test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Experiencing Sound/ Audio Bugs or Issues? Post about them in here!

Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
There is the most awful noise playing on Deep Space Nine. The only ways to get away from it are to either turn your sound off, beam out, go to the exchange area, or go to the shipyard. This has been going on since your patch 2 days ago and the frequency of the sound has actually induced nausea and vertigo in me. I don't know if its affected anyone else in this way but I have been told other people have been hearing it. It should have been fixed the moment it was discovered as it is a potential health hazard for some people because it is a well known fact that certain frequencies of sound can induce my symptoms and even seizures in some people. Please fix this quickly! Thank you.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    yes i have this same problem turning off game sound doesnt work either i have to take my headset off before beaming down. to help with any potential diagnostics i use a g930 logitech headset with 7.1 surround in surround mode it also produces the noise in stereo.
    edited February 2012
    Bumped so the devs will find it easily.
    edited February 2012
    Bumping is generally not allowed . What you should do is simply file a Bug report. That way it will be seen by the QA team and prioritized based on standard parameters:

Affects Everyone
    Affects one Faction or the other
    Affects an individual
    Player stupidity
    edited February 2012
    Went to DS9 tonight to get some new gear. Beaming down to DS9 starts playing this super loud grinding noise.

I turned off ALL sounds in game, it's still there. The minute I beam off DS9, no problems.

Using a Razer Megaldon headset, works fine in Ventrilo, Skype, every other game I play.

Help?
    edited February 2012
    I have a Logitech G930 Headset and i have the same thing happen to me
    edited February 2012
    i just don't like lita her voice really creeps me out.
    edited February 2012
    Having the same problem here on a Logitech G35 headset. The grinding/buzzing sound only plays on the promenade. It doesn't happen in Ops or in the areas off the promenade, like the bank/exchange or the shipyard. Adjusting all of the seperate volume sliders had no effect on the sound, and I have not heard it in any other area of the game.

EDIT: I can also confirm that the sound only seems to happen on my aforementioned USB headphones, and not when I'm playing on speakers run off my onboard sound card.
    edited February 2012
    I am having a similar problem. I am using a logitech G930 headset
    edited February 2012
    Same problem here. Logitech G35. Crackling like hell on DS9, the moment I bean out all is well.
    edited February 2012
    I have the exact same issue, sounds like the re-verb is way to high in the stations ambient. I would equate this sound to having your head in a Tesla coil, this has been going on for quite a long time now and needs to be fixed. Just to see how badly this was effecting my speakers I popped one the grills off and the speaker is vibrating like mad! This has the potential of damaging my equipment. Cryptic needs to address/fix this issue. This sound problem only seems to be present in the outer ring area / promenade of DS9.

I am using creative 7.1 surround speakers
    Realtek Alc888 sound board with driver version 6.0.1.6526
    edited February 2012
    Its been 9 days since the issue started and still no response to my ticket and no fix at all. Does this Japanese company even care? Perhaps if someone has a seizure or is made very ill as a result and they are sued they will respond. I already had another bout of vertigo today thanks to the sound (as I am one of those people sensitive to these things) and my patience is rapidly wearing thin.

Edit: *Chinese company. That explains a lot. *insert witty comment about chinese food here*
    edited February 2012
    i am sure the japanese company does not care. mainly because its a chinese company.

if you are so severely affected, so why do you keep playing? seriously, a game shall serve as entertainment, if you dont enjoy it, dont play it, and if it makes you sick, stay the hell away from it. there are people who cant ride rollercoasters, you dont see them running around and suing every single rollercoaster business for compensation, neither do people sue car makers because they get motion sickness.

i have been a regular visitor to DS9 and all i noticed is some slight humming sounds disrupting the normal sound effect now and then, not sure if related to traversing different areas with different background sound, or just some minor sound bug. definitely no serious sound issues here.
    edited February 2012
    yes anoying big time after last 2 patches I did a ticket
    edited February 2012
    if you have not got 7.1 sound system then it will not effect you..

and yes I do have the same issue with the sound , however I don't suffer this that badly as you make out I simply turn off the sound while I'm in there by pressing the mute button on my keyboard this stops the sound and I don't have to stop playing however it would be nice to have the sound...

and yes I have put in a ticket as a matter of fact I have put a couple of tickets in..

but if this is the only thing that is bothering me than I guess thats pretty good..
    edited February 2012
    defendra wrote:
    I have the exact same issue, sounds like the re-verb is way to high in the stations ambient. I would equate this sound to having your head in a Tesla coil, this has been going on for quite a long time now and needs to be fixed. Just to see how badly this was effecting my speakers I popped one the grills off and the speaker is vibrating like mad! This has the potential of damaging my equipment. Cryptic needs to address/fix this issue. This sound problem only seems to be present in the outer ring area / promenade of DS9.

I am using creative 7.1 surround speakers
    Realtek Alc888 sound board with driver version 6.0.1.6526

Same speaker setup.And terrible noise.Really made my feature episode mission not enjoyable.
    edited February 2012
    I have a RAZER Megalodon headset. I'll try switching it to 2.0 mode while I'm on DS9 and see if that helps. Thanks for the tip. Still, it needs to be fixed.
    edited February 2012
    I'm glad it isn't just me. I thought for minute my headphones were going bad.
    edited February 2012
    Only seems to happen on PC-centric surround setups - i.e. computer speakers, gaming headsets. Have my PC hooked up via optical to a Dolby Digital 7.1 receiver and the audio glitches don't exist. STOs audio code leaves a lot to be desired.
    edited February 2012
    I am using a Sony DR-GA500 Headset and same sound issue on DS9. :(
    edited February 2012
    Its so annoying... please fix it...
    edited February 2012
    There is already a thread started on this issue under PC and Tech Issues that a dev has responded to.
    edited February 2012
    There is the most awful noise playing on Deep Space Nine. The only ways to get away from it are to either turn your sound off, beam out, go to the exchange area, or go to the shipyard. This has been going on since your patch 2 days ago and the frequency of the sound has actually induced nausea and vertigo in me. I don't know if its affected anyone else in this way but I have been told other people have been hearing it. It should have been fixed the moment it was discovered as it is a potential health hazard for some people because it is a well known fact that certain frequencies of sound can induce my symptoms and even seizures in some people. Please fix this quickly! Thank you.

Actually this has been going on since F2P launched. They just have not fixed it. if you can take the grill off your speakers take a look at what this is doing to the cones. Would not be surprised if it done blow out some people speaker systems.
    edited February 2012
    link to the post in tech support area. Comment there instead please. (thanks for pointing it out so I could find it)

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=251687
    edited February 2012
    The noise is located on the promenade and I'm thrilled I'm not the only one hearing it. It sounds like some sort of vibrating or buzzing and if you are using headsets it is painful to hear.
    edited February 2012
    Me and another member of my Fleet have the Logitech G930 head set and are also have that issue upon
    entering DS9 Promenade , the loud grinding/buzzing noise shows up .

when I use external speakers the sound @ DS9 is fine ..

From Reading other posts its not A Single type of U S B headset

Logitech,Razer Megaldon, Sony DR-GA500 .

So obviously
    There is a sound issue happen at DS9 and Not just in a Single Instances every Instance you go to .

And yes A bug report was put in...

Anybody Else .?
    edited February 2012
    Same here with 7.1 sound enabled. It comes from the side left speaker. If I switch to 5.1, the noise is gone.
    edited February 2012
    I have the same issue using a 4 speaker set up on Win 7 64 bit, Asus Xonar DX card with updated drivers. If I switch the set up to 2 speakers the buzzing goes away, but when using 4 speakers I get the buzzing.

Changing other settings ( sample rate, number of channels, 7.1 / 5.1 emulation, Dolby etc ) had no effect on removing the buzz.
    edited February 2012
    Hi Captains!

The audio team has informed me that they have isolated and fixed the problem you are experiencing -- the fix should make its way in-game in a future patch. In the meantime, as a workaround, you can fix the issue by switching your headsets or monitoring systems from a 7.1 surround setting, to a 5.1 or stereo setting.

Finally, it would be helpful to the audio team to let them know if this problem is occurring anywhere else in-game. If you do happen to encounter this problem, please respond to this thread with the name of the location you are at, including the map name if possible.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
    edited February 2012
    Currently, sounds are volume-levelled as if they are being heard by the disembodied third person camera, not not the ship or player character. This weakens immersion and can occasionally be rather annoying.

Examples:
    • You are standing three meters away from a noisy machine or console. Your camera is zoomed out three meters from your character. Without moving your character, you spin the camera around. When the camera is positioned close to the machine, the sound is at its loudest. When the camera is positioned six meters away from the machine, the sound is at its quietest. The player character's ears haven't moved, but the "ears" of the game have.
    • A torpedo hits another ship's shields, ten kilometres from your ship. Your camera happens to be positioned next to that ship. The sound of the explosion is deafening (especially if you are using headphones or bassy speakers with the volume up). Then a torpedo hits your own ship's shields. It isn't anywhere near as loud.

Hearing centred on the player's avatar, completely ignoring the current position of the camera, makes more sense and would be much more immersive.

Even if it is not changed globally for everyone, an option in the audio options menu for those that want it would be nice. A similar option was added in a patch for one of the Tomb Raider games and with the sound centred at the character instead of the camera the game felt so much more impressive and polished. It is like actually being the character, instead of being an invisible spectre stalking them.

I made a thread on this about a year ago, but it didn't get beyond a single page and didn't get any Dev response. The few people who commented seemed to support it though.
    edited February 2012
    Phoenix316 wrote: »
    Currently, sounds are volume-levelled as if they are being heard by the disembodied third person camera, not not the ship or player character. This weakens immersion and can occasionally be rather annoying.

Examples:
    • You are standing three meters away from a noisy machine or console. Your camera is zoomed out three meters from your character. Without moving your character, you spin the camera around. When the camera is positioned close to the machine, the sound is at its loudest. When the camera is positioned six meters away from the machine, the sound is at its quietest. The player character's ears haven't moved, but the "ears" of the game have.
    • A torpedo hits another ship's shields, ten kilometres from your ship. Your camera happens to be positioned next to that ship. The sound of the explosion is deafening (especially if you are using headphones or bassy speakers with the volume up). Then a torpedo hits your own ship's shields. It isn't anywhere near as loud.

Hearing centred on the player's avatar, completely ignoring the current position of the camera, makes more sense and would be much more immersive.

Even if it is not changed globally for everyone, an option in the audio options menu for those that want it would be nice. A similar option was added in a patch for one of the Tomb Raider games and with the sound centred at the character instead of the camera the game felt so much more impressive and... just right. It is like actually being the character, instead of being an invisible spectre stalking them.

I made a thread on this about a year ago, but it didn't get beyond a single page and didn't get any Dev response. Let's hope this one does better.

ship combat sounda atleast diminish the farther out you zoom the camera/viewing distance
This discussion has been closed.