Borg outnumber the Daleks in ships, since we don't know how many ships the Borg have, it's never been disclosed on TV. Whereas from Doctor Who we know that the Daleks had 10 million ships with 2000 Daleks on each one at the final battle of the Last Great Time War.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Yes but the doctor from voyager holds more medical knowledge than any organic species could possibly hope to posses. Not to mention since he's linked to voyager memory banks he can accesses anything.

No he doesn't, he has the medical knowledge of the Federation and a few other species, and the Voyager databanks contain info on, well a few bits and pieces from each quadrants.

The Third Bountiful Human Empire spanned three galaxies, the Daleks must have spanned more.
    Plus it was a technological not medical feat reprogramming the Nanoprobes, I'm sure the Cybermen or Daleks would be ale to do the same thing.

#TASforSTO