test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

STO Joins Raptr

pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
edited September 2012 in Galactic News Network [PC]
We've partnered with Raptr to reward our loyal players with awesome in-game rewards. To celebrate, we're holding a Q&A event throughout tomorrow. Read more for full details.

Click here to read more.

UPDATE: Longtime STO Community Member direphoenix has created a forum thread in the STO Discussion sub-forum that contains dStahl's question and answer session from today. Check it out here.
Post edited by pwebranflakes on

Comments

• jkirk13jkirk13 Member Posts: 63 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Sweet. I don't have to wait for any of it. Raptr says I"m only 19 hours away until Elite for STO.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • hippiejonhippiejon Member Posts: 1,581 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Eh, tried signing up for raptr, and connecting my facebook.
    Just keeps loading and loading and loading and loading and ....
    Whatever , honestly the in game rewards aren't that cool, and I don't need a website to tell me when I am HARDCORE about STO ... LoL ... so whatever .
    Great promotion though, I highly approve. I just don't see myself giving it more than the 10 minutes I tried connecting already. Besides my facebook email and my STO email don't match so probably wouldn't work anyway.
    Like I said , GREAT promotion though.
  • trhrangerxmltrhrangerxml Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Yay, another account wide pet!
    Hi, my name is: Elim Garak, Former Cardassian Oppressor

LTS, here since...when did this game launch again? :D
  • tmunetmune Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I'd really like the Gumato and I'm glad to see it's an account unlock.

One thing I noticed on steam though is that it tracks my time played when I have the launcher up, I don't actually have to fully go into the game for it to track my time, that would let my launcher run and build up time played which is pretty handy for me since I have played STO as a standalone game for near 2 years now and only just joined Steam and Raptr.:D
  • syberghostsyberghost Member Posts: 1,711 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Called it! The Gumato is not a typo!
    Former moderator of these forums. Lifetime sub since before launch. Been here since before public betas. Foundry author of "Franklin Drake Must Die".
  • tehjoneltehjonel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    We've partnered with Raptr to reward our loyal players with awesome in-game rewards. To celebrate, we're holding a Q&A event throughout tomorrow.

guess i'll save my question for tomorrow. ^^
  • tmunetmune Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    "Players ranked "Experienced" or above will...."

Just doing some checking and all that's needed to get "Experianced" is 4 hours. Maybe explains all the "Experianced" players in the pug queues:D
  • darkenzedddarkenzedd Member Posts: 881
    edited September 2012
    Not really playing this game much now, but a Gumato pet will be cool :)
  • darkenzedddarkenzedd Member Posts: 881
    edited September 2012
    tmune wrote: »
    "Players ranked "Experienced" or above will...."

Just doing some checking and all that's needed to get "Experianced" is 4 hours. Maybe explains all the "Experianced" players in the pug queues:D

Haha, QFT! ;)
  • matteo716maikaimatteo716maikai Member Posts: 823
    edited September 2012
    im not impressed. not worth the time. sto is barely worth the time as it is now.
  • yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I don't get the obsession about social networks. I already have a live, friends and family.
    Why is everyone supposed to be part of a Collect... ehm social network?
    I just want to play a Game and have fun while playing it.

Live long and prosper.
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)
  • matteo716maikaimatteo716maikai Member Posts: 823
    edited September 2012
    yreodred wrote: »
    I don't get the obsession about social networks. I already have a live, friends and family.
    Why is everyone supposed to be part of a Collect... ehm social network?
    I just want to play a Game and have fun while playing it.

Live long and prosper.

"social networks- bringing you closer to people so you dont actually have to be anywhere near them or interact with them in any way."
  • mithril2098mithril2098 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    downloaded the raptr app a few days ago. played my first game of STO this afternoon. 7 hours of play, i still haven't figured out how to get dilithium ore or energy credits, or even equip gear to my Boff's.. but i'm ranked "Experienced" because i'm an early adopter of the app. :rolleyes:

i hope they use a less subjective way of judging who gets what rewards, because otherwise those of us who actually use the system as it was intended will get stuck with a non-combat pet and not the helpful 'holodeck bundle' that we could actually use as beginners. oh well, still worth trying.

"Tiny little dots far, far away. Our eyes drawn to the twinkle of a hundred billion galaxies. Giving life to illusion, illusion to life. Something upon which to hang our hopes."
    - Tobias LeConte - Dream Weaver - seaQuest DSV
  • spessmehreenspessmehreen Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    hippiejon wrote: »
    Eh, tried signing up for raptr, and connecting my facebook.
    Just keeps loading and loading and loading and loading and ....
    Whatever , honestly the in game rewards aren't that cool, and I don't need a website to tell me when I am HARDCORE about STO ... LoL ... so whatever .
    Great promotion though, I highly approve. I just don't see myself giving it more than the 10 minutes I tried connecting already. Besides my facebook email and my STO email don't match so probably wouldn't work anyway.
    Like I said , GREAT promotion though.

FYI, there might be some browser incompatibilities. I tried using the Facebook Connect through Chrome, but kept getting stonewalled; I had no problem through Firefox
    The Spice Must Flow...
  • edna#7310 edna Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    So to have a chance to get a reward in sto made by cryptic I have to create a facebook account which has nothing to do with cryptic....seriously ,fire the guy who has these ideas.
  • synthscanner#2101 synthscanner Member Posts: 470 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Up and running no problems, thanks!
  • linyivelinyive Member Posts: 1,086 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    We've partnered with Raptr to reward our loyal players with awesome in-game rewards. To celebrate, we're holding a Q&A event throughout tomorrow. Read more for full details.

Click here to read more.
    What if a player doesn't have a Facebook account? Does that mean I am disqualified? Hmmm... After spending over a hundred and fifty dollars on zen, within a matter of a month, I guess it doesn't pay to be a loyal customer. When I open my wallet to buy more zen, I will not forget this exact moment.

I don't want a Facebook account, nor do I want to join Raptr.

What I do want is to be treated as a loyal customer.
  • stanojoski1stanojoski1 Member Posts: 96 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    where can i get the code from reptr???
  • cormorancormoran Member Posts: 440 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    linyive wrote: »
    I don't want a Facebook account, nor do I want to join Raptr.

You dont have to actually use facebook or raptr. I started my facebook account as a friendless corporate shill account and it'll die as a friendless corporate shill account. Heck, I'll be deleting raptr the second I get the gumato code.
  • zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Yeah so I'm really gonna do this when the last linking 3 months ago has resulted in having to type in full user name and password every time i log in or switch characters and I just get the run around when I try for support. Yeah good luck with this although it feels like its just a scam IMO.
  • hrisvalarhrisvalar Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    PASS /10char
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Reave
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    awesome in-game rewards.

We must have different definitions of the word 'awesome' there Branflakes. :rolleyes:

So for an e-colonoscopy by some company I've never heard of I get...
    • Consumable item that grants 2,500 EXP - I'm at VA, EXP is useful for me how? Now, if that was 2500 Fleet Marks or 25 Master Keys or ... ;)
    • Pack of 5000 Raw Dilithium - Oooo, an hour's worth of grinding! (if that)
    • Random Rare Purple tiered weapon (space or ground) - Space...good maybe, Ground... probably not worth anything on the Exchange
    • Pack of random self dual consumables - pfft! probably not worth anything on the Exchange
    • Pack of random team dual consumables - pfft! probably not worth anything on the Exchange
    • Exclusive non-combat Mugato named "Gumato". - You take the most annoying pet, recolor it and say it's good? Pfft.

How about... Just deposit 500M EC to my Account Bank and I'll run right over to Raptr. You can keep your 'awesome' stuff.
    Sometimes I think I play STO just to have something to complain about on the forums.
  • cmdrskyfallercmdrskyfaller Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012

"Players ranked ?Newbie? or above will earn the Holodeck Bundle for one of their characters. It contains:

Consumable item that grants 2,500 EXP
    Pack of 5000 Raw Dilithium
    Random Rare ?Purple? tiered weapon (space or ground)
    Pack of random ?self? dual consumables
    Pack of random ?team? dual consumables

Players ranked ?Experienced? or above will earn the Captain?s Critter pet for all existing and future characters ? this pet is an exclusive non-combat Mugato named ?Gumato?."

Seriously? Aside from the purple weapon that is just garbage.

How about you guys toss in Respec Tokens or tier 1 to 4 ship tokens (not 5 of course) ...or some previous-event awards like the IDIC tribble... or give a prize of cosmetic item of players choice (troy costume, enterprise mirror costume,etc).

You know, something that does not affect the game play but does have some use. A dumb pet that takes up inventory space or items that are hardly a reward isnt exciting imo.
  • redheadguyredheadguy Member Posts: 423 Arc User
    edited September 2012

I'm so NOT interested in this!! What is this "Raptr" thing? I've never heard of it... I don't care about yet another completely random prize that I can only use on one of my five in-game characters. I'm sick of all the new stuff being "fluff". When are we going to get new content? When are we going to get new STF missions?? Why are so many of the reward items given out via random chance these days?? It makes me think this game is all about gambling with no room for a players skill.

So I say NO! I won't be doing this!
    [SIGPIC]

[/SIGPIC]
  • darkwhite0darkwhite0 Member Posts: 158 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    There are some accolades involved?0o
  • lazarus51166lazarus51166 Member Posts: 646 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    advertising scam after advertising scam. i'll have nothing whatsoever to do with this. whoever thought this was a good idea needs a serious talking to by management

the whole concept behind signing up for third party TRIBBLE to get something here is absurd, dangerous and frankly offensive. this is poor treatment of loyal customers. this is all about advertising money for PWE
  • karmapointkarmapoint Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    The promotion is good, anyway.

But in the future rewards, Crypt/PW and Raptr can give some different twist, like fleet marks, something cool like a unique ship bridge (this a kind of reward really cool we need to see around) or other thing.
    Brasilis Elite Squad
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PW/Crypt can't make more KDF Content?
  • mithril2098mithril2098 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    i would point out to those ragging on the contents that the thought process behind them was probably aimed more at new players, not vet's who had already hit the endgame.

the contents of that 'holodeck bundle' would be extremely useful for someone like me, who literally has only 6 hours of actual gameplay to his name. the XP bonus, dilithium, rare weapon, and the consumables would give new players a major boost and a chance to enjoy some of the more interesting content earlier on.

new players have nothing to loose in grabbing the raptr app and tracking their game progress (and being able to compare it relative to others, which is awesome), and offering a "starter pack" of resources helps lure more players as well.

programs like Raptr are a useful tool for companies like Cryptic and Perfectworld to keep track of community info, like the average amounts of time played and the number of people playing in a specific gaming community. when cross referenced with their own internal records and with other gaming communities like Steam, it helps them better understand the players and better tailor the game content.

not to mention it gives them another way to reward players for loyalty to the game, by giving them another vector for freebies and awards.

and don't forget, there is an option to manually input time played, so depending on how they verify that, you vetran players could probably add your time played retroactively.

"Tiny little dots far, far away. Our eyes drawn to the twinkle of a hundred billion galaxies. Giving life to illusion, illusion to life. Something upon which to hang our hopes."
    - Tobias LeConte - Dream Weaver - seaQuest DSV
  • ethoirethoir Member Posts: 122 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Any hope of something for people that don't have a Facebook account or don't want one?

Example: The player has a twitter and a Livejournal, but not Facebook or Myspace and has no interest/intention of getting one.
  • robeasomrobeasom Member Posts: 1,911 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    im not impressed. not worth the time. sto is barely worth the time as it is now.

I agree with you here don;t think I will sign up for it not much point
    NO TO ARC
    Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
    Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
    Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]