What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

DONE With STO Grab Bags FOREVER

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    I'm pretty convinced that, like the Prometheus, there will be multiple T5 versions of the Odyssey class with different consoles and BO loadlouts.

If you consider another thread we recently had about a picture of the F with saucer separation it was seemingly implied there may be several versions, ie a normal one and a saucer sep version.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Dirlettia wrote:
    If you consider another thread we recently had about a picture of the F with saucer separation it was seemingly implied there may be several versions, ie a normal one and a saucer sep version.

Maybe they give you the drive section for free, but you have to win the saucer in a lottery.:rolleyes:

Gillette figured that business method out a long time ago. Sell them the razors and then they will buy the razor blades.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Sakarak wrote:
    Maybe they give you the drive section for free, but you have to win the saucer in a lottery.:rolleyes:

Gillette figured that business method out a long time ago. Sell them the razors and then they will buy the razor blades.

I figured out how to win that one too. I have a beard now.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    ^ /facepalm

I guess you know someone at Cryptic and / or are loyal to our new Emperor at PWE. :rolleyes:

This is an MMO lottery...which is worse than a RL one.

You don't have to fit in either of those categories to like a grab bag, you mostly need to know how much you are willing to spend for a chance to get something that you may or may not want.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You mostly just have to have extremely poor judgment and like to waste money to like grab bags.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    This is an MMO lottery...which is worse than a RL one.

But lotteries aren't inherently bad.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Nagorak wrote: »
    You mostly just have to have extremely poor judgment and like to waste money to like grab bags.

I disagree. I am sure there are several people who were hapy when they recieved a deeply discounted skill boosts, Gekli, combat Horta's etc... I only spent my stipend on the packs, and I was fine with what I got. I had no delusions to my chances of getting the Jem'Hadar ship.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Jexsam wrote: »
    But lotteries aren't inherently bad.

Also I'm pretty sure you can lose at a lottery. You can't "lose" with the gift boxes. Not getting the item you want isn't the same as losing something.

You'll get something. Just... not maybe that shiny bug you wanted.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Correct, a lottery you either win big, or very little, but mostly not at all.

In this you win pretty good, but rarely win that 1 big item you want. In this case the Jem'Hadar ship.

It took me nearly 30,000 cp to get mine. No regrets. Also, on the bright side, I'm making a FORTUNE on the exchange.

Named mine, the USS Dominion. loooooooooooooooooove.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    RockMax wrote: »

In this you win pretty good, but rarely win that 1 big item you want. In this case the Jem'Hadar ship.

It took me nearly 30,000 cp to get mine. No regrets. Also, on the bright side, I'm making a FORTUNE on the exchange.

I just hope your'e still satisfied after the "bug" goes on sale in the C-Store for 1,200 points...
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    RockMax wrote: »

Maybe that is how the State lottery works. In general though, a lottery just means a method of distributing something by chance.

Just because you have a lottery where you get a consolation prize (a blue box) instead of absolutely nothing does not mean that it is not a lottery.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    whamhammer wrote: »
    I just hope your'e still satisfied after the "bug" goes on sale in the C-Store for 1,200 points...

+2 points. :) It will happen as it has happened before.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    It's poorly thought out posts like this that drive Cryptic's behavior to adopt this sort of thing as SOP. :(
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Played for the first time in a few weeks today and decided to pick up a few of these 'grab bags' in the c-store to see how it went. I bought 5 of them and got a 1hr skill bonus in the first one... Followed by 4 blue present boxes.

Last time I buy one of those, methinks. :p
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Anyone who didn't realize from the start that this was a lottery wasn't paying attention.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I have to say that I'm embarrassed from buying $250 worth of C-Points and wasting $180 of that trying to get this ship.

I knew the chances going into it. But I thought I might as well "have fun" with this event and luckily I'd get myself a nice Christmas present. One of the most wasteful decisions I've ever made.

This was my first experience with "grab bags". It will be my last. Live and learn.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    WTF? I told you multiple times not to do this! You saw that 1% thread, you saw that one where the guy spent $750 on it.

Again 750 US Dollars. You can buy multiple TVs for that money. Hell you can buy yourself a RL model of a Jem'Hadar bug for that.

Don't keep letting them make a fool out of you.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    what am i going to do with stupid Bajoran beads? A bobell and a weapon that is lesser then my rank... Thanks cryptic.. thats the last time i pay you
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I purchased 10 boxes today. The 10th box had a Jem Hadar ship. I gave the ship to my friend.

:)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    krisslanza wrote: »
    Also I'm pretty sure you can lose at a lottery. You can't "lose" with the gift boxes. Not getting the item you want isn't the same as losing something.

You'll get something. Just... not maybe that shiny bug you wanted.

Which is just a (not so) clever way of avoiding calling them lotteries. Even 1 cent wouldn't be "losing" then. Everyone's a winner!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Boy oh boy, First

definition of GRAB BAG
    : a receptacle (as a bag) containing small articles which are to be drawn (as at a party or fair) without being seen

And also, what's the first bloody line of the Box in the c-store...

The best thing about presents is that you never know what you're going to get, but it's usually something good!

For the life of me, it amazes me that so many of ya'll are complaining, when there is NOTHING to complain about. It's like a NBA team complaining about the Draft Lottery when the teams that participate in that know the terms going in. Cryptic told you the terms. Some people got the big prize, if you didn't, oh well, not the end of the world... well. at least not my world :D:p
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I wouldn't worry about the Enterprise-F being released thru grab bags. These forum's would burn brighter than a Supernova if they decided to do that.

Actually I hope they do put the Enterprise F in the Grab Bags, that way folks who are stout defenders of these easy money Tactics would be tempted to gain one through such means. Actually I hope they start putting their future ship releases using these means.

Its working, why not keep using the Grab Bag tactic for all future ship releases. Afterall; every single Star Trek Hardcore Fan will continue to buy the Grab Bags, they love Star Trek and no small fee will ever stop them.

I've now changed my stance on Grab Bags - I want all future ship releases to use these means :D

So future Grab Bag ships should be:

A) Enterprise F

B) Enterprise B

C) Enterprise C [Ambassador Class]

D) A Ferengi Marauder

F) Borg Tactical Cube

G) Borg Sphere

H) Jen Hedar Battleship

I) Cardassian Keldon Class

J) Romulan Warbird

K) Kazon Raider

L) Actually every single Federation Class Starship
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    BlackV7 wrote:
    Actually I hope they do put the Enterprise F in the Grab Bags, that way folks who are stout defenders of these easy money Tactics would be tempted to gain one through such means. Actually I hope they start putting their future ship releases using this means. I want folks to get tired of this tactic and actually start bringing attention to this issue.

Its working, why not keep using the Grab Bag tactic for all future ship releases. Afterall; every single Star Trek Hardcore Fan will continue to buy the Grab Bags, they love Star Trek and no small fee will ever stop them.

I've now changed my stance on Grab Bags - I want all future ship releases through this means :D

So future Grab Bag ships should be:

A) Enterprise F

B) Enterprise B

C) Enterprise C [Ambassador Class]

D) A Ferengi Marauder

F) Borg Tactical Cube

G) Borg Sphere

H) Jen Hedar Battleship

I) Cardassian Keldon Class

J) Romulan Warbird

K) Kazon Raider

You forgot winnebago with wings!

This is a horrible idea........in so many ways. The grab bags are a good idea, but not for ship aquisition...thats the stupid part. Its ok for something to be rare, just a really bad method for gaining one IMO.

The fact that people slammed down the credit card to make multiple attempts just shows where Cryptics motivations really are (tsk tsk Cryptic this could have been done with more class as it appears shameless).

In the future, if a ship is involved...keep the holiday gift giving to holiday orriented stuff, don't add ships for the purpose of a shameless money grab...tis the season for giving...not taking....Santa Vigo is shaking his finger I can feel it!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    castogere wrote: »
    You forgot winnebago with wings!

This is a horrible idea........in so many ways. The grab bags are a good idea, but not for ship aquisition...thats the stupid part. Its ok for something to be rare, just a really bad method for gaining one IMO.

The fact that people slammed down the credit card to make multiple attempts just shows where Cryptics motivations really are (tsk tsk Cryptic this could have been done with more class as it appears shameless).

In the future, if a ship is involved...keep the holiday gift giving to holiday orriented stuff, don't add ships for the purpose of a shameless money grab...tis the season for giving...not taking....Santa Vigo is shaking his finger I can feel it!

Cryptic is into the money, the stout defenders of the Grab Bag method are Pro-Cryptic and want them to survive by continuing to offer such cstore product, why not place every future ship in these grab bags. Its Fast and easy money, for all Trekkies and fans are soo into the series its an addiction that goes beyond reasoning.

So Cryptic should place every future ship release into these grab bags, they 'll be stupid not to. Ships = $$$$ - so I guess the only way to keep in business is to make money by dangling Red Boxes that include a 0.1% chance of getting a shiny new ship.

Actually make the drop even more rare, like around 0.000001%
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    BlackV7 wrote:
    Cryptic is into the money, the stout defenders of the Grab Bag method are Pro-Cryptic and want them to survive by continuing to offer such cstore product, why not place every future ship in these grab bags. Its Fast and easy money, for all Trekkies and fans are soo into the series its an addiction that goes beyond reasoning.

So Cryptic should place every future ship release into these grab bags, they 'll be stupid not to. Ships = $$$$ - so I guess the only way to keep in business is to make money by dangling Red Boxes that include a 0.1% chance of getting a shiny new ship.

Actually make the drop even more rare, like around 0.000001%

While I see your point (and agree with your logic to an extent) this is just encouraging more discord among the player base at the expense of those that disagree with this paradigm of business model and marketting practice.

Sure it sounds like a good idea in the sense of spite and sarcasm (dually noted)....yet doing this just to teach Cryptic a lesson....well its a very expensive lesson for all involved...one Im sure they have already thought of.

I see your point though
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    While I see your point (and agree with your logic to an extent) this is just encouraging more discord among the player base at the expense of those that disagree with this paradigm of business model and marketting practice.

Sure it sounds like a good idea in the sense of spite and sarcasm (dually noted)....yet doing this just to teach Cryptic a lesson....well its a very expensive lesson for all involved...one Im sure they have already thought of.

I see your point though

This is not to teach Cryptic a lesson, nor is it intended to, nor am I stating this out of spite or sarcasm, I'm dead serious.

A) There are already plenty of free ships out there, or just buy some via VA tokens & Dilithium

B) Fans will be fans, so from a business point of view - exploit the fans fanaticism

C) Cryptic needs "money," they already have a good portion of Star Trek fans, so the method should be used to produce even more revenue - Heck, D'Angelo stated that the boxes were a huge success.

D) Everyone loves surprises, so surprise your fans with the Grab Bags (Just don't tell them whats inside)

E) Only offer cosmetic items and costumes in the exchange, even mini pets but no ships etc.. (Still offer the ones already established.)

F) Make the Federation Grab Bag Ship drops random, so you have a chance to get a pre-exisiting one or an entirely new one. - same for the KDF side.

Actually I can see this taking off on a whole new level.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    BlackV7 wrote:
    This is not to teach Cryptic a lesson, nor is it intended to, nor am I stating this out of spite or sarcasm, I'm dead serious.

A) There are already plenty of free ships out there, or just buy some via VA tokens & Dilithium

B) Fans will be fans, so from a business point of view - exploit the fans fanaticism

C) Cryptic needs "money," they already have a good portion of Star Trek fans, so the method should be used to produce even more revenue - Heck, D'Angelo stated that the boxes were a huge success.

D) Everyone loves surprises, so surprise your fans with the Grab Bags (Just don't tell them whats inside)

E) Only offer cosmetic items and costumes in the exchange, even mini pets but no ships etc.. (Still offer the ones already established.)

F) Make the Federation Grab Bag Ship drops random, so you have a chance to get a pre-exisiting one or an entirely new one. - same for the KDF side.

Actually I can see this taking off on a whole new level.

Opposite thinking, I like it......not sure if this is the right solution however, but your hearts in the right place. I get it too, they need money for game this and game that....thats not really the issue.

My whine is that they put a ship in the mix for a holiday event....the concept is fine in itself, just adding ships to a grab bag temporary event? It does come off as kind of I dunno...shameless.

You are correct in the respect that the idea is a good one, only the surprises should be kept more neutral as far as game play is concerned.

Then again Crytpic likes to opperate in a grey area.......

Thank's for clarifing that though, wasn't sure if you were serious of being facetious. :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    ... My whine is that they put a ship in the mix for a holiday event....the concept is fine in itself, just adding ships to a grab bag temporary event? It does come off as kind of I dunno...shameless.

You are correct in the respect that the idea is a good one, only the surprises should be kept more neutral as far as game play is concerned.

Then again Crytpic likes to opperate in a grey area.......

Its more in line of that this is the future direction of STO and nobody is going to change this. You are correct that they used a Holiday event and exploited it with this method, shameless indeed. However; money talks and BS walks.

Truth is, they need to make the grab bag a permanent item at the Cstore with any future starship releases being release by those means. Fans will now have a chance to have an exclusive item, and the immature ones can go on with statements like "neener, neener, I have it, you don't," LOL.

Also this will help promote individuality by means of exclusiveness - everyone now has a chance at an exclusive item. Imagine "player A" piloting the Enterprise F, while "player B" pilotting the Ambassador class Enterprise, see my point - its a win, win situation. Players get a neeter ship, and Cryptic reaps in the BIG BUCKS - and hopefully with all that revenue we can go on to the more important aspect of STO - Its Gameplay & more Content.

So Grab Bags should be the new means to acquire future vessels - its the logical economic thing to do.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Okay, so grab bags are here to stay. I can live with that.
    I just wanna know a few things about these grab bags, just in interest of goodwill and disclosure .

1st. What are the odds?
    I think we deserve to at least know this. How can we spend money, or our stipend on a "chance" when we really don't know what that chance is ?

2. Have the odds ever been "tweaked" or adjusted in anyway ?
    I know that the STF rare/very rare Borg tech drops have been "adjusted" lately because THOSE odds were too low. So I think this question definitely has validity.

3. How many people have actually won the ship ? and how many do they plan to give out ? Is there any "limit" on the amount to be awarded ?
    Is someone keeping track of how many are being awarded?

4. With these game bugs that happen all over the place and seemingly take forever to fix, what are the chances some bug might influence people's chances ? Is there anything in place to make sure that everything is working as it should? Because to be fair, I gotta tell you guys, that your track record of being on top of game exploits and bugs has NOT been outstanding in my opinion.

From recent personal experience:
    I have 6 characters I've been running the races daily with. I have NEVER won, NOT EVEN ONCE, a Borg or photonic Bridge officer, or any of the Hortas or any other pets for that matter running the race. Just green quality, lower rank gear and holiday currency. (And why should I EVEN get lower rank gear in the first place? this happens in STFs loot bags too A LOT WHY ? ? ! I thought the rewards were scaled, am I wrong? Because lower rank green gear is not a reward or a gift, it's JUNK TBH and CERTAINLY NOT worthy of spending C points on ! in my opinion)
    The only time I got those other mentioned consolation prizes, is when I bought the grab bag with C points.
    So with this in mind:
    5. Do these special consolation prizes only get awarded when you spend real money or Cryptic points ?, because for ME, that has been the case.

6. I've played with a Cryptic employee. He once told me once that he gets everything he wants in game for free. I know for a fact that he's sold 8 hour skill points, that he seemingly had unlimited supply of, on the exchange while giving others away. (This saturates the exchange and lowers the VALUE of items PLAYERS got legitimately BTW - NOT COOL)
    Do Cryptic employees have access to more than one of these ships? Is there a chance they might be giving them out to "some" players,OR selling them on the exchange ? (for those HUGE e.c. prices?)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Next grab bag premium prize will have ponies. :)