What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Welcome to the F2P Q&A

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited January 2012
    when you choose your ships every time you rank up can you choose any kind (engineer, science, or tactical) or only kind for your type of officer
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    I bought the collector's edition back when the beta ended. I'm interested in coming back and I was told that people with accounts can play right now. My login says I don't have an account but I can log into the website and it says my collector's edition is on my account. Why can't I login?
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Blue_Fire wrote:
    If you've got questions and are looking for some clarifications concerning Star Trek Online's transition to a free-to-play model, this is the place to ask them.

EDIT: Star Trek Online: Free-to-Play launches January 17, 2012.

Will it be possible to have cryptic point cards which can purchased from game retailers like GameStop, Best Buy, Seven Eleven, and more.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Someone mentioned in-game today that when the game officially goes F2P that ship purchases through the C-Store will change. Change such that if you purchase a ship in the C-Store, that ship will only be unlocked on the character it has been purchased for. Is this true?
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    "Q: Will there be any changes to the C-Store now that STO is going free-to-play?Top

Yes. We'll be reviewing the content and prices of goods on offer in the C-store. This includes prices for ships at all tiers. There are currently no plans to increase the price of any premium ship. For now, we know that some previously purchasable playable species will soon be free (Ferengi, Rigelian, Pakled, Tellarite), and others (Liberated Borg, Joined Trill, Federation Klingons) will be earned through other means. If you have already unlocked access to any C-store items, including playable species, you will retain that access in the free-to-play transition."

http://www.startrekonline.com/f2p_faq

So does this mean that when you level up in rank you need to by your next ship or are you allowed to have a non-specialty ship, like when STO was pay to play? For example if my if someone goes from commander to captain do they need to buy a ship or can they just get, the enterprise for example for free?
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    You get normal ships choices at Lt. Cmdr, Cmdr, Captain, and RA for free - you get a token. That covers T2, T3, T4, and T5.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Cosmic_One wrote: »
    You get normal ships choices at Lt. Cmdr, Cmdr, Captain, and RA for free - you get a token. That covers T2, T3, T4, and T5.
    Though actually, the F2P Matrix only says tokens at Lt.Cmdr. and Cmdr. (T2 and T3) and dilithium discount on a single ship at later ranks...

http://www.startrekonline.com/f2p_features
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    I haven't played since August due to financial difficulty. Are my characters still there? I want to play again. Thanks.:confused:
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Zentaura wrote: »
    I haven't played since August due to financial difficulty. Are my characters still there? I want to play again. Thanks.:confused:
    My understanding is Cryptic keeps your records indefinitely. So if you ever quit (for any reason), but come back, your characters (with their experience, gear, loot, cash, C-Store unlocks, etc.) are just the way you left them*.

Welcome back!

* Just the way you left them, but perhaps converted to a new system, depending on when you last logged on. For example, all Emblems, Badges, Merits, Medals, etc. got converted into Dilithium (EC and GPLremain, however). Also, the skill tree has been revamped (a couple times), so when you first sign in, you may be required to reapply your skill points (but your rank won't change).
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    I currently have two federation captains and i do not want a klingon. If i choose to goto free to play would i lose one of those federation captains even though i wont use it for klingon.

I know what they will say but i really dont wana lose both charators
    :eek:
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    People who have purchased the game get to keep the extra Character Slot. So since you have owned a copy you get your 3. New players, who have never purchased a copy of the game, are limited to 2 Character Slots.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Cosmic_One wrote: »
    People who have purchased the game get to keep the extra Character Slot. So since you have owned a copy you get your 3. New players, who have never purchased a copy of the game, are limited to 2 Character Slots.

Thankyou for your time to reply now a happy man :)
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Question guys I have not played in months and I am on cryptics server. Can I log in to the game and play for free now or do I need to make a new account under the F2P???
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    You can play for free with your existing account. You don't need a new one.

Welcome back! :)
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Cpt_JC wrote:
    Question guys I have not played in months and I am on cryptics server. Can I log in to the game and play for free now or do I need to make a new account under the F2P???

Everyone who's ever had a paid subscription, even for one month, has been able to play for free since last week. All previous subscriber accounts have been reactivated as silver, with a few bonuses such as one more character slot, that sort of thing.

Jump in and have fun!
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Okay thanks because when I signed in on the cryptic server web pag it said my account subscription was inactive. and I don't see the link to view my captain or ship anymore? but ur sure I can activate the launcher when I get home and I can actually play Free sweet!
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Cpt_JC wrote:
    Okay thanks because when I signed in on the cryptic server web pag it said my account subscription was inactive. and I don't see the link to view my captain or ship anymore? but ur sure I can activate the launcher when I get home and I can actually play Free sweet!
    If you don't play for awhile the system puts your characters in limbo/storage. They don't come out until you actually log in and play one of them.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    lol limbo!!!!!!!!!!! thx bud. hey if you play starfleet commander (playstarfleet.com) I am Jared1701 and I am second in command of the Dark Omega Alliance come join us. everyone here is welcome to join us at Playstarfleet.com in the Dark Omega Alliance just when u apply to the alliance referance me Jared. Let us go blow something up
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Tripp...if I click on 'REACTIVATE SUBSCRIPTION' on my account settings will the account resume Gold or Silver?
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Reactivate means you become Gold. If you want to be Silver you don't need to go into your Account at all. Just load the Launcher, patch, and play.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    When the server become active I will give it a go, thank you for the info
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    I won the contest back in the day for naming a new ship and received a unique title. Will that title still be available to me in the F2P game?
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    boomer69 wrote: »
    Tripp...if I click on 'REACTIVATE SUBSCRIPTION' on my account settings will the account resume Gold or Silver?

I'm just another player, and not privy to any special information, but I don't think you have to "reactivate" anything to play Silver. I didn't. I believe they "reactivated" all lapsed subs for the early F2P for previous subscribers.. Have you tried just playing it?

I'd assume you would have to actually pay for a month to get Gold status.

Edit: Man, I really need to learn to finish the thread before I reply!
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Blue_Fire wrote:
    If you've got questions and are looking for some clarifications concerning Star Trek Online's transition to a free-to-play model, this is the place to ask them.

EDIT: Star Trek Online: Free-to-Play launches January 17, 2012.

At every level where I have earned a new ship it has in past been free. Now I am Vice Admiral and have to buy any new ship with Cstore credits. Is this new under FTP?
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Do subscription monthly paying Gold members still get the allocated 400 Cryptic points per month?
    And if so why Havant I received any as yet? Even though I paid.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Eyewrenchi wrote:
    Do subscription monthly paying Gold members still get the allocated 400 Cryptic points per month?
    And if so why Havant I received any as yet? Even though I paid.

if you started paying this month you may not see anything till February as you may not have been gold for a month yet, if you have though I'm not sure. I and a few others I know have already gotten the first monthly stipend.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    I've had some recent problems getting my subscription working, and accidentally created characters under a silver account when i should have been gold. I'm just wondering whether when i go back to gold, those characters will still be considered silver ones, or will retroactively get all the gold perks? or even future gold perks, like being able to have more bank slots/ship tokens etc?
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    will this game stay f2p ? for ever? or will it go back to p2p ? if so i'll stop buying crytic points
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Of course it's going to stay free.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Can anyone tell me how many character slots a new F2P player has and can extra character slots be bought in the C-Store?
This discussion has been closed.