Install Arc
Options

Borg Vs Daleks

Comments

• Options
    carl103carl103 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    A few points:

1. The daleks are surrounded by a feild that littrially vaporises anything that comes too close if they ant it to, getting tubes past that would be awful tricky.

2. Borg sheilds have been shown to be vulnrable to brute force atacks, it's not very efficent but given some of the things we've seen the daleks pull i figure they could do it.

artan42 wrote: »
    Yes but they where winning, plus I can count 3 Time Lords that escaped the Time War (The Doctor, The Master, the Corsair), and Millions of Daleks (Last Dalek, Emperor Dalek, Cult of Skaro, Davros and the Crucible, Pangram Daleks, Genesis ARC Daleks, Dalek Parliament, the Daleks on The Asylum).

I think it's safe to say from "The End of Time" that the doctor was aiming at his fellow Time Lords first and foremost, the Daleks where handy collatoral.
  • Options
    marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    But the fact that it's also a mechanical entity it could convert another machine easier than an organic body, so it may not need to be breathed in by the Borg.
    Do you think? Given nanoprobes can restore and resurrect a drone after a hundred years, it's clear that they're resilient and highly efficient. As mentioned before, the nano swarm operates much more slowly than nanoprobes, so any damage/infiltration would likely be repaired by the nanoprobes before the nano swarm could take effect due to the differences in operational speed.
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited October 2012
    Do you think? Given nanoprobes can restore and resurrect a drone after a hundred years, it's clear that they're resilient and highly efficient. As mentioned before, the nano swarm operates much more slowly than nanoprobes, so any damage/infiltration would likely be repaired by the nanoprobes before the nano swarm could take effect due to the differences in operational speed.

Yes but we've only seen it's effect on organic matter, it could work a lot quicker on mechanical matter.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    carl103 wrote: »
    A few points:

1. The daleks are surrounded by a feild that littrially vaporises anything that comes too close if they ant it to, getting tubes past that would be awful tricky.
    That's certainly a possibility... Assimilation tubules are described as being able to penetrate all known armor and energy fields. It's possible that Dalek fields may be impervious to them, but equally possible they may not be...
    2. Borg sheilds have been shown to be vulnrable to brute force atacks, it's not very efficent but given some of the things we've seen the daleks pull i figure they could do it.
    Absolutely, if anyone/thing could realistically stand up to the Borg, it would be the Daleks :)
  • Options
    robeasomrobeasom Member Posts: 1,911 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Me personally think the borg would win. Yes the Daleks have time travel but I can't imagine anything winning the borg if they couldn't use stairs (I believe the Daleks have got a way around that now)
    NO TO ARC
    Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
    Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
    Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    So an upturned pepper pot with a sink plunger and a ray gun running around on my mum's sofa castors and stuck together with mr Pritt can take on a galaxy of assimilated drones numbering in the trillions with assimilation technology and the knowledge of most of the races in the galaxy? yeah right.

Yeah because trillions of ultimate killing machines couldn't kill a bunch of guys covered in plastic sheets, silly leather bits, and far too much make up, with ships made of model aeroplane sprue.
    robeasom wrote: »
    Me personally think the borg would win. Yes the Daleks have time travel but I can't imagine anything winning the borg if they couldn't use stairs (I believe the Daleks have got a way around that now)

ELEVATE!
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

• Options
    viperiousspacedviperiousspaced Member Posts: 122 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Daleks have been able to get up stairs since the original series.

watch remembrance of the Daleks with Sylvester McCoy as the 7th doctor, if ya don't believe me. :D
  • Options
    wildthyme467989wildthyme467989 Member Posts: 1,286 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Daleks have been able to get up stairs since the original series.

watch remembrance of the Daleks with Sylvester McCoy as the 7th doctor, if ya don't believe me. :D

Even earlier than that, in the Jon Pertwee era story Planet of the Daleks they used antigrav platforms to climb a shaft
  • Options
    viperiousspacedviperiousspaced Member Posts: 122 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    At wildthyme467989, didn't know that one. i've only seen from tom baker(imho the best doctor) onwards. was born in 72.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    At wildthyme467989, didn't know that one. i've only seen from tom baker(imho the best doctor) onwards. was born in 72.

No probs, if you get the chance it's a good one to watch
  • Options
    psymantispsymantis Member Posts: 329 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    The Dalek nano probe episode was a bit...meh There were a lot of things that just sprung into existence for that episode; the nano-probes, a prison for Daleks. Along with the probes not working if you have fear as Daleks have no fear despite them being afraid of the Doctor earlier.:rolleyes:

Plus how can a prison exist when all of the Daleks were supposed to be destroyed when the the new iDaleks were created. The reason for not destroying them now was because they don't want to destroy hate but the iDaleks destroyed the Ironside. Then later in the episode they DID destroy the planet.:confused:

Finally if the Daleks have a airborne nano-virus why did they not use it to assimilate the universe.

I'd take anything that happened in this new series with a pinch of salt.;)
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    psymantis wrote: »
    Finally if the Daleks have a airborne nano-virus why did they not use it to assimilate the universe.

Because Daleks like their drones pure, hence the extermination of the Ironsides, Robomen etc only exist to assist the Daleks conquest of everything, turning everything into them would be pointless.

#TASforSTO

• Options
    psymantispsymantis Member Posts: 329 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Because Daleks like their drones pure, hence the extermination of the Ironsides, Robomen etc only exist to assist the Daleks conquest of everything, turning everything into them would be pointless.

But they could turn a planet into drones then tell them to create a Dalek manufacturing plant or even commit suicide. Maybe use some of that planets population to weaken the others. A nano bomb could sent to planets throughout the galaxy and the drones exterminated when the Dalek force gets around to them.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    psymantis wrote: »
    The Dalek nano probe episode was a bit...meh There were a lot of things that just sprung into existence for that episode; the nano-probes, a prison for Daleks. Along with the probes not working if you have fear as Daleks have no fear despite them being afraid of the Doctor earlier.:rolleyes:

Plus how can a prison exist when all of the Daleks were supposed to be destroyed when the the new iDaleks were created. The reason for not destroying them now was because they don't want to destroy hate but the iDaleks destroyed the Ironside. Then later in the episode they DID destroy the planet.:confused:

I'd take anything that happened in this new series with a pinch of salt.;)
    I stopped watching all together after Dinosaurs on a Spaceship. I just couldn't stand it any more :D
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    I stopped watching all together after Dinosaurs on a Spaceship. I just couldn't stand it any more :D

You missed 3 of the best episodes
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    You missed 3 of the best episodes
    Was Tennant back as the Doctor? ;)
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Was Tennant back as the Doctor? ;)

Maybe for the 50th next year, but you did miss The Pond's exit, and Steven Berkoff with a small role as an alien and Ben Browder with a small role as a Wild West Sheriff
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Maybe for the 50th next year, but you did miss The Pond's exit, and Steven Berkoff with a small role as an alien and Ben Browder with a small role as a Wild West Sheriff
    I think I'd only consider watching the show again if Tennant was to return full time as the Doctor. (would be sooooooo easy to do as well) I never thought I'd say it, but I actually miss RTD's writing :eek: I always thought Moffatt was the better writer, but seeing how he totally butchered River Song, I started to have my doubts, and after watching the first few episodes, I completely lost interest. I did see the trailer for the episode you've described, but having seen Cowboys and Aliens, I don't really need to see Doctor Who's version of it ;) Other than Tennant's return, I think the only thing which would get me watching again, is when the Doctor regenerates. My personal picks for the 12th Doctor are either David Bowie, Kriss Marshall or Emma Watson...
  • Options
    carl103carl103 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    TBH my biggest flaw with Moffatt is the way he's treated RTD's stuff, Now i don't know how RTD treated clasic who as i'm not very familiar with it, but as iof right now, you can bassiclly kiss every season finalle, plus severla major mid season episodes, plus bassiclly all of S4 goodbye, they officilly never happened.

Don't like another writers work? Fine, but treating it like that just isn't on.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    TBH my biggest flaw with Moffatt is the way he's treated RTD's stuff, Now i don't know how RTD treated clasic who as i'm not very familiar with it, but as iof right now, you can bassiclly kiss every season finalle, plus severla major mid season episodes, plus bassiclly all of S4 goodbye, they officilly never happened.

Don't like another writers work? Fine, but treating it like that just isn't on.
    RTD was horrifically self-indulgent, and sadly, is just getting moreso the more he writes (Torchwood:Miracle Day was little more than slash fan-fiction with a budget, rather than anything I'd want to consider as canon Torchwood...) However, I felt he treated Classic Who with respect, and put interesting and updated spins on things. During this time, Moffatt came up with some fantastic characters (River and Jack) and some great stories. But his ego to stamp his own mark on the series is like how Brannon Braga wound up, and he's wound up trashing not only his own work, but that of other writers as well, which as you quite rightly point out, just isn't the done thing. Especially not with such a long-established series. It's sad, as I always loved Doctor Who as a show, but refuse to watch it now :(
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    As much as I don't want to say it, Moffat was so much better wrighting the odd horror episode here and there, but a whole series...

#TASforSTO

• Options
    edited October 2012
    As much as I don't want to say it, Moffat was so much better wrighting the odd horror episode here and there, but a whole series...

He doesn't write the whole series, only 2 episodes of the 5 so far
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    He doesn't write the whole series, only 2 episodes of the 5 so far
    But as Executive Producer, if he doesn't like what a writer presents, they re-write it until he does like it. If he doesn't like the director's rushes, they have to re-shoot. This series is His Work, he's just doing it through puppets... His episodes like Empty Child and The Library were fantastic, but when a writer can't keep the back-story of their own character straight in their head and needlessly retcons that history, well, it's not good... :(
  • Options
    sollvaxsollvax Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I think I'd only consider watching the show again if Tennant was to return full time as the Doctor. (would be sooooooo easy to do as well) I never thought I'd say it, but I actually miss RTD's writing :eek: I always thought Moffatt was the better writer, but seeing how he totally butchered River Song, I started to have my doubts, and after watching the first few episodes, I completely lost interest. I did see the trailer for the episode you've described, but having seen Cowboys and Aliens, I don't really need to see Doctor Who's version of it ;) Other than Tennant's return, I think the only thing which would get me watching again, is when the Doctor regenerates. My personal picks for the 12th Doctor are either David Bowie, Kriss Marshall or Emma Watson...

its Genetically impossible for the Doctor to become Female

And David Bowie is already WAY more alien than the Doctor

What needs doing is the following

Reversion of Gallifrey to proper status
    Timelords BACK on mass
    TOTAL removal of the "Angels" boy are those crappy things over used
    Multi episode story lines
    Permanent DEATH of River song
    Utter and complete end of the tendency to have Every supporting character be a third rate comedian
    Live long and Prosper
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    sollvax wrote: »

Not true, a Time Lord can become anything he/she want's to, like the Corsair.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    No it's not... The Corsair was described on screen as having had both male and female incarnations, so for a Time Lord to change gender now has canon possibility ;)
    And David Bowie is already WAY more alien than the Doctor
    Exactly, he'd be perfect for the role... He did The Man Who Fell to Earth at the height of his career, so can't see playing the Doctor doing his rep any harm :cool:
    What needs doing is the following

Reversion of Gallifrey to proper status
    Timelords BACK on mass
    TOTAL removal of the "Angels" boy are those crappy things over used
    Multi episode story lines
    Permanent DEATH of River song
    Utter and complete end of the tendency to have Every supporting character be a third rate comedian
    +1 on all those points :D I loved the Weeping Angels in their initial appearance, but since then, yes, way too over used. To be fair, River did permanently die on her first appearance... Having her personal timeline running in reverse of the Doctor's was quite interesting at first, but as with the Angels, she has been way over used and ludicrously retconned. If they'd left it at her being arrested after the crash of the Byzantium, that would've been perfect...
  • Options
    fallenhawkfallenhawk Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    What are the other people in galaxy doing sitting on their asses?
    [SIGPIC]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y136/Badbones/Mysig.png[/SIGPIC]
    I can still move.
    I can still fight.
    I will never give up!