test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The Dragon Flagship Build

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
edited January 2014 in Federation Discussion
Hello fellow captains, I have played STO for its full two years since release and am please to bring you a build that I think anyone who wants to be a flat out BEAST in both damage and tankability will enjoy!

Type of Ship: Dreadnought Cruiser, Odyssey Star Cruiser, Assault Cruiser

Character Class: Tactical Captain

The Dragon Dreadnought

Link to Skill Planner Profile: http://www.stoacademy.com/tools/skillplanner/index.php?build=Dragon_0

Power Settings:
Weapons - 114 / 90
Shields - 80 / 55
Engines - 53 / 25
Auxiliary - 51 / 30

Weapon Loadout -

Fore (PvP): Dual Phaser Beam Bank Mk XII [ACC][CRTD][CRTH]
or: Tricobalt Torpedo Launcher Mk XII [ACC]x3
or: Quantum Torpedo Launcher MK XII [ACC]x3
Fore (PvP): Phaser Beam Array Mk XII [ACC][CRTD][CRTH]

Aft (PvP): Phaser Beam Array Mk XII [ACC][CRTD][CRTH]

Deflector: MACO Deflector XII
Engine: Aegis Engine Mk X
Shield: MACO Shield Mk XII

Tactical Console: Phaser Relay Mk XI

Science Console: Field Generator Mk XI
Science Console: Assimilated Module

Engineering Console: Antimatter Spread Module
Engineering Console: EPS Flow Regulator Mk XI
Engineering Console: Neutronium Armor Mk XI

Devices: Red Matter Capacitor, Subspace Field Modulator, Large Engine Battery, Large Aux Battery

Bridge Officer Layout:
LT Tac: Fire at Will 1, Attack Pattern Beta 1
Ens Tac: Tactical Team 1 ( If you went with the Tricobalt then you might want High Yield 1 instead, or Torpedo Spread 1 if you went with a Quantum)
LT CMD Eng: Emergency Power to Weapons 1, Engineering Team 2, Emergency Power to Shields 3
CMD Eng: Emergency Power to Weapons 1, Reverse Shield Polarity 1, Emergency Power to Shields 3, Aux to Structural Integrity Field 3
LT Sci: Hazard Emitters 1, Transfer Shield Strength 2

Build Use Summary: The Dragon Flagship Build is designed to be an anchor for the fleet action. The build is designed for it's Captain to be able to lead the charge straight into the heart of the battle and then act as an anchor for the entire match. Your able to tank incredible amounts of damage, while healing yourself or your allies. All the while, dishing out extensive amounts damage to either crush any opponent that dares challenge you, or help destroy your allies targets.

Tactics -

1) The secret to this build is its ability to keep your Weapons Power setting and your Shields Power setting at a permanent 125. You accomplish this through the use of four abilities, your EPTS and EPTW. Ill break it down on how you accomplish this task.

First activate EPTW 3, you'll notice that your other EPTW ability goes on a 30 second CD while your two EPTS go on a 15 second CD. When EPTS 3 comes off CD immediately activate it. Now you'll notice that as you hit EPTS 3 your EPTW 3 is still active for another 15 seconds, and your other EPTW 1 was 15 seconds way from being off CD. When you hit EPTS 3 it resets your EPTW 1 to a 15 second CD, but wait.... wasn't it already on a 15 second CD anyway. Thats correct! You managed to actually not place anything new on a CD that it wasn't already on. So you should now have EPTW 3 still active for another 15 seconds and your EPTS 3 which you just hit is active for 30 seconds, at the same time placing your other EPTS 2 on a 30 second CD and your other EPTW 1 on the same 15 second CD that it was already on.

Now when your EPTW 1 comes off CD immediately activate it, this will cause the same chain to happen again, sending your EPTW 3 onto a 30 second CD and your remaining EPTS 2 on a 15 second CD ( which EPTS 2 was already on). Now you'll have EPTS 3 and EPTW 1 active at the same time. Now to finish the chain; activate EPTS 2 immediately when it comes off its remaining 15 second CD. It will place your EPTS 3 on a 30 second CD and your EPTW 3 on a 15 second CD. Once EPTW 3 comes off CD, immediately activate it. This starts your cycle all over again, and you can now infinitely loop through these four abilities to create a chain that grants you 125 power to both shields and weapons.

Note - You can start the chain with EPTS 3 instead of EPTW 3 if you feel you want to enter the chain on a more defensive approach instead of offensive approach, the only difference will be that you activate the chain with EPTS 3 --> EPTW 3 ---> EPTS 2 ---> EPTW 1.

2) The reason why you take Transfer Shield Strength 2 instead of the Hazard Emitters being your higher ranking LT Science Spot, is because TSS2 gives you a 14% shield strength resistance vs TSS1 only giving you 6%. Meanwhile HE2 gives you 9600 hull repair and a plus 18 resistance buff vs HE1 gives you 6400 hull repair and a plus 14 resistance buff. So its better to get the extra 8% shield resistance from the TSS2 instead of the plus 3200 life and 4 resistance from the HE2.

List of Abilities that can't be changed: EPTS x 2, EPTW x 2

The Dragon Odyssey

Note - I use the same bridge layout for the Odyssey. The only difference between the Dreadknought and the Odyssey is that the Odyssey will dish out slightly less damage but will have slightly better defenses.

Link to Skill Planner Profile: http://www.stoacademy.com/tools/skillplanner/index.php?build=Odyssey_0

Power Settings:
Weapons - 114 / 95
Shields - 81 / 50
Engines - 47 / 25
Auxiliary - 55 / 30

Weapon Loadout -

Fore (PvP): Dual Antiproton Beam Bank Mk XI [ACC][CRTD][CRTH]
or: Tricobalt Torpedo Launcher Mk XI [ACC]x3
Fore (PvP): Antiproton Beam Array Mk XII [ACC][CRTD][CRTH]

Aft (PvP): Antiproton Beam Array Mk XII [ACC][CRTD][CRTH]

Tactical Console: Antiproton Mag Regulator Mk XI

Science Console: Antimatter Spread Console

Devices: Red Matter Capacitor,Subspace Field Modulator, Large Engine Battery, Large Aux Battery

Bridge Officer Layout:
LT Tac: Tactical Team 1 ( If you went with the Tricobalt then you might want High Yield 1 instead, or Torpedo Spread 1 if you went with a Quantum), Fire at Will 2
LT CMD Eng: Emergency Power to Weapons 1, Engineering Team 2, Emergency Power to Shields 3
CMD Eng: Emergency Power to Weapons 1, Reverse Shield Polarity 1, Emergency Power to Shields 3, Aux to Structural Integrity Field 3
Ens Sci: Polarize Hull 1

Build Use Summary: See Dreadknought Summary

Tactics - See Dreadknought Tactics.

1) The Polarize Hull allows you to swap between hazard emitters and polarize hull, meanwhile using Aux to SIF 3 to allow you to reach the optimal resistance cap.

2) The reason behind using three EPS flow regulators and only one armor, is because you only need one armor along with the Polarize Hull / Aux to SIF 3 to allow yourself the optimal resistance. So that allows you to use three EPS Flow regulators that way using the EPTW and EPTS mechanic, you'll be able to keep your weapon power above 100 at all times. This helps cushion the loss of the tactical console and keep a consistently high sustained dps, to help closer match the output of the Dreadnought Build.

The Dragon Assault

Link to Skill Planner Profile: The Dragon Assault Cruiser

Power Settings:
Weapons - 114 / 90
Shields - 80 / 55
Engines - 53 / 25
Auxiliary - 51 / 30

Weapon Loadout -

Fore (PvP): Dual Antiproton Beam Bank Mk XII [ACC][CRTD][CRTH]

Engineering Console: EPS Flow Regulator

Devices: Red Matter Capacitor, Subspace Field Modulator, Large Engine Battery, Large Aux Battery

Bridge Officer Layout:
LT Tac: Fire at Will 1, Attack Pattern Beta 1
Ens Tac: Tactical Team 1 ( If you went with the Tricobalt then you might want High Yield 1 instead, or Torpedo Spread 1 if you went with a Quantum)

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    And for all the Engineer Captains out their who want to do the same style build, here is a version that works for you.

Character Class: Engineer Captain

Type of Ship: Advanced Heavy Cruiser Retrofit

The Dragon Excelsior

Link to Skill Planner Profile: http://www.stoacademy.com/tools/skillplanner/index.php?build=Excelsior_0

Power Settings:
    Weapons - 114 / 90
    Shields - 80 / 55
    Engines - 53 / 25
    Auxiliary - 51 / 30

Weapon Loadout -

Fore (PvP): Dual Antiproton Beam Bank Mk XII [ACC][CRTD][CRTH]

Bridge Officer Layout:
    LT CMD Tac: Tactical Team 1 ( If you went with the Tricobalt then you might want High Yield 1 instead, or Torpedo Spread 1 if you went with a Quantum), Attack Pattern Beta 1, Fire at Will 3
    Lt Eng: Emergency Power to Weapons 1, Emergency Power to Shields 2
    Ens Eng: Engineering Team 1

Happy Hunting Captains!

If you have any questions or wish to thank me personally, always feel free to contact me in game. My name is Dragon@Ragnorok21
    edited February 2012
    instead of aegis engines... go borg.

gives you the hull regen.....

and btw: nothing new here.

why are you trying to sell a standard beam boat as some sort of new build?
    edited February 2012
    aegis is better because of the plus 5% to defenses it gives you..... and the weapon layout is a standard build, but its the way the build works that allows it to be so deadly. it has nothing to do with just the idea of 7 beam broadside. and it isn't a new build, ive been using it for a year....ive just finally decided to post it.. The ability to have weapon power and shield power to 125 permanently is what makes it so strong.
    edited February 2012
    I have tested the The Dragon Dreadknought build and this more then works. I mean really. The build I was working can't even touch the dmg out on this build as well as the tanking. Anyone who thinks this don't work just try it and you will change your mind.
    edited February 2012
    1) Where are you getting the uniform MKXII guns at, is that a typo or is there somewhere I can buy them?

2) Isn't running such a high weapons power while rotating an EPTW kind of a waste?
    edited February 2012
    1)The uniform MKII weapon layout is the optimal build layout, which you are able to get off the exchange for about 70 mill EC a piece or through random drops in elite stfs.

2) You are correct about how running such a high ranking EPTW would seem pointless since there is an energy level cap at 135 but that isn't the reason for the boost of weapon power. The reason is because when you broadside for 7 beam arrays, it creates a huge drain on your weapon power level, the actual drain is around -60 which would put your weapons at around 65 to 70ish range. That's a huge drop in damage out put! The EPTW 3 is used to help cushion that drain, by using EPTW 3 you raise your weapon level the cap of 135 but all the extra energy isn't wasted, its put in an reserve box, so that when your weapon levels drop back below the 135 cap the reserve power is added back in. And when your drain is -60 dropping you to the 65-70ish range of power, that extra power from the EPTW 3 helps keep you around 90 - 105ish weapon level energy. This way, your damage out put isn't diminished by the drain of 7 beam arrays firing at once.
    edited February 2012
    Update on the guide....after further testing and tweakng today....i realized that what i mentioned about that invisble extra reserve power off of EPTW 3 isn't actually noticeable, so if you run two copies of EPTW1 instead of one EPTW1 and one EPTW3, then you can move your engineer team 1 up to engineer team 3, allowing for 4000 more heal on the engineer team, without any loss what so ever anywhere else in the build design.
    edited February 2012
    Ragnorok21 wrote:
    SNIP>>>

Pretty much what I have run... Swap out a couple things according if I am PVE or PVP set. otherwise lately the identical thing.
    edited February 2012
    Ragnorok21 wrote:
    Update on the guide....after further testing and tweakng today....i realized that what i mentioned about that invisble extra reserve power off of EPTW 3 isn't actually noticeable, so if you run two copies of EPTW1 instead of one EPTW1 and one EPTW3, then you can move your engineer team 1 up to engineer team 3, allowing for 4000 more heal on the engineer team, without any loss what so ever anywhere else in the build design.

yeah no hidden reserves anymore. that got cut a while back. 125 is the hard cap on all powers.
    edited February 2012
    Are you sure its 125? Because in my testing it seemed like it was more 135 as the power level max.

Sample testing example: normal levels 114/90 ----> using EPTW1 cause it to raise to the 135 unseeable cap, creating my lowest drain to be 85.
    normal levels 104/80
    > using EPTW1 cause it to raise to the 125 seeable cap, creates my lowest drain at 75.

So it seems like from testing that the 135 cap is still there.
    edited February 2012
    Oh heavans, not the 125 "hrad cap" vs 135 "soft cap" debate again.

In any event, the latest on this here
    edited February 2012
    I'm not touching this debate with a ten foot pole.

Still, Dragon's design is sound. It shares many ties to common beam boat builds, but has a core mechanic that many of them lack.
    edited February 2012
    i would suggest lowering what your weapon energy is set to and only using 2x EPtW 1, there is no benefit from energy elevated past ~135. i tried 2x EPtW3 and 2xEPtW 1 back to back, with my energy level at about 136 when using EPtW1. there was no difference when i tried EPtW3, it drained to the same levels.

if there was a real past 125 energy pool, i would be running 2 EPtW 3 all day long
    edited February 2012
    Hakaishin wrote:
    Still, Dragon's design is sound. It shares many ties to common beam boat builds, but has a core mechanic that many of them lack.
    For those of us just getting into build/theorycrafting - what is that mechanic?

EDIT: I see. Thanks for the explanation.
    edited February 2012
    @don'tdrunkimshoot

I noticed that has I was doing number crunching, and i agree with you. Anyone one following my build, I highly suggest following what don'tdrunk has suggested.

@HF_Mudd

The mechanic is the ability to chain between two copies of EPTW1 and two copies of EPTS3. This allows you to always maintain 125 to both weapons and shields.
    edited February 2012
    These are some amazing builds but dear lord, how long would it take to get all the Mark XII components.
    edited February 2012
    Andrys wrote: »
    These are some amazing builds but dear lord, how long would it take to get all the Mark XII components.

Depends.

In 12th, it is common for us to complete elite STFs in about 6 minutes (liesurely... could probably be faster if I could stop dozing off).

One of the reasons PvE bores me to pathetic tears.

So for us... not long.
    edited February 2012
    One reason you may be seeing the large DPS increase from EPtW is the 5 second energy damage bonus it gives combined with fire at will. I think, but i'm not positive, that the entire duration of FaW gains the damage bonus which is considerable at higher ranks.
    edited February 2012
    can you update the The Dragon Odyssey please? the bridge layout is incorrect. there is 1 ensign sci, 1 lt sci, 1 commander eng, 1 lt tac, and 1 unvi lt comd slot.
    edited February 2012
    Donnick wrote:
    can you update the The Dragon Odyssey please? the bridge layout is incorrect. there is 1 ensign sci, 1 lt sci, 1 commander eng, 1 lt tac, and 1 unvi lt comd slot.

He updated it on our 12th Fleet forums, I'll make sure he gets the message to update it here.
    edited February 2012
    I have updated all the builds so that they are now the same has the 12th Fleet forums, builds. Sorry for the delays.

Enjoy!
    edited February 2012
    If you don't care about torp skills, is using the Hargh'peng okay?

Also I have fitted my excel refit with a ghetto version of this and it tanks amazingly already. Can't wait to see what it's like when I have it all purpled out.
    edited February 2012
    A Hargh'peng torpedoe works fine, i personally choose the Tricobalt because your in a big slow cruiser, and tricos have the 1 minute CD, harpengs cd is much faster which kinda forces you to turn to be in that frontal arc, but since the trico is on such a long cd it allows me to have the luxury of firing it off, when every i feel like it. Since all your damage is gonna come from the broadside 7 beams set up....I highly recommend the tricobalt, but the Hargh'peng works perfectly fine.
    edited February 2012
    To the Dreadnought community and to anyone who wants to continue to ask questions concerning my builds, and want help building a flagship of their own.... I am still here. Feel free to continue asking questions, and concerning the recent events revolving around Hakaishin and his amazing dreadnought guide; the flammers who feel the need to voice hatred across a peaceful forums page (with the purpose of educating the general STO community), I feel great shame for you guys. Instead of upholding some form of dignity and honor for yourselves and your fellow forum members, you instead feel the need to harass and create drama within the forums. Its a game guys, its meant to be for fun. So just relax and enjoy the game, see you all out there, in the verse.
    edited February 2012
    He probably went too far with that video, but it was just time for a joke! We've all to remember that we are only playing a game and teasing is normal, but I've seen an excessive and very bad reaction by some of the PvP community...:(
    edited February 2012
    I hardly think that Hakiaishin exceeded the boundaries of good taste, unlike his detractors.

Quite a shame.
    edited February 2012
    Hey Rag, can you trade the threat generation for lets say more projectile weapon damage in level 2 (maybe not level 5) Just running the numbers but you could have more padding for a torpedo TRIBBLE run after a full broadside if you put 5 in torpedo damage and level threat down to 3. I just dont see how the passive DRB actually helps or maybe you could enlighten me?

I just personally like torpedoing the TRIBBLE outta my opponent, do you also know of any alternative torpedo builts that would be good. Im currently a rear engineer (40)
    edited February 2012
    This isn't far off of what I do with my Excelsior now, the core of it being back-to-backing emergency to shields/weapons and spending the spare elsewhere. Only kicker I've found with that's when you get subnuked, but I hold RSP1 in reserve for precisely that eventuality. I also have science team with hazards instead of TSS as that'll clear the subnuc and allow me to get back to the back-to-backing faster. I also use BO3 instead of FAW3, it hits rather hard.
    edited February 2012
    Ragnorok21 wrote:
    Feel free to continue asking questions

Ever think about picking up an extend shields and helping your teammates a bit more?

P.S. Ditch subsystem repair in your spec. It is generally agreed upon that this does absolutely nothing.
    edited February 2012
    Tthis build is awesome. I changed it a little for my play style obviously but still thanks so much for the starting point. Since I changed, my dps and healing have both gone up.