test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

STO Joins Raptr

Comments

• azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I'm disappointed, that Gumato just made my 800 Day Veteran Pet, not so unique as promised. Can I exchange the monkey for another Ship Slot?
  • reallydumbpwereallydumbpwe Member Posts: 60 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Hmm... does it keep track of which toon/faction you're playing under?
    Might give some different figures about KDF gameplay :rolleyes:
  • kingdoxykingdoxy Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    i would point out to those ragging on the contents that the thought process behind them was probably aimed more at new players, not vet's who had already hit the endgame.

the contents of that 'holodeck bundle' would be extremely useful for someone like me, who literally has only 6 hours of actual gameplay to his name. the XP bonus, dilithium, rare weapon, and the consumables would give new players a major boost and a chance to enjoy some of the more interesting content earlier on.

new players have nothing to loose in grabbing the raptr app and tracking their game progress (and being able to compare it relative to others, which is awesome), and offering a "starter pack" of resources helps lure more players as well.

programs like Raptr are a useful tool for companies like Cryptic and Perfectworld to keep track of community info, like the average amounts of time played and the number of people playing in a specific gaming community. when cross referenced with their own internal records and with other gaming communities like Steam, it helps them better understand the players and better tailor the game content.

not to mention it gives them another way to reward players for loyalty to the game, by giving them another vector for freebies and awards.

and don't forget, there is an option to manually input time played, so depending on how they verify that, you vetran players could probably add your time played retroactively.

Nah Brah, We gotta rage against the idea PWE needs to make money. I mean I gave them 300 bucks 2 years ago. Isn't that enough? Now they want more from people to keep the game running?

This giving away of free stuff shows how greedy they really are.

Plus who needs new players? Its not like they generate revenue that is used for future develompment that we can all enjoy.
  • sesshimatosesshimato Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    So let me get this straight. You relaunched an old giveaway, spent the time to reskin it all, and spent the minimal amount of time to do it? Are you people stupid?? I honestly thought PWE and Cryptic were smarter than this, or at least learned their lessons from SWTOR. Seriously, if you don't start listening to your demographic here, you're gonna lose HUGE. I mean, I know it's gotta be getting hard to come up with new content, because you don't want to expend any amount of money on this project because it's gone free to play, but these weak handed attempts to draw in money with TRIBBLE prizes, is exactly why many players are leaving the game. And why a great deal of your core players, the ones who started out BEFORE the game even released have left. Honestly, there isn't enough to convince even the players who paid LIFETIME subscriptions to stay because you keep TRIBBLE up what could be an epic, and monumentally huge improvement to the MMO genre. F2P can make a hell of a lot of money, if you actually DUMP some money into it, and actually LISTEN to your fanbase! What works on one franchise, will not, and has not EVER worked on another. It's been seen with the multitude of WoW copy cats. And you're just insulting the intelligence of EVERYONE who plays your game as it is. New content, or new story missions, or just quit while you're ahead so the game doesn't become another bane in the existence of MMO's that people talk about later.
  • anikaifulanikaiful Member Posts: 138
    edited September 2012
    Hmm... does it keep track of which toon/faction you're playing under?
    Might give some different figures about KDF gameplay :rolleyes:

I don't think that's possible... Would be nice tho to be wrong.
  • admiralthorr360admiralthorr360 Member Posts: 130 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    How will raptr find out we play star trek online? Do we have to download via steam? Or will it auto detect?
  • nyniknynik Member Posts: 1,628 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    You can allow it to connect to steam and collect your playtime across all games. No need to download anything - but you need to find out your steam id (not username, a number iirc) which can be seen in the url when on the steam community website, and your viewing your profile.
  • suavekssuaveks Member Posts: 1,736 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Wait, I'm confused...

The reward page says the only requirements are the game-time spent, not counting facebook and stuff. Yet I've also received a mail regarding Q&A with Dan Stahl which says "NOTE: The best community questions (as determined by Raptr admins) will be eligible to win one of 10 codes for the Captain?s Critter reward, an in-game Gumato pet!".

So which is it? Are these separate somehow? Are there only 10 Gumato keys to give away?
    PyKDqad.jpg
  • c0nd1t10nr3dc0nd1t10nr3d Member Posts: 638 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    suaveks wrote: »
    Wait, I'm confused...

The reward page says the only requirements are the game-time spent, not counting facebook and stuff. Yet I've also received a mail regarding Q&A with Dan Stahl which says "NOTE: The best community questions (as determined by Raptr admins) will be eligible to win one of 10 codes for the Captain?s Critter reward, an in-game Gumato pet!".

So which is it? Are these separate somehow? Are there only 10 Gumato keys to give away?

That's not what my email says....
    some of the best questions will win an in-game pet, and possibly a Star Trek Classic Red Shirt (the real, physical item that you wear) as well!
  • zerobangzerobang Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    adrianm63 wrote: »
    So to have a chance to get a reward in sto made by cryptic I have to create a facebook account which has nothing to do with cryptic....seriously ,fire the guy who has these ideas.

*presses imaginary LIKE-BUTTON*
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • nandospcnandospc Member Posts: 1,260 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    "...through facebook account...". I have G+ and Twitter accounts, can i do same things? :confused:
  • puckdafolicepuckdafolice Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    sesshimato wrote: »
    So let me get this straight. You relaunched an old giveaway, spent the time to reskin it all, and spent the minimal amount of time to do it? Are you people stupid?? I honestly thought PWE and Cryptic were smarter than this, or at least learned their lessons from SWTOR. Seriously, if you don't start listening to your demographic here, you're gonna lose HUGE. I mean, I know it's gotta be getting hard to come up with new content, because you don't want to expend any amount of money on this project because it's gone free to play, but these weak handed attempts to draw in money with TRIBBLE prizes, is exactly why many players are leaving the game. And why a great deal of your core players, the ones who started out BEFORE the game even released have left. Honestly, there isn't enough to convince even the players who paid LIFETIME subscriptions to stay because you keep TRIBBLE up what could be an epic, and monumentally huge improvement to the MMO genre. F2P can make a hell of a lot of money, if you actually DUMP some money into it, and actually LISTEN to your fanbase! What works on one franchise, will not, and has not EVER worked on another. It's been seen with the multitude of WoW copy cats. And you're just insulting the intelligence of EVERYONE who plays your game as it is. New content, or new story missions, or just quit while you're ahead so the game doesn't become another bane in the existence of MMO's that people talk about later.

Quoted for phukkin' truth!
  • yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    advertising scam after advertising scam. i'll have nothing whatsoever to do with this. whoever thought this was a good idea needs a serious talking to by management

the whole concept behind signing up for third party TRIBBLE to get something here is absurd, dangerous and frankly offensive. this is poor treatment of loyal customers. this is all about advertising money for PWE
    I 100% agree.
    Singin up for a thrid party does have nothing to do with being a loyal customer of STO.
    If anything, people who spend more than 2000, 4000 or even more Zen should get a reward. (but please something useful or at least something that is a bit more trekkish than a pet, this isnt't a fantasy game like WOW or LotRO.)

"social networks- bringing you closer to people so you dont actually have to be anywhere near them or interact with them in any way."
    Why should i want to be closer to people i don't know or care?
    I just want to play a Star Trek game and immerse into the Star Trek universe nothing more or less. I do not want to listen or read the same old stuff i listen or read all day anyway.

Live long and prosper.
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)
  • charliescot25charliescot25 Member Posts: 269 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    If anyone wants to add me to Raptr?

It's Charlie25188 :)
    [SIGPIC]USSDundee_zpsfcfe716b.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • lordhavelocklordhavelock Member Posts: 2,248 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I visit the STO page to see if there's anything new/interesting in the game worth coming back to play, and see this...

As I understand it, they want me to sign up to a third-party ad company, that wants access to my personal info, and the info of my friends/family, so they can track how much I play to earn rewards that are pointless for a vet player.

Assuming I wanted to carelessly give out that kind of access (or even to take the time to make a fake profile), there isn't enough content to keep me playing anymore (With the exception of logging on one day to play the "Worf mission" for the TNG Anniversary, I haven't played in months) to count up the Time Played. Do I get credit for past play?

Cryptic/PW can't even take the time to finish the 700 Day Vet Reward, but they can "devalue" my 800-Day Vet Mugato Reward, by recoloring it, and giving it away as part of an advirtising promotion, instead.

I mean, I guess they're trying to get more/new players. Which I like in a general sense - It's too bad they have so little loyalty to old/existing players, and any funds earned don't seem to go towards making any real content (story missions), it just goes to add the next C-Store/Advirtising fluff.

:(

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Playing STO since Feb 2010.
  • jgp1975jgp1975 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Just my two cents here.

These are not horrible options when you consider it. STO is F2P. That means players giving out all sorts of info for in game credit. Now a 3rd party software is a bit more expectation, but still with in expectations. Look at all the "free" apps out there that collect tonsof info on you in exchange for their use. I see this as a fair exchange.

Now if no one has checked into this let me share a few things. You can limit the sharing of information on Facebook. Also Raptr does allow you to limit the timeline sharing to just your personal viewing. This means you friends are not sent endless game spam. I have had Raptr enabled for a month now. I get no more e-mail or FaceBook status notices then I did before installing it. I will have gotten 5 free gifts when the STO items go live. That seems rather nice to me.
  • trhrangerxmltrhrangerxml Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Still not live :-(
    Hi, my name is: Elim Garak, Former Cardassian Oppressor

LTS, here since...when did this game launch again? :D
  • robdmcrobdmc Member Posts: 1,619 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Still not live :-(

Ok that makes sense. I still have no idea how this q&a thing is suppose to work.
  • trhrangerxmltrhrangerxml Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Same here, I hope we don't have to look through all those comments.
    Hi, my name is: Elim Garak, Former Cardassian Oppressor

LTS, here since...when did this game launch again? :D
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I made $35 in ZEN through Peanut Labs in the last two weeks.

Signing up for Raptr for a few freebies seems modest by comparison.

I actually LIKE supporting good marketing initiatives. I like being marketed to well. I like marketers having relevant information about me.

As long as it's optional, where's the harm?

The reward here strikes me as perfect. Maybe a bit modest (I'd have taken costumes over pets until they make it so pets persist while in combat or auto-resummon out of combat) but that doesn't discount new raptr promos later.

I think it's great that STO seeks third party financing to give us things without directly taking our money. It's great that they are opt in.

The alternative would be more C-Store items or (on the other extreme) making these opt in rewards so powerful that they become mandatory. This is a nice balance.
  • hanix1986hanix1986 Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Well, let's not forget to mention the fact that I don't get credit for any of my previous time spent playing the game. It starts clocking you at the time you download the App. So, goodbye 100+ hours of playing this game, it apparently means nothing to this App.
  • tuskin67tuskin67 Member Posts: 1,097 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    hanix1986 wrote: »
    Well, let's not forget to mention the fact that I don't get credit for any of my previous time spent playing the game. It starts clocking you at the time you download the App. So, goodbye 100+ hours of playing this game, it apparently means nothing to this App.

If you've been playing it on Steam and you link your steam account, it counts all those hours.
  • c0nd1t10nr3dc0nd1t10nr3d Member Posts: 638 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I've redeemed my codes on the PWE site... Exited the game... Logged back in and there's NOTHING related to this offer in the C-Store Items Tab! What Gives?

EDIT: Nevermind! I'm blind as a Bat! They're there! Thanks! :)
  • psymantispsymantis Member Posts: 329 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I like the Gumato pet. The silver Mugato is still unique and I switch between them when I want. This way anyone who wants a monkey pet can get one.
    edited September 2012
    I notices that there is a limited number of these rewards. looks like there is about 4500 left.
    edited September 2012
    Downloaded the app, it found 23 games on my PC, none of them STO.

I added STO manually and on the right of the dashboard it states:

"Raptr does not track PC achievements for this game"

Are you supposed to connect to STO via Steam for this to work or something? As it is it's does not appear to work for me anyway.

The only way I was able to import any time was through the steam stats.
  • mithril2098mithril2098 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    well, just claimed my raptr rewards. i was grateful to see that 'experienced' and higher players were eligible for both, which makes the skewing of the # hour's played vs rankings less important.

i look forward to seeing what other offers get made in the future.

"Tiny little dots far, far away. Our eyes drawn to the twinkle of a hundred billion galaxies. Giving life to illusion, illusion to life. Something upon which to hang our hopes."
    - Tobias LeConte - Dream Weaver - seaQuest DSV
  • aestuaestu Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    So I installed the Raptr client. It does not seem able to track my playtime or accolades either retroactively or going forward, nor does it respond to manual input. I definitely have both the client and STO running.

How do I get the client to recognize my activity? Can it be made to work retroactively?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • voporakvoporak Member Posts: 5,621 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    What. The. Heck. Will some kind soul please explain to me what the heck is this? Am I going to be branded less than a newbie because I don't have or plan to use Raptr? Are rainbows boats in PUG stfs going to call me the noob because I have apparently clocked no hours on STO?

Would someone offer an explanation as to what's going on?
    I ask nothing but that you remember me.