test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Server Disconnects/ "Not Responding"/ DCing

I have been sending customer support tickets for the last 3 days now and tried every trick in the book that i was being either adviced or even i myself could come up with which disconnects me from STO every 5/10 30minutes randomly through time spend on STO .

Now i am just going to post my ticket i send in with there responses so maybe some people who have better ideas can tell me something more constructive advice .

Subject
I keep getting disconnected constantly

Discussion Thread
Response Via Email (Support Staff 48) 08/28/2012 11:09 AM
Hello!

Please try the following and see if they help resolve your issue.

In the Launcher, go to Options and check 'Disable On-Demand' patching. See if this works.

You can then try to 'Force-Verify' to make sure your files are not corrupt or missing.

You can also try to run in Safe Mode as well.

Here are some other possible solutions if you have not already done so:

Make sure the game and your drivers (graphics, network, sound, motherboard, etc) are fully updated.

You may have to be on a Windows Admin account, or have Run as Admin access to be able to download, install, update, and run the game. If on Windows Vista or 7, you may have to change the level of your UAC settings or turn them off temporarily.

You can try adding the game folder/files to your exceptions list in your antivirus and firewall software. Please see the help menu or support website for the software that you use if you aren't sure how to do it.

At your own risk, you may have to disable your antivirus, firewall, and other security software temporarily while you download, install, update, login to, and play the game. Sometimes the security software will block it or throttle it, no matter what you try or even if you try to add exceptions for the game files in your security software.

Stop any processes that may be interfering with the networking and causing issues with your connection.

Remove/Uninstall any unnecessary programs such as toolbars or Pando Media Booster. You may also need to close programs such as Teamviewer.

You may need to uninstall the game, making sure to remove any excess files, then re-install it.

If the above does not work, please respond with answers to the following:

1) What exactly did you try from the above, and what were the results? (If you have tried them already, let us know exactly which you have tried)

Regards,

The Perfect World Tech Support Team
http://techsupport.perfectworld.com/
Customer By Email 08/28/2012 10:55 AM
Your response is not the problem solving one .
I am still either being not capable to log in the first time , or when i am logged in i am being dropped of the server to the logging screen again .
This just now has happened over 4 times during the last 1 hour and 30 minutes .
Response Via Email (PennDragon) 08/27/2012 03:51 PM
Hello,

I apologize for the difficulty you experienced connecting to the server! This can sometimes happen when the game is patching or undergoing maintenance.

I recommend restarting your computer and network hardware, and attempting to log in again. If you continue to experience the same error, please let me know and I will escalate your query.

We appreciate your patience, and thank you for playing!

Cryptic Support
Perfect World Entertainment
Auto-Response 08/26/2012 05:10 PM
The following answers might help you immediately. (Answers open in a separate window.)

Title: I can't patch/update, install, download, login, start or otherwise enjoy the game, help?
Link: https://support.perfectworld.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4120

Title: RH - What is this X-Trap software that is running on my PC with Rusty Hearts?
Link: https://support.perfectworld.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2076

Title: My Internet seems fine, but I can't connect to the game server. How can I try to fix this?
Link: https://support.perfectworld.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1993

Title: The game won't connect to the game servers, what can I do?
Link: https://support.perfectworld.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1989

Title: I can't get the game to finish downloading or installing, why does it keep stopping right before it gets done?
Link: https://support.perfectworld.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1992
Customer By Web Form 08/26/2012 05:10 PM
I keep getting disconnected constantly from the game during combat situations or just standing in a station or what other situation .
I get freeze ups while in combat , just sudden kick off's from the server .
Even had a sudden close down of the whole game and ended up in the desktop with no STO browser left aswell .
I have NOD32 internet security with firewall , when running firewall i get kicked of , and without the firewall on i get kicked off .
I updated my graphics driver just last week .
My internet provider is very reliable , with any other game like Battlefield3 DC universe or other game it is fine .
I got no other third programs besides teamspeak3 and Apple Itunes latest edition .
60Mbits/sec internet connection
All i get is the message "get disconnected from server" , "contact support" .

windows 7 pro 64 bit
Intel Core Quad CPU 2.5ghz
8192 RAM
Self Build with ASUS mainboard and AMD graphic 1gig HD 5700 series
754mb graphic internal memory .

I AM A LIFETIME Subscriber also by the way . ^^

Product Level 1: Star Trek Online
Category Level 1: Tech Support
Category Level 2: Login/Patching/Network
Date Created: 08/26/2012 05:10 PM
Last Updated: 08/28/2012 11:09 AM
Connection Type: cable internet
Date/Time of Problem: constantly every day of the hour
Character:
Server:

Operating System
Window's 7 64bit

Internet Service Provider
Ziggo

Computer Manufacturer
ASUS

I have responded also that re-installing does not work either .
I have said that there was mentioning on the forum about server to client issues , specifically on the European server .
Now i even tried something myself where i thought it could have been me router i use between my modem and internet cable connection , but still get disconnected from the game suddenly .

I feel i am not being really helped by the support customer service .
The links they send me are nothing of the sorts that give me any information on my connection problem what so ever .

Any more constructive insights from you players anf forum techy's
Post edited by verbodentoegang on

Comments

• miloguymiloguy Member Posts: 60 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    similar to what i got via email

how can it be so bad with so many people having the same problems??

it cant all be our modems/ net ips etc??
  • anikaifulanikaiful Member Posts: 138
    edited August 2012
    The disconnection problem isn't at your own end at all, it's Cryptic's shoddy servers - I begun having such problems today myself. Getting disconnected approx. every 5th minute. Completely unplayable, except for Doff assignments.

And yes, have rebooted the machine, restarted the router (thrice), etc - everything works without fault, except for STO which keeps booting me out (usually when I warp or land somewhere). System autoupdates its drivers the moment new ones come available, so they're up to date 24/7.
  • dirtyfernadezdirtyfernadez Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    same problem here i have to leave the game
  • ga1enga1en Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I actually have that exact same problem with World of Tanks. Every so often the modem will lose connection and reset.

My current workaround is to run utorrent and seed a few popular files to force the connection to stay open.

I used to run live365 and that usually works but sometimes the disconnects still happens.

Basically run a program that is constantly uploading something to the net to keep the connection open. Live 365 is a download so it can be interrupted by whatever strange thing is going on that is causing the modem to reset.

Checking with the net didn't show any solutions so this is my personal workaround to my disconnection problem. Hopefully it will also work for you.
  • supernaut93supernaut93 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I am having a similar issue. Apart from the disconnecting every 5 minutes or so, are you also experiencing huge lag spikes?

When I am in-game during the 5 minutes or so between disconnects, I am rubberbanding back an fourth. I have attempted to do my Asteroid Mining daily, and on my end, I see that I have a score over 800 with a few seconds left, and suddenly I lag a little, and my score drops to ~200... :mad:

This is very frustrating, and I haven't experienced this problem prior to the latest patch.

I have reset my router, REPLACED my cable modem (Yes, physically went to my ISP's office and swapped modems.), closed all other running applications including my anti-virus and firewall software, and I have verified all of my drivers are up to date.

The game is definitely unplayable.
  • alexa01alexa01 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I also got a similar email and have tried everything they have said and followed it step by step and i still keep disconnecting this is the first time it has happened to me and it started after they patched the game adding the new racing uniforms. I disconnect every 3 to 5 mins and its really annoying. Everything else works fine except sto. If it helps I'll post the email they sent me and I tried it all.
    Greetings Player,

======> Here's some information that can help you with some common problems.

Please first restart your computer and network hardware and try again a little bit later before trying anything else. This is important!

You may have to be on a Windows Admin account, or have Run as Admin access to be able to download, install, update, and run the game. If on Windows Vista or 7, you may have to change the level of your UAC settings or turn them off temporarily.

You can uninstall Pando Media Booster or shut it down (PMB.exe in Windows Task Manager) if you start getting unusual lag spikes, system resource problems, bandwidth issues, or other network issues (usually after you install the game, or if Pando has issue with a current install). Info about pando issues: https://support.perfectworld.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4042

You may need to update or install the latest Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable.

You may need to update your version of Windows, also may need to update to the latest version of DirectX and Internet Explorer 8 or 9 with Javascript enabled. You may also need to check or change your network settings. In addition, you should check that your CPU, mainboard, and CPU drivers are updated if applicable.

You can try adding the game folder/files to your exceptions list in your antivirus and firewall software. Please see the help menu or support website for the software that you use if you aren't sure how to do it.

At your own risk, you may have to disable your antivirus, firewall, and other security software temporarily while you download, install, update, login to, and play the game. Sometimes the security software will block it or throttle it, no matter what you try or even if you try to add exceptions for the game files in your security software.

You may also have to disable, shut down, uninstall, or disable any: torrent, keyboard/mouse, web browser toolbars, video/screen capture, gamepad/input device, multimedia, Instant Messaging, voice over IP, web browser games, other games software applications before downloading, installing, updating, logging into, and playing the game. Basically shut down all non-essential programs.

- You can try using the Task Manager built into Windows to review what processes and services are running on your computer that might be causing problems or using too many resources.

Or you can use Process Explorer, which you can download from Microsoft:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653

You may need a program like Winzip or WinRAR to extract the file. Put the executable file (ends in .exe) in a folder location where you can find it easily, like your Desktop or Documents. Then just start it up.

Please note that the information that it shows is of a technical nature, and shutting down (or kill process) processes that you don't really know what it does can mess up or crash your system.

This tool is best for seeing what is running, and you can research the processes that you see online in a search engine to see what can or can't be shut down. You can also find out what could be responsible for any software conflicts, or if something is using too many resources on your system.

If you are unsure of what to do with this tool, see Microsoft's support for this tool, and/or have a PC Tech professional help you.

If you need further help, when you contact us by a support ticket, please answer the following questions:

What exactly did you try in the information presented to you?

What changes to your software did you make?

What errors did you get?

Pragmatically Yours,

Your Perfect World Tech Support Team.

___________________________________-
    if anyone has any solution i'd appreciate it I live in the US
  • aspheasphe Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    ping -t to patchserver.crypticstudios.com = averages between 50-80ms depending on time of day.

/netgraph ingame = ping of 150->15000ms -> d/c | extreme ruuberanding (not a doff assingment... yet). While the ping to the patchserver stays loss-free and below 100ms.

Hmm... well I have access to a proxy usable for voice comms. So I go from San Diego to Osaka... patchserver ping is now in the 200-300ms range. /netgraph has the same result. Ok... from Singapore... same result.

Ok, one account from San Diego, an alternate account from Singapore (as near as I can tell, that makes the point of origin to be.. a world apart?) The pings to the patchserver are 50/300ms as expected but the rubberbanding/lag... the same.

The fix? Don't go near ESD/DS9. Forever. If I somehow manage to get out of those areas, it's usually ok. What I don't get is how the pings to the patchserver remain low and stable... is it in the same network locale as the game server?
    edited September 2012
    ok I fixed mine unfortunately the only way to fix it was to uninstall sto and reinstall it. I understand many people will not like this solution as it takes quite awhile however out of all the solutions i have tried this is the only one that has actually worked for me. I hope this helps all of you
  • venarravenarra Member Posts: 112 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Unistalling and reinstalling mine only made matters worse (no cached pages, everything "patches" again).

No wonder this game failed when it hit the market...
    edited September 2012
    well yes reinstalling everything patches again because the data no longer exists. But i'd rather have everything patch again then have to deal with disconnecting every 5 mins. Like I said it was a solution not everyone would like but one that worked for me. It does take me some times to get to places as I have to patch again but I count it as a small price to pay for not disconnecting. You could probably save the cache and files and reinstall it the issue with that is that if you have a file that is corrupt which I am not sure that the launcher will find since I did force verify many times and it said nothing was wrong then the problem will not go away and will continue. Also if that doesnt work and you want to go to the extreme side to play the game which many won't unless they are hard core players use an external hard drive to save all your comp data it could also be your windows someone became corrupt and will need to be reinstalled if you tried everything listed above that gms wrote to me and the thread starter. That is also a possibility but like i said very extreme and most people would say forget it. I guess it depends how badly you want to play.My solutions may not be perfect but they have worked perfectly for me I have yet to disconnect again, the only issue is I take longer to load into places because the game needs to patch to all the places I have been again but thats it. Ultimately the choice is up to all of you on what to do. Good luck I hope you all find solutions I know how frustrating it can be.
  • armyguy1893armyguy1893 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    My internet connection resets just like the rest of you all. Any permanent fixes?
  • darkfader1988darkfader1988 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    OP: There are real EU/US seperate servers, there is indeed a setting to change proxy server though.

FYI, the EU proxy has been dead since last season got released, it simply doesn't want to connect properly.

US Proxy always worked best for me, (I live in the same country as you)
    MT - Sad Pandas
  • darkfader1988darkfader1988 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    ga1en wrote: »
    I actually have that exact same problem with World of Tanks. Every so often the modem will lose connection and reset.

My current workaround is to run utorrent and seed a few popular files to force the connection to stay open.

I used to run live365 and that usually works but sometimes the disconnects still happens.

Basically run a program that is constantly uploading something to the net to keep the connection open. Live 365 is a download so it can be interrupted by whatever strange thing is going on that is causing the modem to reset.

Checking with the net didn't show any solutions so this is my personal workaround to my disconnection problem. Hopefully it will also work for you.

Dont mix up your internet connection problems with a game,

That your modem resets and disconnects has nothing to do with Cryptics server so lets keep this a productive thread, come back when you fixed it on your side.
    MT - Sad Pandas
  • armyguy1893armyguy1893 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Dont mix up your internet connection problems with a game,

That your modem resets and disconnects has nothing to do with Cryptics server so lets keep this a productive thread, come back when you fixed it on your side.

I have NO problem with ANY other program, game, or online service. None whatsoever. It is ONLY when I connect to STO that I have this issue. The internet connection resets after I've been logged in for 5 or so minutes. It never fails.:mad:

Where are cryptic's tech support folks? Aren't they supposed to help with stuff like this?
  • grouchyotakugrouchyotaku Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I have NO problem with ANY other program, game, or online service. None whatsoever. It is ONLY when I connect to STO that I have this issue. The internet connection resets after I've been logged in for 5 or so minutes. It never fails.:mad:

Where are cryptic's tech support folks? Aren't they supposed to help with stuff like this?
    In case you haven't noticed, this Forum is for 'Peer to Peer' help. If you want help from the support folks, then you need to post on the 'Official' PWE tech support forum...

http://techsupport.perfectworld.com/
  • xcom43xcom43 Member Posts: 723 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Just got kicked from game no reason no nothing on ESD
    The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.
  • brokenmirror2012brokenmirror2012 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Server is very bad right now, lots of DCs, mass DCs. Every few minutes a large chunk of ppl DC.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2012
    I freaking keep getting Booted from GAME every other time i transfure to another map area and it is really getting annoying loging back in every time.
    The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.
  • cptjhuntercptjhunter Member Posts: 2,288 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I keep getting bumped just Doffing my alts every 5 minutes, or so. I don't want to que up for any team, or fleet actions, for fear of TRIBBLE up other people's run.By getting logged out or a server lag at a critical moment.:(
    edited October 2012
    cptjhunter wrote: »
    I keep getting bumped just Doffing my alts every 5 minutes, or so. I don't want to que up for any team, or fleet actions, for fear of TRIBBLE up other people's run.By getting logged out or a server lag at a critical moment.:(

This is why they need to feed there hamsters more often
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • zdfx19zdfx19 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Sorry dudes. Those hampsters can only grind so much dilithium per day and they aren't making as much from wheeling on through those STFs. So they haven't met their refinement quota for the day to pay for the bandwidth. We'll just have to wait until tomorrow.
  • cptjhuntercptjhunter Member Posts: 2,288 Arc User
    edited October 2012

Think they eat Taco's?:D
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited October 2012

I don't think they feed them, they just let them run till they die, and then replace them... I am pretty sure that's cheaper than actually feeding them.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
    edited October 2012
    anazonda wrote: »
    I don't think they feed them, they just let them run till they die, and then replace them... I am pretty sure that's cheaper than actually feeding them.

LOL

Just

LOL
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • gpgtxgpgtx Member Posts: 1,579 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    i was noticing this a lot yesterday as well. would be just floating in sector chatting with my fleet
    victoriasig_zps23c45368.jpg
  • zerobangzerobang Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    i noticed some bad lag these past 2 days

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BwnMWaMbMc

did not get disconnected, but the whole game feel sluggish at times, doors don't open as fast as they should, i keep running against them, the user interface feels just as sluggish

rebooted my computer and did reset the router, since then i had no more problems but i haven't seen lag like that in forever (and battlefield 3 was running just fine an hour earlier, so i doubt it was my home connection but rather somewhere in the middle or at cryptic directly)

sitting in germany here, my ping to the US servers isn't the fastest anyway but still in a playable range.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2012
    In one day i have had 10 server kick's It is not my ISP that is the issue they checked out my modem and said it is working fine.

But 30 people i have talked to say they are all so getting booted for no reason at all like me I kept getting booted when i was on mission's going threw Map Transfer.

This issue is really starting to annoy the hell out of me.10min's ago i had 2 Server Disconnected on ESD twice in a row not even 3 mins.

Is there no body watching the server's or what.:mad:
    Are the server's resetting them self's from overheating issues.
  • admiralandyadmiralandy Member Posts: 189 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I have been having this problem and it does seem like there is insufficient server support as often happen at busy times ie when american players come online with European players so Saturday night UK particularly bad.
  • quinnstriatequinnstriate Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I was having this problem for a few days. The first time it happened the servers crashed and were offline for hours. I was inthe middle of a CureSpace too. The next day it happened to me in Infected Space. Me and two other players kept getting kicked and having to log back in. I don't know what's with all the DCs lately
  • andyslashandyslash Member Posts: 195 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    last night i was getting kicks for just playing dabo. every 4-6 spins was a DC.
This discussion has been closed.