You all frighten me.

:D
  • Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited April 2012
    TerilynnS wrote: »
    You all frighten me.

At least you recognize when something gets a bit too weird.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Gurian wrote:
    MMORPG = Many Men Online Role-Playing Girls

Dunno about "role playing" , but I too prefer to make female toons because they are nicer to look at .
    (I have 2 male toons)

As to how my female toons were "received / perceived" ?
    - One is based on a classic cartoon , and I got a ton of references to that cartoon over the last 2 years . People think it's amusing to play along a character from the Flintstones . :)
    - One carries the Title "Medic" , yet she is my most efficient ground combat toon (STF/PVP) .
    I have been complemented on her "skill" both as a healer and as a "survivor" who put Rebbecca to sleep many a time (when all my team was dead) .
    - One is a Cardassian who serves the KDF -- and I've gotten into more conversations about her being a Cardie and her role on the KDF then her being "female" .

My 2 cents .
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    LOL.. this has definitly cheered me up after a hard day at work
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    The first thing you see when you wake up from a punishing Borg bolt, is a beautiful Orion girls face, are you seriously telling me you would rather have a man standing over you?

Hm. Let's see. Animated non-photorealistic virtual female hovering over my animated non-photorealistic virtual character vs. an animated non-photorealistic virtual male.

Sorry, doesn't really do much for me. It's all photons on my end. I'll be more concerned with getting my health and shields up before I get fried again.

Also, you're assuming that the guy is going to be looking at her face. If the character is as chest-inflated as a bunch of female characters are, that might be a poor assumption.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    bluegeek wrote: »
    Hm. Let's see. Animated non-photorealistic virtual female hovering over my animated non-photorealistic virtual character vs. an animated non-photorealistic virtual male.

Sorry, doesn't really do much for me. It's all photons on my end. I'll be more concerned with getting my health and shields up before I get fried again.

Also, you're assuming that the guy is going to be looking at her face. If the character is as chest-inflated as a bunch of female characters are, that might be a poor assumption.

Lmao, just proves the saying: all men (whether introvertly or extrovertly) are perverts. Us guys know this to be true.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    bluegeek wrote: »

We'd need males with inflated chests to test this.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    There's one in every forum.

My thoughts exactly....:D
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    TerilynnS wrote: »
    You all frighten me.

Why? I am not a bad man and have not fallen from grace, so much as sauntered gently down and found myself in a land not too different from that I left. :p

Besides, I wish I could talk my Wife into wearing the green body paint, if only once...................
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Aelfwin wrote: »
    Dunno about "role playing" , but I too prefer to make female toons because they are nicer to look at .
    (I have 2 male toons)

As to how my female toons were "received / perceived" ?
    - One is based on a classic cartoon , and I got a ton of references to that cartoon over the last 2 years . People think it's amusing to play along a character from the Flintstones . :)
    - One carries the Title "Medic" , yet she is my most efficient ground combat toon (STF/PVP) .
    I have been complemented on her "skill" both as a healer and as a "survivor" who put Rebbecca to sleep many a time (when all my team was dead) .
    - One is a Cardassian who serves the KDF -- and I've gotten into more conversations about her being a Cardie and her role on the KDF then her being "female" .

My 2 cents .

So that's why the name sounded familiar... I did an STF or two with your Wilma Flintstone character :P
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    While normally I'm somewhat obsessed with the philosophy and ethics of gender, this whole exchange is so trollbait I just can't do it.

However I will say that most guys RPing as girls are usually not convincing. Even in professional literary fiction it's hard to find a man who can write a compelling female character. They usually fail at nuance, either going the 'man with TRIBBLE' route or the stereotyped into oblivion femme bimbo route. I have a female character that it is the former by design (I can't imagine a Capellan/Zaldan mix as anything but macho), but my other two female characters I think are realistic. However successfully executed Vulcans are too subtle for almost everybody, so that leaves my KDF main who is an Orion.

She does wear the bikini, but not simply to show skin. As you might guess from my signature, I play a *canon* Orion, to the best of my ability. She understands and values her culture, metaphorical warts and all, and as people raised in any given culture tend to do, has internalized these values and prejudices sometimes without a full objective evaluation. As such a dyed in the wool Orion, she is a vain manipulator who uses her wiles unscrupulously, indiscriminately, and always, always deliberately. But it's important to note that this is not done as some commentary on women or as a female stereotype, but as a commentary on Orions and as an Orion stereotype.

Behind the cold manipulative facade there is an actual heart and even maternal instincts. She does care about a few select people enough to take monumental risks, and she is protective of her crew though perhaps not loyal.

Anyway, I will stop rambling about the character, the bio is in my sig. The point I'm making here is that it is possible to play a 'hot' Orion woman without being a one-dimensional bimbo. Though honestly most of the 'hot' Orions I see don't even RP and are probably created because the guys playing them would just rather look at an avatar that is attractive to them. There really is no deep meaning to gender roles there. (Though it would be nice if the collective male consciousness would try to empathize more with female perspectives and find both the perspective and experience to be equivalent with their own.)
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    The advantages to having a female toon, especially if they are Orion are as follows
    >

Hi,
    I also have 2 female toons; one is an Orion. Really a pretty one, sometimes scantily-clad. Several times people tried to date her at Qo’noS, which is quite amusing but not necessarily an advantage:rolleyes:. However, I experienced several times during pvp that a guy don’t want to shoot at her and I got an easy kill :p. Once in Shanty town a Ferengi was running around her and ‘shooting’ her with a party popper during she was uploading a virus to the FED base. ROFL

Yes as a pretty girl you can have some fun here. :D

Welan
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    I created my first female toon last December; now I have 5 females out of 17 toons. STO was my first MMO and when I first started playing I was thinking "Well I'm a guy so I'll play male characters", that was the mind set I was in at the time. As the years have gone by I've learnt that there's absolutely nothing wrong with role-playing female characters as a male in RL, though I have't played with them often but they are fun to play with when I do.

And yes I do think that other players around you treat you differently when they see you are playing a female character and I simply believe it's down to human instinct, which in game is generally harmless.

/My characters

My next toon; I plan to create a female Ferasan KDF side.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Who really care if you are male or female? It's not like is actually matters for anything.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Who really care if you are male or female? It's not like is actually matters for anything.

Procreation would like to have word with you. :p
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Maybe just tell everyone your Gorn is female? Not mammals after all, so who could tell by body shape? Though now I'm picturing Ambassidor S'tass in heavy makeup.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    ReginaMala wrote: »
    Maybe just tell everyone your Gorn is female? Not mammals after all, so who could tell by body shape? Though now I'm picturing Ambassidor S'tass in heavy makeup.

I consider all the extra large Gorn to be female, I simply assume the females in their species are larger than the males, it would make sense right? So my Gorn's male because he's half the height of the largest Gorn.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    One of the best threads in a long time. IDIC.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Women of substance don't rely on sexual wiles in the modern era, it does a disservice to our entire gender. If a real female soldier acted the way the OP describes she would be booted out on her scantily clad behind pretty quick..

A woman that wants to be treated with respect achieves things the same way men do, through hard work and determination..
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    This thread gave me a good laugh, too bad it wasn't posted a few days ago.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Ashur1 wrote:
    Procreation would like to have word with you. :p

You want to procreate with a cartoon? Good luck with that ^_^
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Women of substance don't rely on sexual wiles in the modern era, it does a disservice to our entire gender. If a real female soldier acted the way the OP describes she would be booted out on her scantily clad behind pretty quick..

A woman that wants to be treated with respect achieves things the same way men do, through hard work and determination..

As pure as the principle behind that is, and I don't disagree with the principle, I think it belies a certain naivete. If you look at the way society interacts with women who achieve great things, you'll notice that the aesthetic dimension is never closed. If you watch a female executive or scientist or politician get introduced at a banquet or what-have-you, very often they are prefaced with some accolade like 'the beautiful' or 'the lovely'. This is obviously a dimension that is considered mostly in women, since men are rarely introduced as 'the handsome' unless their career puts them in front of camera every day.

Fair or not, society still evaluates women in an aesthetic dimension even if their actual work is in a boardroom or a laboratory. This is not that surprising, since all the legal and social equality in the world will do nothing to change the visceral neurophysiology of men's focus on women's appearance, not is it likely to soon overturn or efface the competitive vanity of women in the social groups with which they interact.

You may well argue that these are vestiges of an obsolete paradigm, but that won't make them go away. The best approach to this, as with most things, is informed moderation. Women should be thinking, as objectively as possible, about the ways in which and degrees to which their appearance impacts their interactions, and to what degree it is important to them, if at all, personally and why. Right and wrong here is as simple as the net benefit and detriment to each person's identity and goals. People need to worry less about what society wants them to look like, and more about what they want to look like, so that they can be personally satisfied and fulfilled. Such a thing cuts both ways, of course, and people should be informed and prepared to deal with the benefits and detriments that come from the direction and degree chosen.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    I think the OP was looking for this thread.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    The first thing you see when you wake up from a punishing Borg bolt, is a beautiful Orion girls face, are you seriously telling me you would rather have a man standing over you?

Time spent looming lecherously over fallen warriors is time spent out of the kitchen!!!:mad:
  • Options
    edited April 2012

hahaha you make me laugh, every city I travel in there is a gentlemen's show club featuring scantly clad female s gyrating and swigging around for a few bucks. And what about Lara Croft and Aeon Flux who characters generate sexiness at high levels. My toons in STO mimic there precious fierce heroine combat style. And if Lara croft or Aeon Flux were in the game id ask for a autograph. P.S. there was a spread in playboy called females of the military, I bought the issue.;)
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    drikkehorn wrote:
    As pure as the principle behind that is, and I don't disagree with the principle, I think it belies a certain naivete.

Cute.. but a bit of an over-analysis of my statement.

Of course aesthetic judgment exists, I never said it didn't.. my point was that women of substance don't pursue their ambitions using such base methods. A majority of women in positions of power didn't get there because of how their bum looked in a skirt.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    hahaha you make me laugh, every city I travel in there is a gentlemen's show club featuring scantly clad female s gyrating and swigging around for a few bucks. And what about Lara Croft and Aeon Flux who characters generate sexiness at high levels. My toons in STO mimic there precious fierce heroine combat style. And if Lara croft or Aeon Flux were in the game id ask for a autograph. P.S. there was a spread in playboy called females of the military, I bought the issue.;)

Awww sweetie, I feel sad for you... I do..

What those women in those "gentlemen's clubs" have isn't worth anything, it's a fleeting moment of attention. It doesn't contribute to society, it doesn't make the world a better place. Nobody will even remember their names... they are just sexual objects to the men that patronize them.

Is that all you want to be? Something that makes a few wrists sore?

Lara Croft and Aeon Flux have redeeming qualities outside of physical attractiveness... but they're also fictional..
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    I think girls are the superior half our species, easily mistaken by me for divine beings. I see one and instantly drop what I'm doing to please her. But I'm also monotheist, so I tend to only really respect one at a time while shallowly admiring the beauty of the others. :confused:

In-game, I only care about female NPCs. If they're players, I just assume they're guys and ignore them. Unless they have a pretty outfit. Sometimes I spot one I have to run up to and screenshot. :p
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Cute.. but a bit of an over-analysis of my statement.

Of course aesthetic judgment exists, I never said it didn't.. my point was that women of substance don't pursue their ambitions using such base methods. A majority of women in positions of power didn't get there because of how their bum looked in a skirt.

You say women of substance don't pursue their ambitions using base methods. wow, how do you know? I talked to several dancers at a nite club and they told me there were doing it to pay there college tuition. Women have always use there advantages(bodies) to propel there business ambitions. What about super models? There are billion dollar business promoting the female physique. Are you telling me the female on the cover of "Sports Illustrated" isn't in a position of power? P.S. if this were boxing .... you just got knocked out!!!:cool:

This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies. ~Alecto
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    So .... to put this in perspective ... are you a Man or Woman in RL?
This discussion has been closed.