Install Arc
Options

Duty Officers 101

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Powerhelm wrote: »
    Though I was wondering if it would be possible to make it take longer for other commendation levels once you capped some?

If I cap Diplomacy I get a 2.5% additional XP requirement per tier added to each other category. Then I cap Engineering I get another 2.5% on the remaining categories. Basically the more categories I cap the longer it'll take to cap any one remaining category until I get to the last category available to me which by that point should drag out a fair amount of time.

Is this something even possible with the current tech?

It's not something that is available with the current tech, but even aside from that, the concern I would have would be that it potentially makes it very hard for a player to back out and change their focus; it's not something a respec makes much sense for.

l3reakmanx wrote: »
    Great to see more screenshots. One thing, though; can I ask why you always upload such low res pics? They're big enough to make out the text, but just barely. Rather than making us squint and hurt our eyes (especially for those of use without great eyesight), would it be possible that you could upload pics that are just a tiny bit larger? Anyway, thanks a lot, and I can't wait for this system! Hope I get into redshirt, heh.

Partially it is because at work I don't have Photoshop and have to work through Paint which in comparison is basically a Pakled, partially it is because I am usually in a hurry when I am doing the screenshots. I'll try to get some hi-res screenshots as well, though.

Woril wrote: »
    In my opinion it would be interesting to have some sort of penalty missions caused by critical failures of other missions. Something like: "Dispatch a delegation to the you-name-it administartion in order to apologize for the diplomatic disaster caused by sending your targ to some previous conference."

Currently this is pretty rare due to it being tricky and time consuming to set up properly, but this does happen on a few Colonial assignments, and also one where you turn in confiscated contraband and there is an...um...misunderstanding and your poor duty officer gets locked up for a while on charges of passing banned goods until you can get it straightened out.

I wonder what happens on a disaster outcome? The weapon blows up in the DOff's face and lands the DOff in sickbay (since they can't be killed unless they're a white/common quality DOff)?

Mess with Science, and Science sometimes messes back with you. :cool: Yes, a disaster on something like this basically means something blows up.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Heretic wrote:
    Currently this is pretty rare due to it being tricky and time consuming to set up properly, but this does happen on a few Colonial assignments, and also one where you turn in confiscated contraband and there is an...um...misunderstanding and your poor duty officer gets locked up for a while on charges of passing banned goods until you can get it straightened out.

For the record, I adore this! Talk about depth and immersion!
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Heretic wrote:
    Partially it is because at work I don't have Photoshop and have to work through Paint which in comparison is basically a Pakled, partially it is because I am usually in a hurry when I am doing the screenshots. I'll try to get some hi-res screenshots as well, though.

There is a few free editors out there like Paint.net or Gimp which are pretty good for quick edits like that, I don't think you really need to be limited to paint unless there's some legal issues involved or something?

On a side note, I'd love to see these experimental equipment assignments be expanded on if you can get chains of Doff assignments to work out right. (and not be horribly hard to do)

Like initial designs (High chance of failure but no critical failure) Then early prototypes, the working prototypes, then experimental equipment, testing phases eventually leading to a working design you can equip on your ship (Or your character)

Or even a chain of equipment as you advance down the designing line, starting with white, then eventually leading to a rare or very rare item.

Of course if they are "new" weapons then balancing might be an issue.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Heretic wrote:
    Paint is all you need for this, really - I don't use anything else either. The issue with the screenshots isn't the input resolution at all, it's that Imageshack automatically resizes them if you don't change it on the small dropdown menu.
    Takes a bit more time to up- and download due to increased file size, but it's usually worth it. (screenshots are random, just to show the level of quality)

Just toss' em to us like you take them, 1:1. :)

In fact, I don't even think you need any image software at all. Most of the time, I'm uploading directly from my STO screenshot directory. So if taking screenshots isn't disabled on your client, ...

And thanks again for these little previews! This thread is one of the few things I am currently checking on an almost daily basis.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    How do I assign DO's?
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Currently you can not do it, because the DO system is in development.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    It's not something that is available with the current tech, but even aside from that, the concern I would have would be that it potentially makes it very hard for a player to back out and change their focus; it's not something a respec makes much sense for.

My thought process is that if I can see up to the end of the tree and see what I'll earn at each level I'll decide then and there how I want to go. There won't be any backing out because I still have plenty of time before that last tier to change my mind.

Which reminds me: There WILL be a way to see the rewards at each tier in each commendation won't there? This way people spend less time climbing up tiers they might not want rewards from.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Which reminds me: There WILL be a way to see the rewards at each tier in each commendation won't there? This way people spend less time climbing up tiers they might not want rewards from.

It should just like you can see the rewards for each Diplomacy tier by clicking on the XP bar at the top of the screen.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    l3reakmanx wrote: »
    Ooh, Deltans Doffs confirmed! Well, either that or we're getting impossible assignments requiring races we can't use. ;)

Great to see more screenshots. One thing, though; can I ask why you always upload such low res pics? They're big enough to make out the text, but just barely. Rather than making us squint and hurt our eyes (especially for those of use without great eyesight), would it be possible that you could upload pics that are just a tiny bit larger? Anyway, thanks a lot, and I can't wait for this system! Hope I get into redshirt, heh.

wrong thread
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    are you going to put any side missons in the any of the stfs?
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    just want to add:

1: It may be the IT Dept. that does not want ppl installing software they have not vetted that prevents heretic from installing GIMP or whatever.

2: it may also help to lower the resolution of the game client before taking the screenshot as well. (but if imageshack is resizing them, disabling that would be best.)
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    starkaos wrote: »
    It should just like you can see the rewards for each Diplomacy tier by clicking on the XP bar at the top of the screen.

Yes, exactly this. The Diplomacy reward schedule is being updated to be a Commendation reward schedule including both Diplomacy as well as all of the new Commendation category rewards.

Rewards for tiering up also include opening up new assignments (which obviously won't be explicitly shown - we want you to discover these organically) and is, as well, a work in progress. Right now it's thinner than I would like, but we're working to strengthen it and will continue to work on it even after the system is released.

graetwulff wrote: »
    are you going to put any side missons in the any of the stfs?

Assuming by missions you mean duty officer assignments, the answer is TBD. It will depend on Content's schedule and timing.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Heretic wrote:

Assuming by missions you mean duty officer assignments, the answer is TBD. It will depend on Content's schedule and timing.

i hope you guys have the time

like submisson in infecnted, the cure, ka,

misson that could help with the last boss,

infected
    misson end up have the timers on the borg in boss room extaned or something on those lines
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Heretic wrote:
    More screenshots. Showing some of the early functional filtering mechanics, reward screens, and plenty of pixels for you to pick apart for active roster skill lists and the like. :cool:

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150260521152078.324250.750257077&type=1&notif_t=like
    Image Shack - http://imageshack.us/g/27/doff01b.jpg/

WARNING, I followed the image shack thread and my computer was hijacked. Might sound alarmist, however, after following the link, and clicking on a picture to get a better view; an unknown anti-virus program popped up and started to scan my computer. It said I had Trojans, Malware, worms, etc....about 15 before i stopped it.

I had run my Anti-Virus and Anti-Malware program Friday night, therefore, I know I did not have anything lurking on my computer, the only logical conclusion is that the link is a trap. As that was the first and only thing I did that day.

The program would not allow me to start: My Anti-Virus, My Anti-Malware Program, CMD, MSCONFIG, and Windows Restore. It also wouldn't allow me to put my computer in safe mode.

I had to do an image restore, now I am back up and working, but several months behind.

Figured I would warn you all. Heretic you should prob remove the link.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Its a trick advert, its not a antivirus program running, its an advert for one that just looks like one is running.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Usually it is safer simply to kill your browser process without clicking on anything in case if something pretending to be an anti-virus program you have never installed pops up in your browser.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    appreciate the replys, yet it couldnt have been that. Because, I killed all processes, rebooted and it ran again. and again, and again. It blocked all attempts to stop it and eliminate it.

Strangely enough, I run firefox with all pop-ups blocked, yet this pop-up still happened.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Got hit by this a few times. Certain ad companies don't check their client's ads closely enough to make sure the code is secure and legal. One of the methods I found for fixing this type of problem is to find the activation key for the fake antivirus software so I can get access to task manager, terminate the offending program, then delete the program. There might be simpler solutions for this.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Hey guys,

Just wanted to drop a quick line and let you know that we finished a high-level review of the system from the leads and directors in preparation for the system rolling out to the closed beta. The reaction was very positive, and there were a number of good suggestions for streamlining the presentation which we'll be looking at this week, but no huge changes were requested.

All in all, this is great news in terms of things staying on schedule for the duty officer system. Just a little longer, and you'll all be able to get your hands on it and figure out brand new ways to break it and make me stay late at night figuring out how to fix things. :cool:
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Heretic wrote:
    Hey guys,

Just wanted to drop a quick line and let you know that we finished a high-level review of the system from the leads and directors in preparation for the system rolling out to the closed beta. The reaction was very positive, and there were a number of good suggestions for streamlining the presentation which we'll be looking at this week, but no huge changes were requested.

All in all, this is great news in terms of things staying on schedule for the duty officer system. Just a little longer, and you'll all be able to get your hands on it and figure out brand new ways to break it and make me stay late at night figuring out how to fix things. :cool:
    and we'll all enjoy every second of it :D
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    The Federation and KDF are going to discuss a ceasefire. To represent the FEDs Ill send my Romulan DOff with 10 tribbles as a peace offering:D. Lets see if that breaks it for you.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Heretic wrote:
    you'll all be able to get your hands on it and figure out brand new ways to break it

ooooooh we can certainly do THAT!!
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Heretic wrote:
    Just a little longer, and you'll all be able to get your hands on it and figure out brand new ways to break it and make me stay late at night figuring out how to fix things. :cool:

In Soviet Russia, DOff system breaks YOU!

Thanks man. :)

Z
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Heretic wrote:
    Hey guys,

It is always nice to get some good news :)
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Heretic wrote:
    Hey guys,

I have an idea for this testing... Make it a month long event in spirit of Staff and Players working together for the duration of the testing to make sure we break as much as we can find to break so its near perfect when it launches. I'd recommend for like a special prize for everyone who tests like atleast 5-6 days of each of the 4 weeks of it (I'm guessing from previous posts it will be a month long test or longer) that they get like a bottomless keg of bloodwine or whatever fed players drink for heals lol :D Maybe a Keg of Prune Juice for all the Worf fans :D It's a fun way of practicing to heal yourself in a social setting for social areas like the academys *wink* *wink* :D
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Heretic wrote:
    Hey guys,

Give me an address and I'll send you some wicked coffee beans to grind up at the office and brew some fierce coffee.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Heretic wrote:
    Just a little longer, and you'll all be able to get your hands on it and figure out brand new ways to break it and make me stay late at night figuring out how to fix things. :cool:

I'm actually looking forward to logging on to tribble this October (fingers crossed).

I know it's not going to be huge thing and I'm trying not to get too excited, but for me season 4 was all about the DOffs (and the FEs). Besides... From what I can tell you stay late nights anyways :)

The updates and your work on this are much appreciated!
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Heretic wrote:
    [...]

:eek:

So season 4.5 is finally coming soon(=next 2 weeks on tribble). :)
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Vampir888 wrote: »
    :eek:

So season 4.5 is finally coming soon(=next 2 weeks on tribble). :)

From what they said it's going to a closed beta (ie a few invitees) on the internal Redshirt sever (Foundry closed beta was on that server too for quite a while before it went to Tribble) for a few weeks; then to Tribble for a few more weeks - then Live on Holodeck (around 10/22/11)
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Heretic wrote:

You're my favourite. :o:o;)