Censorship Petition

Options

Comments

• noitulover1945
    noitulover1945 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Why all nations of the world should speak in game in an American way?

"Everyone is entitled to all the rights and freedoms set forth in this Declaration, without distinction of any kind, such as race, colour, sex, language, religion, political or other opinion, national or social origin, property, birth or other status. Furthermore, no distinction shall be made on the basis of the political, jurisdictional or international status of the country or territory to which a person belongs, whether it be independent, trust, non-self-governing or under any other limitation of sovereignty"

The Universal Declaration of Human Rights Article 2.
    http://www.un.org/en/documents/udhr/index.shtml#atop

If you don't return for us a freedom of speech, we will be compelled to address in United Nations council...
  • Ashivas - Dreamweaver
    Ashivas - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,293 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Ashura Tyrant you foul mouthed little boy! I must keel yew nao =3
  • xarge
    xarge Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    i want russian letters for the faction chat. English way to speak russian is killing me b:cry
  • Sarrafeline - Sanctuary
    Sarrafeline - Sanctuary Posts: 4,661 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Oi. Looks like I won't be coming back to PWI any time soon. *Facepalm*

Can someone please, PLEASE, tell PWE that if they are gonna do something, they should at least do it correctly?

Come on... A racist censor? That's just wrong...
    101 Sage Sin*/Archer
    100 Demon BM*/Barb
    96 Demon Cleric/Sage Seeker
    95 Demon Wiz/
    94 Sage Veno
    85 Psy/80 Mystic
    And a handful of other alts, all 79 and under.
    *Pre RB level
  • Yukkuri - Heavens Tear
    Yukkuri - Heavens Tear Posts: 624 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Hey all, there were definitely too many additions to the chat filter, and we're working now to reduce its size. We'll also continue tweaking as necessary.

I'll let you know when the first changes roll out.

Instead of "tweaking"... I haven't updated my laptop's copy of the game this week, you want it's badwords.txt file? Since your players simply want it back to what it was, it will make them happy instead of adding fuel to your unpleasable fan base which somehow gets horribly interpreted and ends up with us not getting nice things. b:surrender
    [sigpic][/sigpic]LOVE
    Information: It is proven that the majority of the Perfect World International player base suffers from "Motorcylophobia".

-Every single patch to an MMO causes players to cry: "They Changed It, Now It Sucks". Every. Single. Patch. -Taken from TV Tropes.
  • Norala - Dreamweaver
    Norala - Dreamweaver Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    TVTropes links
    Well there goes my day.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Yukkuri - Heavens Tear
    Yukkuri - Heavens Tear Posts: 624 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    It's addictive because you know it's true. b:sad
    [sigpic][/sigpic]LOVE
    Information: It is proven that the majority of the Perfect World International player base suffers from "Motorcylophobia".

-Every single patch to an MMO causes players to cry: "They Changed It, Now It Sucks". Every. Single. Patch. -Taken from TV Tropes.
  • Shandaar - Dreamweaver
    Shandaar - Dreamweaver Posts: 196 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Must... resist... TVTropes... I leave for work in 40 minutes... ._.

Yes, yes, please revert the censorship! D:. I'm sorry but this one is just downright horrible DX. I didn't think it was going as far as censorsing an entire LANGUAGE but come on. I don't even have words for it that would pass said filter... DX.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • _blood_rain - Sanctuary
    _blood_rain - Sanctuary Posts: 2,532 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Funny because when people want to use those words or phrases they will simply use a period or extra letters or spaces to bypass the filter, yet it's the people who happen to have these words unintentionally in their names that are actually getting screwed.
  • GenericBrand - Archosaur
    GenericBrand - Archosaur Posts: 280 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    When I first started playing this game the fact that words were censored and you could not change this "feature" blew my mind. I adjusted my speech so I wouldn't see the asterisks quite so often. But now, the words that get censored are just ridiculous. Grasshopper, really? So **** cleaning up my speech. I want to fill up the screen with more stars!

Voted yes.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Bellarie - Raging Tide
    Bellarie - Raging Tide Posts: 603 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    beat me is censored ingame. But I can say ****, ****, ****, boobies, A S S, and V A G(Amusingly, these two words are censored on the forums, but not ingame)

Trying to clean up world chat is not the same as censoring everyone's everythign chat and names as well. I don't see NPC's with names like Ho having them censored....
  • krittycat
    krittycat Posts: 4,187 Community Moderator
    edited June 2011
    Options
    But now, the words that get censored are just ridiculous. Grasshopper, really? So **** cleaning up my speech. I want to fill up the screen with more stars!

Grasshopper has been censored to gr********* for as long as I have played the game, so it's nothing new. It's just the incredible number of censored words since the last patch that have brought it to the forefront.b:surrender
  • X_trigger_X - Heavens Tear
    X_trigger_X - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,301 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    What if we want to discuss the problems currently happening in Japan? b:chuckle (Yes Japan is censored ingame)

Whoever included this idea in the patch notes is a complete dip sht.
  • LadyTsuki - Harshlands
    LadyTsuki - Harshlands Posts: 148 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    yep no one under thirteen, therefore this filter is innapropriate. I personally consider this laziness on the part of the GMs. What happened to being online, in game and actually you know, being there? :|

It's actually not inappropriate, thirteen year olds do count as children. Personally I think PWE should just raise the age limit to 16, because 13 year olds have no business playing a game focused on violence. They should all be
    playing neopets. :s

That being said, PWE has to have some sort of censor filter as stipulated by whatever laws are in the States that says that certain sites and games have to have a censorship for those who are younger ie people 13 of age. However like many other sites and games, the censorship is optional. If you don't want to see the censors you can turn it off especially if you're if the age of majority, and keep it on if you feel offended by what's being said and or underage.

@Frankie, it's better to just make censoring optional since most of us who speak another language besides English can get past those filters :s For example instead of calling Kritty's alt an a s s h o l e for killing me or being all leeroy jenkins in a squad, I can simply call him an arshloch. :s
    Formerly LadyTsukiyo: Nab cleric, and Harshlands biggest loudmouth. Annoying the living **** out of people, Self-Proclaimed Queen of Sarcasm and One-liners circa 1990.

Died as a cleric, reincarnated into a mystic.
  • GenericBrand - Archosaur
    GenericBrand - Archosaur Posts: 280 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    KrittyCat wrote: »
    Grasshopper has been censored to gr********* for as long as I have played the game, so it's nothing new.
    So is "****". It's my favorite word and I can't even use it in-game. Ever.
    b:cry
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2011
    Options
    It's actually not inappropriate, thirteen year olds do count as children. Personally I think PWE should just raise the age limit to 16, because 13 year olds have no business playing a game focused on violence. They should all be playing neopets. :s

Please tell me you're not serious.

The filter is ridiculous no matter how you look at it.
  • Psytrac - Dreamweaver
    Psytrac - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,488 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    here's a pointless filter: punta, meaning point
    I'm a guy, not a woman, that is all
    "When you're on Team Bring it, every morning your feet hit the floor, the good lord says "good morning" and the devil says 'Oh **** they're up' " - Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson
    Are you on Team Bring it?
  • LadyTsuki - Harshlands
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Please tell me you're not serious.

The filter is ridiculous no matter how you look at it.
    Any filtering is ridiculous but look at the society we live in current;y. Everyone and their mother gets offended by name calling, and or certain words because they're "offensive". Read the rest of my post that I edited...
    Formerly LadyTsukiyo: Nab cleric, and Harshlands biggest loudmouth. Annoying the living **** out of people, Self-Proclaimed Queen of Sarcasm and One-liners circa 1990.

edited June 2011
    Options
    Any filtering is ridiculous but look at the society we live in current;y. Everyone and their mother gets offended by name calling, and or certain words because they're "offensive". Read the rest of my post that I edited...

So? It's not PWI's responsibility to coddle these oversensitive twits with a censor that screws over existing players, severely impeding on their actual ability to play the game. And as far as I am aware of, there aren't state laws that require words and phrases be censored in games. It's also not PWI's responsibility to babysit people's children. If people are really so sensitive about being exposed to these things, what are they doing on the internet anyway. This is mainly some trendy bs that people are getting into because they are giving in to the demands of said oversensitive twits. This censor is stupid and it needs to be reverted. I was fine not being able to say ch.inchilla and grass.hopper, but this is really a problem for players who have been directly affected.
  • LadyTsuki - Harshlands
    edited June 2011
    Options
    So? It's not PWI's responsibility to coddle these oversensitive twits with a censor that screws over existing players, severely impeding on their actual ability to play the game. And as far as I am aware of, there aren't state laws that require words and phrases be censored in games. It's also not PWI's responsibility to babysit people's children. If people are really so sensitive about being exposed to these things, what are they doing on the internet anyway. This is mainly some trendy bs that people are getting into because they are giving in to the demands of said oversensitive twits. This censor is stupid and it needs to be reverted. I was fine not being able to say ch.inchilla and grass.hopper, but this is really a problem for players who have been directly affected.

Well I'm sure the FCC and whatever federal agency handles video games does require there to be a filter of some sort for those younger than the law of majority. In America, it is the company's job to babysit the young and impressionable because we know just how incompetent their parents are. Majority of people in America are these overly sensitive twits that take the fun out of everything. Which is why the filter should be an option. If you don't like censors then you have the option to turn them off. If you don't like people talking about sex all the time or racial slurs being used, what have you then you have the option to turn it on.

edited June 2011
    Options
    Well I'm sure the FCC and whatever federal agency handles video games does require there to be a filter of some sort for those younger than the law of majority. In America, it is the company's job to babysit the young and impressionable because we know just how incompetent their parents are. Majority of people in America are these overly sensitive twits that take the fun out of everything. Which is why the filter should be an option. If you don't like censors then you have the option to turn them off. If you don't like people talking about sex all the time or racial slurs being used, what have you then you have the option to turn it on.

.....This game wasn't intended for people under 18 I don't believe. And um, No I don't believe the FCC is charged with monitoring what game users say to each other.
  • Psytrac - Dreamweaver
    Psytrac - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,488 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    .....This game wasn't intended for people under 18 I don't believe. And um, No I don't believe the FCC is charged with monitoring what game users say to each other.
    ESRB warning: "online interactions NOT RATED"

that's the spash in every game I play online, right before I connect online
    I'm a guy, not a woman, that is all
    "When you're on Team Bring it, every morning your feet hit the floor, the good lord says "good morning" and the devil says 'Oh **** they're up' " - Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson
    Are you on Team Bring it?
  • LadyTsuki - Harshlands
    edited June 2011
    Options

When you sign up for an account on pwi you have to be 13 or older to join. So yeah in a way it is intended for people under the age of 18. Though a majority of the population is from 18-39 possibly. And you'd be surprised with what the FCC tries to monitor :s

Either way there are problem anal parents, ****ed up kiddie obsessive groups that are breathing down Perfect World Entertainments back for some sort of new filter. :s I remember last year when a mom actually had the gaul to propose that people who use world chat for their own chats to be banned for saying such vulgar things because she didn't like what her daughter who was probably 16 was reading. Her name escapes me, and this was on the Harshlands forum.

In any case, makes me even more glad that I know a few choice words in different languages :P And that I borrow names from mythology figures for usernames and use a dictionary.

• Miugre - Heavens Tear
    Miugre - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    /agree with most of what's been said in the last page or two.

Online interactions are never rated because the ESRB damn well knows that people on MMOs (particularly the little kiddies we're so hell-bent on "protecting") are going to be immature, name-calling, cuss-slinging, racial-slurring a-holes behind their computer screens.

And say what you will about anonymity (or rather, don't - because that would open a whole new can of worms and probably derail the thread), but the fact is that you, as a functional member of society, will be subjected to the full force of its negativity over the course of your life. Pretending we can train our kids to stick their fingers in their ears and go "LA LA LA LA LA" every time someone cusses will just result in a different breed of immaturity (not to mention encouraging those who cuss/slander/etc., because that's just giving them attention they want).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Yes, I'm still a stubborn holdout in favor of the old game. Haters gonna hate. ;]

Other Active Characters:
    LigerKing (Barb), Girasole (BM), Shamsheer (Sin), ArborSoul (Mystic).
  • VenusArmani - Dreamweaver
    VenusArmani - Dreamweaver Posts: 6,009 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    here's a pointless filter: punta, meaning point

Punta is a slang term for ****. I don't really know why....

Also I've come to the horrible realization that I know far too many putdowns and ways to cuss. V.V Everyone is like this isn't offensive and i'm sitting here laughing my butt off. I swear I'm in general a nice person.....lol. Although, I've learned quite a few new ones too with this censor list and you guys have flat out ruined some innocent ones for me. QQ
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks Silvy for the superb sig <3

VenusArmani's word of the moment: Expand your Vocabulary, Expand your horizons!
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=17992481&postcount=189
    Pusillanimous:
    1) lacking courage or resolution; cowardly; faint-hearted
    2) Proceeding from or indicating a cowardly spirit
  • LadyTsuki - Harshlands
    edited June 2011
    Options
    /agree with most of what's been said in the last page or two.

Online interactions are never rated because the ESRB damn well knows that people on MMOs (particularly the little kiddies we're so hell-bent on "protecting") are going to be immature, name-calling, cuss-slinging, racial-slurring a-holes behind their computer screens.

And say what you will about anonymity (or rather, don't - because that would open a whole new can of worms and probably derail the thread), but the fact is that you, as a functional member of society, will be subjected to the full force of its negativity over the course of your life. Pretending we can train our kids to stick their fingers in their ears and go "LA LA LA LA LA" every time someone cusses will just result in a different breed of immaturity (not to mention encouraging those who cuss/slander/etc., because that's just giving them attention they want).
    Doesn't change the fact that most parents are the most anal retentive people who are so incompetent that they would rather rage at companies for monitoring their children then doing it themselves. Especially since they can hold up the power card "Sue!" and use it to threaten companies like PWE to get what they want :s Probably the only reason PWI even has a censor.

• Jatoni - Sanctuary
    Jatoni - Sanctuary Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Do they have any idea how bad they F***ed up the game by doing this?? What exactly were they trying to accomplish in a game that's MADE FOR ADULTS WITH A HEAVY CENSOR...
  • Endariel - Dreamweaver
    Endariel - Dreamweaver Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    And here I was wondering what all the odd names were... If it happened to me I would be really pissed off.

More so, some of these words are absurd to censor, after all the word *** is another word for donkey (and oddly more used by people who work with animals or farmers.. go figure), and I won't even start on the other words (sat with dictionary couple of months ago and saw that far too many "bad" words are in fact quite dainty and legal words from various proffesions and locations, which means that the only reason for you to see those words as offencive is by being the type of person who loves to use offencive language and generally hates anything that lives, breathes, exists on earth and is not their own).

You want to censor? great! Please add an option to turn it off so I can read what my friend, who owns 3 female dogs and 5 cats, PMed me about one of his cats being really friendly with her dog and how they love to go on vigorous trips in the afternoon to visit her grandpa who owns a farm with several barn animals and, among them a horse he calls Sam, who is most likely indeed an uncle to some young foal somewhere, and not to mention her grandpas name, which for some obscure reason was attached to the male reproductive external organ. So by all means, censor, but at least let us choose whether we want to see ******* or the proper word which was said. I am sure as adults we can decide what is offencive and black list the idiot who used the wrong word ourselves.

This is my opinion, hope you find it worthy.
    I need not tell lies, I make truth happen.

- Vanquish now, Vanquish forever -
  • NiightmareXz - Harshlands
    NiightmareXz - Harshlands Posts: 1,569 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Pwi, you done goofed.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ˙buoɹʇs ǝq ןן,ı ʇɐɥʇ ɟןǝsʎɯ ןןǝʇ ı os
  • VenusArmani - Dreamweaver
    VenusArmani - Dreamweaver Posts: 6,009 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Doesn't change the fact that most parents are the most anal retentive people who are so incompetent that they would rather rage at companies for monitoring their children then doing it themselves. Especially since they can hold up the power card "Sue!" and use it to threaten companies like PWE to get what they want :s Probably the only reason PWI even has a censor.

Uh, no. PWI's terms and conditions gives parents no legal recourse to sue because it mandates all players be over the age of 18 and lets parents know they can't be held liable if their kid chooses to circumvent the age limit. ON a side note, obscenity is not protected by freedom of speech in the United States. Not to mention that all websites that accept people of certain age limits have a legal responsibility to deliver what they promised contractually to deliver. Most parents are not running around suing sites that dont' deserve it. If you open your site to 13 years old, and say that children are welcome you have a legal responsilibilty to provide them with a safe atmosphere. A parent shouldn't have to monitor their kids 24/7 and it's unreasonable to expect them to be able to do so. What they can do is let their kids know that they are only allowed to go to certain websites, and they have to be right to be angry if that website doesn't deliver what it contractually promised. Just like any contract under the sun. You can't sign a contract promising to pay someone for their service, get the service and then refuse to pay. Likewise they can't be expected to be paid if they don't deliver what they promise.

That being said they also stupidly said in their ToS that they would keep it clean, which means that people could threaten to sue if they don't make some attempt at doing so. Since they are too lazy and/or cheap to get some more game moderators they choose to use a filter. A really, really stupid filter that is far too aggressive and is censoring things that aren't dirty including things their own bosses yell and armor they designed. It's interrupting game play and was clearly a dumb mistake. They said that they are going to fix it, but who knows.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks Silvy for the superb sig <3

VenusArmani's word of the moment: Expand your Vocabulary, Expand your horizons!
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=17992481&postcount=189
    Pusillanimous:
    1) lacking courage or resolution; cowardly; faint-hearted
    2) Proceeding from or indicating a cowardly spirit