test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Tholians -- A look at their vessels

Comments

• hippiejonhippiejon Member Posts: 1,581 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    The Arachnaphobe in me is quite pleased with the ability to blow up things that either resemble spiders or have spider names. These designs are great JamJamz. Plus , spider killing. Win Win.
  • allfather777allfather777 Member Posts: 285 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Hi Sir, :D

You did a good job making those ships JamJamz, I'm Gonna Love Destroying them ! :D

Allfather
    Lord of Destruction - Allfather - Holy Lamb of Knowledge - Commander of the 7 Nation Army - The Victory Sire
  • captainbmoneycaptainbmoney Member Posts: 1,323 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    The only good bug is a dead bug.

Like my fanpage!
    https://www.facebook.com/CaptainBMoney913
  • tanith1989tanith1989 Member Posts: 109 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    they are quite imposing vessels cant wait to take on a tarantula
    Ketan Merious
    Captain, U.S.S Transcendent
    Explorers Fleet, Senior Member
    We want an Odyssey variant give us it
  • captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    foundrelic wrote: »
    Gem names would make a LOT more sense. I doubt they would name their ships after Terran Arachnids, especially when they're a crystalline species and the gem names would most likely have a direct parallel in their native "tongue".
    valiant797 wrote: »
    They didn't name their ships after arachnids... we did. Tholians probably have their own terms for their ships, but the Federation ship identification chart lists them with arachnid names.
    Exacto.

Tholians speak in harmonized frequencies through their carapace. It's likely impossible for them to speak our phonetic tongue based language, just as it is for us to sound like a tuning fork, unless you're some master Opera Singer...even then you'd probably sound like a toddler Tholian larvae or something.

Tholian ships are know for making webs. Spiders are known for making webs. Simple logic.

If they ever produce a starship that can pop out of a subspace pocket and snatch a ship and drag it back into the pocket, expect Starfleet to call it a Bird Catcher...and then TRIBBLE their pants.
    Delicious candy with lots of angry, red-hot spiders inside?

You know there was a prank on the Tonight Show, where they sold a lady a bag of Doritos, and the bag was moving, so she had the clerk open it and a Tarantula came out. Dead Serious.
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,985 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Gawd I hate spiders. Thanks for the nightmares to come. ;)

I like the way they skitter about and "Screech" when attacking!

I finally got my woman to be OK with the big leggy spiders way up on the ceiling corners by explaining that they were "Spider Killers" as well as insect eaters.

Then she asked me one day what they eat in the winter........
  • montrosiummontrosium Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    My SIC (Second In Command), in my Fleet goes bonkers when an insect or spider gets near her.
  • thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,985 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Tell her to avoid the new Tholian missions then.

They tend to beam in in back of you and suddenly you hear this chittering and then they are skittering around you.....
  • amosov78amosov78 Member Posts: 1,495 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    valiant797 wrote: »
    They didn't name their ships after arachnids... we did. Tholians probably have their own terms for their ships, but the Federation ship identification chart lists them with arachnid names.

It was the same with the Romulans, Starfleet designated the D'deridex-class as a B-Type Warbird.
    U.S.S. Endeavour NCC-71895 - Nebula-class
    Commanding Officer: Captain Pyotr Ramonovich Amosov
    Dedication Plaque: "Nil Intentatum Reliquit"
  • nileight1nileight1 Member Posts: 249 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Great job!
    Can't wait to see them in action!
  • sollvaxsollvax Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    "Engineer replicate a size 4000 boot please"
    Live long and Prosper
  • philosopherephilosophere Member Posts: 607 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Great work guys and thanks JJ for posting the images!

Glad to see a (almost) totally positive thread for once. Very refreshing.

NOBODY SPOIL THE FEELING GOOD VIBE!

...please?...
    Are we there yet?
  • lordfuzunlordfuzun Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    You've made me parinoid. I've been fighting Tholians a lot on Tribble. I come back to holodect and for a split second a Borg'ified Atrox from a certain angle looked like a Tholian Dreadnaught. I must admit my jumped a bit when I saw it.
  • kwiat007kwiat007 Member Posts: 144 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    All look great. Congrats!
    [SIGPIC]Join Date: August 2009[/SIGPIC]
    I live in an alternate universe, where j.j. abrams and cryptic never existed,
    where R.S.E. is what it always should be.
  • ebeneezergoodeebeneezergoode Member Posts: 227 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Those ships look really, really cool. That Tarantula is a monster! Are they getting added to the Foundry as assets?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • tebsutebsu Member Posts: 372 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    i am on tribble and where can i see them? i only see those ground missions over there but no space mission
    What ? Calaway.
  • hevachhevach Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    tebsu wrote: »
    i am on tribble and where can i see them? i only see those ground missions over there but no space mission

They're showing up in Starbase Blockade Run and Starbase Fleet Defense occasionally - you face a random enemy in them, but keep queuing and you'll see them eventually. Possibly No Win, too.
  • flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    These ships are looking awesome, it has to be said. It's nice that we've got a variety too (compared to the Cardassian and Romulan factions, each of which currently have less ships that the Tholian's do). :P

Suffice to say, people whine and ***** about Cryptic all the time; saying they don't do anything and are useless at presenting new toys to play with. These Tholian ships (along with their models and eventual release) prove that you guys are working on some damned neat stuff, so credit where it's due, you're sure entitled to it here.

Can't wait for under siege. Going to be awesome!
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,649 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I'd like to suggest this thread be moved the Art of Star Trek Online forum. :cool:

I'd really like to see more stuff like this. Maybe scale comparisons of previous designs. As well as the new ones that should come along.
    (/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)
  • psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Those ships look epic. I can't wait to blow them out of the stars. :D
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • zerobangzerobang Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    looking at the original artwork these ships came from:
    http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-5Ck8km18BJ8/T_LnvMYtIUI/AAAAAAAAHTI/Tf3nuIVXzxk/s1600/Star+Trek+Online+Tholian+cruiser.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-t-wMk5E_ee4/T_LnwbV1Q5I/AAAAAAAAHTQ/m8av2_u78r0/s1600/Star+Trek+Online+Tholian+dreadnought+concept.jpg

http://img6.imagebanana.com/img/7ohuj2sb/5b9c93eacb3e35a46c9dc8929474355d1341.jpg

and the Series models: http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Tholian_starship_%2822nd_century%29

i really have to wonder, why all those STO Ships turned out so ...BLUE?

http://ssl-sto.s3.amazonaws.com/img/site/tholian/a_tholian_ship_reference_sheet.jpg

the Artwork and the Ships from the show are clearly gray/silver-ish

can some Photoshop Pro maybe make a fake of one of those pics with a more canon looking texture?

would really want to see how they look with the proper color scheme from the Artwork.

//edit:

i also notice that the actual in-game "Tarantula" Ship doesn't really resemble the Artwork of the Dreadnought close enough.
    http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-t-wMk5E_ee4/T_LnwbV1Q5I/AAAAAAAAHTQ/m8av2_u78r0/s1600/Star+Trek+Online+Tholian+dreadnought+concept.jpg

http://ssl-sto.s3.amazonaws.com/img/site/tholian/a_tholian_ship_reference_sheet.jpg

the windows are not nearly as prominent (removes the illusion of size)
    the *wings* are more in the back... and i don't see that yellow tholian web in that artwork either.

in this case i have to say the Artwork looks much better than the end result :-/
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2012
    Why blue? Three reasons:

1 - Blue is awesome.

2 - Tholians used blue during the 22nd century; apparently they've gone back to a similar color scheme by 2409. The Terran Empire did the same thing, right?

3 - We have more than enough greyish-yellow ships in the game already.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • tharkantharkan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Wow nice looking designs. Especially the widow! There is a familiar look! But uh... I may be wrong but I thought Tholian ships were named after gems? Like the Amethyst class, Ruby class and the Quartz class like in Klingon Academy...? Its been so long so I apologize truly if I am wrong as I hope you don't think I'm discrediting your work in any way cuz I'm not! It made sense though especially after observing them in the original series, Enterprise, and Star Trek: Shattered Universe that they looked crystalline in appearance... But amazing work! Can't wait to see them in action!

While I have absolutely no idea about this, the names of the ships seem to me a bit to similar to the naming system Cryptic used when coming up with the names of enemies that worked for Arachnos in City of Heroes (which I absolutely love, partially because of the overabundance of big villain organizations named after poisonous snakes but complete lack of big villain organizations named after poisonous arthropods).

Still, excellent work on the ship designs.
    edited July 2012
    Gawd I hate spiders. Thanks for the nightmares to come. ;)

Now you know how Amanda Barclay feels ;).
  • starjumpersixstarjumpersix Member Posts: 210 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    When I encounter their ships, I'm going to need a giant fly swatter...or boot...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Sup?
    edited July 2012
    Is it me, or does there seem to be a bit of a transformative metamorphosis theme to the ships (I'm talking about in terms of their shapes, not size)?

The Widow starts off as a crystal, then parts of its backs are raised to form an arrow-like shape to form the Mesh Weaver. Next, part of the top separates from the main body but is still connected to it, and becomes more pyramidal, while the bottom splits to form two larger, more malformed pyramidal shapes, all of which surround a budding rhomboid nucleus, creating the Orb Weaver.

The Reculse is formed when nucleus grows significantly, while the three other sections elongate and become more uniform and clawlike. The final metamorphosis into the Tarantula occurs when the front of the claws close up around the nucleus, forming a shell, while the backs of the claws separate and form three more claws that are instead connected to the back of the nucleus, and the middles of the claws undergo a drastic change and form three web like "wings".

Does anyone else see this?
  • drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited July 2012
    They remind me a bit of the Chig fighters from Space: Above and Beyond. But in my book that's a good thing. I can't wait to get these in the Foundry and have some admiral say "Get those Tholians out of my sky!"

We are getting these in the Foundry right? Like next week, right? :D
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • hp1239hp1239 Member Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I hope we get to take them on in regular play and not just in pve or foundry missions!
  • mimey2mimey2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Me too... if I got to name these ships, it would have certainly been names of delicious candy.

Oh...like what? :P

Cherry Fondue?
    Crunchy Frog?
    Ram's Bladder Cup?
    Cockroach Cluster?
    Anthrax Ripple?
    Spring Surprise?
    I remain empathetic to the concerns of my community, but do me a favor and lay off the god damn name calling and petty remarks. It will get you nowhere.
    I must admit, respect points to Trendy for laying down the law like that.
    edited July 2012
    And more importantly: if the Tholians can field a ship that big (it dwarfs the Bortasqu, the D'deridex AND the Jem-Hadar Dreadought), why aren't they our supreme overlords yet?

Two reasons:

1 - Bigger doesn't necessarily mean better. Remember all those damaged/disabled Borg Cubes we saw in Voyager?

2 - The Tholians don't really go outside their territory. They're not aggressive, just xenophobic.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    -Thomas Marrone