Can the 6-month TW reset be reversed?

12346»

Comments

• WnbTank - Archosaur
    WnbTank - Archosaur Posts: 1,472 Arc User
    edited April 2012
    This thread is funny and I for one love the change due how it forces the power hungry top factions to see effort for their TWs. If you really want TWs, join a faction that has them, simle as that. It is really bout the choices players make. If you as a group choose pay over fun, it really isn't fault of PWE.

You could do something to change the situation instead of whining how it's not handed for you. If you got 2nd strongest faction to not noshow strongest - balance the sides. It's that simple, when sides are balanced, both will show up. Oh I completely understand personal reasons to not shift balance between factions yourself by joining the weaker one but with that decision you choose something over competition. Essentially top factions are asking for targets for their R9s - I wonder why targets don't find it such fun, lol.

Ps. If you want real TWs you can get them if you are willing to see the effort.
    Trolling Sid since So Hot :o
  • vhrea92
    vhrea92 Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited April 2012
    I don't like the old system nor the new system,

both the system not solve the problem.

I more like a system using the old style "+" where the factions can arrange their own TW schedule.

In this system, yes surely there will be a #1 faction that will dominate the server. But with this system, the #2 faction can make alliance with the other #2 faction to break the #1 faction domination. With limitation in one TW period, a faction can only maximum fight five TW.

No single dominator... no map resetting... problem solved....b:chuckle
  • X_trigger_X - Heavens Tear
    X_trigger_X - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,301 Arc User
    edited April 2012
    HT doesn't even bother with discussing TW at all anymore in the sub section. I haven't logged in but heard the #1 faction, and their alt faction, will end up dominating the map, for what it's worth. The main fac killing off the #2 and #3. The alt faction killing off the baby TW factions. Fun.

Shame the devs were so lazy as to not implement base wars, and decided to divide the community over TW.
  • Michael_Dark - Lost City
    Michael_Dark - Lost City Posts: 9,091 Arc User
    edited April 2012
    And what exactly stops you from doing this? When the map resets, the biggest TW factions are among the others grabbing the first lands off the map. Just because you don't control the entire map doesn't mean you can't still attack the other top factions. Ignore the smaller ones if they bother you so much, and concentrate on the big guys.

Ugh, I'll repeat it yet again. The 2nd biggest faction stopped attacking. The 2nd biggest faction stopped defending. The 2nd biggest faction is just going after easy land for the quick paycheck knowing full well that fighting the biggest opponent isn't worth it because map will reset anyway.

TW was the last pure end-game instance. Now it is a hyper nub instance designed to appease the lowest common denominator. Apparently, that means you and most of the rest of the forum...

I always figured you were intelligent... yet you can't seem to put 1+1 together no matter how many different ways I can explain it. /facepalm

Shame the devs were so lazy as to not implement base wars, and decided to divide the community over TW.

^ this.
    I post in forums. This one and others. That's why I post.
  • Sagek - Sanctuary
    Sagek - Sanctuary Posts: 1,156 Arc User
    edited April 2012
    Ugh, I'll repeat it yet again. The 2nd biggest faction stopped attacking. The 2nd biggest faction stopped defending. The 2nd biggest faction is just going after easy land for the quick paycheck knowing full well that fighting the biggest opponent isn't worth it because map will reset anyway.

It won't always be easy for them. After a few resets and other factions learning how to actually attack and defend. It will make it harder for those top 3 factions to just grab land because there will now be 5 or 6 or maybe more top factions grabing for land which will eventually force the top factions to butt heads.

It's just not there yet and will take time. If you don't have the time or want in helping ensure this senerio happens than don't, but don't complain about how much it sucks when it hasn't even had a chance to really take effect, I mean come on.
  • Quilue - Sanctuary
    Quilue - Sanctuary Posts: 5,787 Arc User
    edited April 2012
    It won't always be easy for them. After a few resets and other factions learning how to actually attack and defend. It will make it harder for those top 3 factions to just grab land because there will now be 5 or 6 or maybe more top factions grabing for land which will eventually force the top factions to butt heads.

It's just not there yet and will take time. If you don't have the time or want in helping ensure this senerio happens than don't, but don't complain about how much it sucks when it hasn't even had a chance to really take effect, I mean come on.

What you're missing is the fact that top factions will always have 80+ signups for TW (which means many more actually show up) while other factions don't. That's what it comes down to on Sanctuary really. It does take time for coordinators to know what they're doing yes, but that's not what keeps mid-sized TW factions from being a challenge. You can only be inexperienced for so long, you need the numbers that want TW. I bet each of the factions on the map have as many players as Vind, LG, or Regi does, yet they have less sign ups because they simply don't have as many players interested in TW. If you do find a "mid-sized" faction with 80+ shows then by all means that faction will be strong in the future, but I would say most of the mid-sized factions will not achieve that simply because their players don't want TW that much.
    Elena Costel: I wash my hands of this affair.
    Legerity: *drags you back* *stains your hands with said affair*
    Elena Costel: Noooo... I don't want to have a dirty affair with Lady Legerity...
    Qui: b:dirty
  • Sagek - Sanctuary
    Sagek - Sanctuary Posts: 1,156 Arc User
    edited April 2012
    What you're missing.

I'm not missing anything, I am just not mentioning everything. I understand the blight, but just because things suck now you can't discluded the fact that this change is still brand new and needs time to flesh out.

It takes time for major change to happen, something like this needs to be done and it would be better to see how to possibly get the best results from it, than to critize it when it is only in it's beginning stages..

I mean thats just my 2 cents, I can't force anyone to see it that way..
  • X_trigger_X - Heavens Tear
    X_trigger_X - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,301 Arc User
    edited April 2012
    I agree with what Sagek said, it's possible these mid-factions may grow to be powers in time. But TW isn't something in my opinion they should mess with, they should have at least asked the community first.

I'm not sure how much power Frankie and the other GMs have over PWI, but I had a thought. I think they should modify the TW refund factions get after their wars are over. You know, you used to see how active a faction was through it, or if it was a fake bid. They should modify that to and add different tiers of TW based on what this number is.
    They already have the instances, it would just take copying of them. This would ensure the people who can field 80 and have 100 sign ups only fight each other, then maybe the people who can only field 40-60 in the middle tier, and bottom tier for the least amount of signups/online.
    Obviously revamp the rewards altogether and have it scaling through each tier.

Basically means the top 5 or 6 can fight each other, then the mid 10, then the scrubs. Idk. b:surrender If I'm talking nonsense just say so :P
  • Quilue - Sanctuary
    edited April 2012
    I don't know how the "refund" was calculated, but pretty much every mid-sized faction could get max refund easily. It's not really a good measure of faction strength. I think rather than separate instances of the map, it's simpler to just have base wars work.
    Elena Costel: Noooo... I don't want to have a dirty affair with Lady Legerity...
  • TwinDreams - Harshlands
    TwinDreams - Harshlands Posts: 90 Arc User
    edited April 2012

TW was the last pure end-game instance. Now it is a hyper nub instance designed to appease the lowest common denominator. Apparently, that means you and most of the rest of the forum...

I always figured you were intelligent... yet you can't seem to put 1+1 together no matter how many different ways I can explain it. /facepalm

Thats just your assumption. Im sure they wont fight the #1 faction because they know they will lose and probably lose in less than half an hour, since they've "stopped attacking and defending" So, with no map reset, 6 months later they got no choice but to attack you and lose in ~30min? Thats very fun?

And by the way, all your arguments are absolutely pointless and selfish. People are not convinced, thats why you have to repeat them, yet even doing so most people here are still not convinced. And the next thing you do is to make a stupid claim that everyone, except the ones that side you, in the forum is a noob, has low intelligence etc.

And honestly, based on ALL your forum posts, we can infer that you have one of the lowest IQ in this forum. Your post are easily predictable without even reading them entirely. Your only redeeming factor is probably just that you are in your server's #1 faction, but that dont give you the rights to say everyone else is a noob.
  • Quilue - Sanctuary
    edited April 2012
    No actually plenty of players agree with him, it's just that other players don't understand his side of the argument because they have never been in a big faction.

With no map reset, they gank the top faction. The ultimate challenge as a TW faction is to defend ganks, because you are fighting 2-3 factions at the same time. Numbers is not (supposed to be) on your side, and gear is not (supposed to be) on your side either, the faction must have good coordination and communication between all of their squads in order to succeed. Players swap instances in order to defend, it is supposed to be exciting.

Unfortunately some servers are so dead and inactive that the top faction defeats the next 3 without difficulty. Such servers might benefit from periodic resets, but I don't believe mine does as much. My server still has a lot of activity and the top gear populace is fairly large - too large to make any top faction able to roll another 3 big faction. Before the reset, my faction was trying to double defend, and was losing a land a week from it. We were getting new coordinators and scouts used to doing what they needed to do.

After the reset no one bothered to attack us. Now people just TW on alts. Does this work out? Would we have double ganks in the future? Maybe...but it would certainly be a long time before we do. This is why a lot of players have also said that 6 months is too short for a reset period.
    edited April 2012
    Thats just your assumption..

Wow, such ignorance, child.

Assumption? lol. You don't know the meaning of the word.

That's what a number of our 2+ year ongoing opponents told us when they decided to give up on defending a war that we ended up winning in 30 minutes. The next week they attacked a weaker guild and pretty much let us crystal walk the next 4 wars...

Yeah, it's absolutely coincidental that our enemies decided to give up fighting us stating it was because the effort wasn't worth the map resetting and then ignoring us to attack a weaker faction that they knew they would win.

Absolutely an assumption. lol
  • Mekkhala - Lost City
    Mekkhala - Lost City Posts: 303 Arc User
    edited April 2012
    No. Michael is correct.

This should have been obvious to PWI. Back when they changed the rewards to mirages factions still attempted to take the map. Anybody who has ever been in a serious TW faction should know that TW pay is laughable. It can't cover the cost of TW. If you TW every week, it sure as hell isn't for money.

What drove TW was the fight to take the map and the fight to stop others from taking the map. I'm currently in #1 on LC and at this point #2 and #3 aren't even showing up. And why should they? The map will be reset there is no worry of us ever dominating the map. If anything, the smaller factions will feel the pain since #2 and #3, if they even bother with TW, will go after them. Before, small factions could stay on the map longer thanks to larger factions duking it out.
    edited April 2012
    What drove TW was the fight to take the map and the fight to stop others from taking the map.

^ this.

Nobody really cared about salary... sure it was a nice bonus, but it didn't come anywhere near the actual cost of going to war. You would need to own at least half the map to cover a good portion of HP and MP charms, attack/def/apo/etc. The reward for TW was owning land and having to fight to hold it.

My last goal was to try to take the map again. Nobody in PWE will be able to accomplish that ever again. That's a sad thing, not a good thing.

TW now is like playing king of the hill on flat ground.
  • Desdi - Sanctuary
    Desdi - Sanctuary Posts: 8,680 Arc User
    edited April 2012
    I can't say I don't like the 6-month-reset but in the end, it actually doesn't matter for me whether it happens or not since my faction and I are not all that interested in TW. I won't argue there...

But...It's just beyond me as to why they cancelled the base wars. I'm pretty sure that was one of the things people cared for the most and looked forward to with excitement. If anything leaders of factions could choose to "put a faction in PK mode" or not. Oh well..
    [SIGPIC]http://i.imgur.com/MtwcqjL.png[/SIGPIC]
    ★ Venomancer videos - tinyurl.com/k6ppkw4 ★ Desdi - Demon ♪ Wyvelin - Sage ★
  • Lnferno - Dreamweaver
    Lnferno - Dreamweaver Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited April 2012
    Been reading this thread for a while now, and both sides have their points. Thing is the Top Facs that always ran the whole server want fun TWs but thing is once the top fac defeats #2 or #3 every single time the best people from those facs rush off to the #1. If the strongest from #2 for instance stayed loyal #1 might see a fight but crushing morale with 6 minute crystal bashes puts all hope out for the peeps in #2. Our server for instance has had the same #1 fac for ages that like to see how fast they can win the war so they can complain about how much fun they arent having with only one fac fighting them. I never understood, why pwn the crystal if you get maybe 1 TW a week, back off let them regroup play around and actually have some fun. Then people start complaining oh my charm is being eaten up by doing that, but wth you work up all week for a roll? Why can't the #1 fac peeps see that its never been fun for the #2 or #3 to get owned like that. Why tw if everyone flocks to the #1 or the #1 crushes all opponents even in a gank. If the per day limitations were removed id be all for ganking the hell out of a self rightous fac holding all the land. But as it stood before and after the reset the #1 fac could only be ganked by 3 at a time. Being the best so long, they're used to it and win all 3 fights usually and win their attack so even if they lose 1 land they gain 1 the same weekend so they dont end up losing at all. With this reset the mid facs actually have fun 3 hour tws and the #1 fac in our server has started to see that they spread out in facs to take part in these. I'll wrap this up, if TW really is supposed to be fun for the #1 why the hell do you spend a week to win in 6 minutes, think about that, and dont say oh they should merge or recruit better so they dont get owned. Just figure theyd have a little more fun if they fought it out with the #2 than use the crush fast method.
  • FatherTed - Dreamweaver
    FatherTed - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,723 Arc User
    edited April 2012
    Been reading this thread for a while now, and both sides have their points. Thing is the Top Facs that always ran the whole server want fun TWs but thing is once the top fac defeats #2 or #3 every single time the best people from those facs rush off to the #1. If the strongest from #2 for instance stayed loyal #1 might see a fight but crushing morale with 6 minute crystal bashes puts all hope out for the peeps in #2. Our server for instance has had the same #1 fac for ages that like to see how fast they can win the war so they can complain about how much fun they arent having with only one fac fighting them. I never understood, why pwn the crystal if you get maybe 1 TW a week, back off let them regroup play around and actually have some fun. Then people start complaining oh my charm is being eaten up by doing that, but wth you work up all week for a roll? Why can't the #1 fac peeps see that its never been fun for the #2 or #3 to get owned like that. Why tw if everyone flocks to the #1 or the #1 crushes all opponents even in a gank. If the per day limitations were removed id be all for ganking the hell out of a self rightous fac holding all the land. But as it stood before and after the reset the #1 fac could only be ganked by 3 at a time. Being the best so long, they're used to it and win all 3 fights usually and win their attack so even if they lose 1 land they gain 1 the same weekend so they dont end up losing at all. With this reset the mid facs actually have fun 3 hour tws and the #1 fac in our server has started to see that they spread out in facs to take part in these. I'll wrap this up, if TW really is supposed to be fun for the #1 why the hell do you spend a week to win in 6 minutes, think about that, and dont say oh they should merge or recruit better so they dont get owned. Just figure theyd have a little more fun if they fought it out with the #2 than use the crush fast method.

Holy wall of text Batman!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks for the sig Ophida :3
  • MystieMoon - Dreamweaver
    MystieMoon - Dreamweaver Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited April 2012
    So back in the old days, people only fought the big guild when there was no choice but to do so

Nowadays everyone just kinda ignores the big guild until map reset

b:laugh

I just think the player base isn't as competitive as they say they are. For craps sake we have people complaining about how winning is too easy and boring, yet refuse to move from their dominant guild. At the same no one attacks the dominant guild because not trying at all is better than failing apparently. How can you expect competitive TW with such weak competitive spirit?
  • Heartz - Dreamweaver
    Heartz - Dreamweaver Posts: 422 Arc User
    edited April 2012
    So back in the old days, people only fought the big guild when there was no choice but to do so

I just think the player base isn't as competitive as they say they are. For craps sake we have people complaining about how winning is too easy and boring, yet refuse to move from their dominant guild. At the same no one attacks the dominant guild because not trying at all is better than failing apparently. How can you expect competitive TW with such weak competitive spirit?

some of us dont want to change guild, cos' its been home and all friends there for years. I've been in same community/tw fac since march 2009, the fac did disband and make new after get full map tho, but was same ppl.. And any other tw fac simply isnt serious enough, got incompentent leaders or officers that should never been choosen.
    105 - 105 - 105 (14th march 2014)

• Klizzahrd - Lost City
    Klizzahrd - Lost City Posts: 91 Arc User
    edited April 2012

Most people don't play only for TW. Many aren't going to leave a guild that they've called home for ages (even years) just to get a better war on the weekend.

As stated before, the competition stemmed from factions trying to prevent the dominant guild from succeeding. We cared about who owned the map. The fun is taken out when TW becomes POINTLESS, as it just became for many people. This is why you won't see people spreading out.
  • _Petal_ - Harshlands
    _Petal_ - Harshlands Posts: 499 Arc User
    edited April 2012
    Those complaining about TW resets are either in those huge factions who take most of the map, or haven't peeked at other maps on other servers prior to this change...or both.

Michael, Quill, I usually agree with you on most subjects, but this is one where I can't disagree with you more.

Let's take Harshlands for example.

I wish I had a picture of what the map looked like during the Raging Tides expansion.
    Imagine a huge blotch of ugly orange splattered all over the majority of the map...and this itty bitty smudge of green on the top right corner.

Here's what it looks like now--
    http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i206/xyz_02/2012-04-1515-08-10.jpg

Most factions on this map currently are well-organized people who recruit 9x or higher. (Which, btw, Catalyst is now on there TWICE--ugly dark pink smear and ugly vomit color, which are their ridiculously overgeared alts.) Before this 6 month rule most of those factions on that map didn't last more than a few months.

There were instances on other servers, where one faction owned most of the map, and almost every server was in that situation. Everybody called for something to be done about it, and now, something is done. Now everybody has a chance to gain some money by defending themselves against people on the same level as themselves, instead of holding a land for a week or so before their version of Catalyst came and steamrolled past.

Could Catalyst still steamroll everybody on our map? Naturally. But now, they can't take the entire map--which means the rest of us still have a shot of at least getting something out of it.

A faction only holds 200 people. A sever holds much, much more. The want of the majority outweighs the want of the minority.
    They made fun of me because I wasn't a R8 Psychic...and then came third cast. It's not funny anymore.

Reason 88 to buy a makeover scroll:
    gomba: "Your butt looks like an eggplant."
    Q_Q
  • ArmaniEx - Harshlands
    ArmaniEx - Harshlands Posts: 191 Arc User
    edited April 2012
    People whine regardless of what they do with TW, problem is not the tw time frame (old or new). The problem as we all know it is the unbalanced pvp system; if they were going to give us gear with so much damage output and make defense lvls so influential why not modify TW? Make different challenges besides the old epic 3 lane, towers, and grab that cata.

Its more fun to tw alts than on any endgame character, why? simple because you dont 1-4 shot anything in your way while your running up a lane.

The map is quite colorful now on HL like Petal said, but the only people for the most part enjoying tw are ppl like decides who have a number of alts, crimsonjr all alts, and maybe1 or 2 other factions whos player never upgraded their gear.
  • Heartz - Dreamweaver
    Heartz - Dreamweaver Posts: 422 Arc User
    edited April 2012

Its more fun to tw alts than on any endgame character, why? simple because you dont 1-4 shot anything in your way while your running up a lane.

I wish I could do that. But many good geared in other guilds too.
    105 - 105 - 105 (14th march 2014)

• _Petal_ - Harshlands
    _Petal_ - Harshlands Posts: 499 Arc User
    edited April 2012

You can thank Rank 9 for that, and recast Rank 9. (Despite the fact that only a very, very small handful of people have managed to accomplish that much on our server, the only one directly coming to my mind in Harshlands being Curses herself, and Wytche, if I remember correctly. I've yet to peek at any of them recently.)

At least you could compete with other people in Nirvana, even recast Nirvana. Hell, you can compete with recast Rank 8.
    Take as an example, that I know a very cheap Wizard. He used to spend a good deal of money on this game with his Barbarian, before APS characters became disgustingly mainstream in the Raging Tides expansion--He vowed never to spend another cent until PWE fixed it. I can't say I blamed him, having spent around 3k on that barb's gear and such.

His Wizard is not fantastically geared. In fact, we both fully admit that his gear is a complete joke--still mostly in TT90 green, with a decently refined 99 weapon.
    Despite all this, he can still take out a majority of Rank 8 Wizards, R8 Psychics, Rank 8 Assassins, Rank 8 Archers, and a collection of very dumb R8 BM's. He can hold his own against averagely geared Nirvana classes. It's not like he can't beat other people over his own gear range.

But god help him if he so much is sneezed on by ANY class wearing Rank 9. He might as well target himself, and cast Sage BIDS, because there is absolutely no fighting Rank 9's.

At least, not without paying boatloads of money in order to equal or surpass the gear of your enemies, which is what the company wants you to do in the first place. It's the same reason they don't close off Frostcovered City to people below 75---They WANT you to cheat to 101 so you can fork over more money, so you can actually compete against other players.

You can't COMPETE with endgame anymore, not without spending money yourself. That's the bottom line.

You used to be able to, but then again, TW used to be fun, didn't it?

PS: Decide's not enjoying their wars, trust me. We've been beating them so badly they can't even **** in the direction of our crystal... b:chuckle
    They made fun of me because I wasn't a R8 Psychic...and then came third cast. It's not funny anymore.

Reason 88 to buy a makeover scroll:
    gomba: "Your butt looks like an eggplant."
    Q_Q
  • Quilue - Sanctuary
    edited April 2012
    Those complaining about TW resets are either in those huge factions who take most of the map, or haven't peeked at other maps on other servers prior to this change...or both.

Michael, Quill, I usually agree with you on most subjects, but this is one where I can't disagree with you more.

Let's take Harshlands for example.

I wish I had a picture of what the map looked like during the Raging Tides expansion.
    Imagine a huge blotch of ugly orange splattered all over the majority of the map...and this itty bitty smudge of green on the top right corner.

Here's what it looks like now--
    http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i206/xyz_02/2012-04-1515-08-10.jpg

Most factions on this map currently are well-organized people who recruit 9x or higher. (Which, btw, Catalyst is now on there TWICE--ugly dark pink smear and ugly vomit color, which are their ridiculously overgeared alts.) Before this 6 month rule most of those factions on that map didn't last more than a few months.

There were instances on other servers, where one faction owned most of the map, and almost every server was in that situation. Everybody called for something to be done about it, and now, something is done. Now everybody has a chance to gain some money by defending themselves against people on the same level as themselves, instead of holding a land for a week or so before their version of Catalyst came and steamrolled past.

Could Catalyst still steamroll everybody on our map? Naturally. But now, they can't take the entire map--which means the rest of us still have a shot of at least getting something out of it.

A faction only holds 200 people. A sever holds much, much more. The want of the majority outweighs the want of the minority.

What you're not understanding is that some servers are not dominated by a single guild, so the fight is in map domination. On such servers, a reset is unnecessary, while in less active servers, a reset is delaying the problem of low server population. Let me tell you what happened the last time a guild tried to take over the whole map on Sanctuary:

They got ganked 10-20+ times a week until they started losing land. The attacking faction only attacks once a week, the defending dominant faction had to defend 10-20 times a week. Their weekends were filled with getting up and staying up for fights, so their people were under more stress than you can ever imagine. Getting there is the fun journey, but keeping the map is catastrophic for a faction. (Probably why LC's #1 kept resetting themselves) That is what happens to the "big one" on an active server. What keeps the map interesting are the forces of competition, and a dominant guild only serves to motivate and build up other guilds. A lot of smaller guilds at that time were able to have decently long fights against the #1 guild all the same because it was 3v1. The map became many different colors without the need for a reset. So if your server's TW is consistently dominated by one guild and people were giving up, it's because the server needs more people. Resetting would help, but the bigger problem is the unattractive game that they need to address.

At the same time your server had an unchallengeable guild, my guild was struggling and not even consistently succeeding with trying to double defend. It doesn't make sense that we get a periodic reset - no one was going to dominate. As for the smaller factions? A lot were on the map before the reset! Someone bloody show us a map of pre-reset Sanct and you all would see how wrong you are that Sanct needs periodic resets, or that the majority benefited from it and we're just whining. It's nonsense because "the majority" were on the map already!

Anyways, as others have said again and again, the reset period should simply be longer or at least be different across the servers.