test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

So...PW changed what they wanted?

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
Right after the PW sale we were told that PW wanted the KDF to be a full fledged faction and that a big KDF PvE update was in the works. However in the most recent interview with Dan he says that PW would have preferred the KDF remain "monster play" and that they mainly focus on end game PvP content. So which is it?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited April 2012
    Right after the PW sale we were told that PW wanted the KDF to be a full fledged faction and that a big KDF PvE update was in the works. However in the most recent interview with Dan he says that PW would have preferred the KDF remain "monster play" and that they mainly focus on end game PvP content. So which is it?

I'd have to lean with Dan the man said.

I don't see the KDF ever getting such a huge update, not for years at least
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Geoff_484 wrote:
    I'd have to lean with Dan the man said.

I don't see the KDF ever getting such a huge update, not for years at least

That really has nothing to do with my question. My question is what does PW want, since we have been told 2 contradictory things.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    So which is it?
    It was probably both. At the time of the sale (May, 2011) PW probably felt there was revenue to be made by making the KDF more viable. After 10-11 months of data they've come to the conclusion that the KDF will never have a major fan-base following and that putting too many resources into that direction is just a waste of money. So ultimately it's just easier to focus primarily on end-game for both groups - and also expanding on PvP and making the war actually viable seems like a reasonable choice as it kills several birds with one stone.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    That really has nothing to do with my question. My question is what does PW want, since we have been told 2 contradictory things.
    Whom did you expect to answer your question? Are you looking for a general community feel, or fishing for a developer response? If Dan himself answered your question, would your questions still be unsatisfied? :confused: How about PWE_Branflakes, since he has "PWE" in his name?
  • Options
    edited April 2012

They will spin the answer.
    I am pretty sure the real answer is somewhere in between like this: PWE and Cryptic want to make big meta systems for the game instead of Story Content.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    I tend to believe whatever said later. This may point to the fact that STO has not been commercially that successful even aftar f2p hence cancelling development of KDF faction. :(

Or that they think making end game content will benefit all people and add to the game's longevity.

But they did erase Kerrat/Warzone Hmm
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    PW wants what their shareholders want
    Cryptic wants what PW wants
    the Devs want what Cryptic want

But at any of these stages there can be changes to reflect "operational reality". Shareholders in the end want to make players happy, but each step can modify what is desired due to reality, things like profitability and creating something that works, etc.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    There have to be more Klingon players to get more Klingon content, but there has to be more Klingon content to get more Klingon players.

Perfect catch-22 situation.

I've written off EVER seeing significant Klingon content development.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    To give you my personal 2 GPLs, Nagus, I suspect there's a gulf between what you want to hear and the truth. As much as it would be cool to have Klingon content from the Academy all the way to Dahar Master, I suspect that it will be unlikely that we'll see that in the near future, largely becuase the faction doesn't have that big of a draw.

But to preempt any "chicken and egg" arguments, I will simply ask, rhetorically: with all of the various Star Trek series that have come out between TOS and now, we have there never been any movies or series based on the Klingons? Because people don't watch Star Trek for the Klingons. Similarly, most players don't play STO for the Klingons, or the Romulans, etc.: they play it for the UFP.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    But at any of these stages there can be changes to reflect "operational reality".
    To me this is the real issue. People seem to think that no one can change their mind. That someone can think X is a good idea and a few months later realize it's a terrible idea and that they shouldn't do it. People change their minds, and corporations change directions based on where they think revenues will come from. It's just as true with McDonalds selling Lattes as it is with Mom-and-Pop Hardware deciding to no-longer stock and sell chicken wire because it just eats up inventory revenue.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Obsidius wrote: »
    To give you my personal 2 GPLs, Nagus, I suspect there's a gulf between what you want to hear and the truth.

The only thing I want to hear is a clear answer to my question: What does PW want for the KDF? And possibly(depending on the 1st answer): Why did they change what they wanted?

What I personally may want for the KDF is totally irrelevant to the question(s) I'm asking.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    The only thing I want to hear is a clear answer to my question: What does PW want for the KDF? And possibly(depending on the 1st answer): Why did they change what they wanted?

What I personally may want for the KDF is totally irrelevant to the question(s) I'm asking.

You seem to be confusing 'want' with 'going to happen.' I want world peace. Wanting it doesn't make it happen.

I want to retire wealthy, but wanting it doesn't make me wealthy.

To paraphrase Scarface, "First you get the money, then you get the power, THEN you get the KDF equality."
  • Options
    edited April 2012

PWE wants a healthy game, but different individuals have different opinions. Some would argue that a healthy 2 faction pvp game should be the goal, while others may argue having a full level 1-51 experience for KDF would be another goal. At the end of the day, Cryptic has to decide how we spend our manpower and address the long term health of the game (which is what everyone at Cryptic/PW is ultimately watching over).

So Cryptic has approached the healthy game target with different options and right now that option is focus on End Game because nearly everyone is Level 51 so any effort there benefits everyone and the long term health of the game the most. If we can do more, we will.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    kimmera wrote:
    I want to retire wealthy, but wanting it doesn't make me wealthy.
    Wanting to retire wealthy is the first step to being wealthy. All the other steps are a lot harder, though. :)
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    kimmera wrote:
    You seem to be confusing 'want' with 'going to happen.'

You seem to be confusing things I said with things I didnt say.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Cosmic_One wrote: »
    Wanting to retire wealthy is the first step to being wealthy. All the other steps are a lot harder, though. :)

Nah, its a step, but not a required one... you can become wealthy incidentally (such as inheritance or a lottery win).
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    dstahl wrote: »
    PWE wants a healthy game, but different individuals have different opinions.

I think that is obvious. However if it is simply a matter of different people having different opinions, they why did you tell us that PW(in a collective context) wanted the KDF to be on par with the Feds?
    We are talking about this... it might happen. Also, had some more discussions with Perfect World today about Klingon Play and they want to invest to ensure that the Klingon Faction gets up to par with the Feds as soon as we can staff up and do it, with the emphasis on Fed vs Kdf gameplay (pvp, pve). This is good news and I'm working on the long term schedule for how we are going to get there.

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?p=3715871#post3715871

Why were we repeatedly told that PW(in a collective context) wanted equal factions if it was simply a matter of "different individuals have different opinions"?
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    PWE wants a healthy game,

Heh. Thought they bought a healthy game already?
    Cryptic has to decide how we spend our manpower and address the long term health of the game (which is what everyone at Cryptic/PW is ultimately watching over).

What happened to all that extra manpower and resource infusion the sale was bringing?
    because nearly everyone is Level 51 so any effort there benefits everyone and the long term health of the game the most. If we can do more, we will.

That's a direct contradiction of the last time you folks addressed that topic. It really is. The whole thing about "data mining" and how people were found to be mostly in the 20s in terms of level.

/sigh
  • Options
    edited April 2012

Thing is, you're not the first person to ask that question since DStahl's return; and it's one they seem to be avoiding/deflecting at every turn - leading me to believe:

1) Yes, PWE/Cryptic did change their mind with regard to future development for the KDF as far as what was said during the nF2P transition days (including a post by Stromshade emphatically stating a "Klingon content patch was in the works - and that he wouldn't come to the Forums to post such if he hadn't heard it from multiple internal Cryptic Devs.)

and

2) Regardless of how much you, I, or anyone else (including the ardent supporters of the KDF faction who've been lead around and teased with "it's coming" too many times in the past year and REALLY deserve an upfront, honest and straightforward) answer. I don't think we'll EVER get it officially, as it would honestly put Cryptic/PWE in the position of fending off the negative reactions and press that a current honest answer to this question would bring STO.

And lastly, rememebr this whole thing is probably out of the Dev's hands and even DStahl's hands as I'm sure the decision was made at upper management levels; and while we probably will see the occassional addition of KDF content (like 'Alpha') every once in a while the "KDF Content Patch" atm, is just off the table. But, you won''t them comment on anything that would or could be seen as nothing but 'negative' in the gaming press; and saying "Yes, Cryptic/PWE has changed our minds RE: a fuul PVE KDF faction in the near term (say, within the year2013 )" would be seen and reported as exactly that and even cause players who don't really have a view, or realize the situation, to become aware, and have a negative reaction.

And like you, how I personally feel about th KDF faction, and what I want or don't want to see have no bearing on my above comments. And if Cryptic/PWE proves me wrong and gives a upfront/straightforward/honest answer to the question, I be happy to take the above back and say - "Hey, I was wrong."

ETA: I see DStahl came in and posted as I was typing the above; and while I think it is an honest answer; it's not all that upfront with regard to the "KDF Content patch" that was mentioned as "coming" and "why they now start new KDF characters at 23 and require new players to play a Fed to 25; so we have ime to 'backfill' KDF PvP content. Either way, it's pretty evident Cryptic/PWE's focus has again changed with regard to KDF only PvE story mission content from what was stated during the F2P transition.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Armsman wrote: »
    1) Yes, PWE/Cryptic did change their mind with regard to future development for the KDF as far as what was said during the nF2P transition days (including a post by Stromshade emphatically stating a "Klingon content patch was in the works - and that he wouldn't come to the Forums to post such if he hadn't heard it from multiple internal Cryptic Devs.)

Well it might not be Nagus' point but I'll stand up and take some heat on this one.

They didn't change their mind.

It was just another completely hollow/empty promise in terms of the topic of the KDF.

Toss it on the pile with the rest.

Many people said that when the KDF was cut in half and turned into a micro-faction that the faction was finally abandoned. And the company has a long track record of terrible PR spin.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    I think that is obvious. However if it is simply a matter of different people having different opinions, they why did you tell us that PW(in a collective context) wanted the KDF to be on par with the Feds?

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?p=3715871#post3715871

Why were we repeatedly told that PW(in a collective context) wanted equal factions if it was simply a matter of "different individuals have different opinions"?

Because priorities change. IMPO, as a vet MMO player, the answer is self-evident and typically does not come with any apologies from the dev staff. You develop the features that will benefit the most players or earn the most revenue, and if there's still time left on the schedule before the next ramp-up, you work on wish list items.

In the world of MMOs there's no such thing as a promise. Anyone who thinks differently is, for lack of a better word, delusional.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Because priorities change. IMPO, as a vet MMO player, the answer is self-evident and typically does not come with any apologies from the dev staff. You develop the features that will benefit the most players, and if there's still time left on the schedule before the next ramp-up, you work on wish list items.

Stating that priorities change is like stating that the sky is blue; obvious statement is obvious. And no apology is being asked for. What is being asked for is an actual explanation. Do they have to give one? No. But that doesnt mean I cant ask. We were told(repeatedly) that PW wanted equal factions, now we're being told something completely different. I'm asking for the reason behind the change, not the obvious fact that there was a change.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    ... and it was such a nice Klingon Week...
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    We were told(repeatedly) that PW wanted equal factions, now we're being told something completely different. I'm asking for the reason behind the change, not the obvious fact that there was a change.

I think any good Ferengi worth his salt could see that, if there was a change, it is probably because faction equality won't earn much of a profit, so far as the current playerbase is concerned ;) But shareholders don't typically respond to questions on forums. Them and the Marketing people have more control over development direction than the developers themselves.

Maybe if more players tried the Klingon faction, they might change their minds, but I've seen this issue before with City of Villains, and the "red side" never quite got all of the attention the smaller but vocal players for that faction asked for.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    On September 2nd 2010 I said:
    Asakara wrote:
    I say Cryptic just calls Klingons "monster play" and be done with it. :)

Perhaps they got the message.

:)
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    So Cryptic has approached the healthy game target with different options and right now that option is focus on End Game because nearly everyone is Level 51 so any effort there benefits everyone and the long term health of the game the most. If we can do more, we will.

I am a Klingon player with several characters at Level 51 (and several Fed characters maxed as well) plus shoulder like others the responsibilities that come with trying to keep a fleet healthy and alive.

The biggest complaint that crosses my flight path on a near daily basis are players (myself included) who want different things to do than the simple rehash and rerunning grind of the STFs.

When we were going into our interview with DStahl, I as a Klingon player wanted to know what was going to be done to make us start at level one.

Then I walked away realizing something ... What good is it to start at level one if we are going to lose those same players at level 51 just because they grow board with the game ... not having new and exciting things to do.

I have to side with the EP on this one as my Klingon wants healthy activity to keep him fit in the old age of his existence within the game.

And we have been seeing new content rolling out beyond the featured episode ... and this isn't even touching on spoken of plans to revamp PvP, Foundry as well as add in new game assets for fleets ... like Starbases*
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    I think any good Ferengi worth his salt could see that, if there was a change, it is probably because faction equality won't earn much of a profit, so far as the current playerbase is concerned ;) But shareholders don't typically respond to questions on forums. Them and the Marketing people have more control over development direction than the developers themselves.

Maybe if more players tried the Klingon faction, they might change their minds, but I've seen this issue before with City of Villains, and the "red side" never quite got all of the attention the smaller but vocal players for that faction asked for.

The problem is, these kinds of blatant contradictions and PR spin leave people unclear of what is really going on. When plans change, they need to come out and say it and stop beating around the bush. If there isnt some kind of NDA they should also tell us why. Just be *honest* and people will take things much better than saying one thing one day and then saying something completely different the next with no kind of explanation as to why it changed.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    The problem is, these kinds of blatant contradictions and PR spin leave people unclear of what is really going on. When plans change, they need to come out and say it and stop beating around the bush. If there isnt some kind of NDA they should also tell us why. Just be *honest* and people will take things much better than saying one thing one day and then saying something completely different the next with no kind of explanation as to why it changed.
    That I agree with. It's easier to just tell us why, and then ignore all the whining because the change, then to just say X changed. Either way though, some people are going to feel like a promise has been broken as they can't accept that things need to change.
  • Options
    edited April 2012

Its plain and simple and you know the answer why try and start trouble, PW is a company and companies are allways changing, depending on how the information and data they get goes, there has been several respnces in here like this which does answer your question, th problem is you just dont like the answer. and nothing they say whill satisfie you so why should they bother.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    PWE wants a healthy game, but different individuals have different opinions. Some would argue that a healthy 2 faction pvp game should be the goal, while others may argue having a full level 1-51 experience for KDF would be another goal. At the end of the day, Cryptic has to decide how we spend our manpower and address the long term health of the game (which is what everyone at Cryptic/PW is ultimately watching over).

As missions scale now, isn't anything added "end game" as far as people already at 51 are concerned?
This discussion has been closed.