you can say **** but you cant say cums or kum O.o ._. MIX MESSAGES! QQ

Edit: Yay for post count!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero~
  • LadyTsuki - Harshlands
    LadyTsuki - Harshlands Posts: 148 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    There are people who have lvl 101 characters with Rank 9, which I'm sure that if you know anything about the game, it's difficult to grind enough to get enough coin to buy that, if you don't pay real money, who have been censored, and it wasn't their fault.
    Lvl 60 is nothing in this game.
    There's plenty of people who have lost everything in this game. As in, literally thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours of work. You don't have enough experience playing this game to say that's nothing.

It's difficult to get MOST things in the game but that doesn't mean it's impossible. My first cleric was lvl 75 when I not only quit but deleted it from existence. Hell it was hard to grind on that cleric as it is on my current one. But I don't make a fuss about it. I try my hardest and make the most of it. I mean for ****s sake DP points are actually pretty useful in getting event gold. That has to count for something? :s

Also Nightscream Island drops are really good, as those add up I'm sure you can make enough to get r9 or maybe...oh I don't know take the actual time to learn how to use a character :s
    Formerly LadyTsukiyo: Nab cleric, and Harshlands biggest loudmouth. Annoying the living **** out of people, Self-Proclaimed Queen of Sarcasm and One-liners circa 1990.

Died as a cleric, reincarnated into a mystic.
  • morrinarian
    morrinarian Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    It's difficult to get MOST things in the game but that doesn't mean it's impossible. My first cleric was lvl 75 when I not only quit but deleted it from existence. Hell it was hard to grind on that cleric as it is on my current one. But I don't make a fuss about it. I try my hardest and make the most of it. I mean for ****s sake DP points are actually pretty useful in getting event gold. That has to count for something? :s

Also Nightscream Island drops are really good, as those add up I'm sure you can make enough to get r9 or maybe...oh I don't know take the actual time to learn how to use a character :s
    Rank 9 costs hundreds...maybe even thousands of dollars b:angry
    stop....how long does it take u to grind 1.4m coin? that's only 1 gold.
    there only reason why you're saying these things is because you dont understand how this game works and this didnt happen to you so your apathetic to it.
    im going to start ignoring whatever you say until you say something with some real backing because it's all too obvious you don't know what you're talking about...
  • Katzyn - Sanctuary
    Katzyn - Sanctuary Posts: 1,270 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    you can say **** but you cant say cums or kum O.o ._. MIX MESSAGES! QQ

Mhmm...ridiculous...can't even say my faction's name...>_> Typing our fac website is difficult >_>
    Katzyn, level 101 Demon Veno
    Kylenea, level 99 Demon Cleric
    ForestSonata, level 6x Mystic
    Proud wifeh of Yudai <3
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ~Courtesy of the amazing Forsakenx~
  • NiightmareXz - Harshlands
    NiightmareXz - Harshlands Posts: 1,569 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    funny how I can still say "dumbass" in game but I cant say gr.as.s.ho.p.p.e.r LOL

wtf is an **** hopper anyway?
    I picture a gangbang.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ˙buoɹʇs ǝq ןן,ı ʇɐɥʇ ɟןǝsʎɯ ןןǝʇ ı os
  • brazenbusboy
    brazenbusboy Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    I am happy to see PWI making an effort in the right direction concerning inappropriate usernames and chat language. Some of the usernames out there are just plain crude and disgusting.

Who hasn't declined a Squad invite from someone with an obscene username? I know I don't want to spend the next 30 minutes trading squad chat with 'x-rated_username-here', no matter how 'pro' their gear is.

Is this filter effort perfect, maybe not, but I am still glad to see the movement in the right direction.

Filters are never perfect, but I would rather have them, than put up with not having them in situations where abuse is likely. This game is not a public place, so free speech is not an issue. It is a private place, and many of us in this private place can deal with adult language, but with discretion. Spamming the entire game world with x-rated user-name is way over the line in my book.

Try writing a filter that satisfies your judgment. Give it at least 5 minutes of your time. By the time you get to 50+words I am sure you will start to see the problem. The alternative to algorithms is of course devoting staff to eyeball everything. This just increases costs beyond what F2P can support.

You know what they say in China, the nail that sticks up, gets hammered the hardest, well that applies to customer service as in 'oh your account got banned because of the filter... read the rules, next ticket.' Thats just the way things work in communist countries, so you either put up with it or leave (if you can.) Tough luck. Perhaps putting a little thought into your user-name next time might be a good idea.

We all know PWI mostly puts dev effort into things that generate cash, so any work on filtering out this garbage we all get showered in is better than none. It is unlikely they will do more in this area than this a quick and dirty band-aid attempt.

Thats my two cents, now I am going back to grinding.
    Just some guy
  • _Ink_ - Raging Tide
    _Ink_ - Raging Tide Posts: 400 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Honestly, I don't mind any of the censors. If I want to avoid a censor, I can go on voice chat. People shouldn't have names that they know aren't allowed and frankly I think it's kind of sad how many people do things they know are against TOS then QQ over it. I know a certain barb on my server who likes to do that. Why all the surprise when someone breaking the rules runs into trouble over it?

And, yeah, the censor isn't perfect. Sometimes it censors really stupid things that don't even make sense. But, hey, since people are complaining about changes at least we know they're working on it.
  • VenusArmani - Dreamweaver
    VenusArmani - Dreamweaver Posts: 6,009 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Honestly, I don't mind any of the censors. If I want to avoid a censor, I can go on voice chat. People shouldn't have names that they know aren't allowed and frankly I think it's kind of sad how many people do things they know are against TOS then QQ over it. I know a certain barb on my server who likes to do that. Why all the surprise when someone breaking the rules runs into trouble over it?

And, yeah, the censor isn't perfect. Sometimes it censors really stupid things that don't even make sense. But, hey, since people are complaining about changes at least we know they're working on it.

The problem is people with innocent names can't play the game anymore. For example, scuzeme is just a slang term for excuse me. She hasn't broken any rules but she can't get whispers and such anymore. The only way to communicate with her is to know her exact location and send her a random squad invite, you cant even tell her why you are squading her. In addition, you cant world chat that you are buying certain armor any more because the name has been censored, and even one of the bosses has been censored. People who make names like identity or chastity etc put a lot of thought into their name to come up with something unique, there is no way they could ever have thought it would be censored because if you look at the word identity and automatically think lol women's ****! then your mind was probably already in the gutter anyway.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks Silvy for the superb sig <3

VenusArmani's word of the moment: Expand your Vocabulary, Expand your horizons!
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=17992481&postcount=189
    Pusillanimous:
    1) lacking courage or resolution; cowardly; faint-hearted
    2) Proceeding from or indicating a cowardly spirit
  • Redmenace - Heavens Tear
    Redmenace - Heavens Tear Posts: 908 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    PWI is a privately owned game. It's not a Public Utility, or a Government program. The owners of PWI can do whatever they damn well please. You've read the user agreements - all your rights end at you logging on to the game.

Complain all you want, in the end the filter will stay. They wanted it that way. It makes more clients happier, and makes they lawyers happier, to filter naughty words.

Don't like it, vote with your feet.

Or join the long list of forum trolls who have "quit the game" but continue to rant and fume about a game they don't play.

I'm assuming the latter.

\not a problem for me
    \\didn't need to have a name with NAUGHTY words innit
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Robert A. Heinlein
  • LenieClarke - Heavens Tear
    LenieClarke - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,275 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    I am happy to see PWI making an effort in the right direction concerning inappropriate usernames and chat language. Some of the usernames out there are just plain crude and disgusting.

welcome to the internet. did you not pick up your introductory extra-thick, flame-proof skin suit? it should have been issued to you when you joined the online community; if not, drop on over to 4chan.org for an industrial-strength version.
    Who hasn't declined a Squad invite from someone with an obscene username?

me. i've declined squad invites for any number of reasons, but i seldom even look at the name of the inviter. their class, yes, but their name matters little to me.
    I know I don't want to spend the next 30 minutes trading squad chat with 'x-rated_username-here', no matter how 'pro' their gear is.

fun fact: there's some random person on my server who likes to hang around south archosaur and PM random female characters to ask them if they want him to be their bootlicking footslave. yes, in those terms. three of my guildmates, that i know of, have received these PMs so far; i myself have got them on two different alts.

his (i assume he's male) username is quite ordinary, just a regular firstname-surname combination, nothing remarkable at all.

(at least he's not annoyingly persistent, or anything; one blacklisting and he's gone.)

Filters are never perfect,

because they cannot be. censorship is an AI-complete problem.

censorship attempts to filter out parts of human communication based on its content, but to do that, the content of human communication must be understood. that takes human-level intelligence, at least. and to settle for anything less is to commit a basic category error; it is to mistake syntax for semantics, to think a problem on the level of meaning can be solved by an approach that only ever addresses the symbols that represent meaning.

but I would rather have them, than put up with not having them in situations where abuse is likely.

to say this is --- on a fundamental level --- to reduce your own humanity and ignore the humanity of others.

it reduces yourself, because it assumes that your comprehension of meaning is no better than what a machine can filter for you. it ignores others, because it assumes that the problem of "abuse" is something that only attaches to the forms of their speech as opposed to its content and intention. it ignores the dangerous parts of other people's humanity, by assuming they can be rendered harmless as easily as that.

Try writing a filter that satisfies your judgment. Give it at least 5 minutes of your time.

no. categorically, no. because i know i will not create an artificial intelligence in five minutes flat, and i know that human communication cannot be fit into any mere regular expression parser. to even suggest that it could is to insult its nature. i say that as a professional programmer.

if i was told to write a filter or lose my job, i'd whip up something like what we had originally --- something that can be demonstrated to be in existence, but won't work nearly well enough to really get in anybody's way; something that at least won't seriously impede human communication. (machines that get in the way of human communication are not helpful tools, but annoying obstacles. humans have been making and using tools to eliminate such obstacles since civilization began. it's part of what makes us human.)

The alternative to algorithms is of course devoting staff to eyeball everything. This just increases costs beyond what F2P can support.

"this game is intended for a mature audience, and you must be a legal adult to play." problem solved.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Heaven's Tear alts: KenLubin, Sou_Hon, JudyCaraco --- level 5x chars.
  • LadyTsuki - Harshlands
    edited June 2011
    Options

Who hasn't declined a Squad invite from someone with an obscene username? I know I don't want to spend the next 30 minutes trading squad chat with 'x-rated_username-here', no matter how 'pro' their gear is.

Is this filter effort perfect, maybe not, but I am still glad to see the movement in the right direction.

Filters are never perfect, but I would rather have them, than put up with not having them in situations where abuse is likely. This game is not a public place, so free speech is not an issue. It is a private place, and many of us in this private place can deal with adult language, but with discretion. Spamming the entire game world with x-rated user-name is way over the line in my book.

Try writing a filter that satisfies your judgment. Give it at least 5 minutes of your time. By the time you get to 50+words I am sure you will start to see the problem. The alternative to algorithms is of course devoting staff to eyeball everything. This just increases costs beyond what F2P can support.

You know what they say in China, the nail that sticks up, gets hammered the hardest, well that applies to customer service as in 'oh your account got banned because of the filter... read the rules, next ticket.' Thats just the way things work in communist countries, so you either put up with it or leave (if you can.) Tough luck. Perhaps putting a little thought into your user-name next time might be a good idea.

We all know PWI mostly puts dev effort into things that generate cash, so any work on filtering out this garbage we all get showered in is better than none. It is unlikely they will do more in this area than this a quick and dirty band-aid attempt.

Actually I don't deny squad invites from people with dirty names. I decline squad invites because depending on my level, squads **** up the amount of exp I get from grinding and drops. I'm a greedy little *****, so shoot me.

If you have a problem with language and dirty names....you shouldn't be on the internet.
    Formerly LadyTsukiyo: Nab cleric, and Harshlands biggest loudmouth. Annoying the living **** out of people, Self-Proclaimed Queen of Sarcasm and One-liners circa 1990.

• Elemental_w - Heavens Tear
    Elemental_w - Heavens Tear Posts: 111 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    The new censor is awful, I can't say the simplest things anymore such as "beat me up" because it has "beat me" in it, or "pass out" because it has "p[*** out]" in it. Truly stupid filter and some people have censored names and can't be PMed when looking for squads via world chat. Please revert this.
  • Miugre - Heavens Tear
    Miugre - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Add me to the (assuredly massive) list of people who would never judge a person by the "vulgarity" of their username. If anything, I'd only judge names if they were generic, uninspired class based names (e.g. "DAGGERSTABLOL"), which would raise a red flag in my mind reading "this person is likely very young and/or stupid and is unlikely to contribute positively to my squad."

And then I usually give them a chance anyway, because even those people deserve one (not that this prevents them from being kicked if they abuse said chance).

Also, LenieClarke wins the Internet.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Yes, I'm still a stubborn holdout in favor of the old game. Haters gonna hate. ;]

Other Active Characters:
    LigerKing (Barb), Girasole (BM), Shamsheer (Sin), ArborSoul (Mystic).
  • LadyTsuki - Harshlands
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Add me to the (assuredly massive) list of people who would never judge a person by the "vulgarity" of their username. If anything, I'd only judge names if they were generic, uninspired class based names (e.g. "DAGGERSTABLOL"), which would raise a red flag in my mind reading "this person is likely very young and/or stupid and is unlikely to contribute positively to my squad."

And then I usually give them a chance anyway, because even those people deserve one (not that this prevents them from being kicked if they abuse said chance).

Also, LenieClarke wins the Internet.

I don't even decline squad invites based on that. If I'm desperate on quests and even bhs, I'll accept any and all invites I don't care. But I am boot happy when people turn out to be crappy :s

• Ashivas - Dreamweaver
    Ashivas - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,293 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Just testing something.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Ashura Tyrant you foul mouthed little boy! I must keel yew nao =3
  • NOTREAL - Archosaur
    NOTREAL - Archosaur Posts: 194 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Just testing something.

b:laugh Your sig... Excellent.

See? Stupid filter is ****ing stupid.
  • SinfuINature - Harshlands
    SinfuINature - Harshlands Posts: 533 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    i mean honestly... we know what pwi tried to do... but what the hell were they thinking... i cannot defend anything pwi TRIED to do here... all words can be said just by saying... example.... b.e.a.t m.e so why even go to the trouble of adding this filter... if they dont change it a lot of ppl will rage quit b/c they lost thier lvl 101 character to all pm's... F.A.I.L on pwi...
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Not to mention they censored their own NPC's as well.
    @ Ashiva's signature.
  • MaidenChina - Harshlands
    MaidenChina - Harshlands Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    So I was in SP helping some noobies....when I noticed this guy named WeeDEG talking in normal chat...and all I could see from his name was ****EG.

-_- Smooth, PWI, really smooth. The least you could do is fix something that people care about. You act like all these scantily clad women are any better than someone with the username with the word Weed in it.

-1 for PWI....yet again.
  • SinfuINature - Harshlands
    SinfuINature - Harshlands Posts: 533 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    i wanna know who there the 29 tools who voted no in the pole? i have a bad feeling pwi will not fix this... just cant wait for more w.o.r.l.d c.h.a.t. l.i.k.e. t.h.i.s t.o g.e.t a.r.o.u.n.d t.h.e f.a.i.l f.i.l.t.e.r
  • Larkray - Dreamweaver
    Larkray - Dreamweaver Posts: 220 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    PWI is a privately owned game. It's not a Public Utility, or a Government program. The owners of PWI can do whatever they damn well please. You've read the user agreements - all your rights end at you logging on to the game.

Complain all you want, in the end the filter will stay. They wanted it that way. It makes more clients happier, and makes they lawyers happier, to filter naughty words.

Don't like it, vote with your feet.

Or join the long list of forum trolls who have "quit the game" but continue to rant and fume about a game they don't play.

I'm assuming the latter.

\not a problem for me
    \\didn't need to have a name with NAUGHTY words innit

Are all of you ****ing ****? How the hell is it that that Hitsug.aya is offensive? Or MyIdentity Or BeatMeUp Those are 3 friends that i cant message anymore in whisper because of this filter, where as other names such as FuqTheWorld or FookThisPoosy go unbanned or unfiltered?

Seriously, wake the **** up, open your god damn eyes, then pull your head out of your fat as.s. There's more to the issue than intentional profanity
    There's more to making a judging than everything being in black and white. The decision making process is a puddle of grays.
    True friends aren't those who would bail you out of jail, they're the one sitting with you in the cell saying, "Well that was fun!"
    Proud Level 101 Heavy/Arcane Tanking Fox Venomancer of DW~

Family is the people you're with, not the roof over your head. Ty Kindrid for helping me see that again.
  • LadyTsuki - Harshlands
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Are all of you ****ing ****? How the hell is it that that Hitsug.aya is offensive? Or MyIdentity Or BeatMeUp Those are 3 friends that i cant message anymore in whisper because of this filter, where as other names such as FuqTheWorld or FookThisPoosy go unbanned or unfiltered?

Seriously, wake the **** up, open your god damn eyes, then pull your head out of your fat as.s. There's more to the issue than intentional profanity

Since when is G A Y offensive? It means happy.

• RedsRose - Lost City
    RedsRose - Lost City Posts: 12,354 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    I did not read the entire thread but a few of my favorites that are censored:

Identity
    Treatment
    Grasshopper
    Cracker

I mean really? LOL b:sweat
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    RoidAbuse is awesome, only he would sell his sperm for gear!!

"Toughest monster? ..... RedsRose b:surrender" - Kantorek
    Where is my 1 v 1 Kan? b:mischievous
  • Redmenace - Heavens Tear
    Redmenace - Heavens Tear Posts: 908 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options

Never said they did a good job of it.

BTW, same to you, you ******************************************************************************** of **************************************************
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Robert A. Heinlein
  • LadyTsuki - Harshlands
    edited June 2011
    Options
    I did not read the entire thread but a few of my favorites that are censored:

Identity
    Treatment
    Grasshopper
    Cracker

I mean really? LOL b:sweat
    well cracker is used as a derogatory word :s

edited June 2011
    Options

So is the many variations of the 'N' word, but people can still say that.
  • GenericBrand - Archosaur
    GenericBrand - Archosaur Posts: 280 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Paulie want a cracker.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • NiightmareXz - Harshlands
    NiightmareXz - Harshlands Posts: 1,569 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options

but really, when like ALL of the playerbase is white/chinese it'd be hypocritical to call each other cracker. and how many people call other people cracker nowadays anyway?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ˙buoɹʇs ǝq ןן,ı ʇɐɥʇ ɟןǝsʎɯ ןןǝʇ ı os
  • LadyTsuki - Harshlands
    edited June 2011
    Options
    but really, when like ALL of the playerbase is white/chinese it'd be hypocritical to call each other cracker. and how many people call other people cracker nowadays anyway?

When like all? Ummm....you mean most. Not all -.-

• LenieClarke - Heavens Tear
    LenieClarke - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,275 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    but really, when like ALL of the playerbase is white/chinese it'd be hypocritical to call each other cracker.

...ALL of it? is this anything like how there really aren't any women on the internet?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Heaven's Tear alts: KenLubin, Sou_Hon, JudyCaraco --- level 5x chars.