What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Welcome to the F2P Q&A

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    Right basically i need to know as sto is becoming free to play now Can i cancel my Lifetime membership And get a refund or will crypic only allow me to cancel my sub and not give me a refund? I need help here urgently,

Thankyou

tom

Hey if you don't want your lifetime sub anymore ill be happy to take it off your hands in trade for some c-store points. Make me an offer :P
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    when is the F2P version going to be released:)
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Better question: Will there be an open beta for us freeloaders/ex-subscribers too (so we can grab some rewards too/test with our main char) or there will be only this closed beta for current subscribers.

Off question: only active subscribers can post on the forums? if not, then what could be wrong with my main acc?
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    MDPhantom wrote: »

And now i read about F2P, and the small amount off chages between a full paying member and an non paying player.

And too be honest i was shocked, dissappointed and it felt like a slap in the face.
    Why the hell did i pay so much for a game that turns F2P.

I really hope they will start too make the game more fun again.
    At least giving us paying costumers something worth our money.

You payed for the game because at the time it was subscription only and frankly, you probably got your moneys worth. Now you will presumably get $5 worth of cryptic points per month.

I do honestly think that Cryptic should have taken down the lifetime subscription option between the time they decided to change the model of the game and the time they announced it.

I also feel that Cryptic should offer 100% refund to anyone who bought one during that period and a pro-rated refund for anyone else who wants it (the price you paid - $15 for each month since you bought the subscription).
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    will us existing players get any rewards for subscribing when the game moves to free to play??
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Will they fix the bug on your bridge with clones officers?

Will the clear up the cloud in "Klingon Scout Force" so poeple's computers don't lag?

Will we ever get to tailer our ship crew uniforms?

When will Cryptic come up with better shields?

When will Cryptic make rear cannons for Tier 5 large cruisers? The Enterprise E has them in the Nemesis Movie, why don't we?

When will you build a carrier for the Feds, or of give us fighters that we can keep?

When will you make us pets that fight? I am ****ed off at the fact that I did all the missions to get a Delta flyer just to see it not fight when I'm in battle.
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Blue_Fire wrote:
    If you've got questions and are looking for some clarifications concerning Star Trek Online's transition to a free-to-play model, this is the place to ask them.
    Two months worth of Q in this Welcome to the F2P Q&A thread, but zero A.

Excellent score. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Will we see the level cap go up any time after STO goes F2P playing the missions at max level right now is not that fun nothing to work for besides just replay vaule?
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    hi,
    i have a lifetime subscription, and what does happen to us in the free 2 play transition?
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Blue_Fire wrote:
    If you've got questions and are looking for some clarifications concerning Star Trek Online's transition to a free-to-play model, this is the place to ask them.

EDIT: Star Trek Online: Free-to-Play launches January 17, 2012.

Hello,
    I have a lifetime subscription what benefits does my account recieve for being a lifetime subscriber since the game is going to free play, do I get extra dilithium, cheaper prices at the c-store more experience boost? And will there still be ships available for purchase in the C-Store because I do not have the time to gather the resources required just to out right purchase the ships given the new economy. I would like a little more detail and some clarifications on these topics. Will there still be missions that give gear for your ship and your person and crew that are level specific, but are usually very rare, rare, or uncommon like the deferi mission story give three very rare ship items for completion of certain missions in the story, I would like that to be kept, becaue I enjoyed that very much. You could upgrade you ship sytems at no cost to you and gain experience while doing it. Do you have to level up sometimes to play more story missions? The questions stated previously I would like more details on. Besides the question I would like to say I enjoy STO a lot and keep up the good work.

Sincerely

Michael McCoy
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    hi,
    i have a lifetime subscription, and what does happen to us in the free 2 play transition?
    MACE_9 wrote:
    Hello,
    I have a lifetime subscription what benefits does my account recieve for being a lifetime subscriber since the game is going to free play, do I get extra dilithium, cheaper prices at the c-store more experience boost?...

As LifeTime Subscribers (LTS) you will both become Gold Members of STO, same as any other paid subscriber. Players who play for Free will be Silver Members. The basic difference between the two are here:

http://www.startrekonline.com/f2p_features

But that's the Public Relations Spin of the subscriber benefits. Be aware that they game is fundamentally changing so that to get anything but the most common (literally) base gear, will require excessive grinding for their new double-time-gated currency Dilithium and/or the acquisition of Cryptic Points. This will affect both Silver and Gold Members alike. The biggest benefit to being a Gold Member is you will get a free Ship Token (up through Rear Admiral, until you're a 600-Day Vet then you get the VA Token unlock) and the 400 CP Monthly Stipend. The latter is diluted by the fact that C-Store prices will generally be raising come F2P.

If you'd like more info on how your subscription is changing, I invite you to click on my signature picture and read my thread on the changes.

P.S. I'm surprised that Blue_Fire bothered to edit the OP on this thread with the F2P Launch Date, considering there's been bugger-all response from Cryptic in this or any of thread in the F2P Question & (LOL)Answer Forums.
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Duh, never mind, I'm an idiot. Going to read that page that actually does tell what the perks are.
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    I have 1 Fed toon and a Klingon toon on the Tribble server. I have 2 Klingon toons and 1 Fed toon on the Holodeck server. What will happen to my toons when the changes fro F2P happen ?

Thanks
    Steve
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    SPILKA wrote: »
    I have 1 Fed toon and a Klingon toon on the Tribble server. I have 2 Klingon toons and 1 Fed toon on the Holodeck server. What will happen to my toons when the changes fro F2P happen ?

Thanks
    Steve

The characters on the Tribble server will likely be deleted or archived. Any rewards will be made available on holodeck.

Your characters on Holodeck will be left alone when the change happens. When you log on, they will go through a similar conversion process to transferring to tribble (emblems, marks, merits, et cetera will be converted). If you stop paying, your characters will be archived and you will be allowed to convert them to silver or keep them and continue paying for gold at a later date.
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Q: If I have a trill character which was a feature of the deluxe edition what will happen to it when it goes F2P? Do I lose it if I go silver or am I forced to be gold to access it?
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Now that you are going F2P, what bonus will those of use that bought a lifetime membership gain?
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Q: If I have a trill character which was a feature of the deluxe edition what will happen to it when it goes F2P? Do I lose it if I go silver or am I forced to be gold to access it?
    I believe the Devs have said anything you've already purchased/earned remains unlocked.
    zayfard wrote: »
    Now that you are going F2P, what bonus will those of use that bought a lifetime membership gain?
    The answers you seek are in post 222.
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Rhodes85 wrote: »
    that is not a difference. you paid the same amount as everyone else and then expect special treatment.

Well, I can tell you, I've spent at least twice that in the cstore, so again, we've both contributed to this game.

I am referring to subscription fees, therefore your argument is invalid. if you can't see how a lifetime subscriber is only required to pay at most $300 and therefore will pay considerably fewer sub fees over the life of the game you need to take another look.

so you resort to insults and 'yay i'm better than you because I paid $300 up front!!' elitism. it doesn't help your case.

no it was a lie. as others have already told you in several other posts. even if liberated borg are being made available to others that does not mean you are losing them. you still have the same ability to create one. hence you have lost nothing.

the benefit of the lifetime membership is never paying again. and you still aren't losing anything.

they aren't supposed to gain anything substantial. a lifetime membership is a lifetime membership. thats the purpose behind buying it

I see alot of people claim this despite the fact it has no basis in reality

current users keep what they already have. liberated borg characters are not removed from lifetime accounts. this has already been made clear

no, because by its very concept that is not free to play. free to play makes more money than subscriptions from microtransaction sales, therefore its in the best interest of cryptic leave silvers as they are to attract more people. more people = more transactions = more money. its the whole 'it takes money to make money' concept[/QUOTE]

Do you know about the time value of money? Its safe to assume that every dollar that was put in by life time subscribers wasn't spent as soon as it was paid, so the value of that money over time is greater because of the intrerest that is earned on the money.

Also, not having exclusive access to content after it was given to you is a loss.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    illrigger wrote: »
    I'm not following your logic at all. Free is free, it doesn't change the price of anything except to make it cheaper. Just because CO gives you more free doesn't actually make free any more or less valuable, it being, well... *free*.

It certainly doesn't make things that are *not* free more expensive, all it can do is make it cheaper - after all you get no free points for $15 now, vs those same $15 giving you 400 free points after. That makes any purchase you made this month cost 400 more points than it would after they start giving you free points.

BTW, 400 points is NOT less than $5.00, it's exactly $5.00 ($6.25 = 500 points, 80 points per $1 = 400 per $5), so I'm not sure what your point was to begin with...

wow it dont take a lot to understand this i will give it a try the 400 free points per month is not free in order to get them you need to pay a sub of 15.00 to get the first 400 then you need to figure 5 months to pay 15.00 that will get you 2000. now that is 75.00 just for 2000 stipend you just paid for 400 little points per month i agree with you at 100% it is cheaper for a free to player to get a better deal 25.00 gets you the 2000 points instead of paying a sub for 5 months at 75.00 just to get 2000 points. as for the limits for silver really i can buy extra officer,character bank and inventory slots cheap and still keep up with you pay players
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am referring to subscription fees, therefore your argument is invalid. if you can't see how a lifetime subscriber is only required to pay at most $300 and therefore will pay considerably fewer sub fees over the life of the game you need to take another look.

so you resort to insults and 'yay i'm better than you because I paid $300 up front!!' elitism. it doesn't help your case.

no it was a lie. as others have already told you in several other posts. even if liberated borg are being made available to others that does not mean you are losing them. you still have the same ability to create one. hence you have lost nothing.

the benefit of the lifetime membership is never paying again. and you still aren't losing anything.

they aren't supposed to gain anything substantial. a lifetime membership is a lifetime membership. thats the purpose behind buying it

I see alot of people claim this despite the fact it has no basis in reality

current users keep what they already have. liberated borg characters are not removed from lifetime accounts. this has already been made clear

no, because by its very concept that is not free to play. free to play makes more money than subscriptions from microtransaction sales, therefore its in the best interest of cryptic leave silvers as they are to attract more people. more people = more transactions = more money. its the whole 'it takes money to make money' concept

Do you know about the time value of money? Its safe to assume that every dollar that was put in by life time subscribers wasn't spent as soon as it was paid, so the value of that money over time is greater because of the intrerest that is earned on the money.

Also, not having exclusive access to content after it was given to you is a loss.[/QUOTE]

thats right its not free to play look at what you paid thou for the game just to get 400 points like i said in my other reply you are paying 15.00 a month for 5 months to get 2000 points = 75.00 total sub fee you on the other hand paid a whole lot more than you think. free to play has a better options than a lifer or a 15.00 a month player a free to player can get what you can get for 25.00 a month not a 5 month sub at 75.00 so it is cheaper to go free to play not pay to play you bet im going free to play to get the same thing for less money
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Dondaddyd wrote: »
    Lifers may not lose anything but what concerns me is that they don't gain anything subtantial either. At present there is nothing to demonstrate their value or reward their loyalty for spending such a premium for this game, which has ultimately helped lead it to this financially beneficial point for Cryptic.

It's like thank you and bye bye. You've served your purpose. Its all about Silver members now.

Hell, I'm a subscriber (hereafter Gold member) who always considered going 'Life' and what concerns me is that it appears that there is a diminishing (it should be increasing) amount of incentives to go life.

Moreover, I don't really think there is enough to keep me a Gold member, from dropping down to Silver.

If we take the Champions Online Model, which this is based on, at least in that game Gold members have full access to all the character archetypes and can cutomise character archetypes and the adventure packs (those are like premium missions) while the Comic series are free for all players to play.

Adverture packs, some character types and bank slots are all purchasable through the CO C-store for Silver members but free to subscribers.

If Star Trek truly mirrored tht format - and it works irrespective of whether you like the game or not - then th following would likely happen:

Lastly I know this is largely Fed centric but I'm not a Klingon player.

wow alot of people love to confuse everyone. 1)lifers get to be a borg and other free stuff they get for their dedication with every thing unlimited 2) paid to play pays 15.00 dollars a month and has everything unlimited. 3) free to players this is where everyone is really confusing everyone. free to play has the upper hand out of the game. sure they get stuff limited but is the stuff really that important. game voice and regular chat and foundary missions limited plus fleet creating limited are these things that important to pay 15.00 dollars a month for 4) All the game stuff tier ships extra character bridge officer bank and inventory slots that free to play are lacking can be bought in c store. 5) the stipend for payed players is 15.00 dollars a month and receive 400 points but after paying 5 months they will get 2000 but at a 75.00 sub fee for 5 months free to play no problem no sub just pay 25.00 dollars there is your 2000 points in 1 month not 5 now if the payed player wants more tokens they need to buy them at the c store for more money +their 15.00 dollars. 6) in the end the bottom line free to play silver accounts gets all the game content + all the tier ships on the c store very cheap no sub Free To Play = Win Win
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    hi all, i'm new to sto, just acquired this morning the digital delux download, with the intention to play the 30 free days and than to continue with the next coming free-to-play as silver user.
    about this i have a question, sorry if already asked by someone, but 24 3d pages are heavy to read:
    - my account will loose all the "deluxe edition features" (tos uniforms, joined trill, khaan emote, klingon blood wine toast, nx registry prefix, automated defense battery) in the transaction to the free-to-play form?
    - and my tos classical enterprise unlocked for free?
    thanks for your attention :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Black75 wrote: »
    hi all, i'm new to sto, just acquired this morning the digital delux download, with the intention to play the 30 free days and than to continue with the next coming free-to-play as silver user.
    about this i have a question, sorry if already asked by someone, but 24 3d pages are heavy to read:
    - my account will loose all the "deluxe edition features" (tos uniforms, joined trill, khaan emote, klingon blood wine toast, nx registry prefix, automated defense battery) in the transaction to the free-to-play form?
    - and my tos classical enterprise unlocked for free?
    thanks for your attention :)
    The basic understanding that Cryptic has tried to express is that, with exception to Gold-specific features (of which the items you list are not), then anything you've already unlocked will remain unlocked, even if your account goes Silver.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The basic understanding that Cryptic has tried to express is that, with exception to Gold-specific features (of which the items you list are not), then anything you've already unlocked will remain unlocked, even if your account goes Silver.

Many thanks for your reply!!!! :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    PRtrek wrote: »
    Is there enough of a difference between Silver and Gold memberships to make it worth the cost of a monthly subscription?

I have been a loyal monthly subscriber for well over a year and had planned on continuing to pay or even upgrade to a lifetime subscription when the F2P announcement was made. Unfortunately, I feel there is not enough incentive to continue paying to play. I believe the monthly stipend needs to be increased substantially or the monthly fees need to be decreased. I love this game and would like to continue to support it financially but i don't feel there is any substantial reason to do so if I can get the same content for free.

hello to answer your question this is your choice to make free to play or sub. there are a few minor differences between free to play and pay to play. all game content tier ships and all are available to free to play just check out the c store for details. there are limits to the foundry creation of missions,voice in game chat in game and emails in game. free to play also will receive less character,bank inventory and bridge officer slots but these can be bought on c store. free to play does not get a stipend but the bad thing for the stipend is if you want it you need to pay for it by subbing. i think by far going silver in my opinion in my better choice when looking at the stipend you need to pay 15.00 dollars a month to get 400 and in order to get 2000 points = 75.00dollars or 5 months sub which 25.00 = 2000 which a free to play could do to get c points and buy his/her stuff from c store. i hope this helped you i believe this shows the savings free to play vs pay to play
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Seems at times I have to finally respond to something that gets to me, Like where in all the Known Galaxy are Our VA ships ??
    Oh, I see, now we have to buy the frakin things, forget earning them......nope, spend more money if you want we once got for free for being loyal members and players of a game that to this date, has had so little new anything at all in way of content that i can tell you every mission there has ever been on here.
    Then they destroy the DTFs on top of that, so any person that can hit space bar can beat it.
    Gone are the days where my "friend's" and i would actually plan out a STF, prepare to run it then completely destroy it in a matter of an hour ( I am talking like the Cure VA). I am sorry so many couldn't either find the time or had any "friend's" that could run the STFs with them, but to be punished for those peoples shot comings seems so wrong it wioll make sure I NEVER run a Nerfed STF ever. Yes, I hate the New season more and more as everything I actually liked in this game is being taken away one part at a time, the ships, the rewards, the STFs, why not just null all Life time accounts and finally get it over with ???. Sorry, just had to vent this out. :(
    If you think about it, the things you are taking away are the things we all played and used to play while Cryptic did nothing as far as content for like a year. Now, when the very people that are here, when no reason has been given to those people to stay, why start messing around with the things those people stayed here for and why keep taking when you still have given nothing back as far as content or game play ??? Be warned, most of my fleet are checking out a galaxy far far away......not a good sign any way you look at it. :eek:
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Were there already some new infos about the new Cryptic-store prices? How will the prices change after free to play?
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    I purchased a lifetime membership when the game first came out. what benifits do I get as a lifetime sucriber when the game goes free 2 play.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    anyone know the process to convert from gold to silver
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    wrote:
    anyone know the process to convert from gold to silver
    There is no process. When you pick a character if there are changes it simply tells you that your character has been converted to conform to the new rules.
This discussion has been closed.