test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

New lockbox and it's impact on PvP, take two

Comments

• realuniqueonerealuniqueone Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    meh...

I've been loosing to camera bugs, the game's inablility to cope with this network it runs over (powers not responding 65% of the time), bugships, other misc lockbox ships, and other iwin buttons for so long now I really don't care any more. How much worse can it really get?

Relax. Take a deep breath... and then die with some honor (against absurdity) like the rest of us already do!

That is all.
    >>> UniqueOne - Providing you with easy PVP kills since Feb 2012 <<<
  • degalusmedivandegalusmedivan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    The last weeks i only look in the forums to see if they bring something worth to pay .... i mean to play in the game. But hey I waiting for a cstore ship but we get lockbox charunlock ultraships again. And again it destroy the only worth to play point in the game for me - pvp.
    Ultimate P2W is nearly complete and all content we get only drive me more away from the game.
    Starbases was funny before they hit the holodeck, after it .... they eat up the currency u need to get Zen ... yea ... but hey they dont realy add something worth in the "zen"store so i dont need the zens lol.
    *checking Zen* Wohoo 1000 Zen from Lifetime and nothing to buy ....
    But back to topic: This new AOE slow effect will kill Bops even more... and if this effect kicks u out of cloak in your brel ... yea u know what happens.

I go back to a Closed Beta where i move some tons and produce some scrap metal. They understand how to make pvp and pay attention to the players.
    But i continue my stalking of STO maybe they add something in the future what i want to buy *good joke*

sry for this post but everybody have a limit of patience
  • kinetic78kinetic78 Member Posts: 90 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    meh...

I've been loosing to camera bugs, the game's inablility to cope with this network it runs over (powers not responding 65% of the time), bugships, other misc lockbox ships, and other iwin buttons for so long now I really don't care any more. How much worse can it really get?

Relax. Take a deep breath... and then die with some honor (against absurdity) like the rest of us already do!

That is all.

As long as your ams button works you will be fine :p
  • bitemepwebitemepwe Member Posts: 6,760 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Canon-wise, there is absolutely nothing disturbing about this lockbox.

Your absolutely right.
    Often I look back fondly on the Enterprise series and Archer regaling of the days the Time Cops started raffling thier vessels back through history to the highest bidder.
    Leonard Nimoy, Spock.....:(

R.I.P
  • husanakxhusanakx Member Posts: 1,605 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    bitemepwe wrote: »
    Your absolutely right.
    Often I look back fondly on the Enterprise series and Archer regaling of the days the Time Cops started raffling thier vessels back through history to the highest bidder.

Don't worry man the Foundries of Cryp... Er I mean the Future...

Can turn just as many ships as the present can pay for. :)
  • redrickyredricky Member Posts: 1,004 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Here we see your ad hominem attack:
    sophlogimo wrote: »
    Those that label themselves as "the PvP community" are not mature...
    Here we see your feelings on such:
    That is not a mistake. The mistake is resorting to ad hominems and that kind of stuff. Although I prefer people who are unable to avoid that mistake to not reply at all, yes.
    By your own logic you prefer that you would not reply at all.

Can anybody point me at the info for the cd reduction doffs Mai mentioned?

Also, I am hesitant to say the sky is falling before it hits me on the head but 5 km on the set bonus seems a bit much. We'll see though.
    edited September 2012
    havam wrote: »
    Great tacs now have access to MW3 and SNB.

i know i know, engies are still the best, sci is misunderstood, and tacs give up everything and the whole world for the damage they do, right, Mav?

More like Engies are the best choice to run the triple SNB doffs, can still run glider the most safely and NOW get a second MW and a Time Stop.

You wanted them to buff engies? Well here it is. The big loser here is Sci Captains. Tacs can't do TRIBBLE without their damage, and with only partial buffs up (in an attempt to "have something in the bag post SNB" their damage is TRIBBLE thanks to resistances. But at least tacs still have Something. Sci captains now, just completely lost their stick in pvp.

A tac is giving up at least one SDO (which is valuable tanking) for SNB doff space. And valuable heals for a glider.

The eng in both cases can just go "to you I say peh Mr Tac. RSF is better than both the borg proc and SDO".
    A target with no buffs, and no ability to receive heals will die, in seconds to even an Eng Cruiser. (especially if said cruiser is loaded up on Lolarons, and plas) Cryptic just gave engineers the ultimate pair of gifts. free buff removal, and a mega enemy healer shutdown, and a second Miracle Worker. If you wanted eng scort to be hax, you just got the tools to do it there buddy. Enjoy.
  • bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    All of the above is if you are using only the Tipler Cylinder, which comes with the Wells and Korath (Lock Box ships). If you also have the Manheim Device equipped (which comes with the Krenn and Mobius - Lobi Store ships), there is a set bonus applied. That set bonus effect is as follows:

- All foes within a 5.0k of the position at which the power was activated, will be held in place for 7 seconds.
    ** This effect cannot be resisted.
    - During this time, they will be untargetable and immune to ongoing damaging effects, as well as being immune to knockback and repel.
    - Foes caught in this stasis field do not have their cooldowns affected - they will continue to tick down at the standard rate while held.
    - Friendly targets are unaffected.

If this explanation raised any further questions or concerns, I'll try and answer them as best I can.

1. Why wouldn't other timeships be immune to the effects of the Tipler/Manheim combo? Especially if they ALSO have a Tipler device? That would seem to be a reasonable counter to this power... blame it on quantum entanglement at the temporal level if you must.

2. Why should friendly targets be able to resist the effect? This doesn't really seem to represent any kind of time-freeze or time-rewind if friendlies in the AoE aren't affected. Plus, it's completely unfair for PvP... friendlies will be able to manuver for tactical advantage against ships that can't move or react, and that gets worse if they're able to chain the effect with two or more equipped timeships.

I can easily envision a scenario where one team has another on the ropes and this gets invoked, allowing the friendlies to heal and buff up while the opposition is helpless.

3. Why not create a special console available in the Lobi store which provides protection from temporal effects? Not only could it provide some kind of immunity/resistance to the temporal stasis effect above, but maybe also resistance to chroniton procs? Make it equippable only on timeships if you absolutely must.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • husanakxhusanakx Member Posts: 1,605 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    OK I know we like to get all sky is falling on this stuff... but I just want to point out one important thing to remember...

In order for you to get the set bonus... do you not have to stick both ships on the same toon... man how many people are really going to drop all that $$$ or EC just to load one toon...

Unless I am missing something and the consoles themselves with be on the lobi store on there own.... which is only a bit better... Really are we worried about teams of people spending 200 bucks each to get a set bonus?
  • ghostyandfrostyghostyandfrosty Member Posts: 864
    edited September 2012
    husanakx wrote: »
    OK I know we like to get all sky is falling on this stuff... but I just want to point out one important thing to remember...

In order for you to get the set bonus... do you not have to stick both ships on the same toon... man how many people are really going to drop all that $$$ or EC just to load one toon...

Unless I am missing something and the consoles themselves with be on the lobi store on there own.... which is only a bit better... Really are we worried about teams of people spending 200 bucks each to get a set bonus?

How many pvpers have bought from gold farmers to get their favorite weapons? How many people, spent hundreds of dollars to get Bug ships?

I think the answer is pretty obvious really.
  • captainf00kcaptainf00k Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    How many pvpers have bought from gold farmers to get their favorite weapons? How many people, spent hundreds of dollars to get Bug ships?

I think the answer is pretty obvious really.

This is common practice?
    RHINO | SAD PANDAS
    edited September 2012
    husanakx wrote: »

Evidently it happens enough that Cryptic still sees a profit in producing better and better Lockboxes to make the playerbase part with thier extra $100's of dollars.

My question is, If its so profitable why does the profit not profit STO more?

R.I.P
    edited September 2012
    This is common practice?

I think it's alot more common than people want to admit to.
    edited September 2012
    TLDR: Timeout is not fun, not fun is bad for business, make PH grant immunity, and ES a counter if applied from outside the effect.

I have run around screaming with my hair on fire in response to release notes in the past. I was sure that the Subspace Snare on the Sci Bort would lead to griefing because you can jam somebody inside an object in PvP. I screamed bloody murder, it went live, as is, and wasn't a problem. So I'm not going to howl about OP Timeships yet.

But, somebody said that not everything needs a counter, and I said I disagree completely. I felt it in my bones that I disagreed, and the thought stuck with me. So without attempting to make a balance or OP argument in relation to other ships and abilities, here's why I object to the 2 set bonus on paper.

On the issue of things having counters, I'm not a real big believer in fairness in real life. As a soldier I did my best to make sure everything was as unfair as possible for the other guy, and as my son grows up I will teach him that in a fight there is no such thing as fairness. But this is my game, my sheltered happy space cocoon. There are devs standing over it who should make sure that everybody is a beautiful and unique snowflake who has a shot at winning if they just keep trying. I don't want to be forced to stop trying, even for 7 seconds.

Devs, you are the DM, the GM. This aspect of the job includes making sure everybody is having fun, and playing. If somebody was running tabletop a game and told a player that they couldn't do anything for a set amount of time, that player might say "Ok, well I have a really high save in this area, don't I get to roll the dice each round to see if I can save against it?" If the DM said no, the other people in the room would probably give him hell. They built their characters, painted their miniatures, assembled their costumes, and poured their Mt. Dew, and now they just have to sit there because the DM says there's no counter? At least if they get to roll on the save each round they are doing something. Even if they never make the save, they'll use that time to plan how to make their character better for the next time. Operationally, they're screwed, but they are motivated to plan strategically for next time, and this is still playing, they are still in the game.

On the topic of this power in this game, specifically, I'm sure the devs took the time early on to reduce load screen times in the game design. Now, they've introduced a power that creates a Temporal Load Screen without the courtesy of fun game facts while we wait.
    It's not a stun. It's complete removal from the battlefield. You cannot act, or be acted upon, in any way.

35 seconds of a hold where you were getting pounded to a paste by the other team would definitely be way out-of-bounds for what could be considered fair gameplay. 35 seconds of time-out, where nobody can do anything to you, is something very different. Powerful, yes. But not a complete "I Win" situation.
    To put this in context, bort is talking about a 5 man premade chaining this ability which is why he's using 35 seconds.

I'm glad that hard stuns that leave you standing there like King Hippo pushing his teeth back in have been recognized as a bad thing.

I feel that a "time out" is also a bad thing. In that moment, taking my hands off of the keyboard accomplishes the same thing as leaving them there. In that moment, playing is the same as not playing. I believe that if players to have that moment often enough they will get your message and not play, permanently.

Let's imagine that a different, though equally horrid, mechanic had been chosen. In order to resist this timeout you have to mash a key more times than the your opponent mashes the key while time is being reversed. (Ignoring connection speed issues and everything else that makes this terrible) In that moment players will damn sure be focused on the game. They won't glance at the clock or notice that copy of Skyrim sitting unopened.

So give me a Polarize Hull soft counter. It didn't make any sense as a counter to the Subspace Snare (which didn't make sense to begin with because if you can shove somebody into a subspace tunnel, why would you bring them out the other side undamaged? But I digress) but somebody decided it needed something to counter it.

Let Extend Shields counter and break it if the extender is outside the radius of the power.
    edited September 2012
    Ricky, you're assuming they are some how smart enough to not only read what you are saying, but comprehend it.
    edited September 2012
    Daniels never mentioned this, because it would have meant to spoil Archer about future events, which he didn't want to do.:P

Nah, Daniels just didn't want Archer to make a killing in future shares of teh Lockbox sales to come.:P

R.I.P
  • captkirrahecaptkirrahe Member Posts: 117 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Your copy of skyrim is unopened?! ;) Get playing it asap, no excuses!

In other news, I also have fears over the 13 sec/(actually 7) time stop dohicky. The only guy who benefits from this is someone who enjoys playing against players who can't fight back. (Like siphon drone users :D) Or just likes making the battle longer>? I'm not sure.
    (Having said that I'm not entirely sure how it works, will have better replies once I've had the ability used on me.)

At least if you're out of the game for 7 secs-35secs you can put the kettle on.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Your Ramming Speed III deals 52098 (99235) Kinetic Damage(Critical) to Remus.
  • borticuscrypticborticuscryptic Member Posts: 2,478 Cryptic Developer
    edited September 2012
    "Every power should have a counter."

Somebody stated this in the other lockbox thread, and I have to say that I generally agree with the notion.

I can't make any promises as we haven't discussed it internally yet, but we will be looking into the concept of giving an ability or two the power to shake off or resist the effects of the Temporal Stasis set bonus. More when a decision is made.
    Jeremy Randall
    Cryptic - Lead Systems Designer
    "Play smart!"
  • x3of9x3of9 Member Posts: 157 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    "Every power should have a counter."

Somebody stated this in the other lockbox thread, and I have to say that I generally agree with the notion.

I can't make any promises as we haven't discussed it internally yet, but we will be looking into the concept of giving an ability or two the power to shake off or resist the effects of the Temporal Stasis set bonus. More when a decision is made.

What about Voyager's Temporal Shielding from "Year of Hell"? A set of shields with a passive immunity to "temporal stasis" and other time-based effects could be a useful counter to this entire family of items.
    U.S.S. Marathon - NX-92781
  • x3of9x3of9 Member Posts: 157 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Or better yet... a Temporal Duty Officer that adds the Temporal Shielding bonus to your existing shields when equipped!
    U.S.S. Marathon - NX-92781
  • marctraiderzmarctraiderz Member Posts: 539 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    x3of9 wrote: »
    What about Voyager's Temporal Shielding from "Year of Hell"? A set of shields with a passive immunity to "temporal stasis" and other time-based effects could be a useful counter to this entire family of items.

Wait, now we have to counter every new ability or TRIBBLE with a specific shield ? lol. More RP please.
  • borticuscrypticborticuscryptic Member Posts: 2,478 Cryptic Developer
    edited September 2012
    We won't be using items or doffs as the counter, if we implement one.
    Jeremy Randall
    Cryptic - Lead Systems Designer
    "Play smart!"
  • diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Can we resist raw dps? :rolleyes:
    Lenny Barre, lvl 60 DC. 18k.
    God, lvl 60 CW. 17k.
    edited September 2012
    diogene0 wrote: »
    Can we resist raw dps? :rolleyes:

Yes. It's called EPTS, TSS, HE, Brace For Impact, Aux ID, APD, Tac Team, Distribute shields, Extend Shields, ET, ASIF, ST.

Maybe you should start asking for advice on how to play in pvp. Instead of facerolling the keyboard and then crying about DPS. The easily weakest force in sto.
    edited September 2012
    I only reply slightly rudely (as opposed to outright insultingly, like you did numerous times) when people are showing to have no manners, and when it bugs me enough to care.
    You imagine that you are possessed of some measure of style in your responses which veils your insults, rendering them permissible.

The content is the same, the manner in which it is delivered is irrelevant to this point: By your own logic you prefer that you would not reply at all.

You have become that which you hate.

You are hated, in part, because you deny it.

Feign not that the odor of your excrement fails to offend.
    edited September 2012
    This is common practice?

Uh, yeah.

Gold sellers wouldn't be in business if it wasn't.

Like one Panda said, I've been priced out of PvP. :P

That and it's boring as hell to grind in this game. I tried to play a little while a few days ago, and I had to quit midway while leveling a char in a mission.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • shimmerlessshimmerless Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I know there's a lot of hullabaloo over the two lottery boats at the minute, but have you guys checked out the time weapons in the Lobi store?

A console that gives 22% (!) turn and increased crit chance/severity? A DBB that has a flat 40% critD and a turn debuff?

I think my Fleet AE just made a new pair of friends.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    vids and guides and stuff

[9:52] [Zone #11] Neal@trapper1532: im a omega force shadow oprative and a maoc elite camander and here i am taking water samples
  • snoge00fsnoge00f Member Posts: 1,812 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Now they just need to compound the SNB Doff effect in a weapon to make it even more dumb. :P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • shimmerlessshimmerless Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    redricky wrote: »
    Devs, you are the DM, the GM. This aspect of the job includes making sure everybody is having fun, and playing. If somebody was running tabletop a game and told a player that they couldn't do anything for a set amount of time, that player might say "Ok, well I have a really high save in this area, don't I get to roll the dice each round to see if I can save against it?" If the DM said no, the other people in the room would probably give him hell. They built their characters, painted their miniatures, assembled their costumes, and poured their Mt. Dew, and now they just have to sit there because the DM says there's no counter? At least if they get to roll on the save each round they are doing something. Even if they never make the save, they'll use that time to plan how to make their character better for the next time. Operationally, they're screwed, but they are motivated to plan strategically for next time, and this is still playing, they are still in the game.

On the topic of this power in this game, specifically, I'm sure the devs took the time early on to reduce load screen times in the game design. Now, they've introduced a power that creates a Temporal Load Screen without the courtesy of fun game facts while we wait.

:D:P

Preach it brother!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    vids and guides and stuff

[9:52] [Zone #11] Neal@trapper1532: im a omega force shadow oprative and a maoc elite camander and here i am taking water samples
  • captainf00kcaptainf00k Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I think it's alot more common than people want to admit to.

It seems that this is becoming a lot less about mechanics and skill and a lot more about gimmicks and wizardry. Not very Trek like, or Federation anyways. See : http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/The_Most_Toys_(episode).
    RHINO | SAD PANDAS