test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Tholians -- A look at their vessels

124»

Comments

• tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited July 2012
    2 - The Tholians don't really go outside their territory. They're not aggressive, just xenophobic.

This was my take. Tholians didn't really care about us, they were busy doing their little crystal spider thing somewhere.
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    2 - The Tholians don't really go outside their territory. They're not aggressive, just xenophobic.

By saying they're not aggressive, it implies that they are not hostile. They ARE aggressive about their territory and they have definitely been shown to be hostile on different occasions.

It would be safer to say that they are reclusive and (as far as we know) not normally given to expanding their borders through conquest.

On the other hand, I would imagine them to be opportunistically hostile toward anyone that gets close enough to them without permission. And Nukara Prime does seem to be outside their territory, so obviously we can't say they never leave it. I'd back that up with numerous references to Tholians having diplomats.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • badname834854badname834854 Member Posts: 1,186 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I am not clear why ALL of the Tholian ships have "metalic textures" - for a crystaline-based race, I would imagine smoother lines and things that remind us more of jewels....
  • tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited July 2012
    I am not clear why ALL of the Tholian ships have "metalic textures" - for a crystaline-based race, I would imagine smoother lines and things that remind us more of jewels....

You are made of meat. Why is your car not shaped like a steak?

MMMmmmmmm . . . steak car . . . .
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • voiceoftemprusvoiceoftemprus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    tacofangs wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaFZTAOb7IE (classic)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-9t9BIBLKw (noir)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0yRsQK9vG0 (infofilm)
    "CO once had devs, but they all fled to STO and NW because they feared Caliga." -matixzon
  • starfleetfcstarfleetfc Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012

I read that in homer simpson's voice.
  • badname834854badname834854 Member Posts: 1,186 Arc User
    edited July 2012

TRIBBLE hoc ergo propter hoc

With all due respect, that is the most weaksauce counterarguement in the history of counterpoints.

That's a red-herring and a straw man all in one!!!!!!

I mean, aside from theme being "pointy" they don't properly have the lines of a Tholian ship...they should be smoother and more glass-like...what was your reasoning in making them "Metallic" instead of crystalline?
  • reximuzreximuz Member Posts: 1,172 Arc User
    edited July 2012

With all due respect, that is the most weaksauce counterarguement in the history of counterpoints.

I mean, aside from theme being "pointy" they don't properly have the lines of a Tholian ship...they should be smoother and more glass-like...what was your reasoning in making them "Metallic" instead of crystalline?

There isn't metal on demon class planets? The Taco's argument isn't really flawed, our technology doesn't really derive from what we are made of, it derives from science and design needs.

I can't find any information on Memory Alpha to say that Tholian ships were made out of crystals. I would even say that the tholian ships seen on screen don't look glass like at all, though they have less edges, or at least the original TOS ones do, the Enterprise and Remastered TOS ones aren't as smooth as the original TOS versions either.

You have this notion of what a Tholian ship should be, but it doesn't seem to be based on anything existing in canon.
  • darren0kitlordarren0kitlor Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited July 2012

Sir, you are the one guilty of TRIBBLE hoc ergo propter hoc.

Your argument was:
    1) Tholians are crystalline.
    2) Tholians have spacehips.
    3) Why don't tholians have crystalline spaceships?

Taco pointed out the TRIBBLE hoc ergo propter hoc in your argumentation.

He simply stated that our principle material structure is different from the vehicles we use--and therefore other species could follow suit. A crystalline species doesn't necessarily have to have crystalline structure or materials anymore than our human spacecraft require organic, flesh structure or materials in their construction.

Just because he used humor doesn't mean that there weren't logical underpinnings framing the structure of his argument.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • amosov78amosov78 Member Posts: 1,495 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    This was my take. Tholians didn't really care about us, they were busy doing their little crystal spider thing somewhere.

Except during the mid-24th century where Starfleet had all sorts of problems with them, of course.
    U.S.S. Endeavour NCC-71895 - Nebula-class
    Commanding Officer: Captain Pyotr Ramonovich Amosov
    Dedication Plaque: "Nil Intentatum Reliquit"