What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

DONE With STO Grab Bags FOREVER

1235»

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    From recent personal experience:
    I have 6 characters I've been running the races daily with. I have NEVER won, NOT EVEN ONCE, a Borg or photonic Bridge officer, or any of the Hortas or any other pets for that matter running the race. Just green quality, lower rank gear and holiday currency. (And why should I get lower rank gear in the first place? this happens if STFs too WHY ? ?)
    The only time I got those other mentioned prizes, is when I bought the grab bag with C points.
    So with this in mind:
    5. Do these special consolation prizes only get awarded when you spend real money or Cryptic points ?, because for ME, that has been the case.

+1 the race is definitely rigged to give out TRIBBLE. I'm sure there's 1 or 2 in 100,000 who got a Jem'Hadar ship or Photonic item from the race but most folks won't have that experience. It's almost not worth doing now that I have scarves for all of my toons.
    edited December 2011
    BlackV7 wrote:
    Its more in line of that this is the future direction of STO and nobody is going to change this. You are correct that they used a Holiday event and exploited it with this method, shameless indeed. However; money talks and BS walks.

Truth is, they need to make the grab bag a permanent item at the Cstore with any future starship releases being release by those means. Fans will now have a chance to have an exclusive item, and the immature ones can go on with statements like "neener, neener, I have it, you don't," LOL.

Also this will help promote individuality by means of exclusiveness - everyone now has a chance at an exclusive item. Imagine "player A" piloting the Enterprise F, while "player B" pilotting the Ambassador class Enterprise, see my point - its a win, win situation. Players get a neeter ship, and Cryptic reaps in the BIG BUCKS - and hopefully with all that revenue we can go on to the more important aspect of STO - Its Gameplay & more Content.

So Grab Bags should be the new means to acquire future vessels - its the logical economic thing to do.

It would eventually damage the game too much to keep it going. Yeah, the hardcore fans are willing to spend a lot of money to try and get a showy item, but how long will they keep falling for the same trick for? Less fanatic players will give up with it, and likely stop playing the game and when the player base drops, having exclusive items is much less worth while.

If the grab bags can help fund more important aspects of the game.. I agree, they should keep doing them, but in moderation. Bring them out for special events occasionally and give out rare ships. Not every ship should be distributed like this though, keep it to the odd ones. Jem'hadar bug, Ferengi marauder, etc. Maybe even mirror universe skins. But having every ship given out through a lottery would kill the game.
    edited December 2011
    BlackV7 wrote:
    Actually I hope they do put the Enterprise F in the Grab Bags, that way folks who are stout defenders of these easy money Tactics would be tempted to gain one through such means. Actually I hope they start putting their future ship releases using these means.

Its working, why not keep using the Grab Bag tactic for all future ship releases. Afterall; every single Star Trek Hardcore Fan will continue to buy the Grab Bags, they love Star Trek and no small fee will ever stop them.

I've now changed my stance on Grab Bags - I want all future ship releases to use these means :D

So future Grab Bag ships should be:

A) Enterprise F

B) Enterprise B

C) Enterprise C [Ambassador Class]

D) A Ferengi Marauder

F) Borg Tactical Cube

G) Borg Sphere

H) Jen Hedar Battleship

I) Cardassian Keldon Class

J) Romulan Warbird

K) Kazon Raider

L) Actually every single Federation Class Starship

What about Klingon ships? Theyre exempt??
    edited December 2011
    +1 the race is definitely rigged to give out TRIBBLE. I'm sure there's 1 or 2 in 100,000 who got a Jem'Hadar ship or Photonic item from the race but most folks won't have that experience. It's almost not worth doing now that I have scarves for all of my toons.

Hey, I have no problems with the race. I convert the items to latinum and then use it for my DOFFS.
    edited December 2011
    Capulet wrote: »
    Next grab bag premium prize will have ponies. :)

Now, with that, I might have to spend 100 bux!!!!!!:D
    edited December 2011
    I have to say that I'm embarrassed from buying $250 worth of C-Points and wasting $180 of that trying to get this ship.

I knew the chances going into it. But I thought I might as well "have fun" with this event and luckily I'd get myself a nice Christmas present. One of the most wasteful decisions I've ever made.

This was my first experience with "grab bags". It will be my last. Live and learn.

$250?! Mirror Master, you're a respected player. How could you? :(
    edited December 2011
    Asakara wrote:
    I purchased 10 boxes today. The 10th box had a Jem Hadar ship. I gave the ship to my friend.

:)

Good on ya! :o
    edited December 2011
    whamhammer wrote: »
    What about Klingon ships? Theyre exempt??

No, let it be done the same way the Feds have it, exclusive Gift Boxes per Faction - Special Red Gift Boxes for KDF, and special Blue Gift Boxes for Federation - all future ship releases by these means only. :D
    edited December 2011
    BlackV7 wrote:
    No, let it be done the same way the Feds have it, exclusive Gift Boxes per Faction - Special Red Gift Boxes for KDF, and special Blue Gift Boxes for Federation - all future ship releases by these means only. :D

/sarcasm Oh, I like this! The odds of receiving a Blue Box are almost reasonable. Your odds of getting the Blue Box are substantially increased by having a Red Box. Sorry KDF. Fed content wins again. /sarcasm

If they continue to release new ships (BOff layout, hp, turn rate, weapon layout are new) via C-Store lotteries, they can count me out of the game. This represents a drastic misunderstanding of the mechanics of their own game. A ship is literally your race and class, as well as your level. What game treats your class as a vanity item to be auctioned off?
    edited December 2011
    ... some people tried to run out and get gift boxes to get some prize. SOme people tried to scam their way to get the prize. These folks got burned by their own greed.

A holiday gift box is intended to go do one race a day and build up your prizes to get some small gift for christmas. Seems really easy to me.

How you were burned by a holiday scarf or some other present, no one can know.

Isn't it enough you received a nice present and a nice winter wonderland.

Thank you.
    edited December 2011
    Dunnlang wrote:
    A ship is literally your race and class, as well as your level. What game treats your class as a vanity item to be auctioned off?
    What other game forces you to change your race and class every ten levels?
    (Based on how they've handled that issue, I don't think this argument is going to get much traction.)