test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Interactive objects... lit by creepy candle flames?

Comments

• assimilatedktarassimilatedktar Member Posts: 1,708 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    The old glow was different but I'm happy that the gears got replaced. And the reason for it is that you know which stuff can be interacted with and which is decoration.
    FKA K-Tar, grumpy Klingon/El-Aurian hybrid. Now assimilated by PWE.
    Sometimes, if you want to bury the hatchet with a Klingon, it has to be in his skull. - Captain K'Tar of the USS Danu about J'mpok.
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,115 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    capnbludd wrote: »
    Actually gears replaced the glow, and the glow has now reclaimed its place from the usurper.:P

The glow NEVER looked like that. I wish they would jut go bacl the the originak flashing console (which worked fine fore more than a year), as this new interact prompt make it look like things are either on fire; or massively shorting themselves out.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    The glow NEVER looked like that. I wish they would jut go bacl the the originak flashing console (which worked fine fore more than a year), as this new interact prompt make it look like things are either on fire; or massively shorting themselves out.

Nah, now they're just powered by fairy dust and unicorn tears. :P Now they didn't look very Trek Like, but I liked the gears. :( I just hope for some kind of LCARS reminiscent interact prompt soon.
  • alchemistidalchemistid Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Probably a dense question, but do other PW games have interacts like this?

Personally, I wish the interacts looked like before this change, but were red/blue depending on faction.
  • skurfskurf Member Posts: 1,071 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I'm still having trouble figuring out which consoles I can interact with. They should put party poppers and fire extinguishers on them that are continuously discharging while rotating and blaring Dixie.
  • diotwdiotw Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I think I'm going to start wearing my EV suit all over places like Earth Space Dock. Seems like there's been several highly dangerous radiation leaks of late. Problem seems to be spreading too, I encountered it on Bajor last night. Maybe a saboteur in the Starfleet Corps of Engineers? :rolleyes:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    This character is why I don't play my Romulan any more. Tovan Khev is NOT my BFF! Get him off my bridge!
  • lomax6996lomax6996 Member Posts: 512 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    The old glow was different but I'm happy that the gears got replaced. And the reason for it is that you know which stuff can be interacted with and which is decoration.

Agreed... the gears were what I found irritating... the glow is a big improvement, IMO (I never put IMHO because my opinion may be a lot of things... but they're never humble :P)
    *STO* It’s mission: To destroy strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations... and then kill them, to boldly annihilate what no one has annihilated before!
  • praghaspraghas Member Posts: 239 Arc User
    edited August 2012

It was pretty easy previously to tell the difference, now all this change does is really ruin the immersion of a game already lacking it.
    Cloaking generators break down at first sign of language.
  • maxvitormaxvitor Member Posts: 2,213 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    A simple floating icon over consoles like there already is over NPCs would be more than sufficient, for consoles for mail banking or the exchange, you don't need anything, as soon as you get close to the console a button pops up on your HUD anyway.
    On ground missions anyone who doesn't know how to use the tricorder is playing the wrong game.

These interact effects are just not really needed and why there was a need to change them to their current incarnation is anyone's guess.

Just give me the option to turn the effects off and you can put a big yellow sign waving on the end of a coilspring on these objects for all I'd care.

Are these "enhancements" supposed to be an aid to players or are they a means for the developers to troll the community?
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    praghas wrote: »
    It was pretty easy previously to tell the difference, now all this change does is really ruin the immersion of a game already lacking it.

Duh yeah.... I agree it was very easy. I guess the flashing "Mirage" look and giant floating gears were not enough for some people. -_-
    Personally, I wish the interacts looked like before this change, but were red/blue depending on faction.

Oh good god No! The KDF red UI is bad enough! We don't need it flying around! :eek:
  • paxfederaticapaxfederatica Member Posts: 1,496 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Just be glad PWE didn't make interactables into lockboxes that you need a key to interact with. :P
  • karcornerkarcorner Member Posts: 294 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Maybe y'all should, you know, get out and do something instead of obsessing with it. Go watch Twilight or something. Or maybe even run an STF, if you can handle leaving your console.
    edited August 2012
    Ya let's all bend over and say ah and hope that by ignoring the problem it will go away, that always works.
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • naffoffpwenaffoffpwe Member Posts: 62 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I actually prefer the new "flaming" effect to the previous "gears" effect, as I find it slightly less distracting.

That said, I'd much rather have it changed back to how it was when the game launched, never did understand why Cryptic had to change it in the first place, I mean its not like there isn't plenty of other things that need doing, without wasting time re-doing things that are working perfectly well to begin with.
    The user formerly known as DogsBody.
    Here before PWE (and hopefully) here long after PWE is gone.

What this game needs is PvP, NOT PWE.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2012
    Your consoles will be assimilated, resistance is futile.

Does this effect make it easier to find things - yes too easy.
    Does it look fake - yes.
    Does it ruin immersion - yes
    Is it distracting - yes.
    Does it discourage loitering around consoles in public areas - in my case yes
    Does it make you want to reach for a fire extinguisher - yes
    Does it make you want to reach for a party popper - yes
    Does it make you think of hotdogs and roasted marshmallows - yes
    Does it make you think of barbequed suckling pig - yes
    Does it make you want to destroy the console to make it stop glowing - yes
    Does it enhance your gameplay experience - not a snowballs chance in Gre'Thor.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • ferdzso0ferdzso0 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Oh good god No! The KDF red UI is bad enough! We don't need it flying around! :eek:

I think the klingon UI should be changed to a full annyoingred screen, interupted by some BoPs flying around from time to time

10k DPS Vesta threads: 1; 2
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Kinda silly looking...

Just give us an option to shut it off...

Then I won't care what They change it too...,

... for those who can't figure out how to play the game.

Somebody must have Forgotten that the TRICORDER,

...was created in the game just for the purpose of FINDING THINGS THAT ARE INTERACTIVE.

Funny how just about every Trek episode shows examples of this particular activity...

And of course it's not like 99% of the player base has ever seen an episode.

:rolleyes:

[/sarcasm]
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • danquellerdanqueller Member Posts: 506 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Admiral's Log:

Console and closet still on fire. No word on when Engineering will arrive to fix this, but I'm getting concerned they secretly want this to continue to force me from Command.

I've received reports from the Forge, Exeter, Queller, Hermitage, and Zenith that they have multiple fires as well. The Wells lost her First Officer when he used enough extinguishing agent attempting to put out the fire in their Ready Room that it consumed all the available oxygen in the room. Xerox lost three new crewmen when they decided to jump from their window to escape the flames, forgetting they were on a starship. Orpheus seems to have suffered a loss of warp drive after the Science Officer mistook the flames for an alien lifeform and attempted to mind-meld with it. He'll probably recover, but the warp coils he burnt out on his attempt to achieve warp 400 are going to take weeks to replace, once they get the ship back to the yards.

I honestly cannot fathom what Starfleet was thinking with this last 'upgrade', but I do know it is seriously jeopardizing the readiness of my fleet, as well as the sanity of my Officers. I am still awaiting action by Command HQ on a fix, but I have to admit the flames dancing before me as I write this are not making it easy to use the terminal.

As a final note, I wish to re-state my opposition to the removal of the medical screening for pyromania in the Corps of Engineers entry exam.

End recording.
  • beezle23beezle23 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    If they wanted to have some overdone FX that were truer to the show, consoles should be giving off a shower of sparks and have an NPC passed out in front of them.
    Admiral's Log:

We hosted the Tholian Ambassador today on its trip to address the Federation Council regarding the current incidents between their Assembly and the Federation. The Ambassador was quite taken by the continuing flames from many of our consoles, and advised us to continue the good work. I didn't think a reply to the effect that we had been doing all in our power to extinquish them would go over well.

The Defiance lost her Chief Engineer yesterday. The man actually tried to throw water on the fires blazing away on the board controlling the Mains. I've received word through unofficial channels that he'd been close to a nervous breakdown as the result of Captain Escorda's constant demands that he find a way to put out these flames, so I wouldn't be surprised if the man just cracked. Will he be the first of many?

Posideon reports her attempts to beam the burning consoles into space have failed. Apparently, whatever is causing this 'effect' has bonded the quantum nuclear pattern of the affected consoles to the rest of the ship, so it was no different than the transporter trying to beam itself elsewhere. I think the results of -that- have been clearly covered in the Academy, so it's no surprise the safety systems kicked in.

Orpheus has regained minimal warp capability, though the exact method of repair has been omitted from the report. However, supply requisitions on file in the Fleet database note she was transporting an old-style steam engine for delivery to a museum on Betazed. I really don't want to know.

No word from Starfleet. Consoles still in flames, and Science Officer McKenna seems to think the effect may spread to other parts of the ship if we don't find a way to contain it. Chief Medical Officer Yur'Fi is also concerned the hypnotic effect of the fires may cause some crewmen to fall into a catatonic state, though I think she may just be fishing for more stimulants since I removed her stock of Romulan ale from the medical supplies compartment.

I can only hope my messages to Starfleet aren't being jammed by whatever this effect is.

End Recording
  • danquellerdanqueller Member Posts: 506 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Admiral's Log:

The situation aboard my flagship is deteriorating. With our consoles still on fire and our Chief Engineer unable to even explain what is causing it, crew morale is becoming...erratic. Today, First Officer Ratchek had to discipline seven crewmen for setting up an unauthorized gathering in the forward Damage Control Locker. They were reportedly using one of the affected consoles to roast hot dogs. Three other crewmen have been put on medical leave following reports they were heard holding conversations with the fires. No word on if they received any responses.

Other ships in the fleet are facing similar breakdowns in discipline.

Posideon has submitted a report detailing a fight that broke out among members of the MACO detatchment aboard over the use of the only unaffected data terminal in their barracks compartment. No weapons were involved, but as one of the crewmen was a Horta, that holds little comfort.

Xerox seems to have had to isolate eleven crewmen who have suffered some form of mental deterioration as a result of looking too long at enflamed duty consoles. Their compulsion to make hardcopies of the entire Starfleet Officer's Handbook, and then continue to copy the pages until the replicators ran out of materials to make toner seems inexplicable, and I agree with Commander Durik'sla's decision to sedate them until we can return to Starbase Sierra Three Nine.

Forge's sitrep concerns me more, however. The ship lost gravity when several consoles in Environmental suffered breakdowns, and the backup relays failed to engage. Crewmen in the compartment assumed it was another of the 'flaming consoles', and failed to react to an actual fire until it had progressed to the point that the master control systems were damaged. With the loss of inertial dampening, the ship has had to slow to bare minimum headway and restrict turns to avoid injury among the crew. Estimated repair time is seventeen hours, assuming no serious setbacks.

Still no word from Starfleet on my calls for assistance. Since it was the Corps of Engineers who produced this nightmare, I have expectations they will produce a repair for this 'effect' soon. However, as I feared, my Commo reports the same effect must be intefering with our subspace transmitters as the silence from HQ seems unnatural. All we can do is keep sending regular reports in hopes someone receives them and forwards them to the appropriate authorities.

I only hope we can hang on that long.

End Recording.
  • tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited August 2012
    Just FYI.
    The FX change was due to a code change made a while back, which broke the old style of FX that had been applied to clickies. Rather than revert the code change, a new type of FX had to be made, which did not rely on the object's position.
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    tacofangs wrote: »
    Just FYI.
    The FX change was due to a code change made a while back, which broke the old style of FX that had been applied to clickies. Rather than revert the code change, a new type of FX had to be made, which did not rely on the object's position.
    Ah, cool. You should see what it does in foundry missions where you have to interact with big objects! It's pretty!!! :D
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Thanks for the info, however the consoles still have the horizontal flashing line moving upwards, this is surely enough to indicate the whereabouts of interactive consoles.

The whole point of this thread is that they are unwanted and spoil the immersion of the game by adding fantasy style graphics into a Star Trek game. Please don't say that this is not revertible.

Cheers
    Matt
    I'm not sure exactly what Tumerboy is refering to, but it may have to do with the glitch that shutdown the KDF Lore terminal.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • darkenzedddarkenzedd Member Posts: 881
    edited August 2012
    Just FYI.

Any chance you could take the chimp that designed this back to the zoo?

It is about time humans started designing stuff for this game again :P
  • tobar26thtobar26th Member Posts: 799 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Just FYI.

Could someone break it again please? I'd like a new one :P
  • nyniknynik Member Posts: 1,628 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    tobar26th wrote: »
    Could someone break it again please? I'd like a new one :P

I laughed more than I should have. =)
  • reximuzreximuz Member Posts: 1,172 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Just FYI.

The new design needs more revision, setting everything on fire wasn't a good solution.
  • mkilczewskimkilczewski Member Posts: 284
    edited August 2012
    Just FYI.

Yea, that's what we figured. Something else got broke...
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Just FYI.

Dosn't make it it any less horrible, or less crappy to look at...

Sorry taco... I know you guys are probably doing the best you can, but this just dosen't fly.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas